Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people hate on A-1 Pictures yet they praise Madhouse when it has similar problems?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 21, 2017 10:05 PM

Sep 2009
A-1 has only made garbage and is irredeemable, while Madhouse has at least come up with a few anime that aren't complete trash. A-1 always has something fatally wrong with their take on each anime adaptation they do.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 21, 2017 11:52 PM

Apr 2017
A1 pictures made too many bad shows compared to madhouse.

A1 pics is getting worse and worse.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Dec 22, 2017 12:10 AM

Nov 2014
@Manaban @Dlwuik @velvetPhos @Calal-Chan @Deknijff @Maneki-Mew @leezodne @LofnEdda @EGOIST

Informative stuff. It does seem to confirm that Madhouse in general is slightly ahead for most people.

But it also does confirm the existence of a group of people that puts Madhouse FAR ahead of A1 Pictures, which could explain the difference in hatred A1 gets over Madhouse
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 22, 2017 12:16 AM
Jul 2018
BurningSpirit said:

But it also does confirm the existence of a group of people that puts Madhouse FAR ahead of A1 Pictures, which could explain the difference in hatred A1 gets over Madhouse

If I look at the first site of Madhouse: I still have and want to watch Monster, HunterxHunter, Parasyte, The Tatami Galaxy and Hellsing. Also some others. Could change a lot then. XD
Tho ofc that doesn't make the things I love from A1-Pictures worse.
Dec 22, 2017 12:20 AM

Apr 2016
I don't understand it either, its not like we pay those studious or anything. So what's the deal.
Dec 22, 2017 12:26 AM

Aug 2016
Madhouse has made more better anime than A-1 overall. There shouldn't be a thread asking about it.

EDIT:
We doing the MALGraph thing?

A-1

52 watched, 3.83 Mean, 3.99 Weighted, 193.62 hrs

Madhouse

56 watched, 6.76 Mean, 6.62 Weighted, 367.90 hrs
MechKingKillbotDec 22, 2017 12:31 AM
Dec 22, 2017 12:39 AM

Feb 2016
BurningSpirit said:
If you take a look at Digi, his mean score for A1 pictures is 3.85, which incidentally is also his worst studio by weighted score (221th btw). His mean score for Madhouse is 6.20, ranked 18th by weighted score.

Not to say whether or not I agree with Digi's opinion on either studio, but he does seem to have quite a noticeable preference for Madhouse over A1 in general. Hence his vocal hatred of A1 and not for Madhouse. It just makes sense because he truly feels that way.

His opinion then just rubs off on his fans, who go on hating on it. People are heavily influenced by what they watch after all.

Everyone, do give this a try. Go to MALgraph, see where Madhouse and A1 Pictures stack up for you.
Mine is:
A1 Pictures mean score 5.66.
Madhouse mean score 5.89.
Pretty much similar, and it corresponds quite similarly to what I think of both studios. Madhouse produces stand out shows a little more often, but in general both make mostly tons of anime I'll forget the next season.
A1: 3.3, 4.26 weighted, 20 shows watched, 113 hours total. fairy tail is an 8 the rest is all 5 or lower

Madhouse: 5.71, 5.71 weighted, 78 shows watched, 335 hours total, 2 10s and 8 9s.

the only thing A1 produced that I acually liked is fairy tail, and I don't start most A1 shows because they look like they're gonna be shit, madhouse actually makes a lot of good stuff.

Madhouse ranks #6 weighted,
A1 is dead last
Dec 22, 2017 12:45 AM

Nov 2014
Maneki-Mew said:
If I look at the first site of Madhouse: I still have and want to watch Monster, HunterxHunter, Parasyte, The Tatami Galaxy and Hellsing. Also some others. Could change a lot then. XD
Tho ofc that doesn't make the things I love from A1-Pictures worse.
Yeah, I feel that it is important to make the distinction between "standout anime" which you love and all the other "average anime" when attempting to group anime. It can be grouping by studio, by year, by season or anything really.

MechKingKillbot said:
We doing the MALGraph thing?
Well it was meant to get people to look at their own stats and reflect if what they feel about each studio corresponds to that.

I didn't expect everyone in the thread to start posting their stats here XD

It did bring to light (to me at least) that there seems to be quite a significant group of individuals (like yourself) who favour Madhouse over A1 Pictures. Which also unintentionally /thread this thread :P

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 22, 2017 1:11 AM

Feb 2016
@Burningspirit
Great shows from Madhouse you're missing (IMO): Aoi Bungaku, Black Lagoon, Claymore, Gungrave, Hajime no Ippo, Diamond no Ace, Monster, Nana, Perfect Blue, Texhnolyze (this one's got a fairly specific audience tho), and Trigun.

