Forum Settings
Forums

Why is mainstream anime and the community so braindead?

New
Dec 27, 2017 7:01 PM
Dec 2017
First, I'm honestly not trying to take shots at anyone but this is something that always crossed my mind when getting into anime because the community of anime is so incredibly different and off putting than the comic/superhero community and it's honestly sad.

When I'm discussing comics with practically anyone that has any knowledge of comicbooks or comic tv shows, they usually know what they are talking about. It could be about which characters have the best stories to which characters are the most powerful. Comicvine/comicbookmovie are perfect examples of people in the comic community knowing what they're talking about. There are so many comicbook tv shows, comicbooks and superhero movies that have creativity, depth and crazy different levels of power and usually people are still usually knowledgeable about most of it.

But in anime...OH BOY. ENTIRELY different story. It seems so many people I discuss anime with completely shut their brains off. I mean, dragon ball super is recommended by everyone I talked to and the show is so incredibly braindead and boring.

Jiren? Big buff alien that punches really hard. Anilaza? Big buff robot that punches really hard. Caulifla? Bigg buff mary sue that punches really hard. Goku? Big buff gary sue that punches really hard and even harder the more HIS HAIR COLOR CHANGES.

I mean MY GOD is it so repetitive and braindead it's funny. It's so bad that it honestly puts me off from anime as a whole since it's so incredibly popular for some reason.

But MAINSTREAM anime community is just as bad in my opinion. Example:http://i.imgur.com/jYmVexc.jpg

This is BY FAR the most accurate list for who is the most powerful anime characters at the moment. You got your OMNIPOTENT characters, then your multiversal level, then your universal level and so on (Saitama and Haruhi Suzumiya are in their own tier for obvious reasons) . Pretty much EVERYONE in comics know about these types of powerlevels. In anime, a lot of these characters are extremely unpopular so anytime you want to have a discussion regarding powerful anime characters and their unique abilites (unlike comics where people know what they're talking about) it's either Dragon ball or OPM. Literally. That's all people know in the anime community.

Now besides all that stuff. When I try to watch a popular anime series, it's pretty much what dragonball is. Just mary/gary sue spam and generic boring buff/cocky bad guy with nothing interesting or original. Why is that? Am I not looking in the right places? It doesn't take me much effort to find good comic related stuff and good discussion regarding it, why is it so hard for anime?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 27, 2017 7:03 PM

Sep 2009
Wow, nice text wall. I can answer that in three words:
Humans are stupid.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 27, 2017 7:10 PM

Oct 2015
Well, you and me are the same buddy. I've noticed this and I don't want to dwell around this topic again.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Dec 27, 2017 7:12 PM
Dec 2015
Well, the problem is that practically this whole thing is subjective. For Dragon Ball being good or bad, it's opinion. It depends what a person considers "boring" and how much of the same thing it takes to be considered repetitive. Perhaps they see something in the characters you don't, or you value something they don't and vice versa. The power level list is the same. The reason these are debated in the first place is because there isn't some objective answer. You can say "Haruhi is literally a God" but perhaps someone believe that that doesn't make her all-powerful since she's an idiot, doesn't know she is a God, and her normal skills are average at best. It's all opinion. Same goes for comics too, though perhaps the community there is more like minded.
Dec 27, 2017 7:13 PM

Jul 2015
Are you saying comics like Superman, Iron Man, Thor and others are not "Bigg buff mary sue that punches really hard"?

The guy who suggested Dragon Ball Super knowing your taste for comics is not wrong. Comics are very similiar to shounen anime.

Dec 27, 2017 7:24 PM

Nov 2015
First of all, Dragon Ball Super is popular cuz of the old Dragon Ball (and Z ofc). The series has its own loyal fans(a lot of them). Plus, you need to stop talking to filthy casuals. And why do you want to discuss powerlevels ? I really hate these types of discussions " Who do you think would win Saitama or Goku ?" Or "Who do you think is the strongest anime character ?" Anime is a whole genre.
They are all from different shows and you can't compare them. It's not like comparing two characters from the same universe, like both from DC comics or whatever.
Dec 27, 2017 7:28 PM

Mar 2016
Dragon Ball has a hardcore fanbase. A lot of us grew up watching Dragon Ball (Z). Because of nostalgia many look past the mediocre writing. Dragon Ball Super has many flaws, but it still gets us hyped up at times like we did when we were kids. This is the closure we need instead of the abomination called GT. I also want to add that the Dragon Ball franchise gets more stick than any other anime out there. Everyone knows Dragon Ball isn't perfect, but the amount of shit it gets compared to other animes is ridiculous.

