Forum Settings
Forums

What genre or setting do you avoid the most in Anime ?

New
Dec 5, 2017 12:55 AM
Jul 2015
What genre or setting do you avoid the most in Anime ?

Vote for an option that most suits the genre or setting that you tend to avoid at all costs regardless of whether it consititues a sub-genre within a particular show or not. For example, I voted "Harem where all or most of the female cast likes one male", so regardless of whether I like Action/Battles, High School, Fantasy or not, I won't be watching any Anime that has such a Harem setting even if the Harem setting forms just a sub-genre within it.

I have watched such Harem shows like Gakusen Toshi Asterisk and Seirei Tsukai no Kenbu in the past, but now I have sweared an oath to myself to never again watch any Harem anime, as I am totally boycotting such shows out of hate to that genre/sub-genre. Therefore, next year I will not be watching shows such as Arifureta Shokugyou and Death March Kara Hajimaru Isekai. However, I will be watching Kenja no Mago, as that is not Harem.

Watching Harems where one male gets all the females' affection caused me intense chest pains and hate, jealousy and anger at the MC's excessive monopolization of the affection of most of the female cast, so never again will I allow such genres to pain me. I'd be watching only Battle Animes where there are Multiple Couples formed, or Two Harem Groups forming and gravitating towards 2 Strong Male Main Cast characters.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 5, 2017 1:00 AM

Aug 2014
Nothing.
I just watch whatever i think promising or interesting.

For harem i enjoyed it but when it's stray further from it's harem genre then ridiculously sink the ship without any reason or development i might marked the anime as a failure.
Dec 5, 2017 1:02 AM

Oct 2015
Nothing. I do not watch a show for the genre. I just watch what I think it's good. But I guess I have some more specific types of side-enjoyability like 4-koma manga.

๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ซ๐”ž ๐”ฑ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ๐” ๐”ฅ ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ,
๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ฑ๐”ฆ๐”ซ' ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ ๐”ด๐”ฆ๐”ฑ๐”ฅ ๐”ž๐”ฉ๐”ฉ ๐”ช๐”ถ ๐”ช๐”ฆ๐”ค๐”ฅ๐”ฑ

Dec 5, 2017 1:02 AM

Apr 2016
Genre that's called "bad anime", is the one i'm avoiding the most.
Dec 5, 2017 1:05 AM

Jul 2012
Sports easily, granted I've never watched BL I'd gladly start over watching most sports anime.

Edit: Figured I should call it now the poll is probably a ruse so OP can do another thread on why harems with 2 male mc's would be better than the standard.
GamerDLMDec 5, 2017 1:30 AM
Dec 5, 2017 1:06 AM

Jul 2015
I avoid every anime with a tsundere female lead

About genres : bl stuff/sol/sports
Dec 5, 2017 1:14 AM

Apr 2012
Isn't the most basic subdivision of harem anime "boy surrounded by girls" and "girl surrounded by boys"?
Dec 5, 2017 1:20 AM
Jul 2018
I don't avoid any since the story could be great if it's done right.

Swagernator said:
Genre that's called "bad anime", is the one i'm avoiding the most.

You're goddamn right.
Dec 5, 2017 1:26 AM

Oct 2013
I try to avoid shows in which the main character seems to be a complete failure now a days

which is why I haven't started Kaiji
MC just seems like a failure and I can't deal with cry babies anymore
but Ive heard the torture is good though
Dec 5, 2017 1:32 AM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
Hmmm....aside from BL and Shoujo Ai which aren't just my taste. Probably some Sports like Rugby which I'm totally not a fan of.

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
Dec 5, 2017 2:12 AM

Feb 2013
lol@"Harem where many girls flock towards 2 Males of the Main Cast"

anyway this would have been better as a multi choice poll
Dec 5, 2017 2:20 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015

this isn't a genre goddammit

but i voted for it anyway

Dec 5, 2017 2:28 AM

Feb 2014
Fucking battle shounen. Can't stand them. Too much shouting and mind-numbing expositions.
Dec 5, 2017 2:31 AM

Aug 2009
Harems. Doesn't matter what type of harem it is, I refuse to waste my time watching one.

Fuck harems; especially Highschool DxD, but except for School Days.

Dec 5, 2017 2:32 AM

Mar 2016
Yaoi is too much, I'm ok with BL, but I Love Bromance....

