Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 23, 2017 7:40 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The series concludes but the manga still continues. Feels like an open ending to more as the state of Mud Whale is changed forever.

Suou played his role of chief well even in the finale. I can't say he's the best leader but he did a good job at doing so. It was also nice to hear this show's harmonious song once again. There's that sensational feel of emotions and tears came pouring even in the finale.

For Chakuro and Lykos, it felt like they are closer than ever now. They've really come a long way..
I wish this show developed more into the story as that didn't impress me much. It had a large character cast too so it was inevitable that only the main characters will be the focus.
Stark700Dec 26, 2017 6:01 AM
Dec 25, 2017 7:05 AM
Mar 2017
This ending is a little disappointing, hmm, I think I will read the manga

Overall, 4/10
Dec 25, 2017 4:59 PM

Jan 2017
Lotte___ said:

Overall, 4/10

where can I watch episode 12? I've watched 1-11, and usually I see each new posted nearly 24 hours ago from right now..but haven't found 12 anywhere yet?

Dec 25, 2017 5:55 PM

May 2010
J_LEE_C said:
Lotte___ said:

Overall, 4/10

where can I watch episode 12? I've watched 1-11, and usually I see each new posted nearly 24 hours ago from right now..but haven't found 12 anywhere yet?

asenshi says because of holidays expect it to get delayed by 24-48 hours, aka tomorrow or the day after
Dec 25, 2017 6:47 PM

Jan 2017
TrueUchiha said:
J_LEE_C said:

asenshi says because of holidays expect it to get delayed by 24-48 hours, aka tomorrow or the day after

ah, thanks! i try to stay updated.

Dec 25, 2017 11:07 PM

Dec 2016
Oh he's back, and as an even bigger freak since he has become one of those jesters.

His new powers are very worrying though, he's much stronger than before.

Ouni stepping in there like a badass once again, best male this season.

YOU CAN ALL CRY TODAY, I nearly did from that scene + that OST is very powerful & emotional, still remember it being played when Nibi said goodbye to Ouni a few episodes again.

Looks like the empire is ready for war once again.

Really enjoyed this anime, one of the best of this season and the entire year for me 9/10

Really hope we get a 2nd season sometime.
Dec 25, 2017 11:13 PM

Jan 2014
Overall, I think this show had potential, but it was kind of wasted imo. The characters are pretty mediocre to the point where you've seen it all before. The setting is amazing, and I do applaud that, but the characters kind of drag it down. 4/10 for now.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 25, 2017 11:33 PM
Jan 2017
It wasn't a perfect finale, but at least it was satisfying. Then again, we should have expected an open ending because the manga is still ongoing. After all the tragedy and suffering the protagonists endure, it's good to see them dust themselves off and soldier on. The more things change, the more they stay the same; apparently. The villains are still out there and they will attack again, leading to more bloodshed, but I guess the protagonists will cross that bridge when it comes to out. Anyway, this was an entertaining series and hopefully we will see more of it in the future. Maybe a second season or an OVA.
Dec 26, 2017 2:08 AM

Oct 2008
Ouni for the new leader!? I agree!
will wait for S2...
4/5.
8/10.

Dec 26, 2017 2:13 AM

Apr 2016
It was all good until that pink haired girl, and that blonde dude appeared.

Im wondering what are those two specials listed here on MAL.
Dec 26, 2017 2:46 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great ending to a mesmerizing, slow-paced and intriguing show despite its numerous flaws!

Falaina and it’s inhibitants have gone through a lot, so it’s good to see that they are still holding their heads up high and shouldering all of the sorrows of those who have passed away. Meanwhile, it looks like the enemies are regrouping and planning to stage yet another attack under Lykos’s brother order. It will be interesting to see how Ouji fends off that attack when the oppositions do and how he rules over the people of Falaina. Suou, as his last mission as Chieftan, does the right thing letting all the people know the dark secret of the Marked people. Ouni stole the spotlight from there though beating the two rebellious twins and that was awesome to see. I thought they would succeed in revolting earlier but guess Ouni’s just too good. I’m curious to know what happened with the eye-patch warrior though, gave off this depressing vibe to me after all. Chakuro and Lykos are closer than ever now so that’s great to see considering what the two have been through all this time. Best moment of this episode goes hands down the scene where the Op starts playing, just the mesmerizing animation that really grasped me there more than anything.
Come to think of it, “the Journey will continue” was mmentioned in the closing moments, so I hope that’s certainly true and we will get a Season 2 in the near upcoming future. Fingers crossed for that! Also, I think this show would have been far better off with two cours rather than one as the show is progressing rather slowly and steadily, but well what’s done is done.