Furthermore, if you want to discuss powerfull characters you shouldn't count any Dragon Ball characters. Because there simply isn't a more overpowered series.
Dec 27, 2017 7:37 PM

Mar 2015
In the anime community, there are not a lot of fans who've even gone past DB, OPM, and the like. At least from my experience lol. Just stop talking to casuals and talk to more experienced individuals.

But, Saitama and those DB character(s) are pretty powerful tbh.
woah there
Dec 27, 2017 7:39 PM

Aug 2017
oh frick, an alt account! looks like its my lucky day.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2017 7:41 PM
Jan 2013
you making this rant just cause you don't have buds to do power comparison chat my guy?
gone bai bai
Dec 27, 2017 7:44 PM

Mar 2017
See, I see several issues, Your argument jumps between ideas never fully fleshing them out. You proceed to generalize and then express frustration that two fanbases from two very different mediums aren't identical. Let alone the fact a fleshed out tier list for all of anime makes inherently no sense. Why would I make a tier list for shoujo or slice of life animes? But you assume shounen accounts for all of anime. onto how you cite anime as bland because you don't enjoy a mainstream battle shounen. Then you with end several generalizations. So from what I read, you aren't really here for a discussion. Far from it, you just strung along a series of assumptions due to anecdotal experience, decided to insult an entire medium and it's fanbase. Did I miss anything?
AbhorrentDec 27, 2017 8:01 PM

come, you sweet hour of death
Dec 27, 2017 7:45 PM

Oct 2017
First of all, I'm definitely not the biggest expert in comic superheroes/characters so I won't say I relate to your situation. However, I think the problem is that Dragon Ball is not your kind of show and you're trying too hard to find why the franchise appeals to so many people. I'm going to say to just ignore what the community said, don't get disgusted by the anime community just because of one show. Find other anime out there because I've been in communities that have great discussions (especially on sites like Reddit).

You said that the anime you're watching is the same old generic superpower kind of thing. Which ones are you referring to, other than DB and OPM? I recommend seeing Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Fate/Zero and Fate/UBW because they took a different approach to the power/battle system. Or watch other genres.

EDIT: On second reading, it seems you're actually talking about the community being ignorant about the power levels of anime characters. This is a really subjective topic simply because not everyone have watched the same anime as others and you shouldn't really care much about this. It's actually quite accurate that Dragon Ball (from what I've heard) have the most overpowered characters out there. Don't take what I said that seriously because I haven't watched DB yet.
OVERPOWERED99Dec 27, 2017 7:55 PM
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Dec 27, 2017 7:45 PM

Mar 2017
Well, anime has more to offer than shounen but yeah, the shounen shows are probably the closest to mainstream superhero comics.

If you want discussions where you can dick-measure one character with another character from another franchise, when does that ever work? Do you know how quickly Batman vs Iron Man discussions turn to shitters (like every other thing really)?

If you just want super-powered humans with sensible power levels, give Hunter X Hunter a try.

And give more anime genre a try. I'm sure the superhero comics have a variety of genre and stories that's not just Superman and Batman. Well, so does anime.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Dec 27, 2017 7:55 PM

Apr 2017
Nothing- said:
See, I see several issues, Your argument jumps between ideas never fully fleshing them out. You proceed to generalize and then express frustration that two fanbases from two very different mediums aren't identical. Let alone the fact a fleshed out tier list for all of anime makes inherently no sense. Why would I make a tier list for shoujo or slice of life animes? But you assume shounen accounts for all of anime. onto how you cite anime as bland because you don't enjoy a mainstream battle shounen. Then you end several generalizations. So from what I read, you aren't really here for a discussion. Far from it, you just strung along a series of assumptions due to anecdotal experience, decided to insult an entire medium and it's fanbase. Did I miss anything?
Yeah, the mic drop. Come on Randy, I know you know the importance of the mic drop
Dec 27, 2017 7:55 PM
Nov 2017
It must have made your dick hard when Superman won those DeathBattles on YT, didn't it?

