Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 12, 2017 2:33 AM

Dec 2017
Honestly i dont know why people hate some mainstream anime. all in my head is they try to be cool for not watching mainstream anime aka Edgy. theres nothing wrong in watching mainstream anime. here what anime i think people try to avoid just for make they look " high anime taste "

1. Sword art online (8/10 4 me ) ; sure sure , this is the most hated anime in the community i think. sure there are many " boy " watch it and overrated it. but that not a reason to hate this anime. just watch it as a normal anime. be honest this anime is pretty good if compared with other anime out there. i give u 3 example

2. Attack on titan ( 7/10 4 me ) ; yo dude, another mainstream anime that received huge hate. idk why so. its pretty good , the character, the plot.

3. Tokyo ghoul ( 7/10 for first season ) ; yes i dont like it, but i can admit it actually pretty good. the art. the plot.,

what i think rn is :
1. Popular anime always hated
2. The one who hate it is elitist ( 50% ) , or just really hate it ( 50% )
3. It's just that some people like watching intellectually stimulating anime but they want to show it off so they hate on shows to show people how mainstream anime isn't up to their mark
4. they have low self esteem.|

am i wrong ? do you guys have another explanation ?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 12, 2017 2:36 AM

Jun 2014
Not everybody who hates those anime hates them because they are popular. With that being said, hating popular anime is a phase. Somre really stupid phase newer anime fans go through when they first start branching out into more obscure titles.
Dec 12, 2017 2:36 AM

Feb 2017
You dropped fullmetal there is nothing to say
Dec 12, 2017 2:38 AM

Dec 2017
NickRyuzaki said:
You dropped fullmetal there is nothing to say
the reason is i forget what episode im at and i havent try to find it

Dec 12, 2017 2:39 AM
Aug 2017
Its only in some forum sites, it doesnt mean ppl hate popular anime
Just a piece of cake of anime fans, most anime fans only watch anime and never do things like Discussion in forum
I dunno what they Hate from popular anime either, so i cant give good argument
Dec 12, 2017 2:39 AM

Apr 2012
The problem with popular anime isn't really the anime per se, it's the fact that it attracts a fanbase of beginners that think "dude epik, best animu eva" and try to shove it down your throat while they cannot even see the obvious flaws -- for example SAO's LN writing is terrible and it reflects in the anime, SNK manga's art is pathetic compared to some other, and the writing is kind of repetitive (and inspired from Sidonia).

To sum it up, popularity cannot be rationnally explained, so of course something unnatural will breed resistance.
EratiKDec 12, 2017 2:43 AM
Dec 12, 2017 2:41 AM

Jul 2014
EratiK said:
The problem with popular anime isn't really the anime per se, it's the fact that it attracts a fanbase of beginners that think "dude epik, best animu eva" and try to shove it down your throat while they cannot even see the obvious flaws -- for example SAO's LN writing is terrible and it reflects in the anime, SNK manga's art is pathetic compared to some other, and the writing is kind of repetitive (and inspired from Sidonia).

This is the best answer you'll get imho. This is what I feel a lot.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno

May 2015
popularity has nothing to do with dropped lists....

my point is, can those shows prove their worth with all that hype?

and keep my eyes open until the end (12,25,50 eps)

Jun 2014
EratiK said:
The problem with popular anime isn't really the anime per se, it's the fact that it attracts a fanbase of beginners that think "dude epik, best animu eva" and try to shove it down your throat and cannot even see the obvious flaws -- for example SAO's LN writing is terrible and it reflects in the anime, SNK manga's art is pathetic compared to some other, and the writing is kind of repetitive (and inspired from Sidonia).
Those people probably make up the majority of anime fans. Watchmojo top 10s are proof enough. I don't think people should hate them for the fans though.

Feb 2013
wow such low ratings for these popular anime

why do you hate them so much to lower their rating? :<
Dec 12, 2017 2:44 AM
Aug 2017
EratiK said:
i admit that SAO LN is written in terrible way and SnK manga's art is terrible
But most ppl only watch the anime and never read manga and LN so its not their fault to say that they Hate that popular anime
Dec 12, 2017 2:46 AM

Jun 2014
perfAlien said:
EratiK said:
But most ppl only watch the anime and never read manga and LN so its not their fault to say that they Hate that popular anime
Most fans of anything dont give a frick anyway.

