Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 27, 2017 8:38 PM

Jan 2008
It was a fun watch, nothing to amazing. Enjoyed all the deadpan-like retorts and jabs Vanilla made. Best neko.

The lower budget artwork was definitely noticeable, the outlines of characters was very sharp and kinda bothered me in some shots. Just a nitpick though.

Vanilla and Chocolat getting high off can nip was the great. Nice to see the variety of outfits too.

Would still prefer it had been a hentai.
PaulDec 27, 2017 10:35 PM
Dec 28, 2017 6:10 AM

Oct 2015
Lol t'was okay. I've never played the game/VN before but I could already imagine where hentai scenes are included lmao. So are there normal cats or are all cats in this world like that? XD
Dec 28, 2017 11:36 AM
May 2017
I had a lot of fun with the OVA. Nice story and main male character. Main female characters are cute and sweet on their own ways. Very good art, animation, music and sound effects.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Dec 28, 2017 7:00 PM

May 2010
While seeing my beloved Vanilla and Shigure animated was almost like a dream coming true :3 I still think that it's better to just play the vn first - it has much better artstyle by Sayori, e-mote system that makes movement look way smoother compared to animation from this episode, and you can take your time reading through cute scenes, rather than watch shortened, one hour long version.

Seriously, the animation wasn't OVA's strongest point, I mean it looks like some cheap ecchi or whatever. Just without even one pantyshot to be seen!

Thankfully it did have a few super cute shots of the best neko girl around! <3

Hey, since I already knew the vn, characters and the story, I knew what to expect, and it certainly did deliver :D 6/10
Dec 29, 2017 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
It was fine. Pretty cute and sweet.
What I don't get is how this anime markets these girls as girls us filthy degenerates supposed to fantasize about.
Because it literally shows them getting picked up as kids and taken care of by the MC, who's more like their father.
Dec 29, 2017 1:32 PM

May 2010
NihilisticLoner said:
What I don't get is how this anime markets these girls as girls us filthy degenerates supposed to fantasize about.
Because it literally shows them getting picked up as kids and taken care of by the MC, who's more like their father.

Yeeeah, it gets pretty weird when you think that in the game he fucks basically 9-months olds lol.
Dec 29, 2017 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
Kitsu-nee said:
NihilisticLoner said:

Yeeeah, it gets pretty weird when you think that in the game he fucks basically 9-months olds lol.

Why does he fuck them? Is there any chance he'll fuck them in the anime?
Dec 29, 2017 2:18 PM

May 2010
NihilisticLoner said:
Kitsu-nee said:

Why does he fuck them? Is there any chance he'll fuck them in the anime?

Nah, visual novel is 18+ and it's basically a harem romance, and OVA is clearly all ages, unless they create more in the future. The game is pretty cute though, and h-scenes are "animated" (which means they are kinda like gifs, but hey, still better than nothing), so I recommend checking it out if you want more.
Dec 30, 2017 5:32 AM

Nov 2011
Cute, but I expected better management of the narrative, I await a follow-up though.
Jan 1, 2018 12:17 AM

Jan 2012
I saw so much hate for this on various forums so I was pretty nervous going in, since I wanted it to be really good and do the VNs justice, which I personally believe it did.

Now I'm trying to figure out why there are any haters at all cause this is basically crack for catgirl lovers ie: me.

Jan 1, 2018 8:13 AM

Sep 2014
Vanilla and Chocola's relationship with Kashou is so sweet, almost teared up a bit.
Those chibi are disgustingly adorable HNNNNGGGGGG.
Enjoyed every moment of it and I hope there will be more Neko love in the future <3
Jan 1, 2018 9:50 PM

Mar 2014
Got just what I expected, cute and funny moments with the shitty bell-police drama near the end. Still enjoyed it and had fun watching it.
I just hope that someday Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 get an adaptaion (even Vol. 0 if I can get my hopes high) because I always thought that Vol. 1 was the weakest of the 4 VNs.

6/10.
Jan 3, 2018 1:43 AM

Jun 2013
it was okay i guess i like cats
Jan 3, 2018 8:50 PM

Mar 2013
Thought I won't enjoy It before, but I was quite wrong...
That was a pretty good adaption... Especially the Animation is pretty smooth...

I'm kinda scared with how the universe in the series looks... Catgirls everywhere! wtf...
Jan 5, 2018 4:30 PM

Feb 2013
They seem to have completly forgot about the ecchi part of the games.