It doesn't matter what fandom you go into, you always run into a circle-jerk at some level.
Dec 27, 2017 7:57 PM
Dec 2017
King_Cobra said:
Dragon Ball has a hardcore fanbase. A lot of us grew up watching Dragon Ball (Z). Because of nostalgia many look past the mediocre writing. Dragon Ball Super has many flaws, but it still gets us hyped up at times like we did when we were kids. This is the closure we need instead of the abomination called GT. I also want to add that the Dragon Ball franchise gets more stick than any other anime out there. Everyone knows Dragon Ball isn't perfect, but the amount of shit it gets compared to other animes is ridiculous.

Furthermore, if you want to discuss powerfull characters you shouldn't count any Dragon Ball characters. Because there simply isn't a more overpowered series.

>"Because of nostalgia many look past the mediocre writing. Dragon Ball Super has many flaws, but it still gets us hyped up at times like we did when we were kids."

That's pretty sad

>"Furthermore, if you want to discuss powerfull characters you shouldn't count any Dragon Ball characters. Because there simply isn't a more overpowered series."

Not even true.

Dec 27, 2017 8:02 PM

Mar 2017
The_Missing_Link said:
Nothing- said:
See, I see several issues, Your argument jumps between ideas never fully fleshing them out. You proceed to generalize and then express frustration that two fanbases from two very different mediums aren't identical. Let alone the fact a fleshed out tier list for all of anime makes inherently no sense. Why would I make a tier list for shoujo or slice of life animes? But you assume shounen accounts for all of anime. onto how you cite anime as bland because you don't enjoy a mainstream battle shounen. Then you end several generalizations. So from what I read, you aren't really here for a discussion. Far from it, you just strung along a series of assumptions due to anecdotal experience, decided to insult an entire medium and it's fanbase. Did I miss anything?
Yeah, the mic drop. Come on Randy, I know you know the importance of the mic drop

That reads as smug and that isn't my intent. Mic dropping is disrespect lol.

it was implied

come, you sweet hour of death
Dec 27, 2017 8:09 PM

Nov 2014
HP_Azathoth1 said:
First, I'm honestly not trying to take shots at anyone but this is something that always crossed my mind when getting into anime because the community of anime is so incredibly different and off putting than the comic/superhero community and it's honestly sad.

When I'm discussing comics with practically anyone that has any knowledge of comicbooks or comic tv shows, they usually know what they are talking about. It could be about which characters have the best stories to which characters are the most powerful. Comicvine/comicbookmovie are perfect examples of people in the comic community knowing what they're talking about. There are so many comicbook tv shows, comicbooks and superhero movies that have creativity, depth and crazy different levels of power and usually people are still usually knowledgeable about most of it.
The "anime community" was never a community, we're far too different. We happen to be in a niche medium (or at least arguably it was till a few years ago), so you have the people who have nothing in common with each other and watch shows with nothing in common between them except it's an animation and it's from Japan.

On the other hand, superhero movies are mostly of one genre with recurring characters, that's why most people who watch one will likely have watched most. Anime on the other hand, just because I watch one genre of anime doesn't mean I've got any interest in any other.

HP_Azathoth1 said:
But in anime...OH BOY. ENTIRELY different story. It seems so many people I discuss anime with completely shut their brains off. I mean, dragon ball super is recommended by everyone I talked to and the show is so incredibly braindead and boring.
I've never attempted to watch Dragonball in full, but I've seen bits of it and I've never been quite inclined to watch it.

In fact, I'm quite curious about one thing. So many people watch Dragonball online, yet out of all the people in real life who watch anime, not a single one has seen Dragonball as a whole.

HP_Azathoth1 said:
But MAINSTREAM anime community is just as bad in my opinion. Example:http://i.imgur.com/jYmVexc.jpg

This is BY FAR the most accurate list for who is the most powerful anime characters at the moment. You got your OMNIPOTENT characters, then your multiversal level, then your universal level and so on (Saitama and Haruhi Suzumiya are in their own tier for obvious reasons) . Pretty much EVERYONE in comics know about these types of powerlevels. In anime, a lot of these characters are extremely unpopular so anytime you want to have a discussion regarding powerful anime characters and their unique abilites (unlike comics where people know what they're talking about) it's either Dragon ball or OPM. Literally. That's all people know in the anime community.
Honestly I find the "who's stronger" people in both the anime community and the comic/superhro community pretty stupid. I don't know why they care who's stronger, because they'll never fight. Good characters also tend to have much more qualities than that, so their fighting powers are but a mere fraction of why I like them. It's pretty stupid that people even bother arguing about a practical non-factor.

