Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 22, 2017 2:26 PM

Feb 2015
The absolute worst anime I've ever seen.
Dec 22, 2017 2:47 PM

Sep 2016
miguitronik said:
Edit: Apparently the last five episodes of the series will be streamed online as ONAs, which fucking baffles me. WHY? WHY AIR THE FINALE OF A TV SERIES EXCLUSIVELY ONLINE INSTEAD OF JUST AIRING 17 EPISODES?

Well, after this mess I certainly won't be waiting to watch them. I don't care how good they make the ending, this still fails as an anime.
Probably because the TV station only giving them a 12 episodes length anime programming block. Tokyo MX rarely airs 2 cour shows.
PolarCyrus97Dec 22, 2017 2:54 PM
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Dec 22, 2017 2:59 PM
Jun 2015
It kinda sucks how this is just getting a bunch of hate just because it's a bit different than the normal, in the fact that you get info with the people, instead of just knowing everything beforehand.

I though it was alright. I enjoyed it.
Dec 22, 2017 3:06 PM

Jan 2016
I'm gonna be honest, I still belive the VN is good (i've never read it). I just think that this is one of the worst VN adaptations ever.

The music was the only plus
Dec 22, 2017 3:10 PM

Oct 2015
Well, the show, at least the main one we still got OVAs left, is complete.

Im beating a dead horse here, but this is just a terrible adaptation. The Shirou vs. Wilhelm fight here was hype af in the VN, but it just felt...lacklustre. And like some said, Shreiber's behavior doesnt make sense at this point, but basically the only way he can express himself is through bloodshed. He cant comprehend anything beyond that.

5/10, not the worst show ive watched but still hella boring and disappointing. Couldve been the show of the season imo if it had more than just crowdfunding. If anyone else is still interested, please read the VN on steam, the common route is free to play.
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Dec 22, 2017 3:16 PM

Jul 2015
People who do not understand that this adaptation was produced to advertise at Visual Novel, you are really funny. At least the producers have assumed to have had budget concerns that this was not going to be famous. How do you want to adapt a visual novel so long with such a small budget?

Oh my apologies, shonenfaggots or people not wanting to understand anything because 60 QI can not understand such things behind the production of this anime. it's not famous, but it's not crap.
Dec 22, 2017 3:36 PM

Aug 2014
Holy shit this is one of the worst VN adaptations ever delivered, thanks ACGT
Dec 22, 2017 3:53 PM

Jan 2017
wow, how uninteresting
this anime is one that I have not been able to become attached to; that's troublesome, I couldn't understand the detached episodes either...

who's the redhead, she's one cynical character.

who's ren?
tidoesstuffDec 22, 2017 5:04 PM
Dec 22, 2017 4:26 PM

May 2015
Even without reading the VN, it was pretty obvious this was one awful adaptation. I should just get into the VN one of these days.

Dec 22, 2017 4:29 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
at least we got to see Redheads panties
Dec 22, 2017 4:32 PM
Dec 2013
ovy7 said:

So, anyone knows when the ONAs will be released?

They announced on Twitter that next week will be a recap episode. I think the ONA starts the week after, on January 5th.

Anyway, this adaptation has been awful so far and I doubt it will get better. Anyone who's remotely interested in the story are better off just reading the VN at this point.
Dec 22, 2017 4:36 PM

Sep 2011
I regret not dropping this. I didn't expect there'll be worse than Rewrite and Tsukihime when it comes to VN adaptations.

Now I'm very unsure if I want to play the visual novel instead. I love Rea and Rusalka and they're the reason why I made this far...

Dec 22, 2017 5:04 PM

Sep 2014
What a garbage season it was when I was forced to watch this one till the end..
Dec 22, 2017 5:06 PM
Jun 2017
After watching this one i still feel confused, i mean it does some history of ren and kazumi at the start but after that i dont know what happened on next scenes, as it became a battle of Shirou and Wilhelm then all of the sudden scheiber appeared and say some stuff..

I feel live i still need to read the original source for this one since i cant get its story as a whole...

