Forum Settings
Forums

Isekai is NOT a bad concept, some anime just don't know the proper use of the concepts.

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 4, 2017 7:50 PM

Nov 2012
Wasshio said:
Red_Keys said:
When a new show is announced, and the synopsis spends the entire time talking about how lame and boring the main character is, and every piece of promotional artwork released goes out of its way to pretend that the main character doesn't even exist by featuring a collection of exclusively cute girls who may or may not even be mentioned in said synopsis, the setting or general outline of the plot doesn't matter. It's going to be garbage.

That doesn't mean that its automatically garbage though? Yeah I do agree that it happens but that doesn't really mean a lot to be fairly honest. Execution matters no matter how the basic synosis is when it comes to it. Synopsis doesn't tell you the entire series.

It's just Keys being a try-hard cynical "critic" as always.
Dec 4, 2017 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
SuperRed said:
Wasshio said:

That doesn't mean that its automatically garbage though? Yeah I do agree that it happens but that doesn't really mean a lot to be fairly honest. Execution matters no matter how the basic synosis is when it comes to it. Synopsis doesn't tell you the entire series.

It's just Keys being a try-cynical "critic" as always.

True.

But still its open so I kinda wanted to point out that its bullshit. xD
Dec 4, 2017 7:53 PM

Jan 2014
Yeah that's basically the truth in a nutshell.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 4, 2017 9:09 PM
Sep 2013
I think "Isekai" play a similar role as fan fictions.

Being free web novels("Isekai" anime fans talking about are free web novels), readers are expecting most web novels are amateur quality and are starting a series with low expectation and can stop reading just after few sentences

Fan fictions using existing characters to interest people, let people know what to expect from them

"Isekai" using common tropes to interest people and let them know exactly what to expect
umashikanekoDec 4, 2017 9:13 PM
Dec 4, 2017 9:13 PM

May 2009
NeoAnkara said:
For me I would prefer flat out fantasy instead from the start.
Given a choice of asking a writer for a story in a fantasy world or asking a writer for an isekai story that incorporated that fantasy world, I'd definitely choose just the straight-up fantasy world. More setting consistency; less to explain; no awkward need/desire to care about self-insert elements.

MortalMelancholy said:
None of [the series OP cites, presumably] are isekai. Sure, they're "transported to another world," but that's not the trope that Japan has created around the word.
See, here's an example of usage of the term "isekai" to refer to not just the core concept but also the bunch of tropes and stereotypes that are commonly seen with it these days.

I'd disagree. The core concept can certainly be used in many other ways and the very name of that concept doesn't restrict it to being a specific set of tropes.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 4, 2017 9:16 PM

Apr 2015
umashikaneko said:
You said:
So I recently know that there's much hate to isekai itself (mostly due to the loads of isekai centered anime produced by the industry and perhaps, the tedious writing).

But as much as I dislike Re:Zero, I don't believe this concept to be bad. I mean, even if I haven't seen good isekai anime until today, isekai CAN be good. Ever heard of The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri? It's one of the most revered literary works by many and yes, it IS technically an isekai. Ever heard of Alice Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll? It's another work with an exquisite fold of writing and once again, they ARE technically isekai.

I personally think that it's just that people in anime industry keep overusing the same premise and cliche ad nauseum in addition that the writer don't know the potential of the premises so that it garnered the hate it gets. Do you agree with me or not?

You are comparing "Isekai" with actual novels written by professional writers.

When people complaining "Isekai" tropes, they are talking about web novels written as hobby by non professional writers like Re zero、kono suba.

Brave story by miyabe miyuki,Junikokuki by ono fuyumi are not reallry on people's mind when they are talking about Isekai.
isekai by it's word means another world. How can you relate it to tropes such as harems, OPness or game like world?
Dec 4, 2017 9:21 PM

May 2009
You said:
umashikaneko said:

You are comparing "Isekai" with actual novels written by professional writers.

When people complaining "Isekai" tropes, they are talking about web novels written as hobby by non professional writers like Re zero、kono suba.

Brave story by miyabe miyuki,Junikokuki by ono fuyumi are not reallry on people's mind when they are talking about Isekai.
isekai by it's word means another world. How can you relate it to tropes such as harems, OPness or game like world?

