Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Altair: A Record of Battles
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 22, 2017 10:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So this episode (series finale) settled one of the major battles...

I expect the reconstruction to begin after what Bahamut and his troops went through. Yeah, I definitely expect some sort of continuation in the future. The manga is still ongoing and this was leaving more for an open ending of the main story.

The anime adapted the personalities of the characters quite well though imo, especially Mahmut.
Dec 22, 2017 11:44 AM

Feb 2012
Oh man that's how it ends, at the end he even prostrated in dawn. Very respectful.

Was an ok adaptation I guess. I doubt there will be a sequel ever, but we still have the manga ongoing, I hope more people catch up to in now if they managed to stick with the anime until the end.
Dec 22, 2017 12:13 PM

Jun 2015
So this is how the show ends. The war is going to continue, but we're not going to see it happen. Some reconstruction is going to happen as well. Zaganos and Mahmut are indeed different from each other. This show is decent overall. There were some good moments and the strategies was cool to see.
Dec 22, 2017 12:23 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I get the feeling Zaganos is going to get a black eye invading the empire (if not more).

The show is not a MAL favorite, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I hope it gets a second season.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 22, 2017 12:35 PM

Dec 2014
And so it ends, the war still continues but with Torque gaining a valuable victory and allies.

I liked how Mahmut was given governing duties over Cielo and how he's trying to fuse the culture of both countries,

Zaganos Pasha is out for the empire's blood. xD

Glad to see Mahmut carrying on Halil's will and it's nice that Zaganaos recognizes him as the successor to Halil's ideals.

Overall, this show started out a little on the weak side but picked up really strongly from the second quarter and ever since then I've been pretty invested in this show. It was a real delight to see Mahmut grow from who he was at the beginning, a naive idealistic boy to a capable and reliable commander. I also like how despite being portrayed as naive in the beginning for thinking the way he did, he still retains his nature but is just wiser and that's some really great characterization on him. It was interesting watching him travel around to different places, face different scenarios with each event shaping his perspective on things. The overarching political and military themes were really cool to watch unfold and on the whole this was a really enjoyable show. It's definitely a shame that some things from the manga were changed or omitted as pointed out by various people when it happened, the most recent being last episode but I still think the show did a great job overall. Would love to see a second season if it ever happens.

8/10
Dec 22, 2017 12:36 PM

Nov 2016
So we really got an open end, well that's not so disappointing since it could mean the possibility of a second season which I would really appreciate.

The show had it's flaws,amongst others the pacing issues,but it was still an interesting watch. Liked the story even so much that I will definitely go for the manga at some point.

6/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 22, 2017 12:39 PM
Jan 2017
Aww man they skipped the Hamam part...

Anyway, i hope you fellas going to read the manga at least for to see how much anime butchered the source material.
Dec 22, 2017 12:54 PM
Jul 2018
Whoa, the ending episode was also great tbh. Lots of important discussion took place and another epic war anticipated (maybe that child will actually use 'that' technology). Glad to see Mahmut react the same way as Halil Pasha did. And we got to see some fearsome villains/empires (that I forgot actually) on the screen that reminds me that empire have still power despite so many loses.
And at the end it was something nice to see Mahmut how he develop through entire series... (especially during the ed song + recap senario). It was sad that the adaptation was something went wrong especially during after something around EP9 and production value as well. But personally, I had some great joy watching this show.. (especially the strategy pulloffs and Mahmut Pasha alone)
Dec 22, 2017 1:06 PM

Dec 2012
I'm gonna miss this anime it's so good. I hope it will get a season 2 in the future.
Dec 22, 2017 1:41 PM

Aug 2013
Definitely a show that had a major turnaround for me. I remember nearly dropping it back around episode 5 but I'm glad I stuck with it. Might check out the source at some time in the future but I hope a season 2 happens. 7.5/10
Don't believe the hype.
Dec 22, 2017 1:50 PM

Jan 2014
I'm glad I picked this show up. It had a slow start. There were good moments and there were bad moments. This seems like a repeat of Arslan Senki where they don't actually show you the final showdown and is inconclusive, but it's fine I guess. I think I'm gonna give this show a 5/10, but from what people who have read the original source material say.. I strongly believe the manga might be better/more fleshed out.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 22, 2017 1:50 PM

Sep 2013
The honors and aftereffects of a battle/war is always nice.
Both groups want an empire to prosper but turkei has the advantage in power and moral.
The kid's design will definitely be used by zaganos later on.
8/10
Dec 22, 2017 1:51 PM

Apr 2017
Definitely my top favorite of the season, loved it so much, and the ending, too. Wrapped it up nicely while still leaving the feeling that the world and story that were shown to us, go on.
Dec 22, 2017 2:02 PM

Aug 2013
It ends with the war against the Empire still continuing.