I couldn't give less a fuck if someone thinks Saitama can beat Madoka or Haruhi. Same applies vice versa or with any other character.

HP_Azathoth1 said:
Now besides all that stuff. When I try to watch a popular anime series, it's pretty much what dragonball is. Just mary/gary sue spam and generic boring buff/cocky bad guy with nothing interesting or original. Why is that? Am I not looking in the right places? It doesn't take me much effort to find good comic related stuff and good discussion regarding it, why is it so hard for anime?
Dunno, I find superhero shows pretty unrelatable. Some part of that dislike comes me not liking action shows in general. That's not to say I dislike all superhero films/comics (because I do like quite a few), but most of them suck.

Mary Sue type characters are pretty few and far between,so I'm not quite sure what you are bitching about. Though I don't know what you've watched or haven't watched (aside from Dragonball, OPM and Haruhi?). I've not bothered watching Dragonball, and frankly don't care about its fanbase. If you have any other series you want to speak about, feel free to mention or update your anime list.

Nothing- said:
See, I see several issues, Your argument jumps between ideas never fully fleshing them out. You proceed to generalize and then express frustration that two fanbases from two very different mediums aren't identical. Let alone the fact a fleshed out tier list for all of anime makes inherently no sense. Why would I make a tier list for shoujo or slice of life animes? But you assume shounen accounts for all of anime. onto how you cite anime as bland because you don't enjoy a mainstream battle shounen. Then you with end several generalizations. So from what I read, you aren't really here for a discussion. Far from it, you just strung along a series of assumptions due to anecdotal experience, decided to insult an entire medium and it's fanbase. Did I miss anything?
^This.

Pretty ironic how the OP states the people in the ''anime community'' as brain dead, but provides exactly that amount of discussion value in his posts. Assuming people in the "anime community" have very little knowledge (not that it's incorrect), but displays limited knowledge to a point of using action shounen as a representation of all anime.
BurningSpiritDec 27, 2017 8:14 PM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 27, 2017 8:15 PM

Mar 2016
HP_Azathoth1 said:
King_Cobra said:

>"Because of nostalgia many look past the mediocre writing. Dragon Ball Super has many flaws, but it still gets us hyped up at times like we did when we were kids."

That's pretty sad

>"Furthermore, if you want to discuss powerfull characters you shouldn't count any Dragon Ball characters. Because there simply isn't a more overpowered series."

Not even true.

Dragon Ball had its time, I mean it has been around since the 80s, so I don't see whats sad about having at least a decent ending and closure for us who have been following it since the beginning (when it was actually good).

Btw since you don't agree with Dragon Ball having the most OP characters, am I wrong to assume that you're sort of new to anime?
Anyways I'm actually interested to see which series you think has the most OP characters
Dec 27, 2017 8:20 PM

Apr 2016
Well I can agree with most of that. My friends irl just won't shut up about Dragon Ball Super. I don't get how they still follow such a boring anime when it ended way back with DBZ.
Dec 27, 2017 8:31 PM

Aug 2016
I wouldn't say the community is braindead just because they watch Dragon Ball. While I'd say it isn't one of the best shows out there, I'd be lying if I said it didn't have a certain charm to it.

Anyway, I like that power chart. Very thorough. Even has Murasakiiro no Qualia representation, and in the proper tier.
Dec 27, 2017 8:57 PM

Jan 2017
That dumb chart you posted doesn't make any sense. Whoever made it must have skipped out on 13 years' worth of graph making which they should have been learning from elementary to high school. Is left to right supposed to be weaker to stronger? Is it supposed to be from the bottom to the top? The whole thing reads like some sort of overly-developed shitpost, which probably isn't far from the mark.
My name is 3DPD and this is my Internet forum signature. If there's anything I've learned in 21 years of using Internet forums, it's that life is meaningless and nothing we say or do here will matter in the grand scheme of things.
Dec 27, 2017 9:01 PM
Dec 2017
King_Cobra said:
HP_Azathoth1 said:

That's pretty sad

Not even true.