They are normal casual fans who see anime as a side hobby and get excited over their few shows. Not sure why so many fans need to blast them.
Dec 12, 2017 2:47 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
It is not just anime. Disneys frozen was well received and universally liked until it got too popular and then everyone just started hated on it.

I don't know the exact reason why popular things are hated, but it might be that the more popular it is, the more number of people who hate everything will voice their opinions of it and that starts a chain of people hating it or saying they do to be popular. Either that or they don't want to be known as liking something popular just because it is popular and makes them feel like they don't have a unique taste. So they hate on it, which is pretty ironic since now that everyone does it, their taste still isn't unique. Or it is because if a show is not perfect but constantly praised, others will bash on it to counteract the positive claim it got.

Of course there isn't a single answer, but put simply, it is definitely seen as a sign of good taste to hate popular things, and that is the crux of the problem.
Dec 12, 2017 2:50 AM
Aug 2017
Kagami said:
perfAlien said:

They are normal casual fans who see anime as a side hobby and get excited over their few shows. Not sure why so many fans need to blast them.
envy ? Maybe popular anime has huge base of fans so they feela jealous (?)
In first place they are just a plastic fans
Dec 12, 2017 2:54 AM

Dec 2016
Another possible reason would be that people who don't like a show may feel that there are better shows that they or others could watch. By vocalising their displeasure, they could be trying to direct others towards more obscure shows that they feel do the same things the popular shows do but better.
I have no taste.
Dec 12, 2017 2:54 AM

Jun 2014
perfAlien said:
Kagami said:

Its just, too many hardcore fans blast casual fans.

I say we let them have their few shows and let them get excited. I don't fit in with most of them and can't relate to casual fans. Ive talked to some and most are definitely inexperienced like most anime fans are, but I choose to let them be.

We are the weird ones. Though, weird isn't bad.
Dec 12, 2017 2:55 AM

Oct 2015
Maybe, just maybe, they don't actually like it because they thought it isn't good? What you listed has been argued upon for their flaws, specially SAO and Tokyo Ghoul.

@Aslt m8, another threads targeted on us ;-;

And this actually fits here.

-Lofn-Dec 12, 2017 2:58 AM

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Dec 12, 2017 2:55 AM

Nov 2014
Most people just want to be noticed online and having comments that lean heavily to one side gets more attention.

Saying you gave a 5/10 to must anime wouldn't trigger any form of reaction out of most people. But "OMG <insert anime here> is the WORST PIECE OF TRASH ever!! Anyone who likes this have SHIT taste! 1/10" would.

Alarice said:
1. Sword art online (8/10 4 me ) ; sure sure , this is the most hated anime in the community i think. sure there are many " boy " watch it and overrated it. but that not a reason to hate this anime. just watch it as a normal anime. be honest this anime is pretty good if compared with other anime out there. i give u 3 example

2. Attack on titan ( 7/10 4 me ) ; yo dude, another mainstream anime that received huge hate. idk why so. its pretty good , the character, the plot.

3. Tokyo ghoul ( 7/10 for first season ) ; yes i dont like it, but i can admit it actually pretty good. the art. the plot.,
Perhaps time to reevaluate your rating scale. From your description of them, sounds like the kind of description I'd give to anime I'd rate a 6. "Pretty good" is how I'd describe anime that are fine to watch but doesn't stand out in any way.
BurningSpiritDec 12, 2017 3:03 AM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 12, 2017 2:57 AM

Mar 2015
popular series simply has popular haterbase, as simple as that... the problem if people generelize popular series...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 12, 2017 3:01 AM
Aug 2017
Kagami said:
perfAlien said:

I say we let them have their few shows and let them get excited. I don't fit in with most of them and can't relate to casual fans. Ive talked to some and most are definitely inexperienced like most anime fand are, but I choose to let them be.

