Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 8, 2017 10:49 PM
Jul 2016
MistLiigh said:
For now I'll just have to be cautiously optimistic that they find some way to make Land of Adults next week make up for everything that not being included before this episode caused this version to miss, though I'm not sure how they would even make it work in reverse and I won't get my hopes too high.

They could show Kino's backstory as a flashback and then have her compare her situation with Sakura's. But, that wouldn't be half as emotional as this episode could have been and it wouldn't make much sense either. And thinking that they are going to change things up to fix their mistake is overly optimistic anyways.
Dec 8, 2017 11:30 PM
Sep 2015
So, Suicide Cult Country or Darwin Award Country? I can't decide.

I only feel sorry for the kids / babies who didn't know and didn't have a choice. This doesn't include Sakura who knew everything and still chose to die for nothing like the rest of them.
Dec 9, 2017 12:46 AM

Mar 2015
Arashi89 said:
How can you even call "lighthearted" an episode where everyone gets buried in an eruption? Like lmao the scene is even more graphic than the one in the previous series.
I would not call it graphic because it does not directly show the people burning alive. but it shows what lets the watcher imagine the rest on their own which sometimes has a stronger effect on others.
Dec 9, 2017 1:32 AM

Nov 2009
Ew, the first anime already did that story, so it was a waste of time.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Dec 9, 2017 1:50 AM

May 2016
While this episode was beautifully animated, I don't think the eruption had the same emotional impact that it had in the original series. Perhaps this is because I knew what was coming, but I think that next weeks episode that details Kino's backstory should have aired before this one. That way I could have emphasized with Sakura a bit further as her character is remarkably similar to Kino at her age.
Bondrewd did nothing wrong.
Dec 9, 2017 1:54 AM
Jul 2018
Sakura knew too :'(

the ending was so sad
Dec 9, 2017 2:28 AM
Nov 2014
Berserkerhealer said:
that episode was so unreal. Go be immigrant or make war. What is that just waiting die?

It was already hinted in the episode, during the storytelling part, where no country wanted to take them in
Dec 9, 2017 2:33 AM
Nov 2014
kalinime said:

I only feel sorry for the kids / babies who didn't know and didn't have a choice. This doesn't include Sakura who knew everything and still chose to die for nothing like the rest of them.

you need to get in touch with the real world.

Have you ever read the news, what happened to the Syrian refugees and boat people who tried to pack up and leave? Yes, their babies drowned. That's called "having a choice"
Dec 9, 2017 2:35 AM
Dec 2013
Nice to see another episode of Kino (2003) get remade in the 2017 version, which has so far felt more like a second season despite officially being called a remake (though I understand the stories that are being animated were picked from a poll that asked the fans of the Kino no Tabi light novel what their favourite stories from the light novel were, and the ones that received the most votes were animated in the 2017 adaptation, even if it was already adapted before). Sad that the people wanted to die with the country instead of evacuating it then rebuilding it, while the children were all oblivious that the country was going to be destroyed and they're going to all die from the volcanic eruption. End of the country was like the end of the world for them, I suppose.

Next week, a third episode of Kino (2003) will be remade. Can't wait.
wildhoodDec 10, 2017 2:17 AM
Dec 9, 2017 2:39 AM

Sep 2016
Smudy said:
That fucked me up, i'm speechless. I never expected this to happen.

I was thinking that there must be some kind of twist to the people in this country but this is just heartbreaking.

They were indeed unfriendly people to all travelers and needed an event like this to change (which is honestly sad cause they didn't know any other way how to change IMO).

I knew that they tried very hard to come across as kind (and i think, it was real, not fake, they waited until their last moments for ONE SINGLE traveler to come) when Kino did the cooking and they complimented him.

