Forum Settings
Forums

Do you remember an anime being really big in it's time but now is hardly known?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 24, 2017 4:18 PM

Jun 2011
People here keep talking about nostalgic but bad anime (but I don't see any of these anime as bad). If you want one that isn't as good as you remember it being:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1469/Monster_Farm__Enbanseki_no_Himitsu
The anime community in a nutshell.
Dec 24, 2017 4:35 PM

Jun 2010
Energetic-Nova said:
Lalakoboldslayer said:
When I read topic's title, the first anime that comes to mind is Re:Zero.

Ga Rei Zero? or Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu. Cause that second one is still being heavily talked about on my facebook. (who are always behind on anime).

I mean Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu.

I remember when this anime was still airing, everyone and their mother were watching it. Some friends of mine who were playing a MMORPG with me, by that time, stopped playing when the time the episode got released subbed. After watching it, they come back to play. that's some obsession.

But now, I don't see people talking especifically about it anymore. Just random posts in random topics.
Dec 24, 2017 5:12 PM

Jun 2011
Lalakoboldslayer said:
Energetic-Nova said:

Ga Rei Zero? or Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu. Cause that second one is still being heavily talked about on my facebook. (who are always behind on anime).

I mean Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu.

I remember when this anime was still airing, everyone and their mother were watching it. Some friends of mine who were playing a MMORPG with me, by that time, stopped playing when the time the episode got released subbed. After watching it, they come back to play. that's some obsession.

But now, I don't see people talking especifically about it anymore. Just random posts in random topics.

I mean. I guess I don't expect new anime to be talked about as much as when they are airing. That is kinda the natural order. But I don't think a new anime can really be judged for at least 5 years if it might be around for the next 10.

And at the 10 year, you can feel pretty solid about where it's place is in anime history. If it is a rhelic of it's time (monster rancher), forgotten gem (most older magical girl of any decent quality), or a timeless classic that will be shared forever (Cowboy Bobop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death Note, almost all ghibli films).

Oh and Badgic Gems really start to surface after 10 years too. So Cipher the video, Munto, Mars Of Destruction, Elfen Lied (cult classic more than actual bad but yeah), Same with Ghost Stories.
Energetic-NovaDec 24, 2017 5:19 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Dec 24, 2017 6:27 PM

Sep 2017
isekai said:
WizMacer said:
I remember Voltes V in the 90s. The story is amazing in all mecha in my opinion. Sadly, new generation will not like it.

you must be a filipino, only us in the philippines cares about voltes v and daimos lol

EDIT:

well ye according to your profile you are a filipino too

I TRULY intended to only Filipinos who can relate to my post.lol
Dec 24, 2017 6:32 PM

Jan 2009
WizMacer said:
isekai said:

you must be a filipino, only us in the philippines cares about voltes v and daimos lol

EDIT:

well ye according to your profile you are a filipino too

I TRULY intended to only Filipinos who can relate to my post.lol

welp i see lol
i rest my case here then
Dec 24, 2017 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
Probably most of the shonen anime with more than 26 episodes like Soul Eater before 2010 or 2011, I guess.
Dec 24, 2017 9:45 PM

Jul 2016
I remember Vampire Knight being a huge deal in like 2008, lol
Dec 24, 2017 9:51 PM

Aug 2015
I'm not sure but.. I think something like Crayon Shin-Chan..? It was pretty popular on my country back then but because on censorship, it doesn't air on the TV anymore.. And I hardly heard anyone mentions that..

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Dec 24, 2017 10:32 PM

Dec 2015
Long time since I saw Angel beats! being referenced while it was really popular back then.

Rurouni Kenshin was onnly mentioned recently because its creator was arrested even though I see it as a classic. It used to be so popular it aired on TV here while those kinds of anime never aired here.
Dec 24, 2017 11:08 PM

May 2014
I definitely feel you @ gravitation, I honestly didn't remember it was a thing till I popped in here.

I'd probably add Monster Rancher, Fruits Basket, maybe Zatch Bell, B-Daman, I guess Toriko?
In the sense that I've yet to meet someone who's watched it, at least. I feel like Toriko in particular is only ever referenced, never recommended. But I don't lurk all that often so I could be full of shit.
Dec 24, 2017 11:17 PM

Nov 2014
I'm not quite sure, I've not really been online talking about anime for particularly long.

But the huge swaths of people that start watching anime recently, don't watch much and don't go back to watch older anime just creates this perception. Meanwhile people who've watched a lot start distancing themselves from the anime community as a whole and only watch 1 or 2 anime a season at most.

