Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 22, 2017 5:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was felt like a classic of the series.

Kino and her journey continues and the open world really brings in a sense of adventure. Rather than her bike though, she takes a car this time around. That scene with Kino shooting the animals in a blaze of fire was quite something though. Truly an intense spectacle.

I'm going to miss anime for sure. This episode pretty much just featured Kino and her bike friend. 8/10.
Dec 22, 2017 8:58 AM

Oct 2010
no sheep were harmed in the making of this episode! love this show :)

Dec 22, 2017 9:03 AM

Mar 2016
who knew watching sheep being hit by a car and being shot could be so entertaining.

defintely going to miss this
Dec 22, 2017 9:17 AM
Dec 2010
I would've rather had the show end at Episode 11, which was an absolutely phenomenal penultimate episode. Going into this episode I had no idea how they would even attempt to top it. Unfortunately they didn't even try and it fell flat for me.

This definitely felt like the weakest story of the season and the sheep had absolutely terrible CGI. Lackluster ending to an otherwise solid season.

Shows with excellent one-off episodes are really hard to come by now a days. I'd love to get some closure for Shizu, Kino's master and especially Kino, so hopefully there will be another season.

8/10 season for me.

Could've easily been 9/10 if the animation was better in several areas, particularly the backgrounds in some spots and the use of weak CGI. I have nothing against CGI when it's done well but it was definitely poorly executed in this show.
Dec 22, 2017 9:24 AM

Dec 2014
Quite the sheepish encounter this episode. xD
Kino certainly massacred her way out of the situation though.

Felt bad for the sheep after learning why they were so driven to violence. :(

Great series overall, I haven't seen the original so this was my first introduction to the lauded 'Kino no Tabi' series that I've heard people heap praise for and it's most certainly left a very good impression on me. I find the ideas and themes the series tries to present and showcase through Kino's journey through various countries each with their own distinct culture and perspective on things very intriguing. While I may not know how well this stands upto the original, I'd like to say this was good in it's own right and until I get down to watching the original, this is still a great show in my books.

8/10
Dec 22, 2017 9:26 AM

Nov 2017
That fourth wall break at the end to set up a sequel made me feel all fuzzy, even if it probably won't happen. This episode wasnt bad, but it wasn't great. I liked it though, I give this series a solid 8/10.

The original series was a lot better, but this was still enjoyable. I think the first episode of the new series was the best.

Now go watch the original if you haven't yet.

(isn't it strange how photo is in the opening but only in one episode? weird.)
impastaDec 22, 2017 9:46 AM
Dec 22, 2017 9:41 AM

Jul 2012
That was rather strange last episode, what was the point of that story and don't feel it had any connection to the whole picture.
Overall i really liked this anime and with rarely watching old stuff for me it was really nice that it got adaptation. It had good animation and music, pretty interesting stories, not always consistent and obv Kino and Hermes are such a good partners! And it felt like it was an old-stype anime like a the collection of different stories.

Was solid 8 without last episode and i still think it deserves 8/10, definitely enjoyed a lot!
Dec 22, 2017 9:51 AM

Sep 2015
Kino’s Journey Overall Impressions:

When I first heard of Kino’s Journey’s praises, I was pretty curious about watching it. Since hearing about the new anime and looking at the modernized character designs, I decided that I would watch the 2017 adaptation. Since watching the first episode, I loved it.

The premise of traveling to different countries with different rules/conditions is very fascinating. Kino’s mysterious sense of morality towards these countries and the time he spends in these places drives my interest in this show. The super fun part is guessing whether Kino will commit immoral actions or spending time to help out others in the countries she visits.People apparently say this was a bad adaptation, but for the twelve episodes I have seen, they have done a great job executing some of the countries, with them getting me to care about the country and the citizens around them in various degrees due to Kino’s actions.

There are complaints I have with the series, mainly coming with the Shizu’s segments. His character was pretty interesting in the second episode, but as his second appearance really dragged the experience by a severe degree. He is not as interesting as Kino in terms of morality, and the companions that come with him did not do much to make his character intriguing. By the end of Kino’s Journey, I did not get to know what Shizu’s motivations and backstories were. Perhaps that will be covered in a second season, but had Chizu been given more character exploration from the beginning of his role, I would have accepted his frequent appearances a little more.