Shit.
same thoughts same thoughts here that was a great eps indeed, caught me when that volcano went up reminded me of pompeii awe little sakura i just dont know i wish she wouldve stayed alive
Facta Non Verba
Dec 9, 2017 2:54 AM

Aug 2013
I knew that I've watched this episode before, so it's a remastered ver from the old kino episode
still heartbreaking, I only noticed it when the volcano erupts xd
Dec 9, 2017 3:35 AM

Sep 2013
Kindness shall be rewarded and remembered!
Dec 9, 2017 3:39 AM

Sep 2011
"Grieve for us" Nah, I'm good. I don't grieve for idiots.
Dec 9, 2017 5:05 AM
Mar 2017
As I did not see the first season I do not know, but perhaps when Sakura told her about her friends, Kino felt envious of not having Friends?

I think the story of Kino and the encounter with the first Kino is coming, having to wait a week :S , also the birth of Hermes
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Dec 9, 2017 5:10 AM
Jun 2017
One of the best episodes that i have watched in this series and one of the saddest one. I mean while watching it, i am thinking why is the rumors like that when they are so nice and kind to Kino and Hermes.

And the end of the scene... ohh just how sad that is...

*well this one do little reflects about life as when someone knows that s/he will gonna die already they are going to do good things or to say sorry for those who they have conflict with so that they will have a good memories or impression about them when they die already...
Dec 9, 2017 5:18 AM
Apr 2016
I don't believe i watched this episode again.. ughh my heart
Dec 9, 2017 6:29 AM

Oct 2012
Oh no... I remembered this :(
I wonder how Yuuki Aoi felt when she's recording this...
I mean Sakura was her first role..

Anyway, nothing new for me

Interesting how this episode come first before Kino's past
Next ep, it's Kino's past episode
Rayl1ghtDec 9, 2017 6:56 AM
"Signature removed"
Dec 9, 2017 6:32 AM

Jul 2013
Wtf was that episode
Dec 9, 2017 6:56 AM

Jul 2010
koja6049 said:
Berserkerhealer said:
that episode was so unreal. Go be immigrant or make war. What is that just waiting die?

It was already hinted in the episode, during the storytelling part, where no country wanted to take them in

they can always make war instead of die
Dec 9, 2017 9:24 AM

Apr 2015
Decent episode, maybe a bit over-the-top.
Dec 9, 2017 2:05 PM
Nov 2015
Went half way through this episode thinking it was something I've watched before.

The part where Sakura says she wants to inherit the inn is the moment I realise this EP and knew the ending "oh shit" was the only thing I could think lol
Dec 9, 2017 2:44 PM

Feb 2013
I feel like I've seen this before,
... oh, I have.
At least Kino's Journey was about Kino this time.
Dec 9, 2017 3:14 PM
Dec 2015
Man, I loved this episode. This episode is why I love Kino. It was beautiful, full of personality, and yet dark at the same time. The reveal at the end really hit me, felt my eyes welling up.

Dec 9, 2017 6:05 PM
Sep 2015
koja6049 said:
kalinime said:

you need to get in touch with the real world.

Have you ever read the news, what happened to the Syrian refugees and boat people who tried to pack up and leave? Yes, their babies drowned. That's called "having a choice"

Yes, because there were terrorists and enemy troops surrounding this Kind Country and the only way they had of escaping fiery death was trusting smugglers who overpacked them onto shitty boats to travel over the ocean that surely we saw in this episode.
Dec 9, 2017 7:11 PM

May 2008
I like this arc, but in this episode i felt nothing.
compared to the original series, the kino in this anime lack emotion.
try to watch this arc on the original (last episode) you can tell how heartbroken kino is.
Dec 9, 2017 8:16 PM

Sep 2015
as people have said before, it lacks the emotional impact that the 2003 version had. Still one of the best episodes so far, but that's not saying much...
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Dec 9, 2017 8:40 PM

Aug 2015
Looking at next episode's preview...
I wished they switched the episode order around. This episode really has a bigger impact when you have the next one's context.
Dec 9, 2017 9:13 PM

Oct 2015
equal to 2003 version's . Still my favorite country so far ...
Dec 9, 2017 11:28 PM
Jul 2018
I'm going to give a medal to anybody who tries to argue with me that this episode wasn't stupid.
Okay, the brighter visuals were a nice change of pace that matched this episode's tone.
The moral it tries to teach is sweet...
But the execution is beyond stupid.
How stupid can an entire country of people be, to remain in their homeland, even when knowing they're all going to die?
How f*cked up is it that these adults don't even tell their children about it, and the episode treats it like it's a good thing?