This was an enjoyable show. Even though it started off slow, it did pick up and I enjoyed it until the end. Hope it gets a second season. I will definitely read the manga.

7/10

Dec 22, 2017 2:24 PM

Jun 2014
Not a bad ending. It was pretty open as we saw Zaganos going off to fight the Empire, and leaves the possibility of a second season since it wasn't totally conclusive. I honestly don't think a second season will happen, but I most definitely wouldn't mind if it did. It's a shame that some things were omitted from the manga, and that certain aspects of Mahmut's character were completely changed, but hey, that happens sometimes I guess. Enjoyable watch for the most part, 6/10.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 22, 2017 2:28 PM

Jan 2016
It's disgusting how people will avoid this anime in the future because of the score.

Anyways what started off as a weak anime became tremendous later on, I can't even begin to explain how much I enjoyed this and the characters. Mahamut is such an interesting MC and so are the other characters. It's not afraid to kill off people and delivers it's message in a very good fashion.

8/10, not a 9 because of the start.
Dec 22, 2017 5:16 PM

May 2015
Hmm, decent finale and a decent show overall. It was a nice watch I'd say. Nothing great, but nothing average either.

7/10.

Dec 22, 2017 5:43 PM
Mar 2016
well Rating is rise after final
7.33 well I guess will be 7.50
9/10
Dec 22, 2017 6:26 PM
Mar 2016
Great anime. Good tension and plot development. Definitely behind the manga, but anyways it stands as a very successful adaptation in my book. The political intrigue, the militar strategy, the contradictory circumstances, definitely a good anime. 9/10 Hope to see more from this. Next time they should play more with the great contrasts that a barroque setting gives to the ambience (colorwise, storywise, structurewise... it would play out really nice with everything overall).
Gunderroge90Dec 22, 2017 6:41 PM
Dec 22, 2017 6:52 PM

Jan 2013
Sad that it's over, it was such a great anime! Don't think there will be another season but would be great ;)
A very interesting story with a lot of fights and great usage os strategy, Mahmut did such a great job.
I don't have a lot to say because i think the anime speaks for itself, glad that at least that the average score is +7, i think it deserves +8 easily.
Would love to read the manga (if i will have time), because it's definitely one of those animes that make you interested in reading the manga.
9/10
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Dec 22, 2017 7:24 PM

May 2015
Even with no action in the final episode, I was still so engaged with the dialogue and interactions between the characters.

Zaganos has been in the sidelines for the entire series, but he comes back as Halil Pasha's replacement as commander of the Torque forces. The conversation he had with Mahmut was really good. I really want to see more of him in the future.

Mahmut was right in burning the cannon blueprints. If the enemy sees it, they will copy it and use it against us. That is very true. If the Empire saw the Torqyean army using cannons, they would make it a priority to steal one, learn it, and mass produce it.

I picked up this series because I remember someone mentioning how great Shoukoku no Altair's manga was. Despite the series being heavily rushed, I still really enjoyed it. If it was properly adapted, this easily would have been my AotY. And even though this episode concludes the series, it still leaves me begging for more. Shoukoku no Altair is amazing. I want a season 2, but the chances of it getting one is very slim. Why MAPPA why? I'll definitely be reading the Manga now. What I'm worried about though is how long it will take for the writer to continue the story, because given how Altair progressed, I'll catch up to the latest chapter in no time...
Dec 23, 2017 12:03 AM

Feb 2008
If you think this anime is GOOD, then read the manga guys. Preferably from the beginning so you'll see how they butchered it.

(or you can start at Chapter 77)
Dec 23, 2017 1:23 AM

Jan 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this show from start to finish although that doesn't seem to be the case for most people. At least the score is at 7+ now. I thought the episode wrapped things up nicely while leaving things open enough for a continuation if we happen to get one in the future. I'll consider giving the manga a read at some point.

9/10
Dec 23, 2017 2:51 AM
Sep 2011
Well, I am going to read manga.
9/10
Dec 23, 2017 3:14 AM

Feb 2016
So beautiful episode; all around! What kind of crazy anime ends with '...began the invasion of the Empire.' narration.

For the series, I will give 10/10. (honest fanboy rating ;P)

By the way, what do you think about the advanced-at-that-time weapon concept; should it be made or not? Sure, one day, it will be made; but, through the ongoing manga; desperate times and situations might demand it to be made very soon.

Also, what is the relationship between this woman and the mapmaker? Isn't she an assassin and also a spy? What is happening?

