Forum Settings
Forums
Battle Angel Alita
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 8, 2017 5:35 PM

Nov 2015

Sigh.... My waifu's eyes look like shit and I don't think any non-ALITA fan would even enjoy this because Alita herself would scare everyone away.

Are they putting that OVA original character in the movie? I hope not.

This will probably bomb like the live action ghost in the shell film and never get a sequel.

Anime when?
(But to be fair it was always the Mangaka 's dream to have this manga adapted into a Hollywood film so at least his dream came true)
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Dec 8, 2017 8:26 PM

Nov 2012
I don't care this shit.

I just want to see another anime adaptation.
Dec 8, 2017 8:49 PM

Mar 2016
Those eyes are creepy. But seriously I hope this film is good. also I can't believe Cameron's been planing to make this since 2000 that's a long ass time.
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Dec 8, 2017 8:55 PM

Jul 2013
Other than Alita looking fucking creepy, this seems pretty decent. I would like it to look more gritty though, it looks too clean for GUNNM.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Dec 8, 2017 10:07 PM
Jan 2013
The manga contains 9 books, while this movie will only cover the first 3. After the success of the original series, Yukito Kishiro wrote a sequel series, titles "Battle Angel Alita: Last Order". This series is still ongoing, and follows the adventures of Alita as she explores her own past and tries to save her friends.

source: imdb
Dec 9, 2017 6:12 AM

Oct 2012
Ghost in the Shell Hollywood manga adapatation fiasco repeats again...

And those eyes are really, really creepy.. she actually looks nice in the manga but she looks as some ugly mutant in this live-action movie.

Probably time to completely disregard the very existence of this movie, that's the best thing we could do to prevent massive disappointment.
Dec 9, 2017 7:22 AM

Nov 2015
Mich666 said:

And those eyes are really, really creepy.. she actually looks nice in the manga but she looks as some ugly mutant in this live-action movie.

Probably time to completely disregard the very existence of this movie, that's the best thing we could do to prevent massive disappointment.

Yeah. Her eyes are not even that big in the more modern chapters of the manga.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Dec 9, 2017 7:57 AM

Jul 2008
mehmehperson said:
Mich666 said:

This isn't an adaptation of Last Order or Mars Chronicles, it's an adaptation of the original manga, and Alita's eyes are definitely big. Look at almost any panel from the first nine volumes.

ToukaDec 9, 2017 8:00 AM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Dec 9, 2017 8:55 AM

Nov 2015
Touka said:
mehmehperson said:

This isn't an adaptation of Last Order or Mars Chronicles, it's an adaptation of the original manga, and Alita's eyes are definitely big. Look at almost any panel from the first nine volumes.

Yeah but there are other characters in the manga with eyes as big as Gally's/Alita's so why only her?
Alita's dad (not really dad)should have a big chin then
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Dec 9, 2017 9:04 AM

Jul 2008
mehmehperson said:
Yeah but there are other characters in the manga with eyes as big as Gally's/Alita's so why only her?

Because she's the main character. I wouldn't be against Ido having a big chin or nose, but they have to draw the line somewhere. I think they've purposely made her look rather uncanny, it'll no doubt emphasize some of the themes within the film. If everybody was full CG with unusual characteristics, it just wouldn't work. Even in the manga, which is jam packed with eccentric people, Alita still stands out.

Also, I found this... Looks stranger with smaller eyes to me.

ToukaDec 9, 2017 11:06 AM
Dec 9, 2017 2:38 PM

Oct 2012
Touka said:
mehmehperson said:

I think they've purposely made her look rather uncanny, it'll no doubt emphasize some of the themes within the film. If everybody was full CG with unusual characteristics, it just wouldn't work. Even in the manga, which is jam packed with eccentric people, Alita still stands out.