But i guess this was okai, It was cuteness overload atleast
Jan 5, 2018 11:40 PM
Mar 2017
Very cute and fun, but there wasn't much to it. Would enjoy more if there is ever anymore to come.
Jan 9, 2018 3:05 PM
Jul 2016
Where to begin? I was so stoked and took some time to calm down while watching it because of all the memories, game dialogues and all kinds of things I could point out that wasn´t shown or said etc. Crazy! It was great to see more substance to the scenes to give the situations more context and fill in the blanks that you don´t see in novels off-screen... And just see the characters and area coming alive. As a loving fan of Nekopara I of course loved it... But as watching an anime in general it felt a little underwhelming tbh.

The animations looked a little cheap and the story felt a bit rushed even for the short novel it was based on with the budget given to them. I do consider the fact that they will bring more news and surprises in the future instead of spending it all on one OVA and I fully support that. It´s not even a thousand of a second a wasted hour watching it. For what it is to the fans it was worth the wait, but as an anime in comparison I gotta be honest and say it felt peeled considering the potential it had even though their assumed reasonsing for it is understandable.

As a Nekopara volume 1 anime - 8/10
As an anime overall - 7/10.

Team Coconut! Appreciate her figure more now despite the lack of jiggle physics LOL.
Damn Chocola were adorable though and chibi-Cinnamon explaining the pollination, her gesture when Vanilla´s tail got stiff like "YOU GOTTA SEE THIS YO!".
If they make a volume 2 & 3 OVA too I might turn religious ;P
Nice try with the cute cop(...s?) btw, but I ain´t forgiving her that easily, cuteness won´t break that wall.
Loved the more refined soundtracks better fit for the OVA. I want those!
And who were the 3 mystery cat girls though? One even had furry legs... Character hints on the already confirmed volume 4 maybe? Maybe that last one anyway was just a random catgirl with owner for the sake of the scene that they are in a bakery that customers actually visit and not being imagined like in the novels haha :P
HilariumosisJan 9, 2018 3:38 PM
Jan 9, 2018 11:53 PM
Sep 2014
OVA was lacking in some ways. It looked nice and all but it left a lot of the VN. I give it 6/10 but I do want more and hopefully, they are better animated. Also, $30 on steam is a HUGE ask. That's almost twice the cost of a movie ticket. If you plan on buying it you should buy the VN instead and buy it only if you want to support them even further.
Jan 11, 2018 10:54 AM
Jul 2018
Animation quality is lower than i expected, but overall it's enjoyable. 8/10.
But i think nekopara is better as TV series.
Jan 15, 2018 8:27 AM

May 2017
People: Vanilla or Chocola?
Me: Coconut

6/10
Jan 17, 2018 4:30 PM

Jan 2018
I couldn't even finish it. It was so damn boring and annoying.
the more you tried, the more you knew, this had been the way they’d built you, in the body of a ball jointed doll, you’re so fragile you can’t move at all
Jan 28, 2018 6:52 PM

Mar 2010
Never played the games, confused about the world setting. Maybe someone who's played it can help me understand a few things...

If all cats are sentient humanoid catgirls, but they are not treated as actual humans and are viewed as animals legally, isn't this entire setup a bizarre form of slavery? Do humans/owners normally treat their cat(girl)s as pets or as humans?

What are the catgirls' lifespans like? How much time passed between the initial found-in-a-box scene and the full grown scenes? At any point in their lives, do they surpass the mental capabilities of an elementary schooler? If they manage to do that, are they allowed full autonomy or are they stuck as some human's property for their entire life? Apparently, unlicensed catgirls get arrested by the police if found roaming around outside. Do the strays get spayed/neutered? Actually, we never saw any catboys, so do males exist that could be neutered?

The cops are nice to look at during their short scene, but their work ethic sucks ass. Not only did they ignore the obvious negotiation tactic of offering the catgirls a ride home in favor of defaulting to a tactic of threats and restraint, once MC showed up all staggering and visibly unwell, they basically tipped their hats and just walked off without a single word of concern or offer of assistance to a human citizen in obvious distress. ~_~;; They did mention they hear similar excuses a lot from other runaways, so maybe they're just suffering from standard police burnout and have a hard time caring? Also.. "runaways" kind of reinforced the slavery vibe I got from this concept...