I can't handle Horror, it's my weakness
Dec 5, 2017 2:32 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
I only avoid yaoi. I avoided mecha for a long time after watching NGE, but TTGL and Mai-Hime changed that. Used to avoid bl as well, but after reading Tokyo Babylon I would give others a change if they look as interesting as that. Haven't seen any that looked interesting enough, but still.
Dec 5, 2017 2:33 AM

Jan 2010
Everything that I dislike or not interested in which is A LOT

- Romance especially if combined with Drama
- Ecchi (especially if it's the main focus of the anime)
- Harem/Reverse Harem
- Yaoi/Yuri/BL/GL, mostly because I'm not into romance/drama which is what the genre is about most of the time than the actual male x male or girl x girl itself
- Hentai
- Slice of Life, or more like anything that set in our world with nothing else going on but some drama/romance/comedy/cutesy, a tale of somebody's everyday life, and the like
CrimsonMidnightDec 5, 2017 2:38 AM
Dec 5, 2017 2:33 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Sports, mecha, long-runners (especially battle shounens), yaoi/shounen ai, to some extent horror
Dec 5, 2017 2:34 AM

Mar 2015
Generic battle harems. And even then I could see myself watching one if the synopsis has some kind of interesting twist in it.
Dec 5, 2017 3:05 AM
Dec 2013
Yaoi/Shounen Ai, Sports, and Mecha.
Dec 5, 2017 3:14 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
its always gonna be sexual anime that get the most votes lol
Dec 5, 2017 3:22 AM

Aug 2015
I really hate martial arts anime where 50% of the time are battles and other 50% are training and talking about battles (except Dragon Ball Z, it's pretty awesome)
Dec 5, 2017 3:24 AM

Feb 2017
Harem/Yaoi/Mecha/Shounen and supernatural
Dec 5, 2017 3:33 AM

Jun 2017
Shicchi said:

- Harem/Reverse Harem
- Yaoi/Yuri/BL/GL, mostly because I'm not into romance/drama which is what the genre is about most of the time than the actual male x male or girl x girl itself
- Hentai
- Slice of Life, or more like anything that set in our world with nothing else going on but some drama/romance/comedy/cutesy, a tale of somebody's everyday life, and the like

So basically you only watch Mystery, Detective, Horror/Suspense/Thriller, Adventure and action anime. Hmmm, I feel sorry for you cuz I think half of anime is all about the genres you mentioned (except Hentai but is hentai really a genre?)
"The cycle of life continues. They will live, they will die"
Dec 5, 2017 3:33 AM

Sep 2017
Nothing. As long as the story is bad, I avoid the anime.
Dec 5, 2017 3:38 AM

Jan 2012
There are certain kind of anime I avoid like a plague, it's not the genre I avoid but the theme.

Dec 5, 2017 3:48 AM

May 2016
Definetly that yaoi shit. Get the fuck outta my face with that Boku No Pico shit
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~

Jan 2010
BrendanKU said:
Shicchi said:

- Harem/Reverse Harem
- Hentai

So basically you only watch Mystery, Detective, Horror/Suspense/Thriller, Adventure and action anime. Hmmm, I feel sorry for you cuz I think half of anime is all about the genres you mentioned (except Hentai but is hentai really a genre?)

Why would you feel sorry for me lol
I'm not wasting my time watching something I clearly don't like

Then I don't care about half of anime ;D
I only watch what interest me. I have other things to do so I prioritize what cater to my prerferences first before trying other stuff I clearly not interested in but might still watch it on a whim.

Oct 2013
Manaban said:
this isn't a genre goddammit

but i voted for it anyway
but but Manaban
you'll miss out on the new seasons of Index
and most important you'll miss out on the Fre nda memes
Dec 5, 2017 3:49 AM

Feb 2016
Both Yaoi and Yuri because its just disgusting.
Dec 5, 2017 3:55 AM

Mar 2016
Why isn't mecha on here?

I avoid it unintentionally. I don't gravitate towards many shows that have robots in them, but there's a lot I'd like to watch like NGE, Code Geass, and Gundam. I just spend too much time watching romance.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2017 3:56 AM

Nov 2017
yaoi/bl, not being homophobic but i don't like seeing 2 guys doing gay things to each other
Dec 5, 2017 4:24 AM

Feb 2011
Other, military settings, the focus on army or military organization has 100% of the times bored me. Sadly it's very hard to filter out, since it's always mixed with other genres or settings which I like.

Others I try to avoid since they very rarely are any good: Yuri or Shoujo Ai, Yaoi and BL, harems.