As for the whole show in general,
- Storyline/Plot Development: 7.5/10
Like I said earlier, I think this show would have been far better off had it been with two cours rather than one for its slow and steady worldbuilding introduction, but then again this is just a personal reckoning after completing the show myself.
- Characterization/Character Developments: 7.5/10
Since this show introduced a wide range of cast of Characters within this very cour, it’s only natural that the main cast would receive most of the screentime and some sort of Developments along the way. Apart from Ouni, Suu and Lykos, we didn’t really get to see the other characters develop much. However, collectively as the people of Falaina and the oppositions, we got to see some sort of Developments which was great to see really.
- Art/Animation: 9.0/10
J.C. Staff really got this under their belts here, giving us one treat after the other in each and every episode throughout the show. Seeing this show kind of reminded me of Grimgar of Fantasy and Ashes since the pastel mashup of colors just felt so pleasing and satisfying.
- Sound Department: 9/10
Great stuff! Both the Op and ED were just brilliant, as well as the occasional osts we got here and there. Really blended in with the emotions and tension of the series excellently.
- Personal Enjoyment: 8/10

-> Overall: 8.00/10
_MushiRock11_Sep 16, 2019 9:24 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 26, 2017 2:46 AM

Jun 2016
What. That's it!?! That was a very underwhelming finale for a most of the time underwhelming anime. Jeez. Idek what to say, but yeah I'm disappointed.

7/10. Should be 6, but a plus point for the art.

I hope there'll be a 2nd season since there's way too many questions unanswered.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Dec 26, 2017 4:08 AM

Nov 2016
Can't hide my disappointment over this show,it had so much potential storywise,but it didn't utilze it.

It was still rather good than bad and I enjoyed watching it.Probably going to give the manga a shot,since I don't have high hopes for a second season.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 26, 2017 5:49 AM
Jul 2018
So much potential, but the execution wasn't too good and the ending is anti-climatic. But the OST and art are amazing. 8/10.
Dec 26, 2017 6:04 AM

Nov 2012
The story is interesting but the characters are awful. 6/10.
Dec 26, 2017 6:09 AM

Jun 2009
Masoo. ;_; Anyway, I have enjoyed this series even though sometimes it felt lacking. I'm really hoping for a second season but for now I guess I will go and read the manga. 8/10 from me. (I guess I just grew attached to everyone)
Dec 26, 2017 6:52 AM

Jan 2015
Phew, all that gloomy phase after that comes Suou revealing the truth about Marked and Unmarked. Then they finally departing. Not a bad way to end this epsiode and give a sign that there might another season for this Anime.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Dec 26, 2017 7:09 AM

Apr 2013
Important characters are dying one by one... Will they find allies or more enemies? What a brutal yet beautiful anime this is. I'll wait for a continuation.

Dec 26, 2017 7:25 AM

Dec 2014
an open ending was so totally expected...nice series I guess
Dec 26, 2017 7:47 AM

Dec 2014
Fairly decent finale and pretty open ended one at that.

The final scene with everyone at Falaina singing as they embark on their journey was nice.