Yeah, but judging by comments on youtube, almost noone likes those eyes, be it fans or regular people so it may backfire hard on them (I mean, how can you take the story seriously when you are constantly reminded of this uncanny valley in the first place? It feels way too intrusive to concentrate on anything else). Also, big eyes are basically staple of all the manga and it's really bad choice to keep them when translating the medium as it would look very unnatural. Right now, she looks more like mutant than anything else. Also, it doesn't even make sense world-wise to create her with such big eyes. They could bleach her skin instead if they wanted her too look like a puppet, remember Pris from the original Blade Runner for example.

tl;dr: they shouldn't made her by CG in the first place, it would work a lot better if she was just real actress with makeup.
Dec 9, 2017 3:22 PM

Apr 2015
eyeseyeseyeseyeseyeseyeseyeseyeseyes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2017 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
Touka said:

What's with everybody making excuses for this unnecessary crap? Most female manga characters have big eyes. Can you point to any other live-action adaptations that tried to mimic this? Count on Cameron to shove his shitty CGI down everybody's throats every chance he gets. You can't honestly believe that they were going for authenticity by making her 95% CGI.
I expect it to be a decent movie nonetheless, at least by the looks of the trailer, but this is just excessive.
Dec 10, 2017 3:48 AM

Jul 2008
Mich666 said:
Yeah, but judging by comments on youtube, almost noone likes those eyes, be it fans or regular people so it may backfire hard on them (I mean, how can you take the story seriously when you are constantly reminded of this uncanny valley in the first place? It feels way too intrusive to concentrate on anything else). Also, big eyes are basically staple of all the manga and it's really bad choice to keep them when translating the medium as it would look very unnatural. Right now, she looks more like mutant than anything else. Also, it doesn't even make sense world-wise to create her with such big eyes. They could bleach her skin instead if they wanted her too look like a puppet, remember Pris from the original Blade Runner for example.

tl;dr: they shouldn't made her by CG in the first place, it would work a lot better if she was just real actress with makeup.

On the contrary, if you look at the like to dislike ratio on the trailer, it seems people are generally excited for the movie. Many people are absolutely fine with the them. They're eyes. She's a cyborg. Her entire body is by design. How does it not make sense?

TokiWoKezuru said:
What's with everybody making excuses for this unnecessary crap? Most female manga characters have big eyes. Can you point to any other live-action adaptations that tried to mimic this? Count on Cameron to shove his shitty CGI down everybody's throats every chance he gets. You can't honestly believe that they were going for authenticity by making her 95% CGI. I expect it to be a decent movie nonetheless, at least by the looks of the trailer, but this is just excessive.

If this were an adaptation of a romantic shoujo manga, then I would agree with you. The eyes would stand out because they wouldn't work in the context of the setting, but this is Battle Angel Alita. She does not have human eyes, she is a cyborg, they are designed. I can see where you're coming from as far as the aesthetics and such, and everyone is going to have their opinion on it one way or another, but it makes sense within the setting and for the character. There are ton of unusual things within this world. Zapan is just a head on a metal frame, so why can't Alita have larger eyes?
Dec 10, 2017 4:01 PM

Jun 2012
Nah nah, the eyes are bad in the trailer. In the manga they would make sense with the rest of the characters, in the trailer it just feels out of place.
I think that Cameron is trying to portrait one of her unusual characteristics but he forgot the best of them all, the fucking OCTOPUS LIPS!!! Which are awesome!!! That should be the trait that he should have make it more noticeable not the eyes...

Just hope this is faithful, it's all I ask! First time some competent bigshot dives in manga adaptation. If this goes well more big directors/producers will actually start to make an effort with adaptations.
SnaitaDec 10, 2017 6:45 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gunnm Chapter 11 Discussion

joe_g7 - Sep 14, 2017

5 by mistercb »»
Mar 25, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Battle Angel Alita Chapter 53 Discussion

TuzoAnime - Jan 23, 2010

34 by FedeMetal »»
Dec 13, 2023 7:12 PM

Poll: » Gunnm Chapter 50 Discussion

joe_g7 - Oct 19, 2017

3 by FedeMetal »»
Dec 13, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Gunnm Chapter 49 Discussion

joe_g7 - Oct 19, 2017

2 by FedeMetal »»
Dec 13, 2023 8:09 AM

Poll: » Gunnm Chapter 48 Discussion

Farabeuf - Aug 20, 2016

4 by FedeMetal »»
Dec 12, 2023 7:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.