Forums
New
Dec 6, 2017 12:59 PM
Oct 2016
##################################################################
Clanky72May 20, 2021 5:50 AM
Dec 6, 2017 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
I think around the time when it was 2010 or less people used to still watch anime but I guess people mostly the long series ones or the ones that came on TV. I remember watching Naruto and Dragon Ball online back in 2006. There were dedicated websites for their upload. Youtube/dailymotion/myspace were laxed on their copyright laws. So pretty much watched off youtube.

There were also general anime website like anime6 but this stopped functioning a very long time ago. So this is why I'm mentioning here.

I don't think there was such a thing as an anime community though compared to what we have now.
Dec 6, 2017 1:29 PM

Jun 2015
For shows like Astro Boy, they came on TV.

Some more obscure things came to the west with atrocious dubs on VHS tapes. Very fun.

Pre-2010 isn't too long ago, really.

Dec 6, 2017 1:39 PM

Jun 2015
Clanky72 said:
code said:
For shows like Astro Boy, they came on TV.

Some more obscure things came to the west with atrocious dubs on VHS tapes. Very fun.

Pre-2010 isn't too long ago, really.

Obscure stuff with bad dubs? That sounds indeed very fun!
The only way OVAs like MD Geist's sequel are even remotely watchable are through the dubs.

Obscure isn't the best word, but just not mainstream or whatever.

Dec 6, 2017 1:54 PM
Feb 2016
I remember when we used to get carrier pigeons to carry anime in parchments, frame by frame. You could pay touring groups of actors to do the speaking roles (normally in English dubs, those of us that were richer could afford to get the Japanese actors and have monks transcribe the subtitles). Normally every lord would have their own group of musicians to play the soundtrack, and also someone with incredibly quick hands to manually move the frames and make them look as if they were animated. The picture quality wasn't great (depended on how good your carrier pigeon was - the Black Market pigeons used to carry torn up parchments and missing frames) but it was a much more immersive experience. I hope we don't forget the #GoodOldDays of anime.
defunct0001Dec 6, 2017 2:06 PM
Dec 6, 2017 1:56 PM

Sep 2017
You have to suffer watching megavideo. There are also less anime sites. Animefreak and gogoanime is going strong though.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Dec 6, 2017 3:34 PM

Feb 2013
watch it on tv
download it from torrents, irc, direct download
just like now but with less streaming handholding for babbies unless you like 3 part episodes on youtube
Dec 6, 2017 5:35 PM

May 2017
usually they use rock technology to watch some anime. it was tough days
i am shitposter. dont take me seriously.
Dec 6, 2017 5:36 PM

May 2017
Shoegum said:
I remember when we used to get carrier pigeons to carry anime in parchments, frame by frame. You could pay touring groups of actors to do the speaking roles (normally in English dubs, those of us that were richer could afford to get the Japanese actors and have monks transcribe the subtitles). Normally every lord would have their own group of musicians to play the soundtrack, #GoodOldDays of anime.

loooool i love you dude. thanks for the laugh. u rock.
i am shitposter. dont take me seriously.
Dec 6, 2017 5:43 PM

Dec 2012
1996-2001: Watched mostly stuff on TV of which there was quite a lot. Also bought/rented occasional VHS tapes with my allowance, usually movies and OVAs, and Dragonball Z.

2001-2005: Got a job, went to college, and started collecting DVDs. I would just read the plots off the packages at the local Suncoast and Best Buy

2005-2009: Advent of affordable broadband internet here, started torrenting fansubs and watching the current anime season, still continued to amass my DVD collection, mostly through online shopping though since it's cheaper.

2009-: Advent of legal streaming, cut illegal streaming/torrenting down to almost nothing since everything I want to see usually gets licensed, the DVD collection continues to grow exponentially.

KruszerDec 6, 2017 5:56 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 6, 2017 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
I watched it on VHS. Not even joking...