Dragon Ball had its time, I mean it has been around since the 80s, so I don't see whats sad about having at least a decent ending and closure for us who have been following it since the beginning (when it was actually good).

Btw since you don't agree with Dragon Ball having the most OP characters, am I wrong to assume that you're sort of new to anime?
Anyways I'm actually interested to see which series you think has the most OP characters

I've been a fan of dragonball for a good while but dragonball super is when I just had enough. It's way to repetitive.

>Anyways I'm actually interested to see which series you think has the most OP characters

Whatever series Kami tenchi is in
Dec 27, 2017 9:02 PM
Dec 2017
3DPD said:
That dumb chart you posted doesn't make any sense. Whoever made it must have skipped out on 13 years' worth of graph making which they should have been learning from elementary to high school. Is left to right supposed to be weaker to stronger? Is it supposed to be from the bottom to the top? The whole thing reads like some sort of overly-developed shitpost, which probably isn't far from the mark.

Considering demonbane, lord of nightmares, kami tenchi are all considered omnipotent/nigh-omnipotent

i'm guessing the strongest are at the top. Just guessing.
Dec 27, 2017 9:06 PM

Jul 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
Wow, nice text wall. I can answer that in three words:
Humans are stupid.

I was going to say the same thing, but i'll just quote you to hammer it in.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Dec 27, 2017 9:14 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Dragon Ball Super is pretty terrible. Sounds like you're hanging out in the wrong community my bro.
Dec 27, 2017 9:16 PM

Feb 2017
And why do you just stop creating problems due to the opinion of other people and start enjoying the anime? I thought that with "different community" you meant stupid fights, for example: mainstream animes.

if I do not like super dragon ball I just put it aside and see what I like.
'-'
The truly intelligent person is one who can pretend to be a fool in front of a fool who pretends to be intelligent.
Dec 27, 2017 9:20 PM

Feb 2017
now everyone feels critical saying that it is the mainstream, I thought that the anime was enjoyed
The truly intelligent person is one who can pretend to be a fool in front of a fool who pretends to be intelligent.
Dec 27, 2017 9:21 PM

Nov 2013
@HP_Azathoth1 Tbh I think comparing power levels is weird. Anime has too many different universe and different kind of powers. A normal high school boy could even kill Goku if they got death note and knows Goku's name from Tenkaichi Budokai. It's hard to find a character from HunterxHunter that could kill Logia type from One Piece cause they can only be defeated by haki.

You said there are many comic, but there are 40 new anime in every 3 months with their own universe/setting/genre. There are also thousands of manga that hasn't been adapted into anime. It's impossible for anime/manga fans to follow them all. I'm not really knowledgeable of comic, but arent they keep using same characters over & over? So it's easier to discuss about them unlike anime/manga who give births to hundreds universe & thousands of character every year.
Dec 27, 2017 9:29 PM

Oct 2017
HP_Azathoth1 said:

Jiren? Big buff alien that punches really hard. Anilaza? Big buff robot that punches really hard. Caulifla? Bigg buff mary sue that punches really hard. Goku? Big buff gary sue that punches really hard and even harder the more HIS HAIR COLOR CHANGES.

I mean MY GOD is it so repetitive and braindead it's funny. It's so bad that it honestly puts me off from anime as a whole since it's so incredibly popular for some reason.

There is really no "anime community" as you described it. Anime is a medium not a genre. If you say I like American comics it is inferred that you like superhero comics because that is what primarily dominates the industry and anything outside of that isn't well known.

Anime and manga don't have a genre that systematically dominates the industry in popularity. As a result a lot of people on here might say I like anime but one likes SOL series another likes battle shonen's like DBZ, others may likes idol series like Love Live and maybe some else specifically only likes shojo romance series or you have those that like gritty seinen action series. All of these series appeal to different age groups and interests so ultimately what community is there outside of we like animated series from Japan?

Ultimately you have a lot of people with vastly different views conglomerating on what constitutes entertainment or a good story so their views clash fairly often.

As for your issue most Western fans of anime are fairly casual compared to comic fans one because comics these days are very niche even in the States and only the really hardcore fans have stayed and as a result they tend to give more well thought opinions as they known the tropes the writers and artists whereas your average Western fan of anime has seen maybe 5 shows. When you look at the more mainstream aspect of comics aka the movies movie goers of the MCU movies can be also grouped in with your problems with casual anime fans in that they may not be as well versed in the content or may be more forgiving of certain aspects of a series that may bore or annoy die hard fans.