A number of series labeled (and heck, even titled) "isekai" in recent years have used these elements, and have sort of inspired each other, so it's natural that some people would associate the core concept with the accompanying tropes.
Dec 4, 2017 9:22 PM
Jul 2018
I love the concept.
You can either have it used to create a hot harem anime, or an anime where the MC is some random bystander underdog.

Anime has just been fucking it up whenever it uses for a time now.
Either they're junk garbage like Smartphone.
Or they're like Re: Zero, where they try to stand out, while following all the basic tropes.

The only isekai anime I've watched that I can consider to be genuinely good is Grimgar and Konosuba.
Dec 4, 2017 9:34 PM
Sep 2013
GlennMagusHarvey said:
You said:

A number of series labeled (and heck, even titled) "isekai" in recent years have used these elements, and have sort of inspired each other, so it's natural that some people would associate the core concept with the accompanying tropes.

<I think "Isekai" play a similar role as fan fictions.
Being free web novels("Isekai" anime fans talking about are free web novels), readers are expecting most web novels are amateur quality and are starting a series with low expectation and can stop reading just after few sentences

Fan fictions using existing characters to interest people, let people know what to expect from them

"Isekai" using common tropes to interest people and let them know exactly what to expect>

I don't think it is fair to compare Isekai free web novels which most anime fans talking about(Re zero,Kono suba, Death March,Tate no yusha) to normal novels that happen to have isekai setting(Brave story by miyabe miyuki or 12kokuki by ono fuyumi) which are expected to be high quality by readers and advertised by publisher from the beginning
umashikanekoDec 4, 2017 9:40 PM
Dec 4, 2017 9:46 PM

Jan 2017
Of course it's not a bad concept by itself. I don't really think you can have a fundamentally bad concept for a story - it might be more or less original than others, but that by itself doesn't make it a bad concept.

Recall Jim Butcher who set himself the challenge of writing a work using not one, but two ideas that he thought were particularly bad. He got 'the lost Roman Legion' and 'Pokemon', and wrote the Codex Alera - one of my favourite fantasy series that I'd recommend to anyone with an interest in heroes overcoming obstacles through cunning rather than sheer power. (Knowledge of classics enhances the experience but is not necessary.)

Back to the topic, then - there are a lot of bland, boring Isekai stories out there, no doubt. I'll be looking for new manga, find something that looks interesting and check the synopsis. If I see something like 'MC dies and is reincarnated into a fantasy world BUT THIS TIME he's a villager/slime/inspector/accountant/merchant/whatever the hell it is this week', I drop it like a hot potato.

We're at the point where the market is so saturated with it that anyone can have a go at becoming popular by doing the bare minimum - standard fantasy world #262, hero and demon lord, a couple of cute girl archetypes, and a gimmick that serves as the only way of telling these things apart.

But.

There is still great stuff coming out - people upthread have already mentioned a lot of these. The standout example for me is KonoSuba, which relies on everyone being familiar enough with standard isekai tropes that it can parody them without people getting confused. If nothing else, the recent obsession with isekai opened the door for that.

Yeah, a lot of the stuff we see is getting pretty damn stale now. But hell, we had vampires go through the same thing in the 2000s, and that died down eventually. The same thing will happen to isekai.

In the meantime, I'm going to hope for my personal wish, which is for a survival-focused isekai. I want Robinson Crusoe in Middle-Earth - where he's miles away from any civilisation that wouldn't kill him for having round ears. Where he's going on educated guesses at best as to which plants are safe to eat. Where he can't use the sun and stars to guess his position, because the constellations are different and he doesn't even know if this world has a stable orbit to begin with. Where he has no idea what sort of shelter to build, because the weather could change every five minutes or stay the same for centuries Where he really wants to get home, and has no idea how to even start. Where, in short, he's trapped. On another world.
Dec 4, 2017 9:55 PM

Sep 2017
The writers have not much experience in writing in stuff. If not, it is their own writing skills and execution. I like Isekai genre but they lack story-telling, how it supposed to go in different scenarios and etc.

Still waiting for a Isekai that's worth watching.
Dec 4, 2017 10:13 PM

May 2009
umashikaneko said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

<I think "Isekai" play a similar role as fan fictions.

"Isekai" using common tropes to interest people and let them know exactly what to expect>

I don't think it is fair to compare Isekai free web novels which most anime fans talking about(Re zero,Kono suba, Death March,Tate no yusha) to normal novels that happen to have isekai setting(Brave story by miyabe miyuki or 12kokuki by ono fuyumi) which are expected to be high quality by readers and advertised by publisher from the beginning

The term you want for self-published novels is "doujin" I think. "Isekai" refers to the setting premise.

