Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 18, 2017 1:43 PM

Feb 2008
While Yamazaki's story had a more serious tone, it truly ended in a heart-warming manner. It was almost bewitching.

The Kawamoto family's raid to the sweet store was utterly charming as well. I am at a loss whether to envy or dread the ability of female Kawamotos to devour sweets... Regardless, it made the heart-warming episode even sweeter.
Dec 18, 2017 4:03 PM

Mar 2015
Hina and Ray I was mad about how slow they are being at the beginning of the first season but now I got sucked into their pace.
I am so loving this show. I respect Raychan so much for what he did. Soooo cute all of them
Dec 19, 2017 6:21 AM

Oct 2008
based on the previous episode, why does it feel like Junkei Yamazaki is seem like a villain against Nikaidou & Kiriyama...whereas this episode, you feel like you want to root Junkei because we saw a bit of his perspective in terms of his everyday life...
But we've seen Nikaidou's willpower is far greater than Junkei!
Also, good thing his Silver (name of the pigeon) came back to him!
2nd part was great and fun as well because Kiriyama treated Gramps, Momo, Akari, & Hina! All of the food it was on him of course! congratz Rookie King!
5/5.

Dec 19, 2017 11:53 AM

Dec 2017
Great Episode - Loved it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2017 4:05 AM

Sep 2009
nicoyaasawa said:
any chances Rei and Hina might end up together or is it just me who has been feeling a connection between them lately?

Taking into account current state of things in manga,
Dec 21, 2017 12:30 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode! I love how this show can really make me love the side characters. Pigeon racing, really?! That's so unique XD Plus the first half really showed Junkei's struggle with the game and how seeing Nikaidou and Rei sort of inspired him. Second half was great too, oh my gosh that dessert looks delicious!!! I have fallen victim to the cycle of delicious food and dessert and getting too full to move ... I understand T_T However seeing Rei help Hina recover for her trip was great as well. Oh man, is Rei going to play Souya?! That's gonna be great to see :O
Dec 22, 2017 2:12 AM

Oct 2015
the care put into writing the each character's emotions made me love the show even more! I find this show to be really relatable and inspirational at the same time 5/5!
Dec 23, 2017 3:40 AM

Feb 2014
Salvation comes in a way, nobody expects it to. Even though Junkei worked his way on and got swept by the times, he still moved on after he found his salvation. And damn that Nikaidou's smile in the face of despair was chilling!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 23, 2017 5:39 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The Jumpei questions, in off, was hilarious too!!
Dec 24, 2017 7:29 PM

Apr 2015
First half was good, got to know him well
Second half was sweet
Dec 29, 2017 4:47 AM

Jul 2008
Idon't feel anything for Junkei...he stretched out the match to put him in the hospital.
Dec 31, 2017 3:59 PM

Apr 2015
Amai!
Shoppai!
Amai!
Shoppai!

...Been there.
Jan 8, 2018 4:35 AM

Dec 2014
well back story of minor characters is awesome...but the bit about Rei and hina is so awesome...enjoying it to the fullest
Jan 17, 2018 2:33 PM

Oct 2015
That was a weird back story of Junkei, about his fears, love for pigeons ,shogi, his desire to win and admiration for Nikaidou and Rei. I like his scary looking face and hidden sensitive awkward side( especially when Gin came back).

Great ep with a deeper meaning and acknowledging your opponents determination
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 28, 2018 8:08 PM

Dec 2015
Damn you Shaft, my opinion of Tsujii just did a 180 with this episode. Do you make sympathetic characters grow on trees or what??!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 9, 2018 9:36 PM

May 2012
While the first part was a story about someone we totally don't know and also got no relations with it was still nice for a chance. But the real good part about this episode came afterwards with Rei and Hina!