Madhouse might rise above A1 if you watch them, although there might also be some essential shows A1 fans would say you're missing from A1, but I wouldn't know about that.
SnufkinDec 22, 2017 1:33 AM
Dec 22, 2017 1:51 AM

Nov 2014
@avory
Thanks for the recommendations. Checked them all, definitely putting high priority on getting to Perfect Blue and Aoi Bungaku. Nana I've heard it once or twice, I'll keep that in mind.

For Hajime no Ippo, I've actually not got into a new sports anime in some time. I'm planning to watch the sports anime everyone has been talking about at some point, might get to it then.

As for the rest, I've probably been recommended them multiple times by now (Black Lagoon, Claymore, Monster and Trigun in particular). I've even tried some of them but never got into them. I probably won't be starting any of them quite so soon (I'll reconsider if you or anyone else expands on what sets these anime apart from most other action anime), and I'll put that down somewhat to genre preferences.
Action - 152 additions on MAL, 1049.45 hours, mean score 5.24 and ranked 37th by weighted score (2nd last genre, and yes below harem)
But idk, maybe I've just seen the shitty ones.

I can't seem to sit through many "Western" setting anime too, many praised as "classics" by the international anime watchers which never made it in Japan.

My MAL Interview
Dec 22, 2017 2:15 AM

Feb 2016
Claymore is fairly normal for an action show, it just does well what action shows are supposed to do well, nothing extraordinaty.
Black lagoon has a certain sadness
that keeps resurfacing throughout the show, it does character depth, change and development really well (although some arcs are pretty silly) and has a fantastic dub which I would recommend more than the sub.

But if you're not interested you're not interested, not much I can do about it, people wouldn't be able to convince me to watch a bunch of isekai or idol shows either.
Dec 22, 2017 2:32 AM

Nov 2012
S-quare22 said:
A1 pictures made too many bad shows compared to madhouse.

A1 pics is getting worse and worse.

Not really, their recent slice of life anime have been pretty good.
Dec 22, 2017 2:52 AM

Apr 2013
Well thinking of Mahouse all it comes to my mind is some good quaility shows (ofc there are bad shows/adaptions in their works).When I think about A-1, all I think is meh. I'm grateful that they've adapted Shinsekai Yori and Magi but that is all. I can't think of anything else that was adapted/made by them and amazed me. I don't hate A-1, but I can't say I like them either.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Dec 22, 2017 2:59 AM

Jul 2016
When people usually talk about hating A-1, it's usually about their business practices more than the shows themselves. A-1's strategy is to pump out anything and everything they can get their hands on every single season, and half the time it all looks cheap and same-y. Yes, other studios do this too (Madhouse included) but A-1 is the only one that does it at such a ridiculous rate
Dec 22, 2017 3:15 AM

Oct 2017
I have no idea why and I don't care anyways. I mean, I like the art style of A-1 Pictures more than Madhouse but the latter produced animation of higher quality. At the end of the day, they're both anime studios with their own share of disappointments and masterpieces. Well, I still haven't watched a ton of the anime they produced so I haven't find any of their anime bad.

MALGraph
Madhouse
3 anime watched
Mean Score: 8.00
Weighted Score: 7.88
Time: 23.58h
A-1 Pictures
10 anime watched
Mean Score: 7.70
Weighted Score: 7.70
Time: 152.80h

I think I prefer A-1 Pictures over Madhouse as it's the studio with the most anime I've seen, though I have yet to watch some anime like Hunter x Hunter. Just a bit of trivia, noticed that Your Lie in April is one place higher in my favorites list than No Game No Life and AnoHana is one place lower than NGNL. Sandwiched...
OVERPOWERED99Dec 22, 2017 3:25 AM
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Dec 22, 2017 3:48 AM

Jul 2016
People hate on A-1 Pictures, probably because A-1 has SAO which is hated by many people. For Madhouse, probably because it has more quality anime than A-1 Pictures.

Actually, I don't hate A-1 Pictures or Madhouse, but I also don't think that those studios are the best studio for me. They have good and bad shows.