But with regards to "using common tropes to interest people and let them know exactly what to expect"...the same could be said of all genres, honestly. It's not unique to isekai at all.
Dec 4, 2017 10:18 PM

Sep 2009
topazio said:
Yeah, we all know that. Any genre can work in the hands of a competent writer. There has been some good isekai around since forever, even in the anime industry. The problem is that, as you said, as almost all overused tropes, it sucks now.

You literally described 99% of Anime.

The bigger the fanbase the worse it gets. Business always follows the money and the uninitiated love gobbling garbage.

Dec 4, 2017 10:43 PM
Sep 2013
GlennMagusHarvey said:

The term you want for self-published novels is "doujin" I think. "Isekai" refers to the setting premise.

But with regards to "using common tropes to interest people and let them know exactly what to expect"...the same could be said of all genres, honestly. It's not unique to isekai at all.

Doujin is self-punishment by a group of people.
Most isekai novels anime fans talking about are free web novels= no publishment unless it gets very popular

Free web novels tend to be all about common tropes regardless Isekai or fan fiction of existing franchise or others. What people want from free web novels are junk food type stories filled with common tropes in the first place.Highly original, artistic novels are not people expecting from web novels. If people want an original story with good writing, they would go with normal novels by professional writers.Most famous "Isekai" novels among anime fans come from a single web-novel website tbh.
umashikanekoDec 4, 2017 11:34 PM
Dec 5, 2017 12:58 AM

Sep 2009
GlennMagusHarvey said:
NeoAnkara said:
For me I would prefer flat out fantasy instead from the start.
Given a choice of asking a writer for a story in a fantasy world or asking a writer for an isekai story that incorporated that fantasy world, I'd definitely choose just the straight-up fantasy world. More setting consistency; less to explain; no awkward need/desire to care about self-insert elements.

MortalMelancholy said:
None of [the series OP cites, presumably] are isekai. Sure, they're "transported to another world," but that's not the trope that Japan has created around the word.
See, here's an example of usage of the term "isekai" to refer to not just the core concept but also the bunch of tropes and stereotypes that are commonly seen with it these days.

I'd disagree. The core concept can certainly be used in many other ways and the very name of that concept doesn't restrict it to being a specific set of tropes.

It does in Japan. Same idea as a fag never meaning "a bundle of sticks" in the US.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 5, 2017 3:15 AM

Mar 2016
Hmm, Same for China and Korea, for their xianxia and gaming elements, not much a problem for me since there's some golden stories like The Faraway Paladin or Paladin of the End

Let me disturb you guys
@Xaelath
@AdrianRubinsky
youseikiDec 5, 2017 6:28 AM
Dec 5, 2017 6:03 AM

Jul 2015
Xaelath said:

I still haven't found unique type of isekai other than Kekkon Yubiwa despite being ecchi and cockblock it's still unique themes while holding isekai,action,romance,harem, adventure genre. It's just astounding.
I haven't read the shield hero and muso tensei though, they said its great but idk.. maybe later

Without spoiling anything...

Shield Hero >> It has a solid beginning but my interest dropped quickly because I didn't like half of the character cast.

Mushoku Tensei >> I have mixed feelings. I really liked the world building but the author drops the ball with all the perverted actions with small children by the MC.

I just looked today at the new updates and there is a new Isekai manga. The MC was killed by a horse. Later, he was transported to another world with cheat attributes (Another Isekai with RPG elements like level and menus popping up). Here's the first part of the synopsis:

I, Ichinosuke, failed to get a job for 100 consecutive times. Furthermore, my record is still being updated as unemployed.

On my way to a job interview, I was involved in an accident with a truck and tragically passed away.

And then, a Goddess bestowed upon me the ability to grow at a speed 400 times faster than normal, before sending me to a game-like otherworld.

I'm still looking for something different but no success yet.

AdrianRubinskyDec 5, 2017 6:12 AM
Dec 5, 2017 6:38 AM

Jul 2015
@youseiki

Seems much like Mushoku Tensei with a dark twist . I will take a look.