These more casual fans view of anime therefore is pretty limited to battle shonen's and are reluctant to branch out and try new series (I was like this for quite awhile) so it isn't that shocking they are only talking and recommending DB Super as that is probably one of the only series they are watching or know of.

Sounds to me that you are just tired of DB as an IP or battle shonen's as a genre. Personally DB ends for me at DBZ I just feel that anything else is just tacked on and I didn't like GT so really anything beyond that is disinteresting (they could have ended the story at the Cell arc as well). I would also classify myself as liking many mainstream series so the criticism isn't universal as personally I was turned off by DB Super.

Also IDK really understand why you feel that shonen battle anime are mindless and most superhero stories are not because the vast majority of superhero comics follow similar plot lines as most battle shonen's in that someone gets a power or decides to fight for "what is right" and gets into conflict with the villains of the world sure there are the exceptions like Watchman but in that regard it isn't that different than how the anime/manga industry is.
BilboBaggins365Dec 27, 2017 10:42 PM
Dec 27, 2017 9:46 PM

Jan 2017
HP_Azathoth1 said:
3DPD said:

Considering demonbane, lord of nightmares, kami tenchi are all considered omnipotent/nigh-omnipotent

Sailor Moon is significantly stronger than Goku? Really?

I don't even like Dragon Ball Super, but this is pretty ridiculous.
My name is 3DPD and this is my Internet forum signature. If there's anything I've learned in 21 years of using Internet forums, it's that life is meaningless and nothing we say or do here will matter in the grand scheme of things.
Dec 27, 2017 9:58 PM

Apr 2017
I never understood people's fascination with DB, I mean I never really watched it, other than the times it was on TV, but still, too much talking, too little fighting. That said, I don't know which community are you talking about. I've been in MAL for a while now and I've never seen anyone recommending DB super. In other non-anime forums, when anime comes up, I never seen DB being mentioned or discussed.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2017 10:03 PM

Mar 2013
I get where you're coming from. Every DB/Battle Shounen fan I've seen really love to constantly compare powersets/moves (w/e they're called) all the time. Let them do whatever they want. As long as they're not constantly shoving or insisting that "X Character" will always be powerful or weaker than another, why should you care? You're better off just brushing these type of discussions to the side. You're bound to find someone who share the same interests as you.
Dec 27, 2017 10:05 PM
Dec 2017
3DPD said:
HP_Azathoth1 said:

Sailor Moon is significantly stronger than Goku? Really?

I don't even like Dragon Ball Super, but this is pretty ridiculous.

The list was made 2014. That was before dragonball went full fanfiction. Even now, the very top characters are still the most powerful. Zeno would be up there if it ever got updated
Dec 27, 2017 10:18 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
I know people who aren't into the superhero genre who look at it the same way you look at dragonball. Superman punches hard, shazam punches hard, doomsday punches hard, darkside punches hard, thanos punches hard, the hulk punches hard, etc...and they are right. They have lots of similarities, especially inconsistent power scaling, but as a fan of both comics and anime, they are pretty much the same when it comes to fight scenes. Lots of punching, lots of talking, lots of staring, and even more talking. I know more in depth anime fans who can nerd out over the power scaling debates of shows like dragonball than those comic fans who nerd out over those of comics. In short, i and others find comic fights to be just as brain dead as anime fights. There can be dumb and smart battles in both mediums.
anime-primeDec 27, 2017 11:44 PM
Dec 27, 2017 11:17 PM
Dec 2017
BurningSpirit said:
HP_Azathoth1 said:

The "anime community" was never a community, we're far too different. We happen to be in a niche medium (or at least arguably it was till a few years ago), so you have the people who have nothing in common with each other and watch shows with nothing in common between them except it's an animation and it's from Japan.

On the other hand, superhero movies are mostly of one genre with recurring characters, that's why most people who watch one will likely have watched most. Anime on the other hand, just because I watch one genre of anime doesn't mean I've got any interest in any other.

HP_Azathoth1 said:
I've never attempted to watch Dragonball in full, but I've seen bits of it and I've never been quite inclined to watch it.