In my country there were some shows which aired and became super popular, but it's really a small country so the influence was pretty local and most other places wouldn't know. It also lagged behind the actual trend by years (airing them 8-10 years later). It's mostly pointless to mention it here.
For example, https://myanimelist.net/anime/2703/Chousoku_Spinner
And yoyo became a craze when I was like 9-10 years old
BurningSpiritDec 24, 2017 11:22 PM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 24, 2017 11:24 PM

Dec 2017
InuYasha was the thing to talk about in my area when I was growing up.

I met most of my friends because of it, lol. I don't hear about it anymore, except when I'm reminiscing with my old school mates.
Dec 24, 2017 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
Inuyasha
Bleach
Gundam Seed/Wing
Dragon Ball GT (Thankfully)
Dec 25, 2017 12:49 AM
Aug 2017
Pantha said:
An accepted criterion of an anime’s quality is its ability to stand the test of time. There were a lot of mediocre and bad anime that were mysteriously popular 15 years ago (i.e., Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Love Hina, Saikano, and Chrono Crusade) that are thankfully not talked about today. However, there are some genuinely great shows that have been forgotten, as well.

1. Full Moon wo Sagashite & Princess Tutu: Back in the day (around 2003-2004) these two shows were considered the best in the magical girl genre. Full Moon especially was extremely popular in the fansub community and was once a top ten show on certain anime sites. Although Princess Tutu will still get name-dropped in any meaningful conversation about the best magical girl shows (and that is saying something since Madoka exists), Full Moon will not. It’s in the least popular subgenre of magical girl and it had a discontinued DVD release. It’s length (it’s over fifty episodes) is just the final nail in the coffin for its lack of popularity today.

2. Kodomo no Omocha: This show is a former top favorite of mine and it’s another formerly hugely popular show in the fansub community with a discontinued DVD release. However, I would argue that it probably doesn’t age well. It's a shoujo and the brand of comedy is on the quirkier side and the characters are perhaps a few years too young at the start of the anime. The show is over 100 episodes and suffers from being an adaptation of an incomplete manga. Funnily enough, though, the manga ended about half a year after the anime did so most of the manga was adapted. You just have to wade through a lot of fillers to get to canon material.

3. Fushigi Yuugi: A former staple of the shoujo/bishounen genre. It simply doesn’t age well and everything it does has been done better since. Why watch this when you can watch Yona of the Dawn instead?

4. Inuyasha. When anime fans talk about the so-called Big Three they mean Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. Well, when Inuyasha was at its peak, Bleach wasn’t even broadcast yet and so, as far as I’m concerned, the Big Three was once Naruto, One Piece, and Inuyasha. At the time, Inuyasha was the only one of the three that aired on television. It also had a huge female fan-base and easily recognizable merchandise being sold in stores. Long-running shounen shows simply do not age well (Yu Yu Hakusho, anyone?) because of their length and genre saturation. EDIT: As a weird coincidence, the poster above me mentioned Inuyasha as well. I agree with him or her.

5. Crest of the Stars trilogy. This trilogy is still one of my favorite shows and it was never popular in the same way the shows I mentioned were, but it was always mentioned in a conversation about great space operas. It’s a late 90s show that actually had a DVD release. It’s not that long. It’s no longer readily available (Bandai went under), but it’s not like the anime industry is pumping out hundreds of space operas each season. I’ll chalk this one up to a genre and age thing. It’s “old” and space operas can be boring as hell. I always recommend this show to those that like Legend of the Galactic Heroes or enjoy the relationship dynamic in Spice and Wolf.

If you think about it, it’s actually pretty amazing that Legend of the Galactic Heroes is as popular as it is because it sure as hell has everything going against it. It’s 110 episodes. It’s an 80s show. It’s never been released in North America. But as long as I been on this site it’s been the top OVA (outbesting even the original Rurouni Kenshin OVAs) and a top overall anime.

you litterally just listed my favourite animes ever back in the days . fushigi yuugi , full moon, kodomo no omocha and inuyasha were a must watch for girls . lots of fillers but that's how you get to love the characters so much.

especially kodomo no omocha , it's still my favourite shoujo ever , so sad that most people i talk to haven't heared of it
Dec 25, 2017 8:08 AM

Jul 2017
Zero no Tsukaima/ Shakugan no Shana
They are not hardly known as they are still relatively new, but nobody talk about them any more since this type of magic battle light novel staff is all over the place now.