Dec 5, 2017 7:49 AM

Aug 2014
AdrianRubinsky said:
Xaelath said:

I still haven't found unique type of isekai other than Kekkon Yubiwa despite being ecchi and cockblock it's still unique themes while holding isekai,action,romance,harem, adventure genre. It's just astounding.
I haven't read the shield hero and muso tensei though, they said its great but idk.. maybe later

Without spoiling anything...

Shield Hero >> It has a solid beginning but my interest dropped quickly because I didn't like half of the character cast.

Mushoku Tensei >> I have mixed feelings. I really liked the world building but the author drops the ball with all the perverted actions with small children by the MC.

I just looked today at the new updates and there is a new Isekai manga. The MC was killed by a horse. Later, he was transported to another world with cheat attributes (Another Isekai with RPG elements like level and menus popping up). Here's the first part of the synopsis:

I, Ichinosuke, failed to get a job for 100 consecutive times. Furthermore, my record is still being updated as unemployed.

On my way to a job interview, I was involved in an accident with a truck and tragically passed away.

And then, a Goddess bestowed upon me the ability to grow at a speed 400 times faster than normal, before sending me to a game-like otherworld.

I'm still looking for something different but no success yet.

boi that also came out on my list read the summary, nope obviously a shit.

If i were to create an Isekai i do start like from zero.
With background such as
- No memories
- Could be overpowered but no control over it.
- Adventure out of a mystery place
- Travelling with a friends that isn't a generic ass 1D character
- Have a summary about what to do like background i mentioned above, getting out from the world, finding a way back, finding your missing memories, making up your mistakes in past

These idea is generic but could be given a depth
- Collecting swords , based on girls if you want harem, based on elemental and world's, based on masters that hold it, based on graveyard location etc.
- A slice of life isekai? But how about giving it even unique theme such as romance focused but you don't really need isekai to do a romance.. then you add activity such as building worlds,physic, economy,politic etc.

While reincarnation seems pretty common atm I still curious why none of them have this magical feeling like made in abyss,mahoutsukai no yome, or perhaps action similar to old shounen such as Rave Master? Idk it's something you describe as a "Vibe".

I had some isekai tittle i am following up than Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari.
Tensei Slime, actually quite terrible in the beginning but starting to build the world , currently stuck on political stuff then at sudden poof demon lord. Well okay that make fucking sense. Because i felt like author forgetting the character development and world depth before action.

Then another one similiar to SAO that called Only Sense Online.
Pretty solid i would say,you could say it a slice of life but there's also 20-30% action. There's basically no summary so far because they basically just playing around which pretty much describe a slice of life.

Another one was Kenja no Deshi, let's skip the bullshit it's a trash. There's nothing interesting so far it's just a pure generic isekai so far in Manga.

Uh yeah as long it's not rpg shit that actually a bad idea to bring up in a fantasy isekai because it would mess up the whole narration.
Dec 5, 2017 8:58 AM
Dec 2017
Isekai kinda blew up after Re: Zero and Konosuba.

Re: Zero made use of this trope in some cases and excecuted it good. And Konosuba is just using it for comedic purposes and relatability to the general demographic of the audience.

The mindset that Isekai is a trope that can grow one's plot grew bigger, and shows later on used it as a weak plot device instead.

E.G.
Knights and Magic used the main chara's past life hobby as a plamo builder as a way to make him excel in the Mecha ridden world that he was reborn into, making him worthy as main chara cause they have to be special at something right? This quickly became repetitive because they use it everytime when a mecha is upgraded to progress the plot, and it really shouldn't make any sense, plamo is different from real mechanical humanoid giant robots.

Smartphone to Tomo ni also used main chara's totem of his past life, in this case a goddamn smartphone for his exploits.

With that said now what first comes to mind with Isekai is that it's just about some otaku NEET redeeming himself in the next life by being OP or getting some harem, becuase that's what it kinda is now.
ZakuenDec 5, 2017 9:13 AM
Dec 5, 2017 2:13 PM

May 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

It does in Japan. Same idea as a fag never meaning "a bundle of sticks" in the US.
It's used by some people that way, yeah, but that doesn't mean everyone uses it that way or that it can't ever change.

