Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 9, 2017 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yup, Rei promises to win not just for himself but also for his family and Hina.

His opponent Juneki makes an intimidating impression but I think it's the shogi match itself that was entertaining. The moves, inner dialogues, and overall psychology made that match really worth watching.

Also interesting that Rei recalls Nikaidou's words from his past.

A very faithful adaptation as expected. Great stuff.
Dec 9, 2017 10:05 AM

Apr 2016
The feels!

Also its nice to see some actual shogi and stuff, but please more Hina and the situation in her school.
Dec 9, 2017 10:15 AM

Sep 2013
Rei's promise to Hina was super nice. God I hope these two become a couple later. As always, Rei's inner monologues are fascinating. I don't know anything about shogi but it's obvious if anyone plays a game that relies on your intelligence, anger is not the way to play it. Though Rei's "Go to Hell" line was pretty cool for someone like him. Glad that he calmed down and played it smart.

Rei wins and is the Newcomer King! Yes! Good job Rei on keeping your promise and making people proud!

Poor Hina is all alone again. Luckily Rei is super thoughtful and knows her well to find her. That was a super sweet and emotional moment. I'm really glad Rei is there for her. I'm excited for next week cause Rei is there to save the day! Though I'm nervous if something else happened during Hina's trip. Just watching Hina cry in Rei's arms was really sad. Hopefully Rei fixes things and rips the limbs off the bullies.
TehSnawnDec 9, 2017 10:19 AM

Dec 9, 2017 10:19 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode as always.

Rei promising to win was really nice. :)
Lovely monologue about how we as people are always fighting for our own small place in this world.

Loved how in the middle of the game when he was about to show all his anger in his play, he remembered Nikaidou's words and all the other people who's feelings he could never notice and corrected himself. That was beautiful.
Congratulations to Rei for winning the Newcomer tournament.

Really liked how Rei had to think back to where he'd normally be on a school trip and use that in order to figure out where Hina would be.

The final scene was hella emotional. Hina was so happy to see Rei. T.T

Could someone remind me which episode was the one where Nikaidou tells Kiriyama to take more care of his Shogi?
Lelouch0202Dec 9, 2017 10:28 AM
Dec 9, 2017 10:21 AM

Jun 2015
I love it that Rei promises not to win just for himself but for Hina as well. She's not feeling well. The shogi match was entertaining to watch. Rei was trying to show off, but he recalls Nikaidou's words from the past and stops. He's always so quick to focus on himself and felt pathetic. He won and became the Newcomer King. I'm proud of him. The moment with Hina at the end was so heartwarming. She's alone again and Rei knew how to find her. I'm curious what's going to happen during the school trip.
Dec 9, 2017 10:36 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Incredible, what else to say about this?

Rei for sure has a place in my favourite character of all time now, his character development is such a pleasure to watch and so heartwarming.

He knew exactly where to search for Hina since he was in her place before, even though it will hurt him to relive this again, he was more concerned about Hina's well-being than anything else. Not one bit did he think about his win.

Hina was so happy to see him and have Rei's shoulder to cry on. Fuck ;_;
Dec 9, 2017 10:41 AM

Nov 2016
Another brilliant episode.

Rei let his opponent almost get the better of him,but luckily he reminded himself at the words of Nikaidou. Still got to admit,him getting pissed was pretty epic.

Loved the directing in this episode again, especially the part where Rei was looking for Hina. Moments like this always get me all emotional.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 9, 2017 10:46 AM

Nov 2014
The amount of character growth with Rei in the last five episodes has been astonishing, it wasn't all that long ago that he was drowning in depression and his own neurosis and now he's matured into someone who others can rely on, who wants others to rely on him. Even his shogi playing has matured, I doubt we'll see him making a huge mistake like he did with Shimada anytime soon.
Forum Signature
Dec 9, 2017 10:49 AM

Jan 2015
My God, how much better can this stuff get?
So fkn good!
Dec 9, 2017 10:50 AM

Mar 2015
I can't, the anime is now perfect in my eyes.
Dec 9, 2017 10:54 AM
Nov 2016
Man, I just want this bullying arc to end.... It pained me to see Hina crying in the manga, not to mention, I hated those bullies and that damned Homeroom teacher(even after what happened to her)..
The animated version makes me wanna kill whoever hurts Hina.