Then there are sports, no idea why, those shows are hard to start for me, even if they are well received.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modernโ˜…Profileโ˜…Updateโ˜…โ˜…Ripโ˜…Profileโ˜…"
Dec 5, 2017 4:25 AM

Apr 2013
I'm with the majority here, yaoi/BL doesn't appeal to me.
Dec 5, 2017 5:51 AM

Jul 2013
Sports, Mecha (unless it has something unique), Shounen (same thing with mecha unless it has something unique), and Yaoi.

Dec 5, 2017 5:58 AM
Jul 2015
Maybe I am the minority in here who doesn't like anime without a guy in it. An anime with full of girls.
Also generic school LN harem anime with forgetable MC. First time seeing it was amazing. Now it became stagnant and boring without proper ending
Dec 5, 2017 6:03 AM

Jan 2017
I'm open to all genres but I avoid reverse harems because they're cringe worthy to the unwatchable point and game/rpg setting cause i'm simply not interested in games
Dec 5, 2017 6:09 AM

Sep 2017
_Poochyena_ said:
Why isn't mecha on here?

Asking the real question here. Mecha is the only genre I avoid completely. Not that I found it bad or anything, I just don't like it. Robots and stuff... Hm. Not my thing.

The other one is isekai and high fantasy. I'll probably find one I like one day, but for now, the ones I tried seemed really boring.
Dec 5, 2017 6:38 AM

Nov 2014
I'm most tired of high school settings, but it doesn't seem like they can be avoided. Other than that, I only steer clear of hentai. I'm open to everything else.
Dec 5, 2017 9:03 AM
Aug 2016
Oh, I see that OP's made some progress. He hasn't put the word "harem" in this thread's title, that's a good sign.
Dec 5, 2017 9:22 AM

Apr 2017
Why would you put isekai and high fantasy in the same category?
They are totally different and have different strengths and weaknesses.
Dec 5, 2017 9:23 AM

Apr 2017
Anything similar to Re:Zero and Konusuba I will avoid for sure.
Dec 5, 2017 9:25 AM

Jan 2008
The need to separate harem into 2 options on the poll. Smh.
Dec 5, 2017 9:32 AM

Jul 2013
Paul said:
The need to separate harem into 2 options on the poll. Smh.

It should've been a no surprise I mean the OP is the same guy desperately having an anime with 2 male harem anime.

Dec 5, 2017 9:34 AM

Jan 2016
Closest I think I avoid is harem. I don't have a problem with harems actually, I just hate the MCs. They always play the dumbwitted, socially inept role and can't recognize what is happening.

I can enjoy a harem where the MC either is focusing on one other person, hates those trying to be the harem, or actively goes against the harem.
Dec 5, 2017 9:37 AM

Feb 2010
mahou shoujo and mecha, both of which are not listed here. And Harems too. I probably avoid harems the most, mahou shoujo almost as much and mecha to a lesser degree. And no the number of fucking males in a harem doesn't matter, it's the concept of harems that I avoid.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 5, 2017 10:24 AM

Jul 2017
I usually do not go out of my way to avoid a specific type/genre of anime. The ones I am mostly skeptical and reserved about are: slice of life, harem, shounen and mecha. The reason is mostly being either boring, clichéd, cringy, upright frustrating or just does not suit my taste.

Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Dec 5, 2017 10:27 AM

Jun 2010
I avoid "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things"
Dec 5, 2017 10:30 AM

Jun 2011
EcchiKingMamster said:

I always tell you yaoi is more hated on this site... lol.

I voted low fantasy. Technically I don't really avoid anything. But I think I don't like low fantasy most.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Dec 5, 2017 10:41 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Energetic-Nova said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

I always tell you yaoi is more hated on this site... lol.

I voted low fantasy. Technically I don't really avoid anything. But I think I don't like low fantasy most.

This poll doesn't mean it's more hated lol.. it's just that most straight guys don't wanna see dudes being close, and obviously the majority of people are straight. Doesn't mean we hate it

For every yaoi or BL thread there's like 15 ecchi/fansevice complaint threads, the difference isn't comparable cause there's always gonna be the double standard against perverted content aimed at men

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

47 by LasterRadvil »»
43 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 10 hours ago

39 by Luchipher-Zen »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

69 by Kenzolo-folk »»
9 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 29 minutes ago

4 by TheMangaManiac »»
9 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Yesterday

39 by Horizon248 »»
12 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.