we are not weird just different in taste, but remember before we become hardcore fans we are casual fans right?
I dont really care about ppl who hate popular anime, Ita just what they have in mind with their poor knowledge of anime
Its pointless to argue with ppl who has different degree of knowledge
Dec 12, 2017 3:04 AM

Jun 2014
perfAlien said:
Kagami said:

I say we let them have their few shows and let them get excited. I don't fit in with most of them and can't relate to casual fans. Ive talked to some and most are definitely inexperienced like most anime fand are, but I choose to let them be.

we are not weird just different in taste, but remember before we become hardcore fans we are casual fans right?
I dont really care about ppl who hate popular anime, Ita just what they have in mind with their poor knowledge of anime

I really don't think most casual fans cross the bridge into hardcore fans or slow down after 50 or so anime. Some do though.
Dec 12, 2017 3:08 AM

Feb 2016
Alarice said:
2. The one who hate it is elitist ( 50% )

ZOLANTON said:
3. Hipsters / Elitism

oh mu god dis evil elitists dunt like poplar amine
llorandoDec 12, 2017 5:36 AM
Dec 12, 2017 3:14 AM
Feb 2016
I'm a Free-Thinking individual who isn't brainwashed by POPULAR c o n s e n s u s.
Dec 12, 2017 3:15 AM

Oct 2013
EratiK said:

To sum it up, popularity cannot be rationnally explained, so of course something unnatural will breed resistance.

Get your facts straight do some research, sidonia came out two to three month before snk, highly unlikely Isayama even knew of its obscure existance at that time, and even if it does and author need a lot more time than 3 month to create a story in the first place.

But all of that is irrelevant, if u had done some research you would know that there was a chapter 0 of attack on titan that came out back in 2006 and you would already know what inspired the series, muv luv.

Please do some research next time.
Dec 12, 2017 3:16 AM
Aug 2017
Kagami said:
perfAlien said:

I really don't think most casual fans cross the bridge into hardcore fans or slow down after 50 or so anime. Some do though.
they can pass it easily if they meets a or few series that they watch it heartily, maybe ?
Dec 12, 2017 3:17 AM

Sep 2017
Hmmm....If a beginner watch anime, they always look for popular ones and rate in higher. If not, they will rate low.
Dec 12, 2017 3:23 AM

Apr 2012
keragamming said:
Get your facts straight do some research, sidonia came out two to three month before snk, highly unlikely Isayama even knew of its obscure existance at that time, and even if it does and author need a lot more time than 3 month to create a story in the first place.

But all of that is irrelevant, if u had done some research you would know that there was a chapter 0 of attack on titan that came out back in 2006 and you would already know what inspired the series, muv luv.

Please do some research next time.
I thought Isayama said so in an interview. Might remember wrong though. Or was it a Nihei interview? Idk. At any rate thanks for the correction.
Dec 12, 2017 3:25 AM

Jan 2017
Shoegum said:
I'm a Free-Thinking individual who isn't brainwashed by POPULAR c o n s e n s u s.

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there
Dec 12, 2017 3:26 AM
Feb 2014
Oh I can give lots of reasons why that happens. Some of which

1. People mistake or can't understand the difference between favourite and best.

There is no best anime out there objectively speaking. The ratings may show e.g. Kimi no Nawa but it just happens that it has received the best analogy of most views/highest ratings. It will still have some haters that will believe e.g. FMA Brotherhood is the best anime out there and they will try to passionately (i dont understand why) convince everyone that their choice of anime is the best.

2. Backlashing

If someone tells me X anime is the best of all time just cause, of course I am going to say ''NO. Y anime is better''. Humans don't like to be told what to do/believe by nature and the Internet has become a good way to bring this on surface.

