Forum Settings
Forums
Dec 21, 2017 3:21 PM
I'm just wondering why main characters seem so weak when they fight people who aren't strong. 1 example would be bleach episode 170 when ichigo fights an assasin, he seems to be strugling a bit and he almost got cut but we've seen that ichigo is stronger than even byakuga, but if byakuga was there that battle would have ended in almost a second. In the soul society arc ichigo defeated 3 vice-captains instantly with only his fists so the assasin must have been atleast over vice-captain level and if that was the case he'd be more popular. It just doesn't make sense, most main characters are able to defeat really strong people but when they try to defeat people that the enemy defeats easily the fight is usually almost even.

Dec 21, 2017 3:23 PM

Bleach is a bad example to mention because it has no consistency when it comes to character strength.

Generally in shonen, the first time the character show-case his strength, he's at its strongest.
Afterward it'd be tone down to not break the power level of new enemies..

Dec 21, 2017 3:24 PM

Well for one thing, bleach specifically was terrible about that. It knocked fis power back regularly it seemed like. In cases like that, it is a bandaid solution for shounen power creep

Dec 21, 2017 3:24 PM

I mean the primary problem is you're pulling an example from a filler episode/arc especially a filler from a Pierrot adaptation who are kind of infamous for not having the best fillers.

Dec 21, 2017 3:25 PM
Peacemaker

That episode was part of an arc which was not canon. But in other examples, it is because power scaling is nonsense in nearly all anime, and it all depends on the plot.
Why watch beach episodes when you can watch bleach episodes?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Dec 21, 2017 3:25 PM

Of course. We need development to make the MC better (or worse). I kinda like weak MC then later becomes stronger.

Dec 21, 2017 3:26 PM

it's a filler episode, so they don't have to care about stupid shit like power levels
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher

Dec 21, 2017 3:29 PM
Ventus_S said:
Bleach is a bad example to mention because is has no consistency when it comes to character strength.

Generally the first time the character show-case his strength, he's at its strongest.
Afterward it'd be tone down to not break the power level of new enemies..

I agree with him using a mainstream anime is a bad example there are Main characters who aren't weak in any fights I their episode it's just shounen jump animes that mostly make their main characters weak
Bitches love cannons

Dec 21, 2017 3:40 PM

It's like in Pokemon.
How can Ash's Pikachu defeat a Darkrai and a Latios yet lose to a starter Snively?

In the end, it comes down to plot progression. Even the most ridiculous OP characters need some sort of moment where they are losing/struggling
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Dec 21, 2017 3:59 PM

Inconsistency m8 it happens to give fake tension.
Ero Pattishie, how was the night?
Did you like the sister sandwich for dinner?
Or perhaps it was too sweet,
that you want more vanilla in the morning.
I'll put extra cream just for you.
Now it eat well, we still have more desserts.

Dec 21, 2017 5:49 PM

Perhaps it is you who is the one that is weak. Before you judge others, you need to look introspectively for your own insecurities, and see how this informs the way you perceive the actions of others.

Dec 21, 2017 10:50 PM
Shoegum said:
Perhaps it is you who is the one that is weak. Before you judge others, you need to look introspectively for your own insecurities, and see how this informs the way you perceive the actions of others.

Listen to this man OP, for he knows what's up with the human psyche.

Dec 22, 2017 12:22 AM

Because that's how battle shounens works.

Dec 22, 2017 12:28 AM

Because the anime you're watching are shit, that's why.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.

Dec 22, 2017 12:34 AM

No wonder why a depressing autistic 14 yr old c*nt stated to suffer on a severe gladial dysfunction after fapping
Modified by -HippySnob-, Dec 23, 2017 1:11 AM

--FUN-- things die if they eat dog food ----

Dec 22, 2017 4:27 AM

Isn't that how battle shounen anime work?

Dec 22, 2017 4:35 AM

pgmhecateii said:
That's the point of the anime...

Also, Bleach is the worst when it comes to power levels so choose a different anime.

Seven Deadly Sin is about the same after 10 Commandments are introduced.

At least Seven Deadly Sin combat is more creative/ exciting/ fun to watch, but seriously don't take the power level seriously or you'd have a headache.

PS: Oh wait, anime hasn't get to 10 Commandment yet?
Duh, no wonder people praised highly of it.

Dec 22, 2017 4:40 AM

pgmhecateii said:
Ventus_S said:

Seven Deadly Sin is about the same after 10 Commandments are introduced.

At least Seven Deadly Sin combat is more creative/ exciting/ fun to watch, but seriously don't take the power level seriously or you'd have a headache.

PS: Oh wait, anime hasn't get to 10 Commandment yet?
Duh, no wonder people praised highly of it.

I loved the first season (gave it 9/10), so I think I'll still like the 2nd season if they're gonna adapt that 10 Commandments part. If not, I'll just watch it for Ban >///<

Well, the fight are still good to watch and the characters are great, but the power creep is real and you'd see alot of inconsistency in terms of power level when it comes to certain fights and certain characters.

Well, if you're used to this kind of stuffs in Naruto/ Bleach, then you wont have too much problem with it.
Turn your brain off and enjoy.
Modified by Ventus_S, Dec 22, 2017 4:44 AM

Dec 22, 2017 4:50 AM

*Looked at OP's profile page*

That smells like a bait.

Play Eternal, the best digital card game ever

Dec 22, 2017 5:05 AM
It seems like you have only watched alot of shounen. In shounen there are tupicaly a neverendibg powerscaling. The mc is forst weak, then op, then weak in the next arc, then op. And so it goes on, characters surpasses gods like its nothing, yet there are always someone way stronger than them that you just never heard of. Its to keep the supense in the story, imagine of supersayin was the absolute strongest form in dbz, nobody would care by the cell arc then because goku had already achived absoulute power. Thats why they just keep making new enemies that at the start trahs the mc so hard he/she almost dies.
Watch MKNR if you dont like weak mc, by god is it flipped

Dec 22, 2017 5:07 AM
</overrated>

Because the power scale in shonen is a joke. The end.

Dec 22, 2017 12:39 PM

Main characters need to be weak at the start so the can overcome adversity and their weaknesses and triumph in the end, it would make their victory more dramatic.