So, Kiriyama vs Junkei was rather short in the anime....
Dec 9, 2017 10:56 AM

Sep 2017
Chimerared said:
The amount of character growth with Rei in the last five episodes has been astonishing, it wasn't all that long ago that he was drowning in depression and his own neurosis and now he's matured into someone who others can rely on, who wants others to rely on him. Even his shogi playing has matured, I doubt we'll see him making a huge mistake like he did with Shimada anytime soon.

You are absolutely right. Not only that but he has turned into someone very empathetic. The moment that he saw those girls laughing he understood exactly where Hina was, and the guy ran there, no less! That last scene was so touching, he even admitted that he just couldn't think about himself anymore, and by the way he just left to Kyoto you could tell that all that was in his head after winning was Hina.
Dec 9, 2017 11:31 AM

Nov 2008
Phlippy said:
For a second I thought Nikaido may already be on his deathbed. But I don't remember too much about the first season, was it ever mentioned what kind of illness he has exactly? And if it's deadly?

It's never been directly stated in the first season or in the original source. The only lead as to what it might be is the fact that he's based off real life shogi player Satoshi Murayama, who bears a strong resemblance to Nikaidou and also had a chronic childhood disease that plague him throughout his shogi career, nephrotic syndrome/kidney nephrosis, which he did eventually pass away from.
Dec 9, 2017 11:35 AM
Aug 2009
Anyone noticed that she called him Kiryama-kun instead of Rei-chan? Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Kawamoto-ke almost exclusively call him Rei-chan? I'm so confused right now. Anyone have any insight as to why she called him that way? I feel like there is some significance there that I'm failing to understand and it's really bothering me.
Dec 9, 2017 12:25 PM

Jul 2014
Well, that was another wonderful episode, with the best of this show's shogi content and also the best of the emotional content, all in one brilliant package. This second season is starting to get seriously close to 10 out of 10 territory for me, and more episodes like this (as has mostly been the case so far) will see that happen sooner rather than later.
Dec 9, 2017 12:26 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The promise was the best of this episode, although the "Bodoro" situation was nice too!!!
Dec 9, 2017 12:31 PM

Jan 2017
My heart. My heart is pounding so hard, with so much excitement i just can't contain myself. Those last minutes, that scene by the river were just everything; the way he hold her in his arms, his thoughts about only Hina alone, what he is willing to do for her, i'm way too moved.

Seeing Nikaidou after that last episode really gave my heart a time to breathe, i was so worried over my Bodoro <3

Now, the match; the match itself was a journey for Rei, a journey to face his loss, his imperfections, to face himself. I thought it was very beautifully done and that him specially remembering Nikaidou's words and being saved by them was a very nice moment.

As always, incredible episode. The value of friendship.

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Dec 9, 2017 1:10 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode.

Akari makes amazing food.
Congrats Rei on becoming the Newcomer King.

Rei travelling to Kyoto to find Hina just to give her some stomach medicine was awesome.
What a great guy.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Dec 9, 2017 1:14 PM

May 2016
This gotta be the most beautiful episode of this show but not the best one, I don't even care about the tournament anymore after the second but one thing that really stood out was when Kiriyama said: "To Hell with that".

The second part was full of life and indescribable moments, I can't wait to watch the next episode. 10/5
Dec 9, 2017 1:18 PM

Mar 2016
clannadlover said:
Anyone noticed that she called him Kiryama-kun instead of Rei-chan? Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Kawamoto-ke almost exclusively call him Rei-chan? I'm so confused right now. Anyone have any insight as to why she called him that way? I feel like there is some significance there that I'm failing to understand and it's really bothering me.

Rei's status among the Kawamoto family is pretty much that of an adopted cat at the start. He's there because he's cute (what -chan suffix symbolizes), so this change in how she calls him probably means she's not looking at him as essentially ... well, a family pet.