If I see my MALGraph, the result is:
Madhouse
41 anime watched
Mean Score: 4.78
Weighted Score: 4.79
Time: 245.83h

A-1 Pictures
17 anime watched
Mean Score: 4.38
Weighted Score: 4.75
Time: 67.07h
Dec 22, 2017 4:23 AM
Aug 2016
Because A-1 Picture is so damn Eromanga-sensei Ao no Exorcist Boku dake ga Inai Machi Sword Art Online.
Dec 22, 2017 5:44 AM

Jul 2013
BurningSpirit said:
@Manaban @Dlwuik @velvetPhos @Calal-Chan @Deknijff @Maneki-Mew @leezodne @LofnEdda @EGOIST

Informative stuff. It does seem to confirm that Madhouse in general is slightly ahead for most people.

I kind of figured that since most people think Madhouse is the second coming. Personally, I find Madhouse to be pretty good honestly but nothing like most people think of them. They produce some great shows, but I honestly think they can be pretty spotty.
Dec 22, 2017 6:28 AM

Feb 2015
A1 made SAO and Fairy Tail, that's already enough to call them the worst studio ever.
Dec 22, 2017 6:32 AM

Apr 2014
I only hate A-1 Pictures when they don't animate ecchi source materials the way they deserve.
Like come on, they do ecchi stuff but don't add what is needed on BluRays to make it different than TV Version and worth buying it.
You know something like remove those bright lights, fog/smoke and most of all add those nipples! Hell they don't looked like a woman without it/them!
Haters always gonna hate.
Dec 22, 2017 6:40 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Rayzer said:
I only hate A-1 Pictures when they don't animate ecchi source materials the way they deserve.
Like come on, they do ecchi stuff but don't add what is needed on BluRays to make it different than TV Version and worth buying it.
You know something like remove those bright lights, fog/smoke and most of all add those nipples! Hell they don't looked like a woman without it/them!

That practice is not exclusive to A-1 in the slightest

Tsugumomo from this year did the same thing for example

It does suck either way though, I agree

Dec 22, 2017 7:01 AM

Apr 2014
Manaban said:
Rayzer said:

That practice is not exclusive to A-1 in the slightest

Tsugumomo from this year did the same thing for example

It does suck either way though, I agree
Say what now? http://fapservice.com/category/tsugumomo/
Even new studios can do that, so why not A-1 Pictures when they are established studio?
Dec 22, 2017 7:01 AM

Sep 2017
Tapertrain said:

I want you to recommend one show from A-1 and tell me why it's good.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar is a great show from A-1. It's isekai, but a bit more realistic fights and some slice of life scenes inbetween.

I don't hate either studio, but Mad House did produce more stuff I like.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Dec 22, 2017 7:06 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Rayzer said:
Even new studios can do that, so why not A-1 Pictures when they are established studio?

If'd you actually read the titles of the articles or the articles themselves you could see where they explicitly state those are cut from the BD, and if you go back and look at the fanservice comps of earlier episodes you'll even find a rant about how they cut some of the better scenes from the manga and went nipple-less on the episode 3 comp I believe

but if you don't want to believe me then here you go

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/6cm9ma/tsugumomo_vol_1_tv_and_bluray_comparisons_release/

Again, I know it sucks, but it's not a practice exclusive to A-1
ManabanDec 22, 2017 7:13 AM

Dec 22, 2017 7:12 AM

Apr 2014
Manaban said:
Rayzer said:

If'd you actually read the titles of the articles or the articles themselves you could see where they explicitly state those are cut from the BD

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/6cm9ma/tsugumomo_vol_1_tv_and_bluray_comparisons_release/

What are you even talking about? I already said it on my first post.
A-1 Pictures never did that on any anime they made for the BD version.
That's why I hate them and they are top of my hate sted studio list for ecchi shows.

EDIT: That's just for "surprise" part, they do it every time on first few episodes to make it exciting.
RayzerDec 22, 2017 7:15 AM
Dec 22, 2017 7:13 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Rayzer said:
Manaban said:

If'd you actually read the titles of the articles or the articles themselves you could see where they explicitly state those are cut from the BD

What are you even talking about? I already said it on my first post.
A-1 Pictures never did it on any anime they made for the BD version.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I thought you were talking about them only having uncensored BD releases and not TV versions, my mistake

Dec 22, 2017 7:22 AM

Apr 2014
@Manaban
Damn it bro, did you really read my post when you quoted it?
I had been watching anime for a long time now, so I know the trend.
Anyway, do you hate A-1 Pictures now like I do? (and maybe like the others)
Dec 22, 2017 7:24 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Rayzer said:
@Manaban
Anyway, do hate hate A1-Pictures now like I do?

I misread it, I thought you were talking about like, only having uncensored BDs and not TV versions, again, my bad there mate

That's definitely total bullshit if they don't uncensor BD releases though, yeah ._. No clue why they wouldn't be able to do that, other studios do so with little to no issue whatsoever

Dec 22, 2017 7:38 AM

Apr 2014
Manaban said:
Rayzer said:
@Manaban
Anyway, do hate hate A1-Pictures now like I do?

