Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Yearly Manga and Light Novel Rankings for 2017

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 6, 2017 3:37 PM

Nov 2009
Still no news for Kingdom and Magi season 3. Hopefully we get them soon.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Dec 6, 2017 5:40 PM
May 2017
DarklordVor said:
*2. **,960,418 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!

If only KonoSuba's volume 13 was released last month or two, then it could've sold another 80-100k and reached the 1m sales threshold.

*3. **,925,671 Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

Also I didn't expect Re:Zero to sell these much. I thought their books only sold around 60-70k? How did it almost rivaled KonoSuba that sold over 90-100k per volume? Is it because Re:Zero published more volumes this year? Or did they actually sold more than 60-70k and I forgot? I can't remember.

And Index is no longer in the top anymore? No wonder the anime got greenlighted after so long.

Re:Zero release 4 books per year while other series mostly release 1 or 2. Also, Konosuba have better sales in digital market, Konosuba digital sales rank 1st this year on Bookwalker while Re:Zero isnt in top 10 and series such as Overlord dont even have digital release
Dec 6, 2017 6:58 PM
Feb 2016
Always sad to see that the top 10 is overall average. oh and Diamond no ace act 2 is definitely a better written series than Haikyuu
Dec 6, 2017 9:07 PM

Mar 2015
Z4k said:
Physical sales are on a decline while digital sales are rising so these numbers don't mean much if you want to know if a series is successful or not.
VanishingKira said:
Manga Sales by Series Ranks 11-50

Much more interesting results than the top 10 which anyone could have guess at tbh.Cause it shows up and rising manga that'll probably get anime in the near future.

>12 Promised Neverland 2,093,790
>25 Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken 1,304,520
>31 Kimetsu no Yaiba 1,198,357
>34 Komi-san wa, Community-shou desu 1,135,494
>37 Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai 1,091,710
Anime soon!

Could see Kaguya,Promised Neverland and/or Kimetsu no Yaiba's anime being announced in 10 days at Jump festa.

Those numbers are estimates by a guy in Mangahelpers. The real numbers are a bit different.

2,039,765 The Promised Neverland
1,956,974 Black Clover
1,514,111 Hunter X Hunter
1,475,539 Gintama
1,302,000 Dragon Ball Super
1,195,541 Boruto
1,193,204 Kimetsu no Yaiba
1,182,641 Saiki Kusuo
*980,345 World's End Harem

can you give more complite and extended list? looks much more interesting!

also damn those dungeon meshi sales!
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 6, 2017 11:22 PM

Dec 2011
WyNdZ said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

(assuming you're talking about the top 10 series)

Why would it be? Its back volume sales (as we can see from when new volumes come out) are basically nonexistant. This means it needs to rely entirely on its sales of new volumes. With 2 volumes out in the covered period (although a third only a few weeks before which thus would have contributed something) I very much doubt Index would be anywhere near the top 10. Indeed I'd be extremely surprised if it sold half as much as the requirement to get on that list.

I see, I was under the impression that Index was a very popular series. Well I think it was a few years back but I guess the hype slowly died down. Anyways hopefully it's sales increase when season 3 comes out next year.

It was 19th last year with 3 volumes out, whereas this year there were only 2 volumes released (although a significant chunk of the sales from the third of those volumes would have been in this year).
The previous year it was in 9th but had 3 full volumes worth of sales.

It was 29th on this year's first half rankings.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 7, 2017 12:02 AM

Jun 2017
SNK, Tokyo Ghoul and BNH, they increased their sales
Dec 7, 2017 8:05 AM

Mar 2010
DarklordVor said:

If only KonoSuba's volume 13 was released last month or two, then it could've sold another 80-100k and reached the 1m sales threshold.

Also I didn't expect Re:Zero to sell these much. I thought their books only sold around 60-70k? How did it almost rivaled KonoSuba that sold over 90-100k per volume? Is it because Re:Zero published more volumes this year? Or did they actually sold more than 60-70k and I forgot? I can't remember.

And Index is no longer in the top anymore? No wonder the anime got greenlighted after so long.

WashingMachine45 said:
DarklordVor said:

Re:Zero release 4 books per year while other series mostly release 1 or 2. Also, Konosuba have better sales in digital market, Konosuba digital sales rank 1st this year on Bookwalker while Re:Zero isnt in top 10 and series such as Overlord dont even have digital release

Keep in mind that this all without an anime boost, which Konoisuba had this year and yet Re:zero still managed to sell pretty close to what it did last year. That's great for a series a fair way into it's down period. That by no means a small feat, even with constant releases.

@kuuderes_shadow
Thanks for the data.
Iron_MawDec 7, 2017 10:48 AM
Dec 7, 2017 10:29 AM

Mar 2016
It's depressing to see Eromanga Sensei in the top selling light novels while great stories that deserves more attention didn't even got into weekly and monthly sales top spot.
Dec 7, 2017 4:44 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Nice to see Magi in this list.
Dec 8, 2017 1:53 PM

Jun 2016
I don't know a lot about manga and sales,I know some mangas are weekly like One piece etc.

where is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?
Dec 9, 2017 5:55 AM
Jul 2018
@snow the list is completed? I remember every year we get more than that.
Dec 9, 2017 7:02 AM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
Yaoi-Senpai said:
Yes, more or less.