@Psyche_Izaya

Actually, Kino seems way more emotional in this series (except for the crying scene being absent).
She constantly smiles, appears in a positive and friendly mood.
In the original series, she rarely showed any facial expressions, which worked better in the anime's favor.

@koja6049

Pardon me, but it disgusts me that you would compare an actual depressing part of reality such as that, with a cartoon that portrays people in a similar situation, but far stupider.
removed-userDec 9, 2017 11:32 PM
Dec 9, 2017 11:39 PM

Jan 2015
These redone episodes of the original makes it painfully obvious how generic, uninspired and directionless this modern adaptation is. It's a disgrace.
Dec 10, 2017 2:00 AM

Feb 2014
Damn what a twist at the end! When the days are numbered, people tend to live to be remembered.

Btw who was than arms mechanic at the shop? One of Master's connections?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 10, 2017 2:57 AM

Aug 2011
nDroae said:
Berserkerhealer said:

Kino in general is like that, the 2003 adaptation more blatantly so than 2017. It seems to be a massive continent with uninhabited fertile land for miles and miles, mere fractions of which are occupied by the little city-states Kino visits. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-state Yet people everywhere act like they have nowhere else to go. It's particularly noticeable in 2003's most horrific episode, which isn't being re-adapted this time.

It's all meant to be symbolic. Some say that aspect worked better with 2003's less realistic art style, and even then, people were asking similar questions. One could say it's a matter of taste in storytelling, but it's also a matter of the viewer's choice, whether to accept that intent or not.

Some books watching Kino brought to mind (whether justifiably or not):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_Rasselas,_Prince_of_Abissinia
The Alchemist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pilgrim%27s_Progress

Ooh, thanks for the recommendations. I already read The Little Prince and it was part of why I loved Kino's Journey - glad to know of names of other similar stuff.
Nostalgia Critic (Doug Walker) made a Facebook post one time talking about how he enjoyed Kino's Journey. Likened it to The Twilight Zone. I felt that the symbolism in the series was like the way parables are told, very fairytale like. If you want a similar anime I strongly recommend you watch Kaiba - similar vibe, also some exploration of thoughts/ideas.
BunnyflowerDec 10, 2017 3:08 AM
Dec 10, 2017 3:33 AM

Jun 2008
So they've remade my least favorite episode from the original, the idea that hundreds of thousands of people willingly accept to kill themselves with their children is just plain retarded.
Dec 10, 2017 7:11 AM

Sep 2007
Hermes: "Makes sense."

Me: OH DOES IT YOU GODDAMN SOULLESS PIECE OF JUNK

This episode, ouch...
Dec 10, 2017 8:11 AM

Jun 2016
Goddamnit. That episode was so depressing. So, apparently this country Kino and Hermes visited were really known for being so cruel or disrespectful towards their travelers (I bet it's her Master who told her about this country being a very bad kuni), not until they got the news that a large-scale pyroclastic flow would hit them. The fact that it's the one that made them changed their personalities and be nice to their travelers, but they gave up that they're going to get travelers just to be nice for at least once because of what they've been doing to their travelers, so nobody's interested to their country, BUT THEN there's Kino and Hermes who arrived as their travelers. And they decided to make Kino and Hermes to have a great stay in their country--which Kino really did for she wanted to stay longer.

This episode is like the representation of what happened to Kino in that country from the last episode which we'll never know what happened to Kino and why she had a great time there in THAT country. Goddamnit.

No wonder Kino feels so special that they welcomed her with warm open arms, and even though I was having a hard time trusting these people with the rumors and I thought they set her up to be killed by that pyroclastic flow, I was so wrong and felt so bad. Kino was their last chance to be good--or great--people and they gave their all. I'm not okay.