Edit: -kun also signifies an emotional attachment towards a guy, so seems appropriate.
YuriSpacePirateDec 9, 2017 1:22 PM
Dec 9, 2017 1:31 PM
Sep 2015
For a moment when I saw Rei taking off his glasses and crying, I thought that he lost.
Luckily, he won and also went to cheer up Hina.
Great episode 4/5
Dec 9, 2017 2:24 PM

Oct 2012
They are four years apart which is a huge gap for teenagers but somehow it doesn't matter.

I am torn how to view this though... it would be great if Hina and Rei got together romantically in the end but right now in this scene Rei was more like fatherly figure for Hina (and even two other girls desperately need such figure around, that's for sure).

So, having said that, now are they going to have a date in Kyoto the next time? :)
Dec 9, 2017 3:03 PM

Jul 2013
After all the feels of the latest episodes, this one was definetely needed, we still had feels, but this time, due more positive things. The final scene with Hina crying in Rei's arms after all what she has to suffer was very powerful, and a golden brooch to end this episode. Hell, the fact Rei was able to locate Hina due her propension to go to the shore of the rivers when she is sad or upset shows how much he actually cares for her.

The match between Rei and Junkei Yamazaki, even if "short" (relatively), was also well made, especially the part when Rei is imagining his opponent as a pair of two eyes observing him steadily to see the slightest mistake he could commit in the match (the visuals to depict him were also great), to realize (when he was about to throw himself in the heat of the battle without second thoughts, like he did in past occasions) about the other people who have "high hopes" in him and eventually took a way to win the Newcomer's Tournament. Now, he has became the rightful Newcomer King (that scene at the end of the match with Rei removing his glasses was very tricky too).

Is amazing how much Rei has developed compared with his self in season 1, when he was timid and depressive, submissive to Kyouko, considered himself an stranger to the Kawamoto family and avoided them to not cause them troubles, and was impulsive in his style of play (thing who cost him his defeat against Shimada), to became a decided person able to do anything for the ones he loves (even being able to cross frantically another district to give someone precious to him a medicament for a sickness, plus some emotional comfort) and is able to remain collected even when something make his blood boil. Even when all those things came due very grim situations (Hina's bullying episode and Nikaido succumbing to his illness), at the end, even if life is hard, every cloud has a silver lining.

This season has been amazing.
Dec 9, 2017 3:16 PM

Nov 2014
The pain of loneliness is terrible than pain of stomach.
Dec 9, 2017 3:18 PM

Apr 2016
Found myself crying during most of the second half. This anime is so beautiful; it just moves me.
Dec 9, 2017 3:28 PM

Jun 2014
Seeing someone like Rei get mad and say "Go to hell" was unexpected, but it was a really cool moment. I'm happy to see that Rei won against that dude.

I really liked the final scene with Rei finding Hina and comforting her. Can we please stop seeing and hearing her cry, every time it happens I die a little on the inside.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 9, 2017 3:30 PM
Mar 2016
uhmm
after watch San Gatsu no Lion Live Action
San Gatsu no Lion LA > San Gatsu no Lion Anime
(Well at first time i never like SHAFT style)

Finally next Episode Sh*t Bullying Arc will Over
Dec 9, 2017 3:39 PM

Apr 2014
Hamudanu said:
uhmm
after watch San Gatsu no Lion Live Action
San Gatsu no Lion LA > San Gatsu no Lion Anime
(Well at first time i never like SHAFT style)

Finally next Episode Sh*t Bullying Arc will Over
not rly bullying arc will end at chapter 70 so 3 more episodes
Dec 9, 2017 4:06 PM

Jan 2014
Is there a Rei x Hina ship? Hmm... I like how this all ties in together.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 9, 2017 4:48 PM

Jul 2015
When Hina hugged Rei...
Clearly the most heartwarming moment this year.
Unless we gonna see gay couple kissing...