Also, with "fag", that's about multiple completely different meanings. With "isekai", we're talking about the connotations of one meaning.
GlennMagusHarveyDec 5, 2017 2:21 PM
Dec 5, 2017 3:28 PM

Sep 2015
pls don't delude yourself. isekai has always been bad, and shows that people have always had shit no matter what era.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Dec 5, 2017 9:19 PM

Sep 2009
GlennMagusHarvey said:
MortalMelancholy said:

It's used by some people that way, yeah, but that doesn't mean everyone uses it that way or that it can't ever change.

Also, with "fag", that's about multiple completely different meanings. With "isekai", we're talking about the connotations of one meaning.

It is what it is. How different a word's various meanings are doesn't matter.
Dec 5, 2017 11:13 PM

May 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

It "is" multiple things. Japan isn't one hivemind of people who only think one way about the term.
Dec 5, 2017 11:39 PM

Oct 2015
I just don't understand why some people declare "this" stuff will be bad just because it have a word "isekai" . I mean you should check those stuff first before giving opinion on it.
Dec 6, 2017 12:22 AM

Sep 2009
GlennMagusHarvey said:
MortalMelancholy said:

It "is" multiple things. Japan isn't one hivemind of people who only think one way about the term.

Yeah, yeah, I know that you know what I mean when I say that when I call you a fag, I'm not saying you're a bundle of sticks. Or at least I think you do.
MortalMelancholyDec 6, 2017 12:38 AM
Dec 6, 2017 12:29 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty much.
A bit off topic but the same could be said about the term/word otaku.
How it's used differently and ignorantly compared to Japan.

That's debatable since it's been around long before the ones you mentioned.
Unless I read your comment wrong?
CabronDec 6, 2017 12:33 AM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 6, 2017 1:58 AM
Dec 2017
Cabron said:
That's debatable since it's been around long before the ones you mentioned.
Unless I read your comment wrong?

Yes technically Isekai have been around before those shows, and some similiar situations are outside of Japanese Media like Alice just like you mentioned.

But I assumed that OP's argument was centered around the Japanese Iteration of it, cause the argument wouldn't have existed if it wasn't because of the recent negativity towards Isekai trope in Anime, and my statement was solely about again the Japanese Iteration of it.

I said that it blew up mainly in Anime, because just after those 2, more Isekai works have been adapted into Anime (heck we got 3 last season and 1 more this fall), possibly the industry have been more bold with the trope considering there's interest for it. So adds a chance of bagging more cash I guess.
Dec 6, 2017 2:21 AM

Feb 2017
The idea isn't inherently bad, but anime as usual manages to fuck it up consistently.
Dec 6, 2017 3:28 AM

Mar 2015
they are simply overabused.. just lake battle school... that's all there is to it...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 6, 2017 4:13 AM
Jul 2015
The Isekai animes Death March Kara and Arifureta Shokugyou only features one Male getting his own Harem, right ?

I'd rather watch a Battle and Fantasy Anime where there would be 2 Males in the Main Cast each getting their own loyal female comrades, and I have just found one example of such a story that could be adapted into an Anime.

That is a Fantasy Battle genre Visual Novel with gameplay, where there are 2 male characters in the Main Cast that each gets their own respective harems of loyal female comrades.

The title of that Visual Novel is....... " Venus Blood Ragnarok". The story is set in a fantasy world, High Fantasy, no Isekai, so the characters are born and raised in that world with no Isekai past lives experience.

In that VN, the Main Character, Vari, is a strong and manly Half-Demon that would get up to 4 Pretty and Strong Goddesses into his Harem.

One of those Goddesses is his own sister, the other is a Blonde with fast and powerful lightning-based attacks, the other is a mature green-haired MILF-like elder lady Goddess with large boobs, and the last of them is an Idol Goddess. Oh, I forgot to mention that Vari will also get a Succubus into his own Harem other than those 4 Goddesses.

Vari's personality is fearless, brave ( sometimes wreckless in battle to the point he needs his loyal Imouto Goddess to rein him in ) , and manly in battle and when leading his troops, but in everyday slice-of-life moments, he knows how to chill a lot, smiling to the Goddesses in his harem like a sweet and charming gentleman, and he also occassionally likes to crack some jokes here and there, and gives out good advice to his harem, as I have read in that VN. Outside of battle, he can be a very good listener and he takes good care and concern for his Imouto, as he tries to act like a good bro to her, much like Tatsuya from Mahouka Koukou.

In that VN, Vari will have sex with all the females in his harem, which includes those 4 Goddesses, and 1 Succubus Archer that'll join Vari's army after Vari defeats him in Endurance during a Sex Endurance Match.