*and based in many sources it ended on episode 11 but i dont feel it since it has no conclusion...
Dec 22, 2017 7:09 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The VN is a bit pretentious at times, but overall it was a blast to read. This adaptation was an embarrassment. It's utterly bad. It's clearly was made to appeal to the VN readers and not get any new fans, because I'm sure newcomers were lost af while watching this. There's still the ONAs left, but I doubt they can fix the mess this adaptation created.

If the VN is more like an 8/10 for me, this adaptation is more like a 4/10, solely because of the fantastic music (though if I haven't read the VN, this series would've been more like a 2-3/10). Easily the worst visual novel adaptation I've ever seen.
Dec 23, 2017 12:41 AM

Jul 2014
Wow the level of hate here ..... can't blame tho there wasn't any redeeming aspect about this anime besides some fan service extra scene for the VN readers

Okay, everyone, this anime was is trash but if you see any potential in it you should give the VN a shot, the common routes are free on steam it's about 10 hours of gameplay and cover up to Ren vs Reinhard fight but with A LOT extra content the anime jumped over
Dec 23, 2017 1:52 AM

Mar 2013
Well that was 4 hours of my life i'm never getting back...
Dec 23, 2017 2:51 AM

Jun 2007
What an absolute mess of a show.
Can safely say I won't be watching the rest of the ONA when they are released.

The show just made me feel like I was watching a group of kids with their toys, playing super heroes with over powered abilities that made no sense. and nothing is explained and stuff happens just because.

The only thing I can say I enjoyed about this show was the soundtrack. I would happily buy that.

2/10. Would not recommend this to anyone. Put it in the trash where it belongs.
Dec 23, 2017 3:18 AM
Nov 2015
Lol @ the sister and mother thing that appeared on wilhems back.

Love how that other women birthed that full grown shirou, then gets her face crushed and then punched in for the remaining of the episode.

I think this anime was made to be comedical.
Dec 23, 2017 5:20 AM

May 2014
Hentai_conjurer said:
Sparteh said:
To ruin something what has potential of Fate Series to this trash... This is as bad as Umineko and worse than Tsukihime... THERE IS NO DIES IRAE ANIME

You guys should rather just watch this compilation of VN openings which is better then entire season of anime.

Bitch please, this is almost the best possible anime version of Dies Irae that could exist

Not sure if I should take it as stupid joke or a comment made by a little kid with absolutely bad taste...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2017 7:13 AM

Jan 2016
Sparteh said:
Hentai_conjurer said:

Bitch please, this is almost the best possible anime version of Dies Irae that could exist

Not sure if I should take it as stupid joke or a comment made by a little kid with absolutely bad taste...

It does not matter how young I am or how asinine my comments can be for this anime is actually good. Woe to all of the normies who cannot see the true worth of this anime
In time, you will know the tragic extent of my fapping's...
Dec 23, 2017 7:25 AM
Jul 2018
Just going to say here but despite the rushed mess of the last few episodes, I still kinda enjoyed it? I mean, this is just me coming from someone that hasn't read the source material. I've seen much worse adaption wise (*cough* Berserk 2017 *cough), but yeah I can understand some people's complaints, but I'm talking about myself and my experience with this.

Overall, it was just fun ride in all honesty. What made the series higher than it could have gotten were the characters and some of the aspects of the series were interesting. Fortunately I did understood some of the stuff the show pretty much gave, but that was either:

1) Me trying to piece things together in order to understand the plot (at least it was something)

or

2) Some people that have read the source material had to explain a bit to me, or give corrections.

Mostly it was #1 for my end but fortunately I wasn't as confused or trippy about it. Besides, I really expected the series to just be this sort of "nazi edgefest" mindset to begin with, and I got that at least. It was entertaining. As for the VN, I don't know when I can be able to read this sometime, highly doubt it because once again my internet connection doesn't support it (and I don't wanna live another Rewrite download level again, ever. It was worth it, but not worth suffering only playing Cards Against Humanity for 2 weeks, ugh just no).

Overall score: 6/10 or maybe a 7/10, still debating what to give it.