Dec 9, 2017 8:13 PM

Sep 2011
That scene at the end just tugged at my heartstrings, that was so sweet. I do want to shine some praise towards the excellent art direction during that sequence too, the water color aesthetic was beautiful and i love how they muted all the npcs but rei

I'm really surprised at how much this season has turned me around on hina, i thought she was the weakest of the sisters but the show did such an excellent job making me want to root for her to get out of her struggles

Chimerared said:
definetly, Rei is a spectacularly written character and his growth these past few episodes have only added to that to the point where im adding him to my favs now.
JizzyHitlerDec 9, 2017 8:17 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 10, 2017 3:10 AM

Sep 2007
Kiriyama raising flags like a boss

Not gonna lie, I wanted to see him DESTROY Yamazaki in rage, but seeing him cool down and taking the long road was pretty good. He's really grown both as a shogi player and as a person since season 1.
Dec 10, 2017 3:19 AM

Aug 2015
Dec 10, 2017 6:39 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm now thats a pretty well designed meal pretty but also looking delicious. So the newcomers finals will be in Osaka then. Considering her situation at school i don't think Hina will be having much fun on this trip. But not going will also cause her to have regrets as well. Not letting your emotions get the better of you is part of Shogi. Good thing that Rei remembered Nikaido's words and did not make that mistake. Well Rei at least managed to secure victory though. Hmm Shimada the expert on stomach pain what a title. It is good that Rei managed to find Hina despite only having the thinnest of clues though. But to Hina Rei must have been like a Savior to her. A quiet episode but one that advanced Rei's goals while also showing his determination to help Hina as well. Rei's promise to win for his friends though was nice to see.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2017 7:22 AM

Sep 2010
Nikaidou is brilliant
Dec 10, 2017 8:51 AM

May 2017
The more episodes of this show I watch, the more drawn in I am to the beautiful and realistic character of Rei. More people need to watch this show.

This shot made me happy.

Dec 10, 2017 9:11 AM
Jul 2015
Man seeing this animated so spectacularly really hits me in the feels each and every episode, especially in this season. Shaft is doing an amazing job. I've been tearing up throughout this entire season
Dec 10, 2017 10:11 AM
Jan 2017
Phlippy said:
Bakazuki said:

It's never been directly stated in the first season or in the original source. The only lead as to what it might be is the fact that he's based off real life shogi player Satoshi Murayama, who bears a strong resemblance to Nikaidou and also had a chronic childhood disease that plague him throughout his shogi career, nephrotic syndrome/kidney nephrosis, which he did eventually pass away from.

thanks for your answer, now that's really interesting. i guess there are other characters also based on real shogi players?

and i just noticed my original post was supposed to go into the episode 8 thread woops xD

Murayama Satoshi is the main character movie, made in 2016

http://www.thejakartapost.com/amp/life/2016/11/14/japan-actor-gives-his-all-to-play-shogi-master-in-satoshi-.html
Dec 10, 2017 10:12 AM

Feb 2007
Kiriyama has an excellent memory, clearly. Both to remember where Hina was supposed to be at the time, and where she actually would be in her situation.

I just wish this wouldn't give these damn NTR vibes again, especially with the OP this season so much focused on Hina...
Dec 10, 2017 10:40 AM

Mar 2016
Nice to see some shogi stuff this episode. Loved the scene where Rei recalls Nikaido's words from S1 and stopped himself from making a bad move. Happy to see him winning the game and becoming a newcomer champion. Nikaido's smile in the end :')

The part with Hina was really sad. The feels :'(

Loved this episode, as usual. 5/5

Lelouch0202 said:

Could someone remind me which episode was the one where Nikaidou tells Kiriyama to take more care of his Shogi?

Not sure about the episode number but I believe it was the episode where Kiriyama meets Takahashi for the first time and even goes over to the Kawamoto sisters house that very episode.

Dec 10, 2017 11:09 AM

Jun 2017
This was the best episode of the season so far. If there's going to be a mid-season finale, I can only wonder how it will stack up to this one.
Dec 10, 2017 11:25 AM

Dec 2014
Ryunuosuke said:

Lelouch0202 said:

Not sure about the episode number but I believe it was the episode where Kiriyama meets Takahashi for the first time and even goes over to the Kawamoto sisters house that very episode.

Oh that one! Got it! It's episode 7.
Dec 10, 2017 11:49 AM

Feb 2014
The feels train, along with the onion-cutting ninjas driving the train, has struck me right in the heart yet again. This episode was simply amazing once more. =)

Hina looked really reluctant on going on the school trip due to her bullying problems and a stomachache, but she didn't want to have regrets of not going to affect her in the future, so she made the brave statement to Rei and her sisters that she would be going on the Kyoto school trip. Rei's words to her, promising that he would win the finals of the newcomers tournament, put a happy smile on my face.