And TV of course. Lots of anime on TV back then.
Dec 6, 2017 8:58 PM

Mar 2016
Cable TV and DVDs. Didn't know what seasonal anime was.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Dec 6, 2017 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
For me:

Spanish dubbed anime > Cartoon Network / Toonami > DVD RIPs / Pirated DVDs from the episodes downloaded via torrents (and I won't even deny this) > YouTube Videos where they did separated parts per each 8-10 minutes in the episodes (because time back then was limited in YT) > Streaming Sites
Dec 6, 2017 9:36 PM

Jun 2007
Weekly/seasonal watching's been a thing since at least 2003 or so, when BitTorrent made downloading anime faster and easier than the patchwork of IRC fileservers and Limewire/Kazaa/Emule/whatever that was the domain of the technically savvy in the early 2000s. Animesuki was a significant hub of forum discussion, as it had links/updates for torrents of any series not licensed in North America. (And in those days, most series weren't licensed until after the Japanese broadcast ended.) There were other messageboards for discussion, and many fansub groups also maintained forums for people to discuss their releases on. The main difference between then and now is that there weren't bootleg streaming middlemen profiting by positioning themselves between uploaders and viewers. Also, many popular series were "oversubbed" by multiple groups, while lesser-known shows received poor subs or no subs at all. Episodes could be delayed for weeks or months if fansub staffers faced IRL difficulties, although with popular shows, other groups would pick up the slack if one group faltered.
Dec 7, 2017 12:44 AM

Mar 2017
Why, Toonami and Adult Swim of course!
What's your rush now? Everyone will have his day to die.
Dec 7, 2017 1:40 AM

Aug 2009
Pretty much torrents and streaming sites since Crunchyroll was only kind of a thing and Netflix wasn't doing their streaming thing yet.

Dec 7, 2017 2:00 AM

Oct 2010
Back in the day we had Animax, so every night at 08.00 pm I watched some anime
Dec 7, 2017 2:13 AM

Sep 2016
toddler = local tv and vcd/dvd
grade school = local tv and animax
mid school = animax and youtube
high school = animetake and streaming sites
now = torrent only
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 7, 2017 2:15 AM

May 2017
That's around when I started watching anime, so honestly websites like animefreak and watchcartoononline were the shit

You could also watch entire anime series on YouTube, but that was when you could only upload 10 minute videos, so everything was split into two parts lol you were lucky if one user uploaded the entire series and an episode or part wasn't lost
Dec 7, 2017 7:17 AM

Oct 2014
In 2010 it was much the same way as people watch anime now, they just had to wait a bit longer for subs to come out.

In the 90s the only ways people could watch anime were either from watching them on TV (or taped from someone else's TV) or buying the VHS, which would be really expensive if you wanted the sub rather than just watching the dub like a normal American (for shows like Evangelion some would fork out the higher price to avoid the atrocious dubbing).
Dec 7, 2017 7:36 AM

Apr 2016
I didn't start streaming until 2013. And I started following seasonals after 2011.
Before 2013, the TV was my only source of anime. Before 2004 Cartoon Network/Toonami was my only source of anime. During 2004 I discovered Animax, which is a channel which airs anime 24*7 with no ads whatsoever. It aired both seasonals and finished anime, which was the best thing ever. Animax was my life back in the day. Unfortunately, Sony (fucking assholes) shut it down in my country early this year. So there went one of my sources of anime T_T
Dec 7, 2017 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe they will not sleep just to watch anime, some people also record their anime into VHS so that their friends can enjoy too
Dec 7, 2017 8:20 PM

Nov 2017
Ahhh, good old days <3 back then it was just from television.
I watch classic 70's to 90's anime together with my cousins and even family <3
Dec 7, 2017 8:30 PM
Aug 2017
Just watch it in computer and LED
Or go to theater for anime movie with otaku friends lol
Dec 8, 2017 12:48 AM

Jun 2015
2010 isn't that much different from now. It is pre 2k4 (pre Animax here) that was really hard. Apart from watching a few anime from local channels, most you can only watch in CDs, and VHS before that, with the majority without subs (watched the first Pokemon movie that way).
Dec 8, 2017 2:57 AM