Really lovely scene and I am so glad with such an ending for this episode. Looking forwards to see what the next episode has to offer.
Aug 15, 2018 3:53 AM

Mar 2015
Yet another great episode!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 6, 2018 6:05 PM

Apr 2015
It's obvious at this point that Rei and Hina are perfect for each other, and I'm glad Rei is able to make her smile outside of school, but something needs to be done about the horde of bitches at the school they were making her trip miserable as she sat all alone before Rei came along.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 5, 2018 3:40 AM

Mar 2018
This show. I wish I could hug it. Wonderful episode. The story about Junkei was so sweet and he is a genuinely nice person. How he left some hydrangeas at the hospital and his anguish after losing his favourite dove and then there were Rei and Hina. So precious.
Mar 29, 2019 3:13 PM
Apr 2018
Awww, man, this is the best episode in my opinion. Despite how short Junkei's appearance in the show is, his backstory was really solid; it sucks that he dragged the match vs Nikaido though; he really seemed like a cool guy.

And the sisters!! It made me so happy seeing them happily eating to their hearts content. The scene with Rei and Hina was the best one: at the end, those two with Momo looked like a couple. 10/10
Apr 1, 2019 1:18 PM

Feb 2013
Junkei is a cool guy, I can't hate that type of character.
So sweet, Rei is getting better and better and making them feel safe and happy, those sweets were also yum.
Apr 17, 2019 6:17 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Both parts were stellar on their own.
Amazing episode in both getting your mood down, to then lift it up BIG.
Jun 19, 2019 2:41 PM

Sep 2017
I was surprised that we got the perspective of Junkei for the first half of the episode. It turned an unrelatable side character into a real human being with an understandable and realistic perspective on life. I enjoyed his opinion on the "If you believe, your dream will come true" catchphrase. It added a ton of depth to his character. I only saw his "friends" asking him those questions once and got annoyed. I imagine as a shogi player he gets those a lot. Shogi and pigeons are an odd mix, that's for sure. The symbolism of him diving to discover new depths to shogi was really interesting, as was his fear of Kiriyama and Nikaidou surpassing him. I guess this solidifies that he wanted to, from the start, play a game of stamina to take advantage of Nikaidou's ailment. Silver returning was super heartwarming.

Rei telling them they could get any toppings they want is a recipe for disaster. I guess he has to spend his money that he was going to use for Hina somewhere though. I think Akari and Hina went a bit too overboard... Akari and Hina blaming Rei and Someji for their sweet tooths was funny. Hina smiling after all that she has been through made me happy. I really do believe think Rei saved her this time.
Oct 4, 2019 3:22 PM

Jul 2015
Interesting to see Junkei's perspective and how Rei and Nikaidou brought his passion back due to their strong will

I bet Rei spent all his whole prize money on those sweets

Oct 17, 2019 6:36 PM

Sep 2018
Hina is so lucky to have Rei <3 and also Rei, to have the three sisters who cares of him too.
Nov 15, 2019 3:47 AM

Oct 2018
Really nice episode, loved to see Hina finally happy :D
Dec 29, 2019 8:50 PM

Jun 2017
I smiled throughout both parts of this episode, it was sweet and calm :)
Apr 20, 2020 6:44 AM

Oct 2014
The random focus on Junkei this episode was really refreshing and lovely ;w; aah
Jun 27, 2020 11:52 PM

Oct 2016
Did not expect any focus on Junkei but holy shit i really liked his backstory.

And aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh Hina looked so fluffy with her hair down.
Aug 20, 2020 4:26 PM

Jul 2016
Aw Hina is adorable when her hair isn't tied.
Aug 28, 2020 10:57 AM
Jun 2015
I felt goosebumps (again) while watching Gin returning to its home. (second time watching the series)

And, I know there are many who ship Hina and Rei, I don't know if it really is true in the manga, but somehow I like to think of Rei as a brother to the Kawamoto sisters <3
Sep 7, 2020 8:11 AM

Jul 2020
The reunion of Yamazaki and his pigeon Silver was a touching moment, this goes to show how good the storytelling is in this anime. They even gave a glimpse of the other character’s perspective and story.
Sep 17, 2020 1:59 PM

May 2018
Junkei's pigeon is also top waifu haha

I also really liked Hina's perspective of the situation :)
Nov 18, 2020 11:48 AM
May 2019
SakuraAme said:
I felt goosebumps (again) while watching Gin returning to its home. (second time watching the series)

And, I know there are many who ship Hina and Rei, I don't know if it really is true in the manga, but somehow I like to think of Rei as a brother to the Kawamoto sisters <3
I had these two shipped a long time ago. As I looked in Wikipedia, when she started high school (same school as Rei), they started dating. IMO, I think this solidified her feelings for Rei after seeing that he came to Kyoto for her.