Overall, I felt the anime couldn't keep the charm and intrigue it had over the first few episodes throughout the series. The first few episodes was definitely the series at it's best as it showcased some great world building, an interesting setting and intriguing world lore. Despite the strong set up, I felt the actual story and progression within this fantastical setting faltered due to it just feeling bland in execution leading to me losing quite a bit of interest in it. I think the problem was that none of the characters were strong enough to carry the story despite the strong setup it got, this is mostly true for Chakuro who despite being our Main Character isn't written well enough to carry the show through what it wants to present. If he was to remain like an archivist then the story should've taken a different direction in order to bring that out better, the supporting cast themselves aren't that great as well. Ouni and the blonde haired captain dude kinda stand out but even then, the way they were cast is just not strong enough to propel the narrative forward and keep it as intriguing as the initial premise. Maybe if they had a stronger focus, it could've worked for the direction the narrative was going in but we'll never know. I could probably compare this to Shinsekai Yori since the beginning of the series had similar vibes but Shinsekai Yori did pretty much everything better and I think that kinda story was what I was expecting from this series. Perhaps, my biggest gripe is that what I expected was completely different from what I got. Ultimately, I feel there was a lot of potential here that just wasn't capitalized on.
Fantastic art and soundtrack though, huge points for those.

7/10
Dec 26, 2017 8:00 AM

Sep 2017
The epitemy of style over substance. While it's beautiful to look at, this anime isn't all that entertaining. The characters are flat, they kill people before giving us any time to bond with them and then treat those deaths as something relevant, and the "rebelion" that the two emo brothers are trying to start is just pathetic and cringy because they seem to be the only ones supporting it. Also, back to the character deaths, let's be honest here, how many of you remembered the names of Ouni's friends who got killed during the first attack to the whale?

I really, really wanted to like this show, I downright defended a lot of the aspects that people complained about in the first episodes. But it didn't get any better. It just does what it has to do to advance the plot, disregarding any sort of consequences or character development. The perfect example is Kokalo. When the Nous Skylos talks to Chakuro the conversation can be summariced like this:

"Hey man, if you give me your emotions ima give you this cool thing. It will be veeery important in the future and will help your people, I swear. Also I don't really know how I got this, the crew just kept it behind a pile of papers in the storage room or somthin'."

"Nah man, emotions are important for me n' shiet."

"K. Ima give you this anyway despite the fact that your people killed me byeee."

4/10.
miguitronikDec 26, 2017 12:59 PM
Dec 26, 2017 8:24 AM

Nov 2016
There couldn't be a better way to end this great year for anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2017 8:43 AM

Feb 2015
An intresting yet flaws show that stands out with quite a unique concept. The art and music were quite wonderful. The world set up was facinating but the story feels half finished and really needs a second season.

Not a fan of some of the characters who are on the side chasing them down. They are supposed to have no emotions but are complete psychopaths? How does that work?

Anyway I quite enjoyed the series as a whole.
Dec 26, 2017 9:42 AM

Jan 2017
The show had so much potential and was really good early on but it fell flat a little in the end. What I liked about the finale was that they explained how some people from the antagonists' side may have some emotions. I wouldn't mind a second season and the show overall for me was a 6/10.
Dec 26, 2017 10:17 AM
Oct 2017
In the end, I can't recommend this anime.
It tried, but that's about it. I really wanted to like it and I still got to enjoy the art until the very end, but a lot of stuff just never made any sense so, yeah... Welp. Too bad
But some people managed to like it anyway so all is not lost !

I will dream about what could have been™ for a little while before sending it off into the sand ocean of oblivion
Dec 26, 2017 10:46 AM

Apr 2016
Wasted potential.

A good example of failed adaptation and zero talent for action scenes. The original material was probably not without flaws but they managed to make it as bad or worse.

At least it looked pretty, ... as pretty as the voice acting was lame, and behind the shit storytelling/realisation was a quite interesting world to discover. See ! Not everything was bad.

JC Staff ? I see.
Dec 26, 2017 10:50 AM

Dec 2016
Definitely a solid show, kind of dipped down in the latter half right after Ouni's friend was killed, but other then that a very under watched show that I wish got more recognition. I would really like to see a season 2 showing the people of the Mud Whale as they discover "new" land for the first time, but if worst comes to worst I'm definitely willing to buy the manga if that's the only way to keep reading about this story.
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 26, 2017 10:54 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I mean, sure it's pretty and all that but ... the story and characters are average as fuck and i pretty much didnt care for any of this.