Aug 2014
Never had the problem ;) started watching anime 2014 at 25 years old. Completed 486 series but starting to burn out to now.

why? didn´t have the opportunity as a teen and feelt like a missed out drom my childhood and to understand the language for a Japan trip and got stuck in it ;)
Dec 8, 2017 2:59 AM

Dec 2014
Toonami, fan-sub torrents, the odd physical copy here and there.
Dec 8, 2017 3:07 AM

Mar 2012
Used to watch whatever Animax showed, it was the only 24x7 anime channel here. I didn't have internet connection till 2011, started streaming anime in 2012, it was only Animax till then. I would watch just about any anime, even the ones that I didn't like most of the time.
Dec 8, 2017 3:18 AM
Nov 2013
I suggest watching Digibro's 2 "animag weekly" videos, they give an amazing amount of insight into 90s anime fandom. From my experience (early 00s onward) it was mostly just what was on TV, whatever random things you could find on physical media in a local shop, sites to find torrents, and, the second youtube came on the scene, horrendously low-quality pirate streaming sites.
Dec 8, 2017 3:33 AM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
AdultSwim/Toonami, staying up past midnight just to see Fulltmetal or Ghost in the Shell was so vital, I didn't even have comprehension to get full grasps on the few episodes I got to see but they were life changing.

And of course a tad later Youtube but that's before anything and everything could be on Youtube, that's how I watched the entirety of long series.
Dec 8, 2017 7:44 AM

Sep 2017
Always they watch TV in their days. If they missed it, thry just wait for a rerun.
Dec 8, 2017 7:45 AM

Oct 2015
I used to watch on TV and sometimes on the internet. I remember getting rick rolled when I was watching Yu-Gi-Oh.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Dec 8, 2017 5:25 PM

Nov 2013
Anime has basically been available for download or stream since the earliest days of the internet, if you knew the right sites.

I'm in my mid 20's, so it's always been accessible to me. As far as I understand, prior to the internet, if it wasn't aired dubbed on television, you could hunt down original VHS if they got imported.
Dec 8, 2017 5:28 PM

Jan 2015
Watched anime on Commodore 64 computer

Nah, I'm just kidding. I'm not THAT old lol.

Television was pretty much the only way to watch it back then.

I'm still confused about this internet thing because I didn't know if it was available back then, if it was, I didn't know about it.
ArillionDec 8, 2017 5:34 PM
Dec 8, 2017 5:47 PM

Jan 2009
back in the 1990s there are lots of anime on VHS renting shops
back in early 2000s there are lots of pirated CD and DVD of anime here sold in the streets
back in 2005 to 2010 internet is becoming part of households and the golden age of fansubbing is born especially around 2006-2007 so people download anime at those times on file hosting sites like rapidshare, megaupload, etc and even IRC/XDCC and of course torrents
Dec 8, 2017 5:47 PM

Nov 2008
Before the late 90's, you had to trade tapes, blind buy/import vhs/dvd/laserdiscs, or see it on TV. In the US there was anime airing as far as the early 70's on TV although most people didn't find out that stuff was anime until decades later.

Dec 8, 2017 8:22 PM

Nov 2013
Kids these days are so spoiled with their fan-subs, and streaming services.

Back in my day we had to cut-out pages from Black Jack and Captain Tsubasa and move the pictures back and forth really quickly while we paid women to say "Kawaii" next to us. That was anime back in the good days.
Dec 8, 2017 8:50 PM

Feb 2010
Well, simulcasting only really started around 2009/2010 in any kind of quantity so before that it was all fansubs. Of course people still kept up with the newest shows but the releases were often weeks or even months behind the latest episode that aired in Japan. But nobody really cared, it was all about the release schedule of the subbing groups. At that time I watched a bunch of shows including long-runners like Eyeshield or Gash Bell pretty much as they were subbed but back then I didn't know they were also airing around that time (I still don't know exactly how much delay there was), I just knew they were currently being subbed. But as far as I knew they could have aired 10 years ago in japan, I didn't really pay any attention to that at all because it was irrelevant when the RAWS came out since I couldn't watch/understand them anyway.