Two consecutive depressing episodes. Thanks, show. :/

Btw, I honestly love the animation quality this episode. Ugh. It was so beautiful. The town's scenery was so beautiful. But this episode really broke my heart with that reveal. I hope those people died peacefully with what they did for Kino before they go. If I were Kino, I broke down and cried in the corner. Godfuckingdamnit.

5/5. ;-;

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Dec 10, 2017 8:32 AM

Dec 2014
and hear I thought travelers ridiculed the country because they wanted to safeguard the country or something... pretty nice how they were all content with their fate
Dec 10, 2017 9:51 AM

Apr 2012
So they basically just let all the children die in the country. Hell no, that is not okay! WTF??
Dec 10, 2017 1:15 PM

Jan 2010

It's hard not to compare when this new season recreates episodes already done by the 2003 version. I have my own memories of the first iteration, and through the ways I experienced the 2003 version, I certainly had specific expectations of what to expect. That being said, this is a new studio with a new creative team and vision for how this series should appear. As such, it's really interesting to see A Kind Country placed before A Land of Adults.

This is the episode where, in my head canon, Kino truly solidified her 3 day rule. She had loosely obeyed that personal rule in the past, but this was the one where the rule really stuck to her.

This version of A Kind Country is very bright and colorful, making the country seem warm and welcoming from the very beginning. However, what I liked here was the use of the stage play. One of my favorite things in anime are theatrics, where voice actors are to have their characters also act in universe, making for great opportunities for interesting sets and visuals, particularly if they're metaphorical or allegorical in nature. It wasn't much, but it was certainly a more interesting way to have Kino learn about the country's history, in addition to becoming involved with the country's culture and activities at the same time. Plus, we got to see Kino in an apron, and that's something entirely new.

I will say that the episode did feel a bit rushed towards the end. I'd really, really want to avoid comparing the 2003 version and this version since they're trying to be different things, but one of the most gut-wrenching moments of the 2003 version was a very minor visual element: showing Kino's look of utter horror. It was one of the few moments when Kino's facade of neutrality and aloofness broke and something truly affected her. Though, as an alternative solution to repeating that moment, this 2017 adaptation instead focused more on Aoi Yuuki's voice work, where we could hear Kino's voice really trembling when she was reading Sakura's letter.

It's slightly different, but the portrayal here contrasts a lot. In the earlier adaptation, it focused on the visuals, showing explicitly how much the tragedy affected Kino. Here, it was more audio-focused, letting scenes play out more with a bit more left to the imagination. In fact, now that I think about it, I recall the first series seeming more hostile when Kino wanted to stay longer, while here it seemed more strict as opposed to hostile. If anything, the decisions made in the 2017 version seem to be heavily contrasted on a number of points, which are apparent in specific similar scenes. As such, while they're the same stories, we're getting two different interpretations of them, in addition to the original telling in the light novels. As a result, rather than getting a rehash of any of the two previous versions, this is truly a new adaptation that tries to create its own identity as a more modern retelling of Kino's Journey, sparkly scenery and CGI Kino included.

Now, does that make this episode good? I have no idea, as I have my own vision of what this episode should have played out as, and forcing this adaptation to match my own expectations would just end in misery, as I can't exactly will the anime to behave the way I want it. But, for what we have to work with, it still performs as a nice episodic series with Kino and others visiting various countries, with some countries, such as this one, challenging the characters' persons more than others.

I'm still thinking back to Kino's self-deprecation over being thankful that Sakura didn't come along. In both the 2003 adaptation and the light novel, it was Hermes that stated that, but here, Kino was the one who mentions it, along with the added line of calling herself egotistical. The differences here are so ridiculously subtle, but the changes here places a lot more grief and self-admonishment on Kino's part, which makes contextual sense with the mention of ego. It's used to describe the situation at hand, the country's actions, and Kino's self-reflective thoughts.

I...I think that's actually more effective. That was actually just short of brilliant.
Dec 10, 2017 1:40 PM

May 2010
Didn't have the same impact as the original. They definitely should have put the Country of Adults episode before this.