If there are h-scenes in the games, do the games get tagged with any of the following: lolicon, beastiality, incest/inseki, slavery? Wondering how deeply games like this are looked at when rated/tagged for sale. I saw someone here mention "9mon old", they are legally animals not humans or the box scene would be downright evil, the relationship between humans/catgirls seems basically familial, and there a form of legal ownership involved... Do any of the technicalities of the story actually affect how the games are sold?

Fans, please take no offense. All of the above is asked in genuine curiosity about how something like this gets handled when there are so many obvious ethical questions with the world setting, especially once sex gets involved in the equation. I have no idea how deep the story goes in the games, or how seriously it takes itself, but if there's info then I'd love to hear about it.

I know, I know, "IT"S JUST AN ANIME, WHY SO SERIOUS?" but this is the first time I've seen this particular setup and I like shaking the rust off of my brain cells occasionally. I <3 catgirls btw. There's a world of difference in the worldview setups between Chocola and Eris tho. XD
deadman80Jan 28, 2018 11:11 PM
Jan 30, 2018 2:45 PM

Oct 2009
4/10 The only good thing about the games were the nice H-scenes, take those away and it's bland and generic. This OVA should have been a hentai.
GogettersJan 30, 2018 3:04 PM
Jan 31, 2018 6:03 AM

Feb 2015
Kashou looked better than the girls <.<
so handsome :drools:
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 31, 2018 6:28 AM

Feb 2015
deadman80 said:
If all cats are sentient humanoid catgirls, but they are not treated as actual humans and are viewed as animals legally, isn't this entire setup a bizarre form of slavery? Do humans/owners normally treat their cat(girl)s as pets or as humans?

They're called hybrids so I guess they were created for science reasons, it wasn't explained.
Catgirls can't have baby with a human.
From what I remember while playing the game is that various people threat catgirls differently, some think of them as children, some as partners.

deadman80 said:

What are the catgirls' lifespans like? How much time passed between the initial found-in-a-box scene and the full grown scenes? At any point in their lives, do they surpass the mental capabilities of an elementary schooler? If they manage to do that, are they allowed full autonomy or are they stuck as some human's property for their entire life?

Vanilla and Chocola are 9 month old. Azuki is the oldest know and she's 3 years old.
Catgirls are bound to their masters no matter the age. Having bell gives them a little bit of freedom.

deadman80 said:

Apparently, unlicensed catgirls get arrested by the police if found roaming around outside. Do the strays get spayed/neutered? Actually, we never saw any catboys, so do males exist that could be neutered?

They're taken to police station. That's all I remember but since they're not seen as normal pets I guess that there is center that accepts stray catgirls so they can later be adopted.

deadman80 said:

Actually, we never saw any catboys, so do males exist that could be neutered?

They do, just were never showed so far.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/nekopara-anime-ova/posts/1791893
I guess that just as catgirls they can't reproduce with humans.

deadman80 said:
The cops are nice to look at during their short scene, but their work ethic sucks ass. Not only did they ignore the obvious negotiation tactic of offering the catgirls a ride home in favor of defaulting to a tactic of threats and restraint, once MC showed up all staggering and visibly unwell, they basically tipped their hats and just walked off without a single word of concern or offer of assistance to a human citizen in obvious distress. ~_~;; They did mention they hear similar excuses a lot from other runaways, so maybe they're just suffering from standard police burnout and have a hard time caring? Also.. "runaways" kind of reinforced the slavery vibe I got from this concept...

Stray catgirls cause problems (mainly steal food) and they can't just waste their time checking if whatever one bell-less catgirl is true or not.
Think of it like this: In our world when a child is lost and found by police, they'll take it to police station and try to find its parent. Now replace child with catgirl.

deadman80 said:

If there are h-scenes in the games, do the games get tagged with any of the following: lolicon, beastiality, incest/inseki, slavery? Wondering how deeply games like this are looked at when rated/tagged for sale. I saw someone here mention "9mon old", they are legally animals not humans or the box scene would be downright evil, the relationship between humans/catgirls seems basically familial, and there a form of legal ownership involved... Do any of the technicalities of the story actually affect how the games are sold?

It's not tagged as any of these things on visual novel database, don't know any other sites and since steam doesn't have h-scenes it's hard for me to tell.
Also it can't have incest because Kashou's sister can't be lewded in any of the currently released Volumes.