Hina also looked so beautiful with her hair down. We keep seeing her in twintails.
sbyrstall2Nov 18, 2020 11:51 AM
Which one do you want? An Addiction or A Good Life?
A) Addiction - a progressive narrowing of the things that bring you pleasure.
B) A Good Life - a progressive expansion of the things that bring you pleasure and includes pleasure through motivation and hard work.
Mar 17, 2021 7:48 PM

Jul 2020
The first half was so good, I'm glad Gin came back.
Mar 26, 2021 11:30 AM

Mar 2018
Didn't know I needed a hair down & glasses Hinata in my life until now

Silver Wings was probably one of the best written chapters of this season so far. Felt very reminiscent of Ping Pong the Animation writing wise mixed with Dragon's look within Junkei.
Mar 30, 2021 1:25 PM

Aug 2018
Why this totally under 26 guy from the final even drinks with those guys anyway?.. Well.. Maybe he is friends with them.. Until they get drunk.. And then they become uninteresting to them.. Something like this?.. I can understand something like that, I guess.. Drinking makes people the worst after all, really..
Jan 7, 2022 3:57 PM
Nov 2020
Can we take a moment to recognize how badass Nikaido is? Even when Junkei was unfairly targeting his illness by forcing the draw, the bamf looks at him in the eye and smiles. And not a sly keikaku dori smile, but an honest good game smile.
Jan 8, 2022 5:07 PM
Dec 2019
Ranxomare said:
Himawari9 said:

Dirty? In a game about tactic , no tactic is dirty.

Sorry, but it was a dirty tactic...i understand that is a game, and all the professional games you have to take advantage of weakness of the enemy, but this type of victory was without honour, because if not remember bad, Jumpei won this rookie tournament 4 consecutive times, then with more reason for win cleanly, because this only show that this man is stuck in a well observing the light that never he will can touch!!

I disagree. Nikaidou would have been insulted with his opponent than less the everything they possible could to win which why Nikaidou smiled before he collapse.....Nikaidou knew from Jumpie expression "you can only beat this way." This episode made me love Nikaidou as a truly special character....he's amazingly strong too strong for his body.
Jan 8, 2022 5:51 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Septeus7 said:
"you can only beat this way."
No, it was more like, Junkei played that way because that way had the most chances of leading to Nikaidou's defeat. Nikaidou smiled maybe because he acknowledged what Junkei did.

Tbh, what Junkei did was definitely not wrong, the bald dude has my full respect. You should do whatever you can to win and I don't see what is wrong with that, of course, without braking rules.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Oct 11, 2022 5:37 PM

May 2022
Definitely concerning about Nikaidou. I am hoping for the best, but the way this season is going it seems like we could see a very tragic ending for his character as it is progressing currently.
Dec 11, 2022 1:52 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
First half succeeds in making you feel for a character whom we just met in the last episode (I mean the pigeon which he thought was long-lost returned to him, come on man. But more importantly, even when playing dirty in a sense, he still has silent respect for Kiriyama and Nikaido), and then the second half just makes you feel all good and warm and fuzzy inside.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 12, 2023 4:41 PM

Dec 2022
I'm glad Rei is taking that position to help the sisters, the situation is reversed compare to s1. He is the assertive one now.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 3-gatsu no Lion is getting a season 3 ( 1 2 )

ranzer - May 26, 2020

68 by Gaurxv »»
Apr 22, 4:56 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.