Overall, Kino’s Journey was a really great anime. The premise is simplistic, yet executes its episodic stories so well. Personally, my favorite country was the Kind Country in Episode 10, that one really took me with strong emotions.
Dec 22, 2017 9:58 AM

Nov 2007
Couldn't help but laugh at all the sheep bouncing off the jeep.
Dec 22, 2017 10:10 AM

Dec 2014
the sheep was alright scary...I was not expecting them to be this violent...nice bad ass skills Kino... gonna miss this series
Dec 22, 2017 10:14 AM

Jul 2015
That was freaking hilarious, you never know what might happen next in Kino.

Overall I think this will be a 7.5/10 from my part, I enjoyed it a bit less than the original due to the focus on side characters instead of Kino in multiple episodes (the Photo episode was great tho), but it was a fun ride nonetheless.
Dec 22, 2017 10:21 AM

Sep 2011
Hmm... I had issues with this episode. I get the message they were going for, but they took it way too over-the-top for this show, in my opinion. And Kino was not at all sheepish about that slaughter...

Hermes was quite brave though, making himself the sacrificial lamb. For all he knew he could have been leaving himself like a lamb to the slaughter... okay, I'll stop now.

In all seriousness, this season had its ups and downs, overall it was pretty good but not great. It did some interesting things that the original didn't, which was nice to see, but I think the original is still better overall. That said, this does still add quite a bit to the world, in particular with the side characters. The episode with Photo was definitely the best new content this version had to offer, that was an incredible episode, and the Kind Country as a stand-alone episode was extremely well-done and gained one VERY subtle point due to the episodes before it, but also lost out on a couple of major points because of what it didn't have in the episodes before it.

BluePikmin11 said:
There are complaints I have with the series, mainly coming with the Shizu’s segments. His character was pretty interesting in the second episode, but as his second appearance really dragged the experience by a severe degree. He is not as interesting as Kino in terms of morality, and the companions that come with him did not do much to make his character intriguing. By the end of Kino’s Journey, I did not get to know what Shizu’s motivations and backstories were. Perhaps that will be covered in a second season, but had Chizu been given more character exploration from the beginning of his role, I would have accepted his frequent appearances a little more.

Overall, Kino’s Journey was a really great anime. The premise is simplistic, yet executes its episodic stories so well. Personally, my favorite country was the Kind Country in Episode 10, that one really took me with strong emotions.

Based on your impressions, I would highly recommend watching the previous adaptation. The Coliseum story is expanded into 2 episodes in that version, which really lets it shine a lot more and touch a little deeper into some of what was mentioned about Shizu in this version, but not really expounded upon even though he got more episodes this time, which he didn't in the original. Kind Country and Land of the Adults are the other two stories that were in both adaptations, and as I said above the way things are arranged in the original version adds a lot to Kind Country that was unfortunately not present in this version, though it was still fantastically done.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Dec 22, 2017 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
So I finished this just now and I guess to say, I can sort of agree that episode 11 was a good way to end this series, but this finale wasn't too bad either. This episode felt like just something refreshing to some extent, but at the same time it was enjoyable of an watch.

My thoughts tho: Its a good remake for what it does on its own, and honestly I can see this as an valid option if anyone wants to get to Kino's Journey, because even if it is stupid some people probably wouldn't get into it because of the artstyle and the pacing not being adequate so to speak. This is a bit mild but still brings the point across from the original to an extent.

What's missing is the atmosphere and the tone which the original had which made the series great, but you can't really capture that feeling or type of directing like that much unless someone is very knowledgable at that part. The director and the staff despite being newbies, they did their best to at least deliver some of the stuff the series gave, even if it doesn't live up to the original Kino.

Not saying this is bad at all, but I do think its worth pointing out that fact.

My score for this would be an 7-8/10, debating what to give at the moment still. Again, it doesn't surpass the original but still a good remake for people that wants to get into it, and maybe it would be a good thing also to introduce them this and then go to the original. Whatever choice it goes I suppose.
Dec 22, 2017 10:27 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, fear the sheep.
I thought that they only wanted to play with Kino in the beginning, but I was wrong.
Dec 22, 2017 10:46 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The irony behind the sheep and the country killed me xD Man I'm gonna miss this series

Dec 22, 2017 10:52 AM

Jun 2015
This episode is an odd way to end this show. Kino killed lots of sheep that were out to get her. It was pretty entertaining to watch though. This was decent show overall. There were some good moments here and there. It was interesting to watch Kino go to different countries and interact with the people. 6/10
Dec 22, 2017 10:59 AM

Feb 2011
Man i bet this episode triggered lots of vegans/animal rights activists
Dec 22, 2017 11:01 AM

Aug 2013
This was a strange finale but still entertaining. Kino showed no mercy.