This pretty much sums up my experience with it : ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5/10
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 26, 2017 11:43 AM

Feb 2014
Since the manga is still ongoing, I feel that the best ending that the producer could do was an open one, but even then, it felt slightly lacking for a final episode of the series though.

Thanks to Suou and Ouni's words, the citizens of the Mud Whale have a new goal in mind has the Mud Whale finally sets itself free from the trap of Falaina that it was stuck in for all this time.

Overall, I really liked the start of the show, but later episodes did lose a bit of wow factor here and there with certain characters and story-related choices.

Despite that, the show had some lovely art quality from J.C Staff and the soundtrack was also impressive and moving as well.

If there's a second season, then I'll be happy, as I certainly enjoyed this show, despite its shortcomings. 7/10. =)
Dec 26, 2017 12:48 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
All I gotta say is 8/10, S2 when :(
Dec 26, 2017 1:23 PM

Feb 2016
I hope i'm not the only one who saw a "The journey will continue" I hope that means that a S2 is in consideration

7/10
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Dec 26, 2017 2:14 PM

Jun 2013
"The journey will continue."

10/10.
JunoYamaguchiDec 26, 2017 2:17 PM
Gimme more character development and/or romance. Probally a shotacon.

Dec 26, 2017 2:46 PM

Sep 2016
JC Staff having Shokugeki and UQ Holder Negima on the season kinda hurt this series, even though those 2 shows had issues aswell and Negima being heavily outsourced throughout the season, The Studio needs find a way to fix their production and not to have so many shows on a same season. Are they trying to become the next A-1? Pumping so many shows at once.

7/10 +1 for art and the insert songs 8/10
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Dec 26, 2017 4:15 PM

Jul 2014
The world was potato, the characters were potato and the ending was potato. Oh well. Maybe it could be chopped up, fried in oil and made into a decent movie.
Dec 26, 2017 4:56 PM

Jul 2015
And it's over... not much to say, the idea itself and the story was quite interesting, the visuals were pretty damn good at times though lacking at others, the characters and the execution were a bit off... Like, there was a lot of stuff that just bugged me here and there. Things I couldn't ignore and such, that kind of took away my enjoyment. That being said, this was still good, an so, I'm giving it a 7/10.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Dec 26, 2017 5:52 PM

Jan 2011
Beautiful start that piddled as it went on. Still a good watch and I would be very excited to continue with this interesting world.
Dec 26, 2017 6:07 PM

May 2012
Pretty shitty ending if they aren't making a second season.
Dec 26, 2017 7:02 PM

Oct 2012
Not too bad, lots of things still unanswered though, so hopefully we'll get a season 2.
Dec 26, 2017 7:42 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I agree with those who were disappointed. The setting is really unique, the worldbuilding was intriguing, the effects were beautiful. But everything else felt lackluster. I understand that Chakuro is the observer, but I wish he was more...interesting to watch? And the villains were terrible, I despise over the top crazy people. The backstory for the pink hair dude didn't change my opinion of him. Really wish he died, since this is all we're seeing in the anime (kind of doubt there will be a second season), keeping him alive has no merit. Lykos's brother seems to have some backstory as to why he's like this, but frankly I don't care because he's another crazy antagonist and we really don't need two. If the villains were so distasteful I wouldn't be so salty about this series. Despite not really being invested in the characters on the mud whale, the world was still interesting. The story could've been more tight, as the latter half felt off.

Overall, it was disappointing given its original setting, but it's still nice to see that there are others who did enjoy the whole series.
Dec 26, 2017 10:21 PM

Apr 2017
Nice finale but this anime is stil lacking of something in terms of the plot and characters. I wasn't expecting that there is "The Journey continues" at the end. Is there a possibility that it will get a second season?
Dec 26, 2017 11:19 PM

Jul 2015
It wa a pretty good anime with nice music, story and art. Its only weakens was the slow pace, if its 2 core and 24 episodes that would be fine but for 12 episode anime it was kind of buzz kill.
Anyway, overall ill give it 8/10
Dec 27, 2017 5:40 AM

May 2017
Poor Sami, not only did she got NTR'd, useless af Chakuro let her die smfh

And can Ginshu not use thymia? She's one of the guards and can't even evade some stones wtf lol

7/10
LairucremDec 27, 2017 5:46 AM
Dec 27, 2017 6:15 AM

Jul 2014
Honestly, this was a bit of a meh finale that didn't really progress much from the ending of last week's episode, other than laying more foundations for the future rather than giving this a truly satisfying conclusion in its own right.