In fact, I'm quite curious about one thing. So many people watch Dragonball online, yet out of all the people in real life who watch anime, not a single one has seen Dragonball as a whole.

HP_Azathoth1 said:

Honestly I find the "who's stronger" people in both the anime community and the comic/superhro community pretty stupid. I don't know why they care who's stronger, because they'll never fight. Good characters also tend to have much more qualities than that, so their fighting powers are but a mere fraction of why I like them. It's pretty stupid that people even bother arguing about a practical non-factor.

I couldn't give less a fuck if someone thinks Saitama can beat Madoka or Haruhi. Same applies vice versa or with any other character.

HP_Azathoth1 said:
Dunno, I find superhero shows pretty unrelatable. Some part of that dislike comes me not liking action shows in general. That's not to say I dislike all superhero films/comics (because I do like quite a few), but most of them suck.

Mary Sue type characters are pretty few and far between,so I'm not quite sure what you are bitching about. Though I don't know what you've watched or haven't watched (aside from Dragonball, OPM and Haruhi?). I've not bothered watching Dragonball, and frankly don't care about its fanbase. If you have any other series you want to speak about, feel free to mention or update your anime list.

Nothing- said:
^This.

Pretty ironic how the OP states the people in the ''anime community'' as brain dead, but provides exactly that amount of discussion value in his posts. Assuming people in the "anime community" have very little knowledge (not that it's incorrect), but displays limited knowledge to a point of using action shounen as a representation of all anime.

I'm just trying to understand bro. Excellent reply by the way. I'll have a proper respond to this when i'm in the wall of text mood
Dec 27, 2017 11:35 PM

Dec 2009
People enjoy what they want, even if it's mainstream, and there's nothing wrong with that. Do you want people to watch things they don't like or aren't interested in?

As far as "braindead," there is no prerequisite for what people are allowed to enjoy or not enjoy. Why is someone less intelligent than you just because they enjoy Super? Does my enjoying super indicate my intelligence, or does it make me less intelligent? Am I suddenly unable to discuss epistemology or ethics theories based on which shows I watch to pass time? I'm deeply fascinated by your assertions here.
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Dec 27, 2017 11:52 PM

May 2015
North514 said:
HP_Azathoth1 said:

There is really no "anime community" as you described it. Anime is a medium not a genre.
How is anime even a medium? Animation is the medium and the western use of anime has more of a "genre" connotation or "style" rather than a different stand alone medium. You don't call French cinema or Italian cinema a medium despite their stylistic differences with American cinema. Anime is the Bollywood of animation.

In Japan sure anime is a medium since it stands for animation in general, even Disney is anime in Japan.
zalDec 28, 2017 12:24 AM
Dec 28, 2017 12:05 AM
Aug 2013
Shoegum said:
Man, we're getting a lot of great topics at the end of the year all of a sudden.

Anyway, go watch some of the top anime rated on MAL,you'll probably like it. I don't know in what circles you're socialising in, but Dragonball Super is not considered a good anime. It's got a 7.5 rating on MAL which is below the threshold usually considered for acceptability in terms of quality. Go watch some other higher rated shounen like Hunter x Hunter (2011), Gintama or One Piece.

Who came up with this threshold? I would to know the source of this criteria you are referring to. There are numerous threads attacking the top rated anime on this site. His critique is directed at the same type of anime you are recommending to him. I fail to understand your recommendation unless luffy is considered smart in some circles
Dec 28, 2017 12:14 AM
Jul 2018
You ARE being condescending, and you're post is all over the place.

That's not surprising. The anime community is made up of a broad group of people. There are the fan service shit lovers like me, the Elitists, moe faqs, shounen lovers, etc.
Basically, the [anime community's interests are so diverse, of course a lot of us are not going to have as much knowledge about power levels as, say, the Marvel and DC fanbase.
Dec 28, 2017 12:16 AM
Jul 2018
go back to ur comic books. noone wants you here. shoo get out
Dec 28, 2017 12:30 AM

Dec 2009
I almost took you seriously . . .

Ok that is a lie, I never even thought for a moment of taking you seriously. Since you obviously pretty much made this profile to bitch about how brain dead we are. Sorry not sorry, cause the sad faced Mr. Krabs gave you away.