Overall, this was a great show. I enjoyed every bit of it and I'm going to miss watching this every week. 8/10.

Dec 22, 2017 11:05 AM

Sep 2017
Well, it has been quite the journey. This anime presented us with various situations and short tales about different countries, each one different than the last and with many different ways of thinking.

What I liked the most about this anime was it's unusual way of solving the conflicts presented by each country, showing us both sides of the story and letting the audience decide what's correct. Some people might call this lazy writing and being unable to think of a proper resolution, but the thing with Kino's journey is that, for the most part, there isn't one. There's choices, with their pros and cons.

The characters are very interesting. Even if I didn't watch any of the previous work related to this series and don't know if their backrounds are expanded upon in those, their ways of acting and thinking are quite intriguing, and there reallly arent many clearly "bad" or "good" guys. Kino means no harm to anyone, but she is ready to kill and basically started a civil war in Shizu's country. Shizu is also able to help an entire country and save a little girl in the process, but his only goal when we first met him was to kill his father. And Tii... well, Tii likes grenades.

If there is something that I didn't like about the series whas it's use of CG. I get that it's used to cheapen production, but it sometimes sitcks out too much. But this is only a minor nitpick. Also, some episodes are clearly more interesting than others, and while I really liked Kino and Hermes' conversation at the end, maybe it's just me but I couldn't take the sheeps all that seriously, especially with the hilariously dubbed noises they made when getting shot.

With all that said, Kino's Journey is an interesting and very entertaining series that really made me want to check out the original 2003 anime and it's movies, and I'll start watching those whenever I find the time to do so between next season's animes.

7.5/10 (8 in my MAL rating since it made me want to check out the original).
miguitronikDec 22, 2017 11:09 AM
Dec 22, 2017 11:15 AM

Nov 2016
That was a crazy episode,first time I saw that sheeps can be this scary,but what a waste, they would have made a great BBQ xD

Overall I enjoyed this show very much and the opening and ending are amazing,yet I liked the older version a bit more, so it's just a 7,5/10 for me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 22, 2017 11:23 AM

Dec 2014
It was like playing GTA, but instead of people being run over it was sheep. Plenty of good wtfs and it was pretty funny.

Overall 7/10. Really wanted more Photo but nooo she got only one ep. Will add the 2003 one to my ever growing PTW list...
I need sleep.
Dec 22, 2017 11:23 AM

Sep 2013
Nice, a whole episode dedicated to PETA.

Although I personally think this adaptation could not have hold a candle to the first adaptation, overall, the series wasn't as bad as I previously anticipated. It was great that they were able to include significant characters that didn't make an appearance in the 2003 version (whether they were excluded or weren't written yet) although it may not be possible, it would be cool if they made a season 2 where they adapt some more of the better chapters from the novel. Over all, I this series is a 7.1/10
*Screaming autistically through the screen*
Dec 22, 2017 11:35 AM

Nov 2016
I can't believe they hire Yuu Kobayashi to voice one of the sheep. That was the biggest surprise in this episode.

The episode itself is... Definitely one of the weirder story in Kino no tabi (not the weirdest).
Dec 22, 2017 11:41 AM

Feb 2013
Stark700 said:

No it fucking doesn't. This is what if felt like.

Pretty torn here. These episodes the full gamut from stuff I expected from the original to shit like this storywise where the buildup felt like it was more in service of giving Kino a moment to look like a badass gunslinger then to spend time making a strong point.
gedataDec 22, 2017 11:48 AM
Dec 22, 2017 11:43 AM

Aug 2014
phenomenal from episode one to episode 12 <3 10/10.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Dec 22, 2017 11:46 AM

Jan 2014
I kind of wish they kept the psychological aspect of the original into this one. It would probably be rated higher. Even then, this one wasn't bad. I just felt like it was lacking a certain impact.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 22, 2017 12:38 PM
Jul 2016
An episode about bloodsports, animal rights, and how releasing those "trained killers" in the wild affects the ecosystem and actually comes back to harm the country responsible for everything? I get the message, but i find it hard to take this episode seriously when it's a candidate for worst animation and worst CGI of the year. It was so laughably bad that i thought maybe it was done like this on purpose, that maybe it was an artistic choice...