At this episode, I like Zehir Zaganos versus Mahmut Pasha subliminal confrontation. It was shriving moment for me; Zaganos Pasha, with a calm voice, easily shows how fearful he will be. Only thing I criticize about him, along with Louis, do these guys know how to fight, I hope they have some battle skills, such as drawing sword or kicking doors...

Do you notice the video caps through the ending credits? I noticed they have better image quality. I will buy BD release version, either western localization or a complete Japan version. But, it is expensive for me; those currently released single BD editions in Japan.

A lot of members are saying 'a sequel is unlikely', but I say 'the sequel will be here', but not soon, since the manga doesn't have ... or it has enough content, but if MAPPA or any other anime studio cuts here and there again; damn it!

Yeah, they cut the hamam scene, actually it was a funny scene at the manga.

I am happy to meet a manga/anime like this; because it has so many diverse character designs and looks and different city life/urban backgrounds. I like this part.
Dec 23, 2017 3:20 AM

Sep 2016
this anime is mess, read the manga boys
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 23, 2017 4:44 AM

Sep 2013
A good finale for a very good anime,i thought this was just the typical Arslan like when i started this and yes they have some similarities but after watching the 24 episodes i just can say that this anime is totally unique in many many aspects.

I love everything that this anime offered from the well written characters to the deep lore,the philosophie of war and how they struggle with contradictions,the main character doesn't seems like much when you see him but you start very soon to learn his true nature,i maybe not totally agree with his ideas but i find it beautiful that people like him actualy exist,trying to make a change for good.

Now i just pray that a new season comes around because that anime got a special place in my "loved animes"

a well deserved 8/10 for an anime that deserve way much episodes !
Deep dark fantasies
Dec 23, 2017 4:52 AM

Sep 2017
Without having read the manga I cannot tell how good of an adaptation this is, but it's very enjoyable on its own. I liked the characters, even if I feel like some like Kiros could have done more. Also, i really liked how this anime shows us a lot of the different aspects of war, such as the resource management and the need of keeping the citizens of the places you conquer happy.

It also keeps in mind and represents well the different cultures of the turkish and european continents, with military tactics and all. As a history nerd and eurpoean weeb, I think it really captures the essence of old governments, like the different republics of Cuore obviously being inspired by the italian city-states of the 15th century.

However, what i can't really pass is how the animation sometimes looks rushed and unfinished in a lot of the non-fighting scenes, and this anime loses some points because of that. But still, the series isn't bad at all.

Overall, a 7/10. I will read the manga to see if this anime really was such a bad adaptation as the manga fans make it out to be, but as a standalone series, this was pretty entertaining.
Dec 23, 2017 5:25 AM

May 2012
The score in MAL increased to 7.33 (for now), but I still think it deserve more than that. It underrated anime, and it has better story than most anime in this year

I hope it get 2nd season.

Dec 23, 2017 6:27 AM

Apr 2013
It ended when things are about to get real. Either Zaganos mess up big time or achieve success and become the next big bad, which is unlikely. I was hoping for a waifu party member on Mahmut's entourage. I thought the merchant girl would join but unfortunately, she didn't (who needs waifu anyway when we have Mahmut lol). This anime forced me to read arcs from the manga that were removed/shortened on this adaptation. All from the second half of the anime. It's not a perfect adaptation but it's still good overall. Phoinike arc is my favorite. Now I'm gonna continue reading.

Dec 23, 2017 6:39 AM
Aug 2015
This anime has been one of my favorites this year. Looking forward for a sequel!
Dec 23, 2017 3:03 PM

Jun 2016
Nice finale and an enjoyable experience overall. I am a little bit torn if I should rate this a 7 or a 6.

Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit the world was constructed with care, every country felt unique with it's own culture and the setting overall was a nice change of pace from the usual shows we get each season. My main criticism comes from the character front. Besides Mahmut nobody really gets developed and they feel like they are just there. Also for a series about war and politics the distinction between good and bad is a little bit too black and white for my taste when it comes to Turkiye and the Empire.

Nevertheless I am glad I watched it and I am definitly going to check out the manga. I probably give it a 7 and hope that the manga remedies my criticism when it comes to the characters.
Dec 23, 2017 5:38 PM

May 2015
Open Ending Definitely left us in a good state though I'm hoping someday it will get another season shows like this rarely gets made :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2017 9:39 PM

Oct 2011
Season 2 Please 😭 😭 💔
Dec 23, 2017 11:16 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
SEASON 2 OF ALTAIR NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW !!! 10/10
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 24, 2017 1:26 AM
Oct 2007
Definitely recommended. I would love to watch more! Very very underrated. This would be as popular as Arslan in my opinion. Season 2 please~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2017 3:09 PM

Oct 2013
Superb series! This gave me everything I wanted from Arslan Senki & more. Most importantly, there was no all-seeing strategist that you'd know would win every single battle out there is. Mahmut himself was a great protag, and how he handles his struggles, going from inexperienced pasha to kulak to earning his spot as pasha again are awesome to watch.
Dec 25, 2017 12:38 AM

Mar 2013
Good Finale...
Not particularly enjoy the first-half part of the series, but I enjoyed the latter half part of series...
Probably gonna read the manga too one day...