Is Captain Tsubasa used to be a really big show? With only 43,226 members on MAL maybe I'm wrong, but I remember it used to be everywhere too.
Dec 25, 2017 8:59 AM

Dec 2016
To me the most emblematic case is Sailor Moon: this show made a great impact throughout the 90s, it arguably became the most recognizable magical girl show worldwide, it was pretty much the "Dragon Ball for girls" (despite the fact that it was also appealing to boys) back then, and I just can't help but feel that nobody cares about it anymore, it hardly shows up in discussions or threads, even when talking about mahou shoujos, hardly anyone talks about it these days, and younger generations do not manifest a single bit of interest or curiosity towards it (which doesn't happen to be the case with other 80s to early 00s shows that were also popular). It honestly makes me feel sad.
SoldierDreamDec 25, 2017 9:05 AM
Dec 25, 2017 9:03 AM

Jun 2015
The nostalgia is way too strong in this one. Time passing is just natural.
Dec 25, 2017 10:51 AM

Dec 2014
I also remember the Gravitation buzz back in the day, still have all the merch I bought, including DVDs and the manga. Now people couldn't care less about it. But I'm so old in the fandom that sadly this is something I've seen happen over and over again. My first experience with this was many years ago, before the days of Toonami, the yaoi craze and even DVDs. Back when I was a kid Nickelodeon aired English-dubbed anime as well as dubbed cartoons from European countries. Their best program was The Mysterious Cities of Gold, an adventure series set in the 16th century. Never heard of it? You aren't alone. Very few people know about it now, but back then kids couldn't wait to sit in front of the TV each day and watch Esteban and his friends search for the cities of gold. Now none of the shows from Nickelodeon are known to today's fans. I've since watched the same thing happen over and over again with great shows, even formerly super-popular ones. I remember the hype when Urban Vision announced that they were helping to fund a new Vampire Hunter D movie (younger fans have no idea who D is), I remember all the speculation about which girl Tenchi was going to wind up with in Tenchi Muyo (nobody cares anymore) and when the only dark magical girl show anybody ever talked about was Revolutionary Girl Utena (before Madoka Magica dominated the genre). Time stands still for no one, and no anime, either.
Dec 25, 2017 10:54 AM

Mar 2017
nearbaskara said:
Marchen Awakens Romance.

not an anime tho, a manga to be precise.

that used to be so hype, so fucking hype

come, you sweet hour of death
Dec 25, 2017 10:54 AM

Dec 2009
I was actually thinking about this when someone mentioned Love Hina in conversation. I remember all my guy friends swearing it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I just remember not being that impressed and begged them to stop trying to force me to watch it when we hung out, most of the girls in our group at the time agreed with me.

Think I was 17 at the time.

Dec 25, 2017 11:00 AM

May 2017
Cardfight Vanguard was obscenely popular with kids my age when I was young. I used to watch all the episodes on Sunday mornings and even played the actual TCG.
Dec 25, 2017 11:21 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Shin chan.
That show used to be all kids talked about back then, and now nobody but a handful of people know what it is.
Dec 25, 2017 1:40 PM

Sep 2017
i forgot kobayashi existed so uhh i guess that counts, and many other shows i forgot existed.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Dec 25, 2017 1:55 PM

Apr 2017
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex both S1 and S2. Some people even don't know S2 exists...
Dec 25, 2017 2:50 PM

Sep 2014
nearbaskara said:
Marchen Awakens Romance.

I'm pretty sure this can be considered an anime https://myanimelist.net/anime/738/
Dec 25, 2017 3:04 PM

Aug 2015
There was this anime... Naruto I think it was called. It was pretty big a few years ago, but now it's hardly mentioned.
Dec 25, 2017 3:27 PM

Jun 2015
the GETBACKERS, LAW of UEKI and fushigi yugi were huggeeee on 05
Dec 25, 2017 3:29 PM

Sep 2017
Saint seyia is quite popular in my country,but I don't think it is famous anywhere else.
Dec 25, 2017 3:29 PM

Apr 2012
When I was back in high school. Naruto was popular with dudes and Fruits Basket was popular with the ladies. Hardly anybody cares about those shows anymore these days, though.
Dec 25, 2017 4:11 PM

Jul 2008
Oh man, I remember getting lectured right here on MAL about how I didn't have taste/wasn't smart or deep enough to 'get' Elfen Lied because I thought it was just okay, not the best thing ever...
Dec 25, 2017 4:18 PM

Jun 2012
I'm surprised someone who has been here for 6 years would ask such a question. Every god damn fucking season there is an anime that gets way too big for the forums and splits the community in half just to be forgotten in the following year. I know you're not asking that question and I'm splitting hairs here but that's just something I've picked up on in my tenure here.