I misread it, I thought you were talking about like, only having uncensored BDs and not TV versions, again, my bad there mate

That's definitely total bullshit if they don't uncensor BD releases though, yeah ._. No clue why they wouldn't be able to do that, other studios do so with little to no issue whatsoever
Yeah those shit studio really exist, and they are established too.
Shaft and even (new) MadHouse (I rember Tenjou Tenge got one) don't do it.
But if it's J.C. Staff, TNK, Silver Link, A.C.G.T, Xebec, and the others, expect it to be glorious!
RayzerDec 22, 2017 7:43 AM
Dec 22, 2017 7:43 AM
Jul 2018
All I know is that A-1 Pictures is the lowest studio on my Malgraph, with a weighted score of... 4.87. Ouch.

Madhouse, on the other hand, is in 4th place.

Great, now I sound like a Digibro fan... forget what I just said.
Ao no Exorcist = 10/10. A-1 for life.
Dec 22, 2017 8:04 AM

Oct 2015
Rayzer said:
*Gasp* haven't you seen the SAO movie fresh uncensored asuna nipple yet?
Dec 22, 2017 8:22 AM

Apr 2014
EGOIST said:
*Gasp* haven't you seen the SAO movie fresh uncensored asuna nipple yet?
No mate because it's shit.
I dropped the first anime after the second half.
Still who cares? That's just one and I bet very brief. (like seconds?)

EDIT: Lol 5 seconds? That's the only thing they can give?
I will forgive them for all those years if they do that on Fairy Tail next year.
And has to be a long scene and on a lot of episodes!
Dec 22, 2017 8:35 AM

Dec 2012
Why does it matter when hating both of them are completely unjustified anyway. Why not actually hate a studio that deserves it instead?
KruszerDec 22, 2017 6:29 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 22, 2017 8:37 AM
Aug 2011
Depends on the anime.

Erased, Gate and seven deadly sins I really liked from A-1. But they also made that shitty Phoenix wright anime and Eromanga sensei so they still mess up a lot.

Where as madhouse I got way higher rating, I got 5 anime from them that I gave a 10/10. Only things from them I disliked was the wind named amnesia, X/1999, high school of the dead and that old Final Fantasy OVA.

I may like Digibro but even then I don't really follow his A-1 hate train mentality. As much as he says he doesn't hate the studio just they make anime he doesn't like, I don't think so. I think he does have a hate boner for the studio.
Dec 22, 2017 8:49 AM

Sep 2014
Who knows. I've never understood the fixation the westerners have for Madhouse. It was a solid studio a decade ago, but now it has become one of the less reliable studio in recent years and managed to create some of the worst anime I've ever seen.

On the other hand, although A1 Pictures is a good studio, they mostly choose to adapt from bad source material and I think that's what ruin their reputation. Because overall, A1 Pictures has better animation/artwork than Madhouse which is mostly ugly or too flashy.

On my malgraph:

A1 Pictures is 37th
36 series with 5.69 mean score
Highest rated Shinsekai yori (10)
Lowest rated Ao no Exorcist (3)

Madhouse is 76th
28 series with 5.41 mean score
Highest rated Aoi Bungaku series (9)
Lowest rated Death Parade (1)

Trigger is my lowest rated studio btw with a mean score of 2.80
Dec 22, 2017 8:57 AM

Dec 2015
A1pictures has ruined too many adaptations. It's not a problem if original anime is bad, but not when they ruin an existing story
Dec 22, 2017 9:07 AM

Sep 2014
Rayzer said:
Hrybami said:
On my malgraph:

A1 Pictures is 37th
Lowest rated Ao no Exorcist (3)

Madhouse is 76th
Lowest rated Death Parade (1)
What the? That's too low. You got problems bro.
You must be one of those first few episode droppers.

I don't hate Blue Exorcist I just found it extremely boring and not to my taste. But Death Parade is one of the exceptional anime which I genuinely regret watching. I really wish I would have dropped it sooner so I wouldn't be stuck with the psychological scar that the anime gave me.
Dec 22, 2017 9:21 AM

Apr 2014
Hrybami said:
I don't hate Blue Exorcist I just found it extremely boring and not to my taste. But Death Parade is one of the exceptional anime which I genuinely regret watching. I really wish I would have dropped it sooner so I wouldn't be stuck with the psychological scar that the anime gave me.

Damn, I thought I deleted it quickly.

