Forum Settings
Forums

Animes that everyone loves but you somehow hated it

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Dec 10, 2017 9:50 AM

Mar 2014
Stein's;Gate is so popular, but I remember not really caring much about the story at all, and the characters being so middling that I didn't really care much about them either.
The presentation of it wasn't great, either... which I suppose is pretty par-for-the-course for VN adaptations.
All I remember is thinking it had some neat ideas that were hampered by middling characters and middling storytelling... making for a supremely middling experience overall.
::End of Transmission::

Dec 11, 2017 1:47 PM
Jul 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Anohana, and Plastic Memories are some I didn't like. I didn't hate them, I was just bored.
Dec 11, 2017 6:39 PM

Dec 2017
Clannad. Don't get me wrong, I love a romance anime, but I was really bored watching it.
Dec 11, 2017 8:11 PM
Jul 2016
Parasyte -the maxim-. Shinichi is so annoying in the late episodes. I mean, seriously, what kind of idiot goes through a flippin' philosophical crisis over whether or not he has a right to defend himself against the monsters that are trying to murder him and countless other people?

I also don't think Death Note, FMA Brotherhood, or Attack on Titan are all they're cracked up to be, but I wouldn't say I hate them. Why don't I think they're that great? Because Death Note eliminated my main reason for watching the show two thirds of the way through (you know what I'm talking about,) FMA Brotherhood had way too many stupid attempts at humor, and Eren Yeager was almost as annoying as Shinichi.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Feb 16, 2018 12:25 PM

Oct 2017
Fate Series although I love Iskandar(Rider), it is one of my favorite characters of all time and it's the only intriguing character in the series. About the show itself it's just boring, nothing happens and when it happens it's because someone is so stupid, that you think you are the smartest person in the world, yeah it look goods and have some good action scene but the rest is just flat, hell even the plot twist is like, really that's the best you had to offer?
Feb 16, 2018 12:37 PM
Jan 2018
All the answer here isn't all unique like I thought it would be, there's alot of anime being repeated, some of them I agree to and some I don't, but I'm gonna say a show that has never been mentioned here once, No Game No Life, the show is meh with rly gud visual, I don't hate it but I'm also not the biggest fan
Feb 16, 2018 2:50 PM

Feb 2017
If these forums are any indication at all there is no anime that everyone loves. Nothings perfect or to everyone's taste and shows of sufficient acclaim will be willfully disliked by some purely to feel contrarian. With that in mind here are some popular and well regarded anime I dislike:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Creepy and pretentious with a dearth of likeable characters.

Black Butler: Also kinda creepy but mostly just boring, plodding and pointless.

Rurouni Kenshin: Boring, incredibly formulaic and insipid.

Psycho Pass: Manufactured "depth" and insufferable characters.

My family the Yamadas, Only Yesterday and Pom Poko: I like Ghibli, I love Miyazaki, I'm not a fan of Takahata. All of these films are boring, all lack focus, none of them are funny and two are preachy and obnoxious.

Oh and I don't think I hate Wolf Children (largely because it's pretty though) but I think that it's really mediocre.
SimeonStylitsesFeb 16, 2018 3:07 PM
Feb 16, 2018 3:19 PM
Apr 2017
SAO
Serial experiments Lain
clannad
Net-juu no Susume
second part of haruhi suzumiya
yuri on ice
Feb 16, 2018 3:30 PM
Feb 2018
Made in Abyss — I don’t hate hate it, but totally don’t get the exitment. I get the animation and soundtrack are gorgeous, but it was so boring. Yes, it got better at the end like everyone’s saying, but I still wasn’t impressed.
Feb 16, 2018 3:42 PM

Jul 2016
I don’t really “hate” these shows, I just wasn’t the biggest fan of them:

-No Game no Life (got really boring at times)
-Humanity has Declined (^, but the Yousei redeemed that in a way)
-Log Horzion (I’m probably one of the few people out there who enjoyed SAO more than Log Horizon; wasn’t my cup of tea)
-1st Season of Magi (2nd>>>1st)
-Noragami (used to really like this show, but as time passes, my opinion changed)
- Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (I’m really picky with SoL or SoL-esque shows that aren’t currently airing, so this is probably just a me thing and not towards the show itself)

There’s a few others, but I’m not going to mention them due to watching 3 or less episodes of them.