I saw people saying that the country peoples' decision to die was portrayed as a good thing, but that's not the impression I get. I don't think Kino's Journey is the type of series that says "This is right" or "this is wrong", it lets you make up your mind for yourself.
Dec 10, 2017 11:34 PM

Nov 2014
the only thing lacking here is Kino's expression

To-Do List:

• NOTHING

Dec 10, 2017 11:52 PM

Aug 2011
AldiCrowz said:
the only thing lacking here is Kino's expression

From someone who's a huge fan of the 2003 version, surprisingly I actually like how they did this one - it's different and has different context. 2003 Kino was more stoic, so the emotion she displayed had more impact. For a lot of the 2017 series we've already seen so much emotion out of Kino compared to the 2003. Having her appear more constrained instead (but hearing some emotion in her voice) works better for this version. It emphasizes something different - that while she's still shaken, as a traveller she still has to move forward.
Dec 11, 2017 2:28 AM

Oct 2008
Another beautiful but cruel episode!
Damn this is just too much of a tragedy!
that is why they are weirdly too kind of a country because they already know their fate...
5/5.

Dec 11, 2017 6:22 AM

Sep 2013
I could hear my heart crack. :( this episode was way too sad. Those people could have evacuated. They had a fucking month for christ sake and rebuilt it. ;_;
And hermes aint got no emotions. Goddamn piece of scrap
DrunkWaspDec 11, 2017 6:41 AM
Dec 11, 2017 11:32 AM
Jan 2013
Compared to 2003 adaption, the 2003 was way much better thanxthis adaption for this episode. Because the 2003 adaption made that country as Kino's hometown. So Kino despise this country, but she came back and felt unfair that this country became kind after she left, everything has changed. But later she realized, her home country is about to dissapear that's why they became kind. The 2003 version hurt me the most.
ANIME>Disney
Dec 11, 2017 12:38 PM

Aug 2016
Well, assuming Land of Adults episode were to be the same quality as the 2003 version, prepare the feels guys.. this wasn't as bad as the Coliseum tho still sucks.
Dec 11, 2017 2:07 PM

Aug 2013
This was episode was just heartbreaking. :(

Dec 12, 2017 3:51 AM

May 2017
okay, so if the children didn't know (except Sakura ofc) how come they're all masters of being hospitable all of a sudden coz I doubt you'll be able to do that if you got raised on hating travelers/visitors? Even for the adults who knows what's gonna happen, to suddenly just became masters in being hospitable for Kino to not even notice when the villagers are raised their whole life to hate. Unrealistic BS
Dec 12, 2017 3:58 AM

Aug 2011
coffeeworld said:
Compared to 2003 adaption, the 2003 was way much better thanxthis adaption for this episode. Because the 2003 adaption made that country as Kino's hometown. So Kino despise this country, but she came back and felt unfair that this country became kind after she left, everything has changed. But later she realized, her home country is about to dissapear that's why they became kind. The 2003 version hurt me the most.

Think you're mixing stuff up, even in the 2003 adaptation and the novels this is not Kino's hometown.
Dec 12, 2017 5:22 PM

May 2017
The CGI mixed in is off putting sometimes. I noticed it right away when her and Hermes were looking over the cliff at the new country. It's very strange. Every episode I notice it once or twice whenever she in on Hermes.
Other than that, this episode was awesome. Very happy and sweet. And the ending twist was very gratifying. Reminds me of why I enjoy and love this series so much
Dec 12, 2017 9:27 PM

Mar 2014
Pretty good animation, but that's it for me.
Kino seeing the pyroclastic flow was so inexpressive. I'll never forget Kino's face from the original anime.
And someone mentioned this before, but some of the things that made the original work weren't present in this version.

Btw, is the guy from the gun shop that guy we saw following Shishou on the earlier episodes?
Edit: yup, it's him.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

255 by the_v1gor »»
Apr 13, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

103 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Apr 6, 11:51 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

133 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 11, 12:52 PM

» Which one is better? 2003 or 2017?

SgtBateMan - Sep 13, 2021

9 by Videogamecoper »»
Dec 14, 2023 5:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.