3. Hipsters / Elitism

One of the most annoying categories. Mostly long time anime fans that have watched many series and have discovered some hidden gems and they act all high and mighty when new fans have found something they love. Their anime experience makes them act like arrogant pricks ''Hmm, I am going to give Gintama 4/10. It's ok I guess, but it is so cringy omg. How can this be in top 10. Secrets of a closet otaku (made this up) is much better but you need to have watched many anime to properly appreciate it. Attack on Titan? Overhyped af. 1/10 because there is no 0 available''.
Dec 12, 2017 3:56 AM

Mar 2015
Shoegum said:

bitch, you has lot of popular titles under your favorite belt...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 12, 2017 4:10 AM

May 2017
I don't think that it's necessary for popular anime to have a higher score and first of all anything above 7.5 is quite a good score and there will always be people who will hate a show how good it may be that's because not everyone has same taste and opinion and finally there r those 1-5% of people who simply want to watch the world burn .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2017 4:11 AM

Nov 2009
Maybe because people get annoyed at constantly hearing about anime X being the greatest and to see the weeb-ness of some grown up people. Fans act like it is the best thing ever and others might get a little jealous that anime X received so much love since there are far better anime out there and that anime X receives too much attention but isn't anything mindblowing. I just think people get irritated of hearing how awesome something is. They are fed up and want to 'destroy' it.
SNK, for example. It is not mindblowing (yet, fufu), it is not the greatest animU ever, but majority of people fell in love with it. That's what matters. It means there is something in there that grabbed people's hearts, whatever it might be in the first place. And others just got fed-up about hearing how great it is. I don't consider it the greatest or the best. Certainly, it is not. But it's one of the best story and characters and plot out there. Something rare to see/read today. Well thought out plot and characters. There isn't an extreme character development. It is subtle, it is human like.
Dec 12, 2017 4:16 AM

Nov 2016
It's not because an anime is popular. It's because I tend to think some popular anime gets too much praise for what it is
Dec 12, 2017 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't watch the other two, but I truly do dislike Sword Art Online.

Key word is dislike. I started to dislike it before it was cool to hate it.

I was disappointed by how it turned out. There were too many time-skips. It had potential.

The second thing I don't like about it is the incest. Idc if they're cousins. They grew up as siblings. Even if they grew up as cousins I would still not like it. Cousins being in love is incest, and it is gross.
Dec 12, 2017 4:28 AM

Jan 2017
My own opinion is that I don't like people going after anything that's popular. Or well, I don't like doing that but why should I really care what other people do?
So.. like Hetalia or Attack on Titan, they're getting pretty old already and I've only now started watching them because didn't want to hop on the hype train.

Dec 12, 2017 4:31 AM
Aug 2017
Irisumi said:

I was disappointed by how it turned out. There were too many time-skips. It had potential.

The second thing I don't like about it is the incest. Idc if they're cousins. They grew up as siblings. Even if they grew up as cousins I would still not like it. Cousins being in love is incest, and it is gross.
SAO was terribly written so the anime is like that
are u talking about Mahouka in 2nd thing ? Its just wincest anime for some ppl
I just enjoy how Shiba Tatsuya defeat all his enemy
Dec 12, 2017 4:32 AM

Sep 2009
Because they're not good, and people still talk about them.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 12, 2017 4:35 AM
Jul 2018
perfAlien said:
Irisumi said:

Lol, no. I never watched Mahouka. XD

In general, I'm not fond of incest.
Dec 12, 2017 4:40 AM
Aug 2017
Irisumi said:
perfAlien said:

Lol, no. I never watched Mahouka. XD

In general, I'm not fond of incest.
incest just some fantasy for some ppl who doesnt have imouto
maybe u can try to watch Mahouka oe the other incest series like Oreimo, eromanga Sensei
Maybe u'll awaken the siscon tendencies lol
Dec 12, 2017 4:51 AM

Apr 2016
Compared to you I've rated those shows higher. You sure you don't hate popular shows too?

Why do people hate popular anime?
Cause people have their own opinions and some of them can easily identify flaws in popular anime (unlike me who'll never learn).

Or they just want some attention by saying shit like "SAO best animu evah".

You gotta understand that anime fans, casual or hardcore, will love or hate certain anime. And you can't really do anything about it.
Dec 12, 2017 4:54 AM

Apr 2016
Irisumi said:

Wow someone with a good moral compass. Give this man a medal!