As someone who watched Cardcaptor Sakura as a child on the local cartoon channel, I hardly see anyone bring it up into discussion. I don't think it's hardly known, but I do think it's mostly forgotten.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Dec 25, 2017 4:31 PM

Mar 2010
yugioh and beyblade. I remember back when I was in elementary school and at least a good amount of kids would always bring their yugioh cards or beyblades to school and everyone would always have a good long chat about the animes.
Dec 25, 2017 4:37 PM

Jan 2014
oh i remember gravitation way before i became a fujoshi.

it fucking bored me after some time.

guess what.

it still does!

for some people that show just belongs in the past
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Dec 25, 2017 4:51 PM

Sep 2017
Captain Tsubasa. I'm glad it's getting a reboot. I'll be checking it out (I also watched the original).
Dec 25, 2017 4:54 PM

Mar 2014
I remember the days when Clannad was still considered THE shit.

Now it's just kind of shit (though I don't really dislike it either)
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 25, 2017 5:08 PM
Sep 2007
Comic_Sans said:
I remember the days when Clannad was still considered THE shit.

Now it's just kind of shit (though I don't really dislike it either)
Clannad was, IMO, always garbage...
Dec 25, 2017 5:50 PM

Jun 2013
pretty much most monthly mangas that get an anime adaptation thats only 1 or 2 seasons.
Ideals, philosophy, art, culture. They live and die for the meme. - Kamukura Izuru

Dec 25, 2017 8:41 PM

Jun 2008
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Even Haruhi has become little more than a footnote these days. It's sort of disappointing given how life-changing people said it was when it was big.

Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei is another one, just not as wildly prominent in its day.

I am not sad for Haruhi, Shakuna no Shana etc. they weren't really that great anime and what make them popular was the moe craze that happened between the more limited at the time anime audiences.

Lucky star also seem to be mostly forgotten despite being everywhere for some years.
Dec 25, 2017 9:10 PM

May 2009
Monad said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Even Haruhi has become little more than a footnote these days. It's sort of disappointing given how life-changing people said it was when it was big.

Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei is another one, just not as wildly prominent in its day.

I am not sad for Haruhi, Shakuna no Shana etc. they weren't really that great anime and what make them popular was the moe craze that happened between the more limited at the time anime audiences.

Lucky star also seem to be mostly forgotten despite being everywhere for some years.
What do you mean by "they weren't really that great"?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 25, 2017 9:15 PM
Aug 2016
In the year 3005, most of the anime we watched now would be hardly known.
Dec 25, 2017 9:25 PM

Apr 2015
Saki was really really popular around 2012 it seems, dropped out of peoples' memory a bit
Dec 25, 2017 9:34 PM
Oct 2015
Energetic-Nova said:
Feel free not to read anything I have written and just talk about your own personal experiences with things that you felt were huge but somehow faded to the point of obscurity but maybe even talk about things that used to be obscure such as Natsume and how you found them much later when everyone else did.

I mean, I know a lot as someone who has been a fan for her entire life pretty much. But it has occurred to me that when I talk to the yaoi fanbase, a lot of them no longer have seen Gravitation even though it wast a staple when I was first getting into yaoi and so much so that anime fans outside of the yaoi fanbase had watched it, much like Yuri on Ice, only I would say, it felt even bigger at the time. Selling the soundtracks in stores seeing the manga in normal store shelves, a lot of the time them being constantly sold out of it. People actually knowing what it is based on a pin of the bunny plush. And people quoting lines to you within two seconds of meeting... And the squeeing. Lots of squeeing. Which I don't even hear in person with the Yuri on Ice fanbase which is so much more chill IRL than we Gravitation fans were.

And I think of anime like Maria Holic as wel. Which used to be just the anime everyone watched that year along with Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, K-On, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. And Season 2 of Haruhi which somehow still gets more watch than the things I actually remember being truly beloved that year. Like Pandora Hearts. I remember my friends finding Gintama through their love of Zetsubou Sensei too... And Natsume which still remains popular was something else we found about that time. We were shocked something so good would already have two seasons and none of us knew about it.

