Forum Settings
Forums

Suppose everyone thinks the world is flat except for you (you think the world is round)

New
Dec 22, 2017 7:38 PM

Sep 2009
Is everyone insane? Or just you? Clarify this for me...

*The question isn't who's right or wrong (that's obvious), the question is who's sane, and who's insane.
MortalMelancholyDec 22, 2017 9:56 PM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 22, 2017 8:34 PM

May 2013
large groups of people are frequently wrong about things.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Dec 22, 2017 8:39 PM
Nov 2017
Oh great even the irrational flat earthists has infiltrated MAL. Come on people, everybody knows it's all about hollow earth theory.
Dec 22, 2017 9:09 PM

Mar 2008
Opinion no matter how popular does not change realitt however it does change what people think is reality.
Dec 22, 2017 9:13 PM

Apr 2017
"Earth-chan is round to you, but flat to everyone else. Similar to how a B-cup is flat to Americans, but round to Nippon-jin."

Pfffthahaha that's great.

More importantly, how did you ever come to the conclusion that the earth was round? Everyone knows it's shaped like a cone.
Dec 22, 2017 9:28 PM
Jan 2013

I'd be the insane one ez
real talk I only believe the earth is round because people taught me the reasons why that would work
In a world where general consensus is "flat desu" and everyone teaches and believes the theory of flatness, everyone believes the flatness, there's only justice on flat you're the crazy one
gone bai bai
Dec 22, 2017 9:36 PM

Dec 2009
Argument from popularity cannot tell us whether something is true, so insanity doesn't have much to do with the scenario (though ignorance does)
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Dec 22, 2017 9:55 PM

Sep 2009
Crusader_8 said:
Argument from popularity cannot tell us whether something is true, so insanity doesn't have much to do with the scenario (though ignorance does)

That's right, argument from popularity has no bearing on truth. But it does tell us something about normal/abnormal thoughts or behaviors (eg insanity).
Dec 22, 2017 10:01 PM

Dec 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
Crusader_8 said:

That's right, argument from popularity has no bearing on truth. But it does tell us something about normal/abnormal thoughts or behaviors (eg insanity).
It can tell us whether people are being *irrational,* not necessarily an indicator of insanity.
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Dec 22, 2017 10:28 PM
Jul 2018
Everyone is insane cuz Earth is as round as your mom OP.

Duh.
Dec 22, 2017 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?
Dec 22, 2017 10:59 PM

Sep 2009
nicethings said:
if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?

Yes, pretend you're Galileo. Or not, since you're apparently interested in the definition of sound.
Dec 23, 2017 1:18 AM

Aug 2013
Everyone else is insane. Insanity is based on irrational and false beliefs. If you have good reasons for believing the world is round - justified, true belief - then you have knowledge. It would be insane to submit to the insanity around you.
Dec 23, 2017 5:34 AM

Sep 2016

of course everyone is insane, earth is not flat at all.
Dec 23, 2017 6:02 AM

Aug 2013
For you other are insane, for the people you're insane. It's only a point of view.
Dec 23, 2017 3:25 PM

Sep 2007
If the Earth is round, then why do we always travel on its surface?

Dec 23, 2017 3:33 PM

Dec 2016
I know right? You have never been able to just walk outside at night and look up into the sky.

We need billions of dollars in funding to properly research that round shadow thingy phenomenon! WHAT IS IT??!!?? WHAT SPACE MAGIC SENT IT!!??!!
Dec 23, 2017 3:36 PM

Sep 2009
Soverign said:
I know right? You have never been able to just walk outside at night and look up into the sky.

We need billions of dollars in funding to properly research that round shadow thingy phenomenon! WHAT IS IT??!!?? WHAT SPACE MAGIC SENT IT!!??!!

If everyone thinks it's a dragon eating the moon, are they insane? Or just me?
Dec 23, 2017 3:45 PM

Dec 2016
MortalMelancholy said:

If everyone thinks it's a dragon eating the moon, are they insane? Or just me?

Nah. You are sane.
That is an old one I haven't heard in awhile though. See, we at the Illuminati devised a massive project that spanned the globe a loooooonnnggg time ago just to fool normies. Basically there is no moon. It was and is all just an elaborate prank by us for giggles. Anyways, I digress, it was kinda boring because the Humans couldn't even comprehend the con we pulled on them to even make it funny, so we spread legends like that for them to be able to understand our power back then. It... it is really complicated. But also hilarious for us. it is how we get more power you understand...
Dec 23, 2017 7:01 PM
Feb 2017
Earth-chan is flat since Earth-chan my cutting board.

Dec 23, 2017 8:39 PM

Oct 2017
Ok, so in this scenario, no one really knows if Earth is flat or a sphere? There is only assumptions, and everyone happens to have a different belief than you, in which they think that Earth is flat but you think it's round. I think the insane one here is yourself. Think about it. Everyone knows that everyone else has the same assumption and when you come running towards them saying 'Hey! Earth is round', they're going to think you're not functioning properly. You're the odd one out, you're not 'normal' like other people, therefore, everyone will say you're insane to think that way. And because of that, you might start questioning your own sanity because you'll be asking 'Why am I thinking like this, while basically everyone else have the same thought?'.

Though I think irrational could be a better word to describe this scenario than insane. Insanity covers more broadly such as behavior and interaction while irrationality focuses more on the logical thinking of a person. So if you can still socialize with others, you're probably just not rational. If you're acting weird with others around, it's probably from your mind going insane, which causes your reasoning skills to differ from everyone else's.

It's an interesting topic that got me thinking.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Dec 24, 2017 8:35 AM

Aug 2015
Well, it depends. Is this an alternate dimension where the world really is flat? Or is it still our dimension and Earth is round regardless?
...And on the pedestal, these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings; Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains...
Dec 24, 2017 11:55 AM

Nov 2016
The one who believes despite seeing sure evidence and reason to the contrary is insane. There you go, solved it for all situations.
Dec 24, 2017 12:41 PM

Jan 2009
solve it with experts by doing the scientific method

the problem today is there is a war on science/experts like everybody is now an expert too
Dec 24, 2017 1:32 PM

Aug 2009
I'd simply continue to live my life as a hermit, since I already believe that people are so fucking stupid about other subjects, myself included.

More topics from this board

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

11 by LoveYourEyes »»
9 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 7 hours ago

6 by Nemo_Niemand »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

20 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 8 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.