A couple of users have asked this and I guess I should've mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the list is up-to-date using Oricon's official rankings. The rankings doesn't seem to have been updated since this was posted, and it only included whatever is in this thread. Your guess is as good as mine as to why they didn't include more rankings like previous years.

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
Dec 9, 2017 7:48 AM

Dec 2011
Snow said:
Yaoi-Senpai said:
Yes, more or less.

A couple of users have asked this and I guess I should've mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the list is up-to-date using Oricon's official rankings. The rankings doesn't seem to have been updated since this was posted, and it only included whatever is in this thread. Your guess is as good as mine as to why they didn't include more rankings like previous years.

http://refugee-chan.mobi/test/read.cgi/refugee/1507519982/912

This was posted on refugee-chan (well, they were posted on 5ch first but that post has the full list) and has the top 20 on the light novel volume rankings (as opposed to the publicly visible list which has only the top 10). This makes me think that more extended rankings might exist somewhere?
kuuderes_shadowDec 9, 2017 8:02 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 9, 2017 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
Snow said:
Yaoi-Senpai said:
Yes, more or less.

Oh I see. I thought you skipped it or something, but ANN has the same amount. That’s why I asked you. Thanks for the info.
Dec 9, 2017 8:56 AM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
kuuderes_shadow said:
http://refugee-chan.mobi/test/read.cgi/refugee/1507519982/912

This was posted on refugee-chan (well, they were posted on 5ch first but that post has the full list) and has the top 20 on the light novel volume rankings (as opposed to the publicly visible list which has only the top 10). This makes me think that more extended rankings might exist somewhere?
What a blunder. I'll have to retract my previous statement, the list wasn't up-to-date. You can find the extended list in the private section of the Oricon rankings, which is probably where they (refugee-chan and 5ch) got their numbers from.

The Light Novel Sales by Volumes list has been updated now. I'll check with the LN folks to see how we'll go about to update the specific rankings list and figure out why we didn't include this list in first place. Thanks for bringing this up and I apologize for the inconvenience!

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
Dec 17, 2017 8:27 AM

Sep 2017
So a lot of things were happening in gintama 2016, a lot more were happening this year(i assume, since it's the last arc) yet its sales are half of what 2016 was..is it cause the last arc isn't going that well, or people got tired of the fights, what is it exactly?..
Dec 17, 2017 8:33 AM

Feb 2012
Op stays shitting on the industry .. almost double the sales of the SNK, good lord
Dec 18, 2017 8:05 AM

May 2014
As expected, nobody can beat one and only, almighty Goda

edit

Snow said:

10. **,417,897 Youjo Senki

Good to see Youjo Senki at top 10, fingers crossed for Season 2
Feb 1, 2018 7:30 PM

Jan 2014
Turtles_Hunter said:
Zephaas said:

Pretty sure 11 million is actually fairly bad for One Piece standards
No that's average. people tend to compare with the 2010 year numbers that were exceptionnal (it was during the impel down/marineford arc). The hype was so great, they had an outstanding number of older volume sales. If I remember well, they reached more than 32 millions copies that year (with only 3 new volumes, instead of the 4 of other years). But overall, between 10 and 15 millions copies a year is the average.

In fact, in 2011 One piece sold almost 38 million copies, which was its peak. It experienced a steep decline in sales over next few years. But yeah, later on it stabilized around 10 to 15 millions copies a year.

source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2011
Feb 16, 2018 8:08 PM

Jul 2017
i got a question, why no gintama on the list?
Feb 17, 2018 12:51 PM

Dec 2011
hktzu3 said:
i got a question, why no gintama on the list?

Because it doesn't sell anywhere near enough to get on there. The most recent volume dropped out the rankings with 179k sales. Whilst volumes do continue gaining sales after they drop off the rankings list it would really need to sell at least double what it does to stand a realistic chance of making these rankings.
Oct 17, 2018 9:58 AM

Feb 2013
Xaelath said:
Zephaas said:

Pretty sure 11 million is actually fairly bad for One Piece standards

Digital stuff actually decline the Manga sales.
While it's not fully a bad thing Manga/anime/LN is the one who need to evolve to follow the modern concept.

I do agree reading Manga/LN are still far better on book but when you had a smartphone or pc that pretty much do the same with same adjustment why go just go with "physical"?

I am quite sure Manga physical sales decline somewhere later in 2020.
Similar how Digital store or rent taking over BD/DVD for game/music/movie industry.

Physical should still exist but yeah having it alone doesn't help and i think reading it online literally same as pirating, no?
I mean we read something that copyrighted and we didn't even had it.
Or was it the same as playing/watching other people playing games,renting/borrowing it?

There's digital versions of physical magazines and digital volumes being sold for 4 years already, it's not something that needs to be made when it's already made. And in this very year digital sales surpassed physical sales for the first time in it's total.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

15 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 1:39 AM

» 'Fruits Basket' Creator Launches New Manga

Hyperion_PS - Sep 2, 2023

20 by KeyboardBunny »»
Apr 14, 8:04 AM

» 'Kijin Gentoushou' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 22

6 by JackAward »»
Apr 13, 1:07 PM

» Voice Actress Mutsumi Tamura Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Apr 1

15 by CrackedYolk »»
Apr 12, 10:50 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

23 by infanf »»
Apr 12, 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.