Also I just realized there are the ONAs left for this so, I'll just have to see how those go.
Dec 23, 2017 7:31 AM

May 2012
I hope Rusalka won't die
Dec 23, 2017 9:25 AM

May 2017
New enemy appears and defeats the old enemy in mere seconds again and again and again

Lmfao

Kasumi and Rea are the only reasons I'm still watching this
Dec 23, 2017 11:07 AM

Oct 2013
Devil_Slayer said:
Wow the level of hate here ..... can't blame tho there wasn't any redeeming aspect about this anime besides some fan service extra scene for the VN readers

Okay, everyone, this anime was is trash but if you see any potential in it you should give the VN a shot, the common routes are free on steam it's about 10 hours of gameplay and cover up to Ren vs Reinhard fight but with A LOT extra content the anime jumped over

I can't hate it, since one can see the potential in it. In the anime's confusing events that a non-VN reader tries to make sense out of, succeeding only to a degree, it leaves one with the thought that "Hey, this could actually be super interesting!" which in turn makes someone like me, who was never a big VN reader(I've read less than 10 in total) and haven't touched one in like 2-3 years, really want to read it.
Dec 23, 2017 11:33 AM

Jul 2014
ManlyTear said:
Devil_Slayer said:

I can't hate it, since one can see the potential in it. In the anime's confusing events that a non-VN reader tries to make sense out of, succeeding only to a degree, it leaves one with the thought that "Hey, this could actually be super interesting!" which in turn makes someone like me, who was never a big VN reader(I've read less than 10 in total) and haven't touched one in like 2-3 years, really want to read it.

I am not big fan of VN either, I only read 4 Visual Novel and dropped one of them

I still had blast reading DI because of the ost and excellent characters
Dec 23, 2017 11:05 PM

Aug 2015
There was no sexy scene with Kei in the shower. 0/10
Dec 24, 2017 1:57 AM
Mar 2012
what even... I get the general direction, nice backstory explains the staged meeting of the 3 mains.
What's that weird foster dad trying to experiment on Ren? (queue snk Eren's dad)
Who's that zoning out in the torture chamber (Marie?), that Shirou saw then just ignore?
Who's the random white hair (Cloudia? with the best art of the entire episode) role in the story?
So Shirou randomly became a Reinhard mirror, quite interesting what Karl said & him almost like god.
Lots of Malleus scenes seem pointless. Oh a crazy eyepatch dude, even more tokyo ghoul besides Bey.
Don't really care what happens to them. Maybe sympathize Bey a bit, since his life's full of disappointments, let the poor man play with Shirou.
Dec 24, 2017 10:59 PM

Aug 2014
gophercg said:

What's that weird foster dad trying to experiment on Ren? (queue snk Eren's dad)
Who's that zoning out in the torture chamber (Marie?), that Shirou saw then just ignore?
Who's the random white hair (Cloudia? with the best art of the entire episode) role in the story?
Lots of Malleus scenes seem pointless. Oh a crazy eyepatch dude, even more tokyo ghoul besides Bey.

1.he wanted to gain more power and such by figuring out mercurius's sorcery or something along those lines
2.dont remember but probably kasumi?
3.Claudia, she's from Interview with Kaziklu Bey where she's a main character, she is not in DI
Rusalka is a major character in the fourth route so all of her scenes just foreshadow her story there, more or less
Dec 25, 2017 5:42 AM

Oct 2008
the fight between Shirou Yusa and Wilhelm Bey was EPIC!
everything else is confusing...
4/5.

Dec 25, 2017 8:14 AM
May 2010
...Well, the first half of this episode offers a glimpse of Mercurius' true nature. Bit earlier than expected, but I'm curious how the anime will handle him going forward. He's one of my favorite characters in general media.

The second half...hoo boy. It covers the entirety of chapter 10 in the visual novel. That's roughly 2 hours of content, condensed into 10 minutes. Calling it rushed would be an understatement, and trying to clarify what went down would be way too much work - I may as well just post a video of the chapter, and I'm not sure if that's even allowed.