Here are 2 of the Goddesses in Vari's harem >>

Despite Vari, the 1st Male Lead having so many girls in his own Harem, there is also a second harem group in this game, led by the 2nd Male Lead, a Chibi Shota character by the name of Loki. Don't be fooled by his petite height and young boy face, though. Loki is actually of very old age, so he acts pretty calm, intelligent, and analytical for his age. He also smiles gently when he feels like it, and will not hesitate to crack a grin or too whenever he comes up with new ideas, plans, and strategies. Loki has some brains and charisma befitting for someone with a huge life experience.

Loki is Vari's Chief Strategist, so while Vari and the powerful Goddesses he commands in his harem are the brawns of his Army, Loki is the brains of his Army.

Loki's main girl in his harem is a Nun-like character dressed in white robes, whose name is Norn. She is very motherly-like in character and smiles a lot, and is very loyal and protective of Loki, as she loves Loki very much. Loki always does sex with Norn, as they love each other much, and sometimes Norn will be the one doing the Seme on him in femdom plays. Kyaaa!! So adorable was Norn in that game ! Loki you lucky bastard ! XD

Here is Loki's main girl, Norn >>>

The 2nd girl in Loki's harem is a Snake-Girl by the name of Jormugandr. She has good chemistry with Loki, and engages in much skinship and playful interactions with him. The 3rd girl in Loki's harem is a cute girl by the name of Heimdall, who's also a Goddess, and she wears quite sexy pantyhose-like see-through fabric covering her entire body, with only a breastplate armor covering her chest, torso, small section of her crotch and upper back.

Here is a screenshot of Vari and Loki in that VN. Vari is the tall and muscular guy in armor, and the 2nd Male Lead, Loki, is the short Chibi guy >>> http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/er0000/imgs/5/b/5bcbec7a.jpg

So there you have it. Venus Blood Ragnarok is another Visual Novel like Gensou no Idea that features 2 Male Leads each getting their own harem company of loyal female comrades that would be willing to put their lives on the line to defend and protect their Man.

Therefore, I hope any of those 2 VNs gets an Anime Adaptation, so that I can enjoy watching such an Anime where there would be 2 Harem Groups featuring cool male leads and a large cast of attractive and cute female fighters.
CoolitzHubertXVIDec 6, 2017 4:18 AM
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Dec 6, 2017 5:34 AM
Oct 2013
Zakuen said:

Yes technically Isekai have been around before those shows, and some similiar situations are outside of Japanese Media like Alice just like you mentioned.

But I assumed that OP's argument was centered around the Japanese Iteration of it, cause the argument wouldn't have existed if it wasn't because of the recent negativity towards Isekai trope in Anime, and my statement was solely about again the Japanese Iteration of it.

I said that it blew up mainly in Anime, because just after those 2, more Isekai works have been adapted into Anime (heck we got 3 last season and 1 more this fall), possibly the industry have been more bold with the trope considering there's interest for it. So adds a chance of bagging more cash I guess.

The japanese iteration of Isekai isn´t defined by teenagers being transported or revived into a video game inspired fantasy world. It´s the premise of most popular recent Light Novel adaptations and the attached Light Novels because the material was heavily Otaku pandering as many have dissected before.

Anime had original "Isekai" concepts by the dozen throughout the 80´s , 90´s and early 2000´s. The internet wasn´t as prominent though and they´ve all been forgotten or aren´t judged as such because they don´t follow the Otaku pandering modern Isekai formula.

The Isekai Anime of those generations either had main cahracters that were more reminiscent of Sasuke Uchiha or Cloud Strife or alternatively young kids, or sometimes brutish man with a soft side like Kenshiro. Often it was girls who got transported into the magical worlds. Finding their destiny, or exploring the whimsical world trying to find a way home.

The modern iteration of Isekai is mostly limited too Light Novels specifically alongside their adaptations, since the trend got popularized by Sword Art Online and remained there. It has less to do with Japan per se and more with the avoidance of diversity within the medium. Why try something new if the old shit sells. It´s the same reason Battle Shounen follow the Dragon Ball formula but give it their own spin.
Isekai Light Novels have just been at least according to community opinion lazy with their concept and just recycling trite ideaas without adding anything new or flavorful to them.
What you exclaimed is simply wrong.
IsterioDec 6, 2017 5:42 AM
Dec 6, 2017 8:45 AM

May 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Yeah, yeah, I know that you know what I mean when I say that when I call you a fag, I'm not saying you're a bundle of sticks. Or at least I think you do.
And so your point with regards to the term "isekai" is...?
Dec 6, 2017 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know how it works in anime, but reading manga. what appeals to me is how a mangaka is able to create variety in that simple concept. I've read about 50 isekais - of course some are baaaad - but some are very good. This is because each of them has its own storyline.