For the finals itself, Rei's opponent looked intimidating, but Yamazaki was thankfully nice and also relaxed, as the two of them battle away in the virtually empty room. Rei's conflicted emotions almost get the better of him during his match, although when he said the words "Go to hell!" I was surprised, but also understood his frustration as to why he would think of those words.

As the match ended, when Rei lowered his head and had the towel in his face, I thought that he lost the match. When the scene transitioned to Nikaidou in hospital, showing his relief at the result, it then dawned on me that Rei did in fact win the match.

After collecting some stomach medicine from a fellow shogi player, the only thing that came to Rei's mind was Hina, so he made the dash to Kyoto via the Bullet Train and after he encountered the laughter of school girls who go to Hina's school, the puzzle fell into its place as to where Hina would be.

After finding Hina at the river, the waterworks came. Hina's reaction went from surprise, to confusion and as she flung herself into Rei, she cried her poor heart out. I couldn't help but shed tears along with her too. T_T

One thing that others mentioned already was that she called him Kiriyama-kun, not Rei-chan that the rest of her family calls him. It might be a stretch to say this, but I do wonder if she sees him more than just a family friend now? If she hasn't had any romantic feelings for Rei yet, I think that this scene might be the spark that will light the fuse of romance for her with Rei.

Either way, the best show this season continues on without fault. The conclusion to Hina's arc, at this rate, will be a big tearjerker, going by the show's current form right now if I had to guess. =P
Dec 10, 2017 2:00 PM

Feb 2008
A victory, in more ways than one.

Kiriyama managed to avenge his bedridden comrade, a notable feat considering his final opponent. As an added bonus, it also enabled Kiriyama to confront forlorn Hinata with confidence. She really needed a little support.
Dec 10, 2017 2:05 PM

Sep 2016
Once again a amazing episode, SHAFT delivers quality adaptation to a already great source material.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Dec 10, 2017 2:45 PM

May 2015
Hina don't cry. I'm going to cry too. :(
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 10, 2017 3:33 PM
Oct 2017
U1111 said:
clannadlover said:

Rei's status among the Kawamoto family is pretty much that of an adopted cat at the start. He's there because he's cute (what -chan suffix symbolizes), so this change in how she calls him probably means she's not looking at him as essentially ... well, a family pet.

Edit: -kun also signifies an emotional attachment towards a guy, so seems appropriate.

Not really. If you paid attention Hina has been calling him both since the beginning of the anime: even in this episode she called him firstly Kiriyamakun when he said to her that he'd win the tournament and then Reichan in the last scene, going back and forth between Reichan and Kiriyamakun all the time.

And no, -kun does not signifies an emotional attachment towards a guy, you use -chan for that regardless of gender.

The point here is that the Kawamoto sisters see him differently and treat him accordingly so unlike Momo who sees him as an older brother and loves him openly and Akari who sees him as still a child, Hina is not sure herself how much she should rely on him and that is shown when she feels she should hold back, thus calls him Kiriyamakun.

Dec 10, 2017 3:53 PM
Jul 2016
I am just amazed by this anime the art , the sound ,the story and the characters, whenever i say that there is no way that the new episode will be better than the one before , the new episode just breaks my expectations , this is for sure the best anime to come out this year,and by the way that last scene was just so heartwarming
Dec 10, 2017 10:46 PM

Feb 2011
WOW, PERFECT EPISODE: I couldn't stop from crying from the cuteness: I'm so overly touched what Rei went all this way to see Hina: that the time she needs a lot of support and compassion ( their hug scene is so perfect and full of mood: Rei is a perfect match fro Hina: I really hope they will become a couple at one point of the story: I really ship them TOGETHER SO HARDLY!!!! xD
Dec 11, 2017 3:39 AM

Oct 2013
Rei did the best thing ever for Hinata. He appeared in such an important and difficult moment. That's something you don't forget for life!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 3-gatsu no Lion is getting a season 3 ( 1 2 )

ranzer - May 26, 2020

68 by Gaurxv »»
Apr 22, 4:56 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.