So instead I'd like to touch on Rusalka a bit, and her brief scuffle with Rea. The character interactions are where Dies Irae is at its best, and the anime, frankly, isn't doing so hot with that :P

Dec 25, 2017 11:01 AM

Sep 2014
Insertanamehere said:
gophercg said:

2.dont remember but probably kasumi?

Rusalka was the one there.
There is no sanity here, we are madmen engaging in usless folly.
Dec 25, 2017 12:52 PM

May 2012
Whoahoho said:
Wtf, just like that, they ended it with a cliffhanger???????

What you are talking about. There is still episode 12 to 17
https://myanimelist.net/anime/36515/Dies_Irae_ONA

Episode 12 to 17 won't air on TV, only on web stream. Thats why MAL put in a separate page
Dec 25, 2017 10:45 PM

Sep 2014
Dies Irae itself is a work that translate very poorly to animation, almost as bad as Fate. DI's greatest strength is Masada's prose (which Gare and Conjueror translated very well into the English language), the fight scenes in the VN are stylish as fuck, both in writing and scene directing (the final fight of Marie's route is Chuuni gold). That and the characters are the greatest part of the VN, everything else is fairly mediocre (romance, plot, mystery), and the writer is aware of it.

(Slight endgame Marie route spoiler) This little segment pretty much encompasses DI's greatest strengths as a whole:

OSFrogDec 25, 2017 10:55 PM
Dec 26, 2017 3:26 PM

Jul 2014
I watched all of this series and I'm still confused what even happened.

Then again from my knowledge this is a VN so... Time to find the visual novel!
Dec 27, 2017 11:57 AM
Jul 2015
Painful. This show was so painful to watch. Did not care for any of the characters nor did I remember most of their names. Garbage. Even ousama game was better than this because of the laughs I got from it lol.
Dec 27, 2017 12:02 PM
Jul 2015
0x5809 said:
What a garbage season it was when I was forced to watch this one till the end..
for sure. I thought things would clear up and would get better towards the end but MANNN was I wrong.
Dec 27, 2017 10:04 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Some dreadful adaption, I got to say. I haven’t tried out the Visual Novel but I have heard great things about it, and quite frankly after watching this show, I’m having second thoughts. I know this is not the end of the show, but I just can’t see how the remaining ONA episodes will be able to make such a big difference and become awesome all of a sudden.

Almost everything, literally, about this show seemed off. Storytelling, to make things worse, was definitely head over the heels the worst aspect of this show. I’m aware that Episode 0 was meant for those who have already tried out the Visual Novel, so no comments there. However, Episode 1 and the whole series(first cour rather) in general was just as confusing and out of the place for first time viewers, such as I, as Episode 0. Quite rhetorical, but it certainly was like that for me. Even after watching Episode 12 just moments ago, I can’t even distinguish between the protagonist and the antagonists. It just feels like Ren and his two childhood friends v Lord Heydrich with the others still wandering between the two sides. Moving on, the Characters of this show, albeit having complex names that I’m having trouble remembering, are all displayed in a messy manner. For instance, in Episode 12, the villain fighting Shirou got this awkward flashback and what’s up with the “my sister and mother”? Was she like raped by her father or something? Given this show’s insanity, I wouldn’t be surprised of that actually were to be the case. Lol, I still have no idea who Theresia is though. So many implications were made regarding her but I just can’t seem to get my head around it. Probably because I already lost interest in this show earlier but who knows. There are so many more things that I can still think of, but a little too many for my convenience.

As such,
- Storyline/Plot Developments: 3/10
- Characterization/Character Development: 4/10
- Art/Animation: 7/10
Decent at this Department. Could have been a lot better had the fighting sequences and choreography done better.
- Sound Department: 9/10
Brilliant at this Department, so a good thing to keep you engaged to the show.
- Personal Enjoyment: 5/10
I won’t lie, I was quite interested in the first few episodes but once the pacing of the show and the Storyline warped in multiple dimensions at whatsoever, my Enjoyment Scale wavered and confusion took over.