Relax man. Incest is wincest in anime. No one cares if they are siblings or cousins.
Dec 12, 2017 5:07 AM

Jun 2010
That's just a case o math.

See, SAO has 1,167,346 Members and is rated 7.69

Youkaiden Nekome Kozou has 250 Members and is rated 7.81

You would expect a show with more viewers to have a higher rating, but the case is that with more viewers you get more haters too.

You don't see lots of Youkaiden Nekome Kozou haters because there aren't a lot of viewers to begin with.
Dec 12, 2017 5:12 AM
Jul 2018
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Irisumi said:

Relax man. Incest is wincest in anime. No one cares if they are siblings or cousins.

I am going to quote a wise man.

Omkar_Nagwade said:

Cause people have their own opinions

I am calm. I think you are the tense one here...
Dec 12, 2017 5:23 AM

Dec 2017
romagia said:

7 is good right ? is it low ? sorry im new in this forum idk. i just read the description 7 stand for good and 8 is very good. i think it's not masterpiece or great either but definitely very good and worth watching
pgmhecateii said:
For me:
SAO (both seasons) 10/10
Tokyo Ghoul 10/10
TG Root A 8/10
SnK: 10/10
SnK S2 9/10

Lol, I don't like popular anime, though. I thought you were going to say things like the usual cliche mainstream shounen stuff. 7 is a pretty low score for popular stuff, actually.
Dec 12, 2017 5:24 AM

Apr 2016
Irisumi said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

I am going to quote a wise man.

Omkar_Nagwade said:

Cause people have their own opinions

I am calm. I think you are the tense one here...

Using my own words against me. Sir, I salute you ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Dec 12, 2017 5:26 AM

Jan 2013
The probably hate them, because they dont't like it when the anime they love, isn't known (or liked) by many!
They may also hate them because they want to pretend they are smart by telling a series flaws and what plot devices were ''stolen'' from older series!
But let's face it... There is not a single anime without its flaws, since there is no writer that is perfect and no anime that is for evryone! In the current era, the ''recycling'' of older ideas has also become something of a ''necessary evil'', so we must accept that too!
People should stop hate the famous anime and rate it low, and start hate the REALLY bad anime, that they were accepted by everyone as bad (like that ''Mars of Destruction'', or even the awfully made ''Mahou Sensou'' for example, xd)!
Dec 12, 2017 5:33 AM

Feb 2013
Alarice said:
romagia said:

7 is good right ? is it low ? sorry im new in this forum idk. i just read the description 7 stand for good and 8 is very good. i think it's not masterpiece or great either but definitely very good and worth watching
it's about the site average; your ratings is lower than site average except sao
Dec 12, 2017 5:41 AM

Aug 2016
That's not how it is, you don't hate a anime just because it is popular.

There is actually a very simple reason why it may seem that way, it's just numbers.

For example ( going to put random numbers)
1 000 000 people watched Attack on Titan
From those 400 000 diden't like it and are complaining about it, 400 000 is still a very high number so it will be noticed.

2000 people watched some obscure anime
800 diden't like it and are complaining about, 800 is a very small number compared to those 400 000 and will be barely noticed.

Keep in mind that this often has nothing to do with if a anime is actually good or not, more people watching means higher chance of people not liking it, resulting in more people complaining about it.
Dec 12, 2017 5:45 AM

Dec 2017
People who hate something tend to be more vocal about it. Plus popular anime will have a higher amount of fans and haters than less popular anime so there is a higher number of people complaining - especially if said haters are interested in a certain niche or whatever. I'm not sure exactly but also sometimes people hate popular things to look hip and cool and try to be different to their peers or whatever.
Dec 12, 2017 5:53 AM

Dec 2017
Just watch Digibro’s explaination of his hate for SAO and you’ll understand why people don’t like it

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

32 by Catalano »»
53 seconds ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 2 hours ago

15 by Silverlight41 »»
1 minute ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 47 minutes ago

7 by Luchipher-Zen »»
2 minutes ago

» Lost anime Saki Sanobashi

neonmist - Nov 22, 2019

44 by Konan_Edogawa_ »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

162 by the_foundation »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.