8/10
Dec 25, 2017 5:05 AM

Jan 2015
A good show about war. The pacing problems hindered it but still a solid 7/10.
Dec 25, 2017 6:27 AM

Oct 2008
This series was satisfyingly successful as a war themed picture show!
Was still goes on as Zaganos continue to invade the Empire.
And Mahamut Pasha decided to carry-on the will of Halil Pasha.
Any source possible for S2???
4/5.
7/10.

Dec 26, 2017 12:30 AM

May 2016
Season 2 pliz. This show is underrated but it's definitely among the best military/political anime out there in recent memories
Dec 26, 2017 8:04 AM

Jun 2015
6/10
Decent final hower this an open end, and I really dislike those, and probably we will never get S2....
Dec 26, 2017 6:51 PM

Mar 2009
The last episode of the series and they're still introducing more characters lol.
That was a big problem in general. Way too many characters. And they even forgot about some of them, like the cute dark-skinned girl in the very beginning.

I just didn't really care about these last couple of episodes at all. I was invested all the way up to the part with the two siblings and their uncle. Their story was really interesting. Everything after that bored me to death.
Dec 27, 2017 10:10 AM

Feb 2011
This last episode showed so many possible options, there is chance for lots of things happening.

I really liked Zaganos / Mahmut slight confrontation at the end, it gave me goose bumps, those two are certainly promising and one of the best parts is that they are surrounded by very intelligent and interesting side characters too.
Dec 28, 2017 4:28 PM
Jul 2017
Was Mahmut actually praying at the end? Amazing, since they avoided religious context throughout most the series.

I will miss this series even though it had many problems with pacing and characters as described above. Mostly I like this historical period so it was fun to see it in anime format. Whenever I read about Renaissance Italy I'll probably be visualizing Mahmut and friends!
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Dec 29, 2017 2:52 PM
Mar 2016
PastFuturist said:
Was Mahmut actually praying at the end? Amazing, since they avoided religious context throughout most the series.

I will miss this series even though it had many problems with pacing and characters as described above. Mostly I like this historical period so it was fun to see it in anime format. Whenever I read about Renaissance Italy I'll probably be visualizing Mahmut and friends!

yes He was praying for Navalat( water sprit or god ) :D
and also in Türkiye kulak's(spys) crystals are also tools for pray so spies are remain to hidden in other countries.They think oh man he is pray for Water Sprit :D
moonlightknightJan 3, 2018 4:54 PM
Dec 30, 2017 4:52 AM

Apr 2013
I hope there is season 2. The show excels at tackling not only military but also politics and philosophy all at once
Jan 9, 2018 2:55 PM

Oct 2015
Time for Zaganos to take the stage as I see this war centres around him by the way Minister Louis spoke. I really loved this series, and I must say I didn't like it at first and was a drag to watch but at ep 19 onwards I was glued to the screen. Mahmut pasha has really grown on me and grown in the series. He is not like those anime pacifist I so despise, his Idea of peace is more on the combat side and I loved that. I hate when protagonists preach naive peace like he did before. His strategies were a great site to watch unfold, I am really impressed that I'm thinking of reading the manga.

I hope for season 2 and will hope for a battle with Minister Louis and the Empire's majesty.

8/10 from me and looking forward to s2 soon.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 12, 2018 2:39 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Overall it was a pretty good anime, especially with Mahmut, who's briliant with his strategies. A shame its underrated with subpar animation. I'll get around to reading the manga sometime.
Feb 4, 2018 2:26 PM

Dec 2012
Solid ending with the comparaison of Zaganos Pacha and Mahmut Pacha. I like the fact that Mahmut didn't lose his values for the revenge.

Shoukoku no Altair looks like an upgraded version of Arslan Senki. The battles were more sophisticated with great strategies. It was interesting to portrait Turkey in an anime.
I also liked the characters, they were all important with theirs own personality and ethics.

I am looking forward to a S2.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

47 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 10, 2023 10:48 PM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

41 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 10, 2023 5:43 AM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2017

42 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 8, 2023 11:58 PM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2017

46 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:41 PM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2017

28 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 4, 2023 7:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.