-> Overall: Barely a 5/10 at best.
I hope the ONAs will do wonders, but expectations for it are rather low.
In other words, hoping for a Baccano!-like finale.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 29, 2017 12:23 AM

Mar 2009
Can't say I understood why Shirou randomly popped out of Rusalka's stomach but can't say I understood much in this series. And who was the girl Bey saw before dying?
dafuq.

Well, hey, this was clearly made for the VN readers and that's perfectly fine I guess. Hopefully they enjoyed the adaptation but I'm seeing otherwise in this thread here.
Dec 29, 2017 8:24 PM

Jul 2015
...was that the season finale?... Well I can safely say I WON'T BE COMING BACK FOR ANOTHER ROUND OF THIS. Maybe I'll go read the visual novel, seems like a good amount of people here agree that this was a horrible adaption of a pretty good VN.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Dec 30, 2017 5:47 AM

Jul 2008
This show started by making no sense, and it ends making even less sense.

Sorry but this was a 1/10.
Dec 31, 2017 1:50 PM

Oct 2015
That was a messed up ending for sure and it made no sense in story wise. The season ended with Shirou as the main point, what was up with that I'm confused and why did it end with him. I have to agree the action was there in this one but plot wise, damn did it suck so bad. Next thing they here and then the next, whoever made sense of this must be an alien.

The story was all over the place like a madman, sheesh and the characters were all forgettable except some baddies like that burned face woman and of course the villain Reinhard. If you had to tell someone what this was about, I would laugh and drink a hard one.

6/10 for the senseless action and basically help boost this sorry excuse of an anime.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 7, 2018 11:59 AM

Aug 2014
Mormegil said:

Well, hey, this was clearly made for the VN readers and that's perfectly fine I guess.

lol no
unless it was made to piss them off
Jan 15, 2018 5:04 AM

Jul 2014
Totally garbage. I'm thinking the post production has been on a rush to do that, it's not even finished. There's no clue of what Ren is supposed to do,all we see is an unfinished scene with Shiro walking away, just what.
Jan 20, 2018 6:10 AM
Apr 2013
It was a mess, now that I caught up. I am able to make sense of it, after some thinking, though....*shrugs*

But hey, I did catch quite a few similarities with FSN, on the bright side.

For those who read the VN, what episode did the common route end? (PS. I have a bad feeling they're going for a unified route much like other VN adaptations.)
albertrojasJan 20, 2018 6:14 AM
Jan 21, 2018 6:32 AM
Jan 2018
bad adaptation, wished to see rusalka and lotus too bad this is going to Marie route.
P.S. Rusalka ending in VN best ending
Jan 22, 2018 1:51 AM
Jul 2015
albertrojas said:
It was a mess, now that I caught up. I am able to make sense of it, after some thinking, though....*shrugs*

For those who read the VN, what episode did the common route end? (PS. I have a bad feeling they're going for a unified route much like other VN adaptations.)

The common route ended on episode 6 and everything after that is mainly based on Marie's route although they have added some things from Rea's route into the anime.
Jan 22, 2018 8:30 AM
Apr 2013
Zer0112 said:
albertrojas said:

The common route ended on episode 6 and everything after that is mainly based on Marie's route although they have added some things from Rea's route into the anime.

Oh, thanks for the info.
Jan 27, 2018 9:32 PM
Jun 2016
It was OK for me 6/10
Jan 29, 2018 2:26 PM

Dec 2012
It was so confusing...
I think, it's the worst anime of the season. The VN story seems interesting, but with this adaptation I didn't understand what happened and what was the main topic of the story.
And the scenes with the skulls are weird.
At least, the opening song was nice :)
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is the VN as bad as the anime?

FireFistYK - Dec 9, 2017

12 by PunGood020 »»
Oct 10, 2023 1:23 PM

» Shinza Banshou

AkatsukiUlquiora - Dec 1, 2020

3 by InstantRamenKing »»
Apr 26, 2023 5:54 AM

Poll: » Dies Irae Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2017

88 by ReaperCreeper »»
Dec 29, 2020 5:05 AM

Poll: » Dies Irae Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2017

76 by Vindicater »»
Oct 19, 2020 4:07 AM

Poll: » Dies Irae Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

63 by Vindicater »»
Oct 15, 2020 2:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.