Overall, I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this series. On the one hand, the world building and general plot are both extremely intriguing, but at the same time it feels like something is lacking somewhere, partly in direction and storytelling but also in characters. In other words, this is a decent but flawed series, one that clearly could have been so much more than what it was.

7/10
Dec 27, 2017 8:34 AM
Jan 2016
I think one of the biggest mystery is the Captain, Shuan. What does he really want? And what's with his right eye? He's the son of one of the elder? At least he is really strong and reliable, but still I'm really curious about him, is he a Daimon to like Ouni? Maybe I'll wait for another season hahaha. Overall, I'm enjoying this show but too many characters that die and they're thymia-user...I don't know how will they survive if that country attacks again with gun etc. And the opening song is amazing, I really love it...
Dec 27, 2017 10:20 AM

Apr 2014
Hell, this is a lot of bad comments about the show.
I guess I should just put this on my PTW for 2 years.
Haters always gonna hate.
Dec 27, 2017 4:32 PM

May 2015
I liked this finale.

Although, as for the show itself, it started out good. But it went downhill for me from the moment those awful villains appeared and onwards, unfortunately. Still an enjoyable watch overall, though.

7/10.

Dec 27, 2017 5:43 PM

Jan 2011
Wasted potential seems to be the perfect way to describe my feelings ,with this setting they could have went a lot of ways and it started off strong but went pretty downhill only to manage to pick it self up a little to late by the end maybe if S2 actually comes out i'd be better.

6/10 7 if ii wanna give it a plus for having great art and a wonderful OP ,just glad my girl Ginshu lived only character i really enjoyed lol.
Dec 28, 2017 12:53 AM

Apr 2015
Yamashita can't sing, that was like, well, hideous.

About the show, it's not terrible but what this turned out to be is pretty tragic.
All over the place would be a good descriptor. What score should I give?
Dec 28, 2017 4:13 AM

May 2016
I have a hunch as to where the mud whale is setting sail for next.

A fitting destination considering that's the feeling this series gave to me.

The first couple of episodes had potential by setting up an intriguing utopia that is seemingly separate from the rest of the world around it. But after that it just started a slow downward spiral.

Yet I find it difficult to say exactly why I didn't like this series. In the end I think it has to do with the characters. The story as a whole tried to be compelling and tragic but all of the characters were either bland or poorly developed, meaning that the raw emotion that the series should have conveyed just wasn't there for me. It didn't help that this series had about 1,353,643 different characters to keep track of, and that killing about 776,534 of them didn't convey any feelings of shock, sadness or despair. In my mind it's just senseless violence. In the end I wanted to like Chakuro but couldn't force myself to. Even though he's supposed to be an observer I just found him to be boring. The only character that had my interest was the captain; he's so mysterious and his line of thinking is clearly different from everyone else. Shame we didn't get more of him.

The animation style and quality was generally good so no complaints there. The OST was good too although it didn't stand out for me. I personally don't like singing and musicals, so of course I didn't like it when the characters broke into song every now and again, especially during the ending. Speaking of which I don't think it was a bad ending. It's fairly open and easily gives the series room for a second season, but for some reason I just found it to be slightly unsatisfying; something I can't put my finger on.

Overall I didn't like this show. By the last couple of episodes I was starting to get rather bored watching it. If this ever gets a second season I don't think I'd go out of my way to watch it. 5/10.
thebusofdoomDec 28, 2017 9:41 PM
Bondrewd did nothing wrong.
Dec 28, 2017 11:24 AM

Aug 2015
A good ending, but what is this?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

63 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 8, 1:44 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2017

160 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 7, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

46 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 14, 2023 7:38 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 11, 2023 9:13 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

66 by RawrOMG »»
Aug 17, 2023 6:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.