Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Dec 28, 2017 7:40 PM
I'd like to give you a decent answer, but the inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.

One minute I am cruising through FMA:B, the next I am gobbling up as much Teekyuu as I can handle before my mind explodes. I just click on something.

The only time I take something seriously is when I am recommended something by multiple sources.

Dec 28, 2017 7:48 PM
Fujoshit

ladamesansmerci said:
I just go with whatever tickles my fancy. And by that, I mean I aggressively research anime for an hour before narrowing my choices down, and eventually settle on something that isn't even on my 130 anime long PTW.

^ Omg this is so me X'D

But. What I usually do, and what can also be a suggestion for you, is I pick a genre I am currently in the mood for and watch all the anime I feel like watching within that genre until I pretty much burn out and get into the mood for another genre. For example, for about a couple months back I was way into slice of life, so I binge-watched pretty much Natsume Yuujinchou season 5 and 6, and stuff like New Game, Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, Hitorijime, Amaama to Inazuma, etc.

Or, if I finished an anime I really, REALLY loved, I tend to search for an anime made in a similar style. Not necessarily genre, but in terms of execution. For example, when I finished Madoka Magica I looked for magical girl anime that was of a similar style to it (not going to spoil anything in case you haven't watched it); when I finished Kill la Kill, I looked for anime that are very similar to it, etc.

Otherwise, look at people's favorites and try to see why they like it so much. That's pretty much part of what I did. I also asked around, asked my friends, asked them to tell me one anime they really loved and recommend it to me. That's pretty much how Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon and Kill la Kill got into my favorites list, tbh. And by talking to people and asking them to give suggestions, you discover anime that you probably wouldn't have watched on your own. Those 2 anime aforementioned, for example, never really appealed to me when I read their synopsis. But they soon became 2 of my favorites because I gave them a chance due to people praising them so highly.

Dec 28, 2017 7:51 PM
I just go to the top rated anime’s or top tv series, movies, or ova

Dec 28, 2017 8:10 PM

I just use a random number generator to choose an anime out of the many in my PTW. It's like a anime roulette. But most likely you'll probably get garbage.

Feb 13, 2018 5:50 AM

i usually know what genre i'm interested in atm, so i pick something from that genre.

Feb 13, 2018 5:52 AM

Just look around endlessly until you find a show that you wanna watch.

That's what I do.

Feb 13, 2018 9:41 AM

TheRenegader said:
I add a bunch of shows that look interesting to my watch list and then let the hand of fate known as Random.org choose mine destiny.
Is there a site that does this but specifically for one's MAL? And has options like "only pull from PTW" vs. "pull from PTW and On Hold"?

I mean, random.org can also be used for that, sure, but yeah.

Feb 13, 2018 9:42 AM

From episode 1 to last episode as everyone does
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 13, 2018 9:46 AM
I watch colorful, flashy, lighthearted and relatively "simple" shows in summer.

More serious, deep, dark, highly substantial, highly mature, etc, shows in winter.

Spring and autumm are toss-ups, but spring is closer to summer and autumm to winter, obviously.

Feb 13, 2018 9:57 AM

Glenfinnan said:
I watch colorful, flashy, lighthearted and relatively "simple" shows in summer.

More serious, deep, dark, highly substantial, highly mature, etc, shows in winter.

Spring and autumm are toss-ups, but spring is closer to summer and autumm to winter, obviously.
Ooh, this is an interesting idea.

Not sure whether I'd ever do this, but I kinda do this based on time of day actually. Since what I watch is based on my mood.

Feb 13, 2018 11:07 AM

GlennMagusHarvey said:
TheRenegader said:
I add a bunch of shows that look interesting to my watch list and then let the hand of fate known as Random.org choose mine destiny.
Is there a site that does this but specifically for one's MAL? And has options like "only pull from PTW" vs. "pull from PTW and On Hold"?

I mean, random.org can also be used for that, sure, but yeah.

Yeah, spin.moe lets you do that, although you can't choose more than one section of your list at the same time.

Feb 13, 2018 11:40 AM
I have long ago realized that spending more than a few minutes on that decision is counterproductive and frustrating in the long-term because you waste a lot of time. So I just pick whatever. Seasonals usually take priority since I don't want to fall behind, but if I'm caught up with those it can be anything. There's usually a few long-running shows that I'm currently watching, which I often choose when there is nothing else in particular that I want to watch right now. If I can't make up my mind, I throw on an episode of something I'm watching (often a long-runner or episodic show) and hope that I'll make up my mind by the end of that ep.

But in general I just made up my mind that I'd rather watch something than think about what I could watch so when I feel indecisiveness, I jsut throw on one of my go-to shows (long-runners and episodic stuff) in that situation and stop thinking about it too hard. Eventually something will tickle my fancy and if that happens I'll go for it, but until then there's always seasonals to catch up with, some long-runner to make progress on or some shorts to watch. In my experience thinking doesn't help make a decision, it's more of a mood thing and instead of over-intellectualizing it I just go with how I feel, and if I don't feel like anything in particular I just continue watching something I've started in the past.
Modified by Pullman, Feb 13, 2018 3:08 PM

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Feb 13, 2018 11:45 AM
Previously, I tried to mix in fun stuff, with serious stuff. Bad stuff with good stuff - basically to enjoy the good stuff more.
But my anime knowledge pretty much comes from a couple of friends and searching through forums/youtube channels etc. So even before starting anime, I have a pretty good idea whether or not I will like the anime. So from there it's quite easy to choose, it is just dependent on what mood I am in. For instance watching an anime like Shigurui is very hard for me at least, if I don't sweeten it up with watching some comedy next to it once in a while, because it is so dark and dead-serious that you need to lighten up once in a while.

Feb 13, 2018 1:48 PM

Watch the ones that your friends are talking about. Then explore the world of anime on your own to find shows that interest you. (Watch One Punch Man, it's a great show for starters)

Feb 13, 2018 1:51 PM

Whatever chatches my attention, a video such as like a trailer, AMV or a friend do give me a hit to watch this or that. Sometimes I stumble over a character who looks interesting and maybe the whole anime turns out to be.

Feb 13, 2018 1:53 PM

OmegaSwampert said:
I don't really go by any specific order. I just watch what comes to mind at the time.

But that's not really helpful, so I'll give a few suggestions on what you could possibly do.

3. Check the "recommendations" section on the pages of shows you enjoyed.
I use this method a lot, helps you find shows similar to what you have already liked and helps you figure out what you do and dont like about particular genres/tropes

Pages (2) « 1 [2]