Yeah, I can understand Blue Exorcist I got the same on the last season.
But Death Parade man? Was it too much for you that you can't handle it.
Or you just hate it? It was ended in a very nice way though.
Dec 22, 2017 9:33 AM

Sep 2015
A1 Pictures

Shows seen : 24
Mean Score : 4.54 / 10

Madhouse

Shows seen : 25
Mean score : 6.60 / 10

The stats speak for themselves for my personal experience.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Dec 22, 2017 9:39 AM

Feb 2016
A1 lows: 1s: shinsekai yori and perfect insider (dropped first ep)
2s: erased, brotherhood FF XV, eromanga (dropped ep 1), sora no woto, oreshura (dropped ep 1)
out of 20 shows

Madhouse lows 1s: zetsuai 1989
2s: Ani kuri15, twilight of the dark master, prince of stride (dropped ep 2), master keaton (3 ep rule achieved), HxH 2011 (94 eps in and watching), Highlander and Chaos;head (dropped midway).
out of 78 shows

For me madhouse has a 10% absolutely terrible output, A1 a 30%.
Dec 22, 2017 9:41 AM

Sep 2014
Rayzer said:
Hrybami said:

lol i didn't notice that you deleted it I instantly looked up to the thread when the notification appeared.

Yes, there's too much for me to handle in Death Parade. Everything about this anime is obnoxious to me. But what bugged me the most was how they treat human life and how they justify their cases. I find the system to be completely unjustified and without any equity. All the system is unbalanced and full of problems. I don't doubt that the ending is nice, but I couldn't get pass the first half and I think I already had enough of this.
Dec 22, 2017 9:48 AM

Feb 2016
Hrybami said:
Rayzer said:

lol i didn't notice that you deleted it I instantly looked up to the thread when the notification appeared.

Yes, there's too much for me to handle in Death Parade. Everything about this anime is obnoxious to me. But what bugged me the most was how they treat human life and how they justify their cases. I find the system to be completely unjustified and without any equity. All the system is unbalanced and full of problems. I don't doubt that the ending is nice, but I couldn't get pass the first half and I think I already had enough of this.
It's not gonna get better, everybody is bad at their job, they also manage to work in some weird stuff about very emotional characters being emotionless and Decim being revolutionary for having emotions, while all the other arbiters we see have way, way more emotions.
Dec 22, 2017 9:55 AM
Jul 2016
funny how the title is suggesting madhouse can do any wrong they could literally draw a line moving across the screen for 12 episodes and Ill watch it and jerk off like I do to any other madhouse production
Dec 22, 2017 9:58 AM

Apr 2014
@Hrybami
Lol, the synopsis/plot and genre already tells it's bad news yet you still watched it.
Before you pick something, look at those two first.
Dec 22, 2017 10:02 AM

Oct 2013
Hrybami said:
I don't doubt that the ending is nice
nah the ending is awful
its rather inconsistent along with the show itself and has no real pay off
Dec 22, 2017 10:12 AM

Sep 2014
Rayzer said:
@Hrybami
Lol, the synopsis/plot and genre already tells it's bad news yet you still watched it.
Before you pick something, look at those two first.

You made a misconception. I don't mind a show promoting profanity at all. I only mind when a show glorify existentialism despite resorting to unbalanced means. And it's not really the only thing I dislike about this anime.
Dec 22, 2017 10:13 AM

Mar 2016
Dec 22, 2017 10:17 AM

Apr 2017
4 Madhouse 24 6.48 6.35 212.17h
88 A-1 Pictures 32 3.03 3.10 255.02h

A1 makes less good anime than Madhouse did back in the day
not many A1 shows were enjoyable to watch at any point, and Madhouse only started declining recently
Madhouse has more personality and passion shown in their work. Madhouse is much less hit or miss. Madhouse doesn't give every character the same face. Madhouse has better music on average (A1 only really has good music when they bring on Yuki Kajiura), Madhouse has made some spectacular shows, while A1 has made a few decent ones at their best.

This is all personal opinion, but these beliefs are far from unfounded
Dec 22, 2017 10:35 AM

Aug 2013
I don't hate A1. They have many good series. Unfortunately, it's hard to find good anime produced by Madhouse, at least for me.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 22, 2017 10:37 AM

Jun 2016
I' m honestly not a fan of both studios.

Both have made a few series that I've enjoyed, but a lot of anime that I watched from them have been a horrible experience.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

30 by luckyrune »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

64 by alshu »»
12 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

61 by alshu »»
14 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

17 by alshu »»
19 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

26 by LeonhartAugust »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.