Catgirls mature in around 1 year so they probably live shorter too. Their mental capability is not the same as humans.
In game it was mentioned that having catgirl as partner is found weird by some people so they're not seen on the same level as humans for sure, atleast not by everyone.
HakaminahJan 31, 2018 6:32 AM
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 31, 2018 10:34 AM

Mar 2010
@Hakaminah: <3 Thank you very much for answering my questions!

I think I've just been in an overly analytical mindset since I'm watching too much sci-fi right now. This is probably a cute story for most people, but it's an absolute nightmare when viewed thru the sci-fi lens. ~_~;;;
Feb 14, 2018 9:51 AM
Dec 2012
I did not expect the art to be this good for a Kickstarter anime. I have always liked the Neko Para series since the first time I have discovered it long time ago. I personally not really fond of cats but Catgirls? Hell yeah!!! Nyanyaanyaaa.
Feb 23, 2018 4:34 PM

Oct 2012
Well, it was okay I guess. Basically mostly just 1:1 carbon copy of the novel, minus ecchi but it was still enjoyable to see this animated to certain degree, at least if you played the game before.

Still the novel is a lot better. The game has its unique appeal in slow pace, careful build-up of moe atmosphere and heartwarming portrayal of all catgirl characters and it's no secret the overall story is just average. That being said, it really felt kinda rushed here, like only the selection of the most important scenes with nothing in between. Really dunno if this would be good enough for anime-only viewers.

6/10 Enjoyable but also bit soulless. If you liked this better play the game instead as it has better pacing, worthy fanservice and about perfect dose of emotions.
Mar 2, 2018 3:14 PM

May 2012
Quite a lovely OVA for a VN actually, quite liked it! While nothing too special, it was enjoyable!
Mar 20, 2018 8:19 AM

Oct 2016
Sooo cute and heartwarming!

I'm really happy to be able to watch it. I wish I could back it in the kickstarter project, if only I had a credit card.

Adapting the visual novel into anime is the best decision. It brings the characters into animated world and retells the story of volume 1 so well. We got to see and hear Minaduki Kashou too!

The only disappointing thing is the absence of Milk, her master and their takoyaki. Also if you watch the OVA without playing the visual novel prior, you might miss some key information, such as why catgirls live together with humans.

Well, I guess you can't get everything you want only in such short duration.

Overall, it's a great adaptation and a great leap for the nekopara series.

deadman80 said:
Never played the games, confused about the world setting. Maybe someone who's played it can help me understand a few things...

What are the catgirls' lifespans like? How much time passed between the initial found-in-a-box scene and the full grown scenes? At any point in their lives, do they surpass the mental capabilities of an elementary schooler? If they manage to do that, are they allowed full autonomy or are they stuck as some human's property for their entire life? Apparently, unlicensed catgirls get arrested by the police if found roaming around outside. Do the strays get spayed/neutered? Actually, we never saw any catboys, so do males exist that could be neutered?

Fans, please take no offense. All of the above is asked in genuine curiosity about how something like this gets handled when there are so many obvious ethical questions with the world setting, especially once sex gets involved in the equation. I have no idea how deep the story goes in the games, or how seriously it takes itself, but if there's info then I'd love to hear about it.

I know, I know, "IT"S JUST AN ANIME, WHY SO SERIOUS?" but this is the first time I've seen this particular setup and I like shaking the rust off of my brain cells occasionally. I <3 catgirls btw. There's a world of difference in the worldview setups between Chocola and Eris tho. XD

Play the game, man. Or at least read the summary somewhere.
flashholterMar 20, 2018 8:25 AM
Mar 20, 2018 8:27 AM

Jan 2018
I got a boner just by going into this thread. Should I seek help?

Anyway, just want to wait for this anime to get a season 2 and binge watch it all.

Edit: Oh it's an OVA. Guess I'll watch it soon.
Mar 20, 2018 8:28 AM

Oct 2016
deadman80 said:
@Hakaminah: <3 Thank you very much for answering my questions!

I think I've just been in an overly analytical mindset since I'm watching too much sci-fi right now. This is probably a cute story for most people, but it's an absolute nightmare when viewed thru the sci-fi lens. ~_~;;;

Haha, I guess there are various lenses to see various things respectively.
May 14, 2018 8:37 PM

Sep 2016
Driver3 said:
I really enjoyed that, pretty much everything I wanted out of a Nekopara OVA. Hoping for more in the future, which I suspect will likely happen.

