Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 9, 2017 5:08 AM
Jul 2018
Pixel_Vapour said:
MysteriousHo_Oh1 said:
One examle for me would be Nobou Umetsu's behaviour. He is a series veteran, much like Miyazkai and is a critically acclaimed creator. Yet unlike Miyazaki, you hardly see Umetsu act like an asshole.

Nobuo Uematsu is a composer though.

He still is a respected person in the music in gaming community and I'd argue animating and music composition are equally difficult.
Dec 9, 2017 5:11 AM
Jul 2018
urpoutta said:
MysteriousHo_Oh1 said:

Yeah, people go on about Miyazaki and never give much of a thought to Osamu for his contributions.

You talking about western community here? Because there is a prize named after the man "Tezuka Osamu Cultural prize" and he even won "Noburo Ofuji award" for his short animation Story of a Certain Street Corner. He definitely isn't unknown and some of his manga still get anime adaptations, even live-action. But yes there're many other people who have shaped animanga industry beside Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, but western fans rarely give them any thought either because lack of information or them being old news (see Noburo Ofuji or even Nobuko Yoshiya).

Yasuo Otsuka is also victim to this.
Dec 9, 2017 6:22 AM

Feb 2015
I just find it offensive to the people who pour their life and soul into this medium. Sure, there are a few stinkers, but for every SAO there is a Cowboy Bebop. So what are your thoughts on this?

How does it feel to be Hayao Miyazaki on the internet fam?
Dec 9, 2017 6:28 AM

Apr 2015
"MAL was a mistake, and this thread is an insult to life itself" - Hayao Miyazaki.

That will be what he told you when he read this thread, I suppose.
Dec 9, 2017 6:44 AM

Feb 2016
When you're as successful as him in a given field you get the bragging rights to be a cocky douche bag
Dec 9, 2017 7:35 AM

Oct 2012
I don't think he's being an ass, its not like he's saying that just to piss people off.
Obviously, the industry at this times bothers him very much and he wants ppl
to understand that what we get right now isn't high quality.
He's sayings about otakus and such are obvious because they are the people
who support the current situation in the industry and allow studios to make anime
which 95 out of 100 times is made just to milk money out of those same people.
Dec 9, 2017 7:56 AM
Aug 2016
I've never watched any Miyazaki films before
Dec 9, 2017 8:16 AM
Jul 2018
_Ako_ said:
I just find it offensive to the people who pour their life and soul into this medium. Sure, there are a few stinkers, but for every SAO there is a Cowboy Bebop. So what are your thoughts on this?

How does it feel to be Hayao Miyazaki on the internet fam?

Hahaha, didn't mean to seem offensive bout that. Sorry!
Dec 9, 2017 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
You said:
"MAL was a mistake, and this thread is an insult to life itself" - Hayao Miyazaki.

That will be what he told you when he read this thread, I suppose.

Miyazaki wouldn't even care about my opinion. To him(and a lot of people) I'm a nobody.
Dec 9, 2017 8:55 AM

Mar 2014
Miyazaki is right. People just hate him because he tells the truth
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 9, 2017 10:32 AM

Apr 2015
MysteriousHo_Oh1 said:
but for every SAO there is a Cowboy Bebop.

This analogy doesn't really work since those shows are 14 years apart in age.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 9, 2017 11:49 AM

Nov 2012
SuperRed said:
Qui_Via said:
He's not saying all those salty things because he's arrogant, if that's what you meant.
He's a true artist, he's more like a literary figure at heart. His works have more connection to reality and life rather than just being imaginative, so he's somewhat feeling betrayed to see people in anime industry (and all the creative industries following it) are more and more detached from reality.
Partly that, and also trying to confirm that his artistic idealism/vision is essentially different from what anime is nowadays.
He's just being saddened by the outcomes of the media he pioneered. Must be unbearably disappointing for him too, you know. Not to mention knowing that there's no young talent following his vision. It's like, "oh god, there's no hope for this industry. it actually will stray in the wrong way now."

Fiction imitating reality is the most overrated concept in the history of civilization. Fuck reality.

I would tend to agree. I specifically watch anime and other types of film to escape reality, not relive it. I already get plenty of reality in the other 12+ hours a day that I'm not watching anime, and most of it is either really boring or it's about how Trump is being a moron for the umpteenth time. No thank you. Give me swords, demons, giant robots, and other cool shit instead.

But aspects of film reflecting reality can be enriching, like writing believable characters or social conflicts that draw parallels to our own. These things can make it more relatable. It's just more exciting when you couch this stuff in between dragons breathing fire over armies of defenseless soldiers. That's probably why Game of Thrones is so successful.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Dec 10, 2017 8:36 AM

Feb 2010
When you really care about something you don't want to sugarcoat your opinions about it. Criticism doesn't mean hating on something, on the contrary, you want to improve it because you're passionate about it. It's the people who get salty at him and don't give a fuck, who don't care about anime and the industry.

And it's pretty much a fact that having an incestuous industries where the fans and the creators are largely the same people isn't healthy and iirc that's mostly what he is criticizing. It's like fanfiction suddenly became a million dollar industry. There's just no way that's a good thing in the long-term. Anybody who cares about anime should not want that to be the case and rather prefer more people with different backgrounds entering the industry instead of only having Otaku in there who all have about the same kind of life experiences and skillsets and range of ideas and genres they like to write about.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 10, 2017 10:02 AM

Jun 2011
A lot of old school fans speak of the lack of diversity of modern anime. As far as I can tell, you haven't seen that many anime. But, as much as there is a LOT of anime coming out, they have been treating anime more as a product to be quickly assembled shoveled out with no art or real thought behind it a lot of the times. Many of them simply reference older anime to create this feeling that it is as good as the older work... Sometimes old school fans can feel insulted because sometimes it is so copied that it is pretty annoying when modern fans will straight up say modern anime is better animated when all it has actually going for it is a better resolution and better legal stream support.

Sure, there are some anime which either try to say something (Wondering Son) or try to be genuinely different and off the wall (Samurai Flamenco), but most of them will just be a modernizing of something old even if they are good like Parasyte or a rehash of something that has been done a hundred times since 2006 like Gabriel DropOut. This isn't to say we don't like our battle shonens like HXH or BNHA but.... when I start thinking of an anime which tried to actually have a vision it is always something more like Doukyuusei which has very unique character designs, or something like Welcome to the Space Show which has extreme attention to every detail in it's work.

And when you look at a Miyazaki work, it really has everything going for it. And he has every right to wish that animators would bring in something else special they love other than referencing other anime like Gintama.... or Mirai Niki...
Energetic-NovaDec 10, 2017 10:06 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Dec 10, 2017 11:15 AM

Oct 2017
He is right though, you are just salty he doesn't like your trashy anime
Dec 11, 2017 1:02 AM
Jul 2018
Aardwolf94 said:
He is right though, you are just salty he doesn't like your trashy anime

I think you misunderstood what I said. I just got annoyed because of his grumpy old man and too good for you attitude.
Dec 11, 2017 1:18 AM
Jul 2018
Not to mention, everyone just puts Miyazaki on a platform for acting like a stuck up old man. A lot of people watch anime for the worlds they create and escapism, not only real world issues. Hell, unrealistic anime, I would argue, are more interesting then ones grounded in reality.
removed-userDec 11, 2017 8:28 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

43 by DoisacChopper »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

39 by weebtoge »»
5 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 10 hours ago

36 by KenaiPhoenix »»
14 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

37 by ChrisBlitz »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

93 by PostMahouShoujo »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.