And honestly, I would never have thought of Hetalia as being less popular but... yeah there are pretty much only a couple of cosplayers for it the last two years... and usually specifically ones the Visiting VAs were apart of.

But I think with early 00's anime, those can be even more forgotten... like Dokuro-Chan was just really popular during the Mid 00's when everyone was into Elfin Lied and Death Note as the big new things... Dokuro Chan, FLCL, and Excel Saga were pretty much required viewing or you might be lost in our references to them.

It just feels weird to me that I was the apart of teen fanbase that brought forth the popularity of Death Note which is still #1 in popularity. But though Death Note was really huge.... I always felt like other anime were strangely more watched at the time. But when I thought of things which would always be popular... I guess I just never imagined a day when I would make a reference to Kame hame haaaaa- and have any anime fan not understand.... but it totally has and more than 10 times. Either missing DBZ, Sailor Moon, or Naruto references.... It is the weirdest thing.

İ can't believe there has been a post like this answer is so simple you just need to think:

When aliens land on world and you make a peace deal you will see a lot of alien shit probably. When you see alien A and alien B for a long time whose were ambassadors, you will remember even their alien tentacles curves and their tone of skin. This is just so simple to think. Well i am talking about social side of it, popularity.... Economically, i came to a really really biiig biiig conclusion talking about it feels like a pain in the ass. But i can say in general, when those aliens would eventually send more of their species to a planet and you would end up seeing more aliens but in the meantime because they are aliens, something new to earth, it would take time for them to trust us and us to trust them and another generation would be born eventually. Those generation are not gonna remember only Alien A and Alien B as peacy ambassadors, but will like Alien C too and naturally newborns will be more into Alien. Simply this, you are so goddamn young. When you talk with a WW2 veteran you will know how much you lived. But well funny enough, manga is the magic of post WW2 Japan. So it is actually that old, but again talking about popularity of series, it hasnt been so long.
orkuncanDec 25, 2017 9:42 PM
Dec 25, 2017 9:50 PM

Mar 2016
Yu Yu Hakusho isn't nearly as popular as it used to be. My friends and I used to rave about it back during the Toonami golden days and now, well...it seems like its a lost classic imo.
Dec 26, 2017 12:51 AM

Apr 2015
Hrybami said:
nearbaskara said:
Marchen Awakens Romance.

I'm pretty sure this can be considered an anime https://myanimelist.net/anime/738/

What I mean is that the anime is not that big.....I think, I forgot tho since I was a teenager back then. But the manga is really popular if I remember correctly.
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Dec 26, 2017 12:55 AM

Sep 2017
Hellsing. I don't hear anyone talking about hellsing anymore.
hi,i like you.
Dec 26, 2017 6:06 AM

Feb 2011
Based said:
In the year 3005, most of the anime we watched now would be hardly known.

No need to go that far, just think how many shows being the most popular now will still be talked about after 2 seasons. Bonus points if you knew any fandom 10 or more years ago.
Some shows remain, others fade away. Quality is different than popularity.

GTO and Slam Dunk were very popular too, they are hardly mentioned now.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 26, 2017 6:32 AM

Feb 2015
nearbaskara said:
Marchen Awakens Romance.

There is an anime adaptation though.
102 episodes

The anime also used to be huge, at least in my memories.
It was big enough to have an RPG game adaptation on the GBA.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Dec 26, 2017 6:39 AM

Feb 2010
when i found out about MAL elfen lied was a thing also people die when they are killed meme and boku no pico jokes..
Dec 26, 2017 6:48 AM
Aug 2016
I won't say big in it's time in other countries outside Japan to me but Prince of Tennis was released around the same time as Naruto but Naruto has lasted until now while PoT is not talked about by many, I guess it's due to the fact the it has been close to 5 years since it's last anime. Another anime I watched a ton was Inuyasha since it was playing on television in my country but a lot of people don't watch it too. Other anime include Initial D, Special A and Wangan Midnight (though it was pretty bad to be honest).

For old yaoi, I liked Tight Rope and Sex Pistols but I guess it's rarely heard of now.
Dec 26, 2017 6:54 AM

Apr 2015
SigmaticDoc said:
nearbaskara said:
Marchen Awakens Romance.

There is an anime adaptation though.
102 episodes

The anime also used to be huge, at least in my memories.
It was big enough to have an RPG game adaptation on the GBA.

Back when Isekai genre was a cool show XD
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

25 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 6 hours ago

12 by Ex-Aid »»
8 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

100 by FanofAction »»
13 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
16 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

43 by Ex-Aid »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.