This is a recap of the Vol.1 thought, they might do a recap of Vol.2 and Vol.3
Aug 12, 2018 3:42 AM

Mar 2010
I hope to see vol.2 and 3 someday :) cause i prefer coconut and maple ^^

Was a fun watch i get why some ppl think its boring or lacks animation.. so i was debatting between a 6 or 7 but since i waant bored i give it a 7

Quite like the adjustments made so it didnt feel like a copy of vol.1 but it was still similar to it ;)

Needs more coconut tho <3 so cute
Sep 11, 2019 7:43 AM

Feb 2011
1. I lost a few brain cells watching this
2. Chocola's voice actor makes me want to end it all
3. This didn't even have a single ecchi scene
4. I'm not sure if I could last an entire season of this
Dec 30, 2019 4:20 AM

Apr 2013
That was pretty cringey, especially the beginning. Got a bit better once they trained for that bell. Animation was average at best. 4/10
Jan 9, 2020 6:57 AM

Oct 2018
nope, nope , nope. can't watch this...
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Jan 20, 2020 3:18 AM

May 2016
I've only played the visual novel until the night Patisserie La Soleil made its grand opening but thanks to that I was able to enjoy the whole OVA a lot more than I would've had I not played the visual novel beforehand. I was expecting them to have takoyaki at the boardwalk and have some fun interaction with the little kitten girl but they went straight for the feels and caught me completely off guard as a result. Very nice.

It's nice to actually see Kashou, Shigure, and the other catgirls for the first time and ChocoVani using their bell privileges to have fun day with their master was a delight to watch. It's touching to see that both sides are willing to go out of their way to help each other but boy are those cops incompetent.

I guess it's time to continue the VN~

Mar 19, 2020 7:42 PM

Nov 2015
Should of watched this in 2017 but oh well, only donated 1 dollar so my name didn't appear in the credits FeelsBadMan. So this was pretty much an adaptation of the first game but shortened down a lot. It was pretty much what i expected it to be, enjoyed it of course. Plus this was my gateway to anime back when i saw some people streaming the VN in 2015.

Katsura janai, Zura da

May 2, 2020 2:11 PM

Jul 2015
Catgirls sure are troublemakers but also pretty handy helpers. I still can't believe how this is based on a 18+ doujin series. Not really up my alley of interests (the loli and catgirls part) but I can see why people might like it, it's pretty cute

May 27, 2020 3:21 AM

Mar 2020
It was reaaaally strange watching characters that I know belong in a hentai VN act all cute and wholesome. If this was anything like it's source material, at least something would have happened... and I wouldn't have watched this in the first place.

I mean, I don't really want to cut this down because it's so inoffensive that it isn't worth getting worked up over. But boy oh boy was this boring. I'm sure the dystopian, parallel universe me who has actually played Nekopara would have gotten a kick or two from this, but as a newcomer to this series, there isn't a whole lot to really grab on to - which is concerning considering that this OVA is trying to have a broad appeal.

On another note, I looked into the Kickstarter behind this and as far as animation goes, it does not look like it cost 963 thousand dollars. I don't know *that* much about animation, but I can tell all the money went into making sure the characters were on model and picturesque, rather than animating them in a way which was dynamic and engaging.

Speaking of characters, the designs were probably the only thing to impress me. That's kind of a back-handed compliment considering they existed before the OVA but whatever, I liked them. If I had to say which was my favorite, I'd probably go with Coconut because she's the only one that doesn't look like she's 12 years old.
Nov 3, 2023 5:04 PM

Dec 2021
Uh... eh. Now to watch the TV series, and see if that's "eh", or if there's something more to see there.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Dec 7, 2023 11:56 PM

Nov 2023
Well this was a meh anime
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» This was supposed to be hentai??

ItzYaBoiSatan - Mar 22, 2018

11 by Yerusalhgf »»
Mar 4, 2021 12:08 AM

» WTF!?!?!?! ( 1 2 )

AX3M - Mar 18, 2017

62 by AX3M »»
Mar 17, 2018 11:43 PM

» Its December...where is it?

-Jefuri- - Dec 4, 2017

13 by LoliMiyuki »»
Dec 22, 2017 3:27 AM

» Nekopara OVA PV

GangsterCat - Jan 20, 2017

22 by MASTERCRAFT938 »»
Oct 22, 2017 2:15 PM

removed-user - Jun 30, 2017

15 by removed-user »»
Oct 16, 2017 12:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.