That's why I don't really understand the people who go on the barricades when they have to wait a bit longer for a show to get released with subs when Netflix licenses them. That's a pretty recent privilege that we get to watch almost all the shows as simulcasts. I already loved anime when I had to wait for fansubs groups all the time so going back to that for a handful of shows doesn't really bother me too much. You definitely learned more patience as a fan back then.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 8, 2017 9:52 PM

Jun 2017
Before kissanime and crunchyroll, there were torrents, TV (toonami and CN especially), and DVDs.
Dec 8, 2017 9:55 PM
Dec 2017
Before 2005(my first decent high speed connection) it was g4tv and any other tv sorce I could find. We had a hacked direct tv box that I could get Japanese channels on so I could sometimes find anime on there.
Dec 8, 2017 10:06 PM

Nov 2017
My era was 2007 onward. From memory, I'd watch series (mostly English dubbed) on youtube. The episodes were split into three parts and you were lucky if it was 360p. Before youtube, I've heard people used to go to video shops and loan VHS anime tapes.
Dec 8, 2017 10:08 PM

Jan 2008
For 2006ish, maybe a little further up, and until stream services like CR became a main source, the online community was extremely reliant on fansubs. Because of this, not as much shows you'd get these days would get translations, some being forgotten and some not getting translations til a random group decided to pick them up way later. We still have fansubs but these days, you can find the majority of subs just rips of online services.

PaulDec 8, 2017 10:15 PM
Dec 8, 2017 10:14 PM

Jul 2017
On tv.
Back in 05 the timeslot for Gundam Seed Destiny was Saturday at 12 noon.
After moving countries the timeslot in 08 for Gundam Seed dubbed was Friday at 11pm
I was 5 and 8 yrs old back then. Don't ask how I still remember it.

Oh yea. Dragon Ball Z Kai on CW 4Kids saturday mornings. Never forget that.

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Dec 8, 2017 10:19 PM

May 2010
Clanky72 said:
I've always wondered if the community watched anime in a seasonal rhythm in the past, or if this way of watching anime just came up recently. And if not, were there any other patterns the community followed?

And with "back in the day" I mean anything under 2010 and older. And if there's someone who saw Astro Boy or Kimba the white Lion back in the 1960 then that would be great to hear where they saw these shows.

I have entered the community in the beginning of 2016, so I started wondering if it was always like this or not.

2010 is old, he says.... lol.

From most recent to oldest method in my memory:
0. These days, there are legal streams
1. Wait for the whole season release and buy (illegal way: Stream/Torrent the latest subbed ep)
2. Buy the episodes bit by bit (illegal way:Tape-trade the latest subbed ep)
3. Wait for the license and watch on TV
Dec 8, 2017 10:26 PM

Aug 2013
Back in the 2000 going to every famous or less know fansub. Downloading with Mirc and talking with other members there.

There was a new series you wanted to watch? There's was no simulcast, crucnhroll you had to pray the otaku gods hoping a fansub would translate it.

The Golden Age of Fansubs, how I miss it xD

R.I.P Elcipse Fansubs o7
Dec 8, 2017 10:27 PM
Aug 2017
From my POV, it was mainly tv where I was exposed to known classics like Pokémon and Yugioh on 4kids and later Cartoon Network, .Hack Sign, Yu Yu Hakusho and Bobobo on Toonami, and Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Bleach, Witch Hunter Robin, Big O, Inuyasha, and FLCL on Adult Swim during the 00's. As well as Witchblade, Speed Grapher, and Hell Girl on IFC late nights in 2008? Also remember watching .Hack ROOTs during the time when .Hack GU camed out on Youtube at my dad's computer. Oh how times have changed now that humanity can stream pretty much anything, whether from an official source or not.

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

72 by ChouunShiryuu »»
46 seconds ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 8 hours ago

31 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

76 by velvetnyan »»
17 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

55 by Pokitaru »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 6 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.