Feb 16, 2018 4:37 PM

Nov 2013
Evangelion.
The only good thing it has is the opening song. And I'm absolutely sure that it wouldn't have even 10% of the popularity it has if it didn't have that opening.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Feb 18, 2018 7:14 AM
Dec 2017
Shingeki no Kyojin and Kimi no Na wa. I don’t hate them, but I found them pretty boring. However, the one I truly hate is Lovely Complex. It’s just dumb and stupid and the romance is boring. Even Nisekoi is a lot better.
Feb 18, 2018 7:27 AM

Jan 2014
Roboy Girls Z, I guess.

Most of people who watched it had it scored with an 8 or a 5. For me it was one of the worst I've ever watched, except for the snake puppet girl, she has no fault for being in there.
Cuteness > Everything else
Cuteness is Love, Cuteness is Life
Feb 18, 2018 7:37 AM
Jun 2017
For me Naruto, I tried to watch on Crunchyroll but I dropped it on episode 3 because it was very boring, unlikable characters and the half of the episodes are filler.
Feb 18, 2018 10:47 AM
Dec 2017
Ghost in the Shell, because it isn't as deep, as it tries to be and therefore was a huge disappointment.
Feb 18, 2018 2:14 PM

Mar 2014
My List
- Sword Art Online
- Sailor moon
- Clannad
- Bleach
- Masamune-kun no Revenge
Most of them are boring for me or I can't get over the cheese they give.
Feb 18, 2018 4:27 PM

Oct 2012
Hated Ao no Exorcist. Bored the fucking hell out of me. Hated Haikyuu for the same reason.

Wouldn't say i hate most of these but here's a list of popular shows I was bored by: The Monogatari series, Chihayafuru, Bakuman, Code Geass, Durarara, Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann, One Punch Man and Soul Eater.

Xaelath said:
Chaos head, idk how come people like this kind of MC and nonsense story progression and characters development.

Homie literally no one likes chaos head
Feb 18, 2018 5:39 PM

Sep 2017
i don't hate these but..

Naruto: nothing that epic, just let it die already
Death Note: nice idea who got terribly executed
Code Geass: charles should have his own series
Toradora: tsundere bad behavior turns out "cute"? hell no
SAO: went famous because it's shit
Guilty Crown: so boring, still don't know how i managed to watch this
Noragami: a regular series
Boku no Hero Academia: that one kid who has no power and dreams to become number 1 hero then suddenly boom, the strongest character. unoriginal premise i'm sorry.

Feb 18, 2018 6:17 PM

Jun 2009
There are quite a few: Angel Beats!, Another, ReLIFE, Kuroshitsuji, 91 Days, Mirai Nikki, Ao no Exorcist, Akame ga Kill, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, Danganronpa, K, Shiki, Zetsuen no Tempest, Ano Natsu de Matteru and Elfen Lied.

I dont really "hate" them. It takes too much energy to actively "hate on something. It's more that I disike them.

I just don't like "edgy" shit that is all surface, no substance. Just because it has a lot of gore and violence it's not "mature" if the characters themselves are immature and nonsensical. Or melodramas that try to squeeze tears out of you (though I liked melodramas like Clannad: After Story and Shigatsu).
Feb 18, 2018 6:19 PM
Sep 2011
For me, everything in the Nasuverse feels like something constructed by a dude playing a Western-style RPG with one hand and an eroge with the other. Given its popularity, the Fate series absolutely qualifies.
Feb 18, 2018 6:25 PM
Jul 2017
I don't get the hype and praise around FMA or FMA:B. I've tried both, 30 episodes each, but I just couldn't get invested in the plot. It might be because I know the ending due to spoilers, but I just found Ed to be an annoying character (a well developed one, but still a rather typical character). I think I just disliked the artstyle. I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for it, but the art style is so distracting for me. It's kind of bland, unlike something completely different like Ping-Pong the Animation or Mob Psycho 100, or something that is amazing to watch (i.e. Your Name, One Punch Man, or AOT). Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible, just not the "saviour of anime" or the "perfect anime" that everyone thinks it is.
Feb 18, 2018 6:26 PM
Feb 2018
Swort Art Online.
I really can't stand this anime even though everybody seems to like it.
Feb 18, 2018 6:31 PM
Sep 2014
Does Aldnoah.zero count? idk, i'm probably just being salty because my ship is not sailed (inaho x asseylum). seriously, what's wrong with that gurl lmao
Feb 18, 2018 6:35 PM