Now, for Kino no Tabi 2017 as a whole. Let's just say it shows that the staff are a bunch of inexperienced nobodies that didn't really do anything to boost their reputation with their work here. The negatives vastly outweigh the positives. The only thing that comes to my mind when thinking back on this adaptation was the animated afterword which was literally groundbreaking and an extremely unique idea.

To clarify, i don't think this season was horrible. But having watched the 2003 version and unavoidably ending up comparing the two, i just feel the 2017 version is waaaaaay inferior. I appreciate that it tries to do its own thing, which is all too apparent in the remake episodes, but it just doesn't compare to the original and i'm certain i'll feel the same way when i get around to reading the LNs and seeing how the source material was adaptated.

Ultimately though, while it had its fair share of problems, this is still Kino no Tabi. It is EASILY better than most other seasonal anime only for the source material alone. So, i will take the sequel you were teasing Lerche. please get other people to work on it and give them a good budget
MouloxasDec 22, 2017 2:13 PM
Dec 22, 2017 1:09 PM

Aug 2013
I think I liked about half of the series while the rest was kinda flat. Overall, I thought it was an 8 but really it just feels like a 5 or 6. I'm pretty sure I would appreciate it more if I knew the source or watched the original but since this series didn't impress me to the point where I feel the desire to do either, I'm just gonna write it off as just another slightly above average experience.
Don't believe the hype.
Dec 22, 2017 1:16 PM

Sep 2013
That sound when sheep died was very funny. xd
Dec 22, 2017 1:18 PM

Jun 2017
Over all I give this series a 6/10. Though I did enjoy the show I found it a bit all over the place. There were good episodes and boring episodes.

I will have to try and watch the original at some point. I would watch a second season as well if it ever is made.

Also I found it a lackluster finale, I would have rather seen Ep. 11 as the ending for the season.
Dec 22, 2017 1:23 PM

Sep 2011
Can't wait for the next journey.
Dec 22, 2017 1:55 PM

Feb 2017
Damn, those were some scary sheep.

Dec 22, 2017 2:05 PM
Dec 2013
Attack of the Killer Sheep. A nice horror-like, action-packed episode to end the show with. Second season please!
wildhoodDec 23, 2017 1:13 AM
Dec 22, 2017 2:42 PM

Jun 2014
Loved the original Kino's Journey and I loved this adaptation too!

This last episode was weird compared to all the others, but it explained what releasing animals bred to fight into the ecosystem could do to it. It also showed the bond between Kino and Hermes is one that Kino will go to any lengths to always have Hermes by her side.

Really hope that the snippet at the end means we will finally get a true second season to this wonderful story of Kino and her adventures!

Overall 9/10!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Dec 22, 2017 3:07 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I mean i wanted to ignore that this episode happened but that was just....why? Why even is that the finale?

7/10, weird ending to the series.
Dec 22, 2017 3:16 PM

Oct 2017
Gosh, this adaptation is such a let-down.

This episode is a fun watch but it seriously shouldn't be put in last episode, knowing there will likely be no sequal any time soon.

I always try to "find a point" of the story-telling, but seriously this ending makes me feel like "hey, what's the point of watching this" more than anything.

Can anyone tell me 2003 Kino ends in such a mediocre way too?

I gave this series a 9/10 at ep3, and now it dropped to 6/10 after watching the whole thing.
The pacing is too weird and some episodes really seem pointless to me.
I expect to learn abit more about Kino and the Side characters instead of ending like this..
Dec 22, 2017 3:49 PM
Nov 2013
Hatsuyuki said:
Man i bet this episode triggered lots of vegans/animal rights activists

Nope, not at all... my reaction was more like "Oh, shit..." Plus, it's a god damn anime! No Vegans or Animal rights activists should get upset because none of this is real.

It's like creating an imaginary friend and praying to them in hopes of not torturing you forever.
Dec 22, 2017 3:59 PM

May 2015
Did anyone notice that they kept changing the hair and eye colour of Kino ? Or is that just me.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 22, 2017 4:14 PM
Feb 2012
Ventus_S said:

They ended the 2003 series with a kind land. Which was perfect for the theme and tone of the series.

This sheep thing, while hilarious and fun, didn't fit at all, which is the main problem I had with the remake. There was no real overarching theme to the series and the show really suffered for it.
Dec 22, 2017 4:48 PM

Mar 2014
Lmao best episode of the series

Overall this season was mediocre in comparison to the original

5/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 22, 2017 4:53 PM

May 2015
Well, not the best finale I've seen.