I can't see that being implemented into anime though. Anime world is a little different, people get tired quickly of something that is often repeated. Manga are quickly read stories, so watching a 20 minute episode for each isekai seem tiring specially since the story are very similar.
Dec 6, 2017 9:37 AM

Apr 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

hooh? Here we go, we can observe here a very common specimen on those board, the "i-don't-know-shit-but-I'm-still-going-to-affirm-I-know-and-try-to-get-my-point-across-like-that" type in his natural environment.
Tell me there, can you give me a legit source for your affirmation? A Japanese one please. Don't worry about me, I'll be able to read it.
Dec 6, 2017 10:21 AM
Dec 2017
Isterio said:
The japanese iteration of Isekai isn´t defined by teenagers being transported or revived into a video game inspired fantasy world. It´s the premise of most popular recent Light Novel adaptations and the attached Light Novels because the material was heavily Otaku pandering as many have dissected before.

Anime had original "Isekai" concepts by the dozen throughout the 80´s , 90´s and early 2000´s. The internet wasn´t as prominent though and they´ve all been forgotten or aren´t judged as such because they don´t follow the Otaku pandering modern Isekai formula.

The Isekai Anime of those generations either had main cahracters that were more reminiscent of Sasuke Uchiha or Cloud Strife or alternatively young kids, or sometimes brutish man with a soft side like Kenshiro. Often it was girls who got transported into the magical worlds. Finding their destiny, or exploring the whimsical world trying to find a way home.

The modern iteration of Isekai is mostly limited too Light Novels specifically alongside their adaptations, since the trend got popularized by Sword Art Online and remained there. It has less to do with Japan per se and more with the avoidance of diversity within the medium. Why try something new if the old shit sells. It´s the same reason Battle Shounen follow the Dragon Ball formula but give it their own spin.
Isekai Light Novels have just been at least according to community opinion lazy with their concept and just recycling trite ideaas without adding anything new or flavorful to them.
What you exclaimed is simply wrong.

My bad for seeming to have generalized the Japanese Iteration of the trope, but all of my arguments are contemporary.

As I said in my first reply which was quoted by Cabron, and I quote again, "With that said now what first comes to mind with Isekai is that it's just about some otaku NEET redeeming himself in the next life by being OP or getting some harem, because that's what it kinda is now.", I clearly mentioned that this is the current situation of Isekai, as that more works (LNs) are getting milked and being adapted into Anime, because it sells. Kinda like what you said in your last paragraph.

The topic was centered more towards the modern formula of Isekai, thus I thought I didn't need to iterate any words from my previous reply since again, I thought anyone would've known by context. I didn't really had any intention to discuss Isekai in Japan outside the contemporary, I only had one for iterations from other foreign media, in which case I mentioned Alice, which was still related to the modern Isekai of Japan, although technically transferred not reborn into, and without pandering.

And you didn't have to say that last sentence of yours, it's pretty much the topic of this thread, although not as a whole.
ZakuenDec 6, 2017 10:33 AM
Dec 6, 2017 10:22 AM

Sep 2009
Zefyris said:
MortalMelancholy said:

hooh? Here we go, we can observe here a very common specimen on those board, the "i-don't-know-shit-but-I'm-still-going-to-affirm-I-know-and-try-to-get-my-point-across-like-that" type in his natural environment.
Tell me there, can you give me a legit source for your affirmation? A Japanese one please. Don't worry about me, I'll be able to read it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%E7%95%B0%E4%B8%96%E7%95%8C+%E3%81%A6%E3%81%84%E3%81%8E
Dec 6, 2017 11:06 AM

Apr 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
Zefyris said:

Answering someone who ask to see the legit source with a lmgtfy link, are you ok in your head? When asked to back up your claim, you're not supposed to answer "search by yourself". Or is it that you can't find it yourself so you're hoping I'll find one?
Dec 6, 2017 11:33 AM
Oct 2013
Zakuen said:

My bad for seeming to have generalized the Japanese Iteration of the trope, but all of my arguments are contemporary.