Apr 2017
I don't get why many fans adore Angel Beats. Just because an anime is sad or shocking doesn't automatically make it "good". I mean, for one. Angel Beats is very rushed, it feels contrived, the characters are incredibly one-dimensional, and the ending is a big mess. It always boggles my mind as to how people could like such a poorly written anime.

Another anime is Elfen Lied... and don't even get me started with that anime. That shit is literal trash. It's extremely pretentious, as it tries to really appeal to its fans by attempting to be deep, but in reality, it's not. The cast is really flat and also detestable because they can be perceived as your average harem leads whose only purpose is to annoy you. There's also the fact that its very heavy on plot conveniences, is very abundant on plot holes, and has annoying fan service. I mean, like, do we always have to see Lucy being half-naked in literally every shot she's in?

But yeah, as I said, both Angel Beats and Elfen Lied are cherished for no reason, and it really makes me feel like people don't think sometimes when they watch anime.
Only in death are we all equal.
Feb 18, 2018 9:43 PM

Apr 2014
Don't hate but didn't like as much as most people:

Black Lagoon - I just couldn't get into it, and I don't know why. (Except the sunken ship part. I really liked that for some reason.)

Kuroshitsuji - Same as above, I just can't get into it. I start watching it, and halfway through the episode, I'm bored. (Again, with the exception of Drossel's arc.)

K-On - I went in expecting music, got a slice of life instead. As SoLs go, it was alright, but it's not my genre.

Madoka Magicka - My entire impression of this show can be summed up as "meh".

Gintama - It's just really, really not my sense of humor.

Didn't like:

Kekkai Sensen - It. Made. No. Sense. I don't know what the plot was supposed to be. The first couple of episodes were fun, but it got more and more confusing, and near the end, I found myself beginning to tune out because I didn't understand what was going on anyway.

Free - Predictable and boring--I figured out the "twist" with Rin about 3 episodes in, and I'm terrible at that. Also, I'm just not a fan of swimming as a competitive sport; I think I only even watched it because everybody was raving about it and it did look pretty.

My Neighbor Totoro - It was kind of a plodding, dull movie anyway, but the kids yelled everything they said and made it both annoying and painful. Pet peeve no. 2: Yelling children. (No. 1 is snoring.)

Odd duck:

Death Note - I love the premise, plot (well, most of it), and characters (most of them too), but I hate Kira so much that I just can't watch the show. Light is fine, but I hate Kira.
SyssarethFeb 18, 2018 9:53 PM
Feb 18, 2018 11:06 PM

Jun 2015
Future Diary. Just get that thing out of my sight.
Feb 18, 2018 11:11 PM

Sep 2017
No game no life is terrible in my opinion and to call it a game anime is a disservice to other game animes. Another one Is Ergo Proxy, and this is sad because it's like literally my favorite genre. I just thought it was one of he most boring shows I've ever watched and tried too hard to be deep. Maybe I'll give EP another shot eventually.
Feb 19, 2018 10:06 AM

Oct 2017
Evangelion

I don't understand why people love this mediocre show.
Feb 19, 2018 10:12 AM

Nov 2016

Kill la Kill, that graphic I can not like ...
Mar 4, 2018 9:07 PM
Nov 2017
cowboybebopand myhero acedemia were boring
Mar 5, 2018 12:00 AM

Nov 2017
Ancient Magus Bride so far.

It's kind of disappointing me because of the main character's lack of personality. I'm still enjoying it but I dunno.
a w o o o o ~

Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

55 by Rinenka »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

14 by Rinenka »»
11 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 47 minutes ago

9 by Kenzolo-folk »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
16 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

56 by Ionliosite2 »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.