While I agree that Dragon Ball can be super repetitive, I honestly don't know what you have to complain about. You go on and on about power levels both with anime and comics. It's obvious that the people who have actually talked with you suggested Super cause they thought you'd like it, not because they are brain dead. Or maybe they were, if they took the time and suggested it to you in the first place, who knows.

You have nothing listed that you've watched and you have no favorites either. You talk about how intelligent and knowledgeable comic fandom is but you have nothing to prove of your own experience with anime, especially on what is main stream and good quality. All I've seen you mention is Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, and One Punch Man. Oh and Kami Tenchi! Can't forget Tenchi! Which all of them, excluding OPM aired on tv decades ago. Have you even watched anything else since then? You couldn't even name the series that Tenchi is in, which is Tenchi Muyo btw since you obviously have forgotten.

So while you go on about how comic fans know what they are talking about, I see nothing that shows that you can do the same with anime. Me thinks the one that is brain dead is you.

Dec 28, 2017 12:55 AM
Dec 2017
breathesunshine said:
I almost took you seriously . . .

Ok that is a lie, I never even thought for a moment of taking you seriously. Since you obviously pretty much made this profile to bitch about how brain dead we are. Sorry not sorry, cause the sad faced Mr. Krabs gave you away.

While I agree that Dragon Ball can be super repetitive, I honestly don't know what you have to complain about. You go on and on about power levels both with anime and comics. It's obvious that the people who have actually talked with you suggested Super cause they thought you'd like it, not because they are brain dead. Or maybe they were, if they took the time and suggested it to you in the first place, who knows.

You have nothing listed that you've watched and you have no favorites either. You talk about how intelligent and knowledgeable comic fandom is but you have nothing to prove of your own experience with anime, especially on what is main stream and good quality. All I've seen you mention is Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, and One Punch Man. Oh and Kami Tenchi! Can't forget Tenchi! Which all of them, excluding OPM aired on tv decades ago. Have you even watched anything else since then? You couldn't even name the series that Tenchi is in, which is Tenchi Muyo btw since you obviously have forgotten.

So while you go on about how comic fans know what they are talking about, I see nothing that shows that you can do the same with anime. Me thinks the one that is brain dead is you.

Let it out bro. I'll have a proper response soon. Kinda tired atm

Dec 28, 2017 1:03 AM

Apr 2017
I was going to write a serious response until I saw those comments.

Lmao.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Dec 28, 2017 1:06 AM

Apr 2016
I was going to answer you OP, but then i saw your profile and the date of registration and i was like, nah.
Dec 28, 2017 1:13 AM
Dec 2017
Swagernator said:
I was going to answer you OP, but then i saw your profile and the date of registration and i was like, nah.

You mean you couldn't answer my question
Dec 28, 2017 1:18 AM

Oct 2014
Please waste your time elsewhere, you contribute nothing but shit posting
Dec 28, 2017 1:22 AM
Dec 2017
Solitary_Fate said:
Please waste your time elsewhere, you contribute nothing but shit posting

How am I trolling?

You expect to respond to every one of these replies in a day? Most replies here are actually great but i'm honestly tired.
Dec 28, 2017 1:28 AM

Dec 2009
HP_Azathoth1 said:
Most replies here are actually great but i'm honestly tired.
but awake enough to reply several times on how you're not going to post in-depth responses, it seems.

Don't mind my snark, I can wait for thought-out responses to my questions
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Dec 28, 2017 1:29 AM

Jun 2011
ummm... Well considering that list has Unit 01 without Shinji listed, I would say it is kinda crap. But I guess then you would have to also give a third color for divine being. Manga Shinji + Unit 01 gets the sweet spot next to Haruhi.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re Zero s3 censorship confirmed on 2 characters ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

rohan121 - Mar 26

233 by Okeanix »»
4 minutes ago

» Wishing this anime is better off nonexistent? ( 1 2 )

ibanezpunkotaku - Mar 23

75 by Sphealz »»
12 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across fan-art you wish you could erase from your memory?

BlueMaho - Feb 16

33 by LightWorker »»
17 minutes ago

» What is your first anime and when did you start it? ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Mar 26

99 by LoveLikeBlood »»
17 minutes ago

» Which anime did you like more, the first one you saw, or the last one you saw?

SugarFreeLatte - Yesterday

10 by DinoNo1 »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.