I've never watched the original series, so I can't compare the two versions. Maybe I should get to that one day. As for the remake goes, I thought it was pretty enjoyable overall.

8/10.

Dec 22, 2017 5:21 PM

Feb 2013
Ventus_S said:

It ended with the "Kind Country" story so no.
Dec 22, 2017 5:31 PM

Oct 2017
Kaquin said:
Ventus_S said:

They ended the 2003 series with a kind land. Which was perfect for the theme and tone of the series.

This sheep thing, while hilarious and fun, didn't fit at all, which is the main problem I had with the remake. There was no real overarching theme to the series and the show really suffered for it.

It's like a report/ essay with lots of information, research , arguments, data, but then you decide to toss the thesis , intro, conclusion randomly within the middle part of the essay,
My teacher will give me a C or C- if that's the case.

Incohesive story telling may work only if it helps proves/ demonstrate a point.
However, from this new adaptation, I see no point putting the theme randomly somewhere within the story cuz it serves no purpose.
Dec 22, 2017 5:35 PM

Dec 2007
gedata said:
Stark700 said:

Pretty torn here. These episodes the full gamut from stuff I expected from the original to shit like this storywise where the buildup felt like it was more in service of giving Kino a moment to look like a badass gunslinger then to spend time making a strong point.
THANK YOU!

Someone else who got the same impression I did. Heck, I got that impression the first time we saw them.

By the way, did anyone else get a nice laugh at the scene where Kino charged them in the land rover? Seeing multiple ghost sheep just disappear into the side of the vehicle, the way they randomly curled up and bounced, it all looked like something out of a slapstick title. You'd almost think it was intentionally tongue-in-cheek, or maybe they were indeed giving a tip of the hat to that New Zealand film.

Overall, the series was far more uneven than the original title. While still quite good, it falls quite short of what it could have been. Nonetheless, I'd follow another season.
Dec 22, 2017 5:41 PM

Oct 2017
ErwinJA said:
gedata said:

THANK YOU!

Someone else who got the same impression I did. Heck, I got that impression the first time we saw them.

By the way, did anyone else get a nice laugh at the scene where Kino charged them in the land rover? Seeing multiple ghost sheep just disappear into the side of the vehicle, the way they randomly curled up and bounced, it all looked like something out of a slapstick title. You'd almost think it was intentionally tongue-in-cheek, or maybe they were indeed giving a tip of the hat to that New Zealand film.

Overall, the series was far more uneven than the original title. While still quite good, it falls quite short of what it could have been. Nonetheless, I'd follow another season.

I can't stop laughing watching this after this episode.

Guess this movie take reference from Kino or the other way round lolz..
Dec 22, 2017 6:03 PM

May 2017
Somebody should make a FPS where you get to slaughter sheep. Looks like fun.
Dec 22, 2017 6:36 PM
Mar 2015
Now that was a baaad episode I will always remember Kino as the SheepKiller
Dec 22, 2017 6:48 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
When I witnessed the sheep slaughter, the first thing that came to mind is PETA.. :v

7/10 from me. It was good, but I wish the anime showed more of Photo. She was only in one episode.. :(

I guess it's about time I watch the original one from 2003.. >.>
Dec 22, 2017 7:21 PM

Aug 2008
Apparently, ramming into a whole bunch of sheep that weight several hundred pounds will not cause a single dent into your car.

EDIT: I also want to add that the dialogue between Kino and Hermes at the end was dumb. I mean, it was about 5 minutes conversation about sleeping and waking up.

Overall, though, I liked the series (just not this and a few other episodes). Nonetheless, except for the art and OP song, this is unquestionably inferior to the original anime.
guyklcDec 23, 2017 3:22 PM

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Dec 22, 2017 7:45 PM

Dec 2013
Wow what the hell was this episode. I have no idea why they would do something like that after the great episode from last week. They should have moved that episode to this week or ended it there, I think.

I haven't read the source material or watched the original anime, but I was expecting more from this. I see lots of 8's floating around but I think I have to give this a 6/10. Just above average. There were a couple of really good episodes, but everything else paled in comparison.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

137 by milou1050 »»
Apr 14, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

255 by the_v1gor »»
Apr 13, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

103 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Apr 6, 11:51 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

133 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 11, 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.