My sole intetion was to correct that notion as well as to clarify SAO as the first "modern Isekai" Anime which popularized the trend. Out of the bunch it´s the only one that got people who weren´t interested in Anime to watch Anime to the extend it did and spawn a franchise. Re Zero and Konosuba were popular in their individual seasons, but they´re fleetign stars. Neither of them managed to consistently put out content over half a decade and both came out around the breaking point where audiences and producers got tired of the modern iteration.
Dec 6, 2017 11:35 AM

Sep 2009
Zefyris said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Answering someone who ask to see the legit source with a lmgtfy link, are you ok in your head? When asked to back up your claim, you're not supposed to answer "search by yourself". Or is it that you can't find it yourself so you're hoping I'll find one?

It's often mentioned in isekai manga. That said, I can't be bothered to search for Japanese sources when I don't speak the language.
Dec 6, 2017 11:43 AM

Apr 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
Zefyris said:

It's often mentioned in isekai manga. That said, I can't be bothered to search for Japanese sources when I don't speak the language.

I have never seen anything in japanese pointing out that way so allow me to call this nothing but foreigner's lack of knowledge.
And yes, I know you don't speak it, I mean even if I didn't knew beforehand, usually you don't write ていぎ to search for a definition on google. Not like you can't, but that felt heavily unnatural and just translating "definition" from english instead.
BTW if you search for definition of isekai on google in japanese, using ていぎ
or not, you're only going to find links that don't go your way, fyi.
Dec 6, 2017 11:53 AM

Sep 2009
Zefyris said:
MortalMelancholy said:

I have never seen anything in japanese pointing out that way so allow me to call this nothing but foreigner's lack of knowledge.
And yes, I know you don't speak it, I mean even if I didn't knew beforehand, usually you don't write ていぎ to search for a definition on google. Not like you can't, but that felt heavily unnatural and just translating "definition" from english instead.
BTW if you search for definition of isekai on google in japanese, using ていぎ
or not, you're only going to find links that don't go your way, fyi.

I mean, characters in isekai manga tend to go "Awwyeah, it's dat OP cheat stuff isekai development," "where's my OP cheat stuff?" "Yaay, OP cheat stuff." I'm not willing to take the time to go find them, or to try google translating stuff.
Dec 6, 2017 1:31 PM

Sep 2017
Isekai is just too overused and they are notoriously easy to write. Even a grade schooler can write it. It is extremely rare to have a good isekai though.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Dec 6, 2017 1:33 PM

Jun 2015
It's not the concept that's bad, it's the execution.

And the execution is always so meh.

It doesn't help that fish-out-of-water stories are what's popular everywhere right now.
Just look at almost every MCU movie.

Dec 6, 2017 6:35 PM

Apr 2016
I think you're preaching to a choir with this. To be honest, we've just grown tired of it and the many, many anime that use it poorly. This applies to the "trapped in a game" concept too. Few concepts people have tried are dead on arrival; but many fictional works with these concepts, especially a lot of the more popular ones (SAO, Re:Zero, Isekai wa Smartphone, Knight's & Magic [though one could argue that ain't super popular from a viewership standpoint]) seem to fuck it all up and combined with the abundance of them, yeah, this is basically the late 1980s/early 1990s mecha situation but worse. There are still some competent/decent ones like No Game No Life and Problem Children though.

Also, I agree, fuck Re:Zero.
Dec 6, 2017 8:24 PM
Dec 2017
Isterio said:
Zakuen said:

My sole intetion was to correct that notion as well as to clarify SAO as the first "modern Isekai" Anime which popularized the trend. Out of the bunch it´s the only one that got people who weren´t interested in Anime to watch Anime to the extend it did and spawn a franchise. Re Zero and Konosuba were popular in their individual seasons, but they´re fleetign stars. Neither of them managed to consistently put out content over half a decade and both came out around the breaking point where audiences and producers got tired of the modern iteration.

Oh, now I can understand your point of view.

I guess I didn't put SAO into consideration because I felt like it was more related towards the gaming fantasy genre, which SAO did spawn a bunch of other titles with similiar concept, and it can also be traced to earlier titles like hack.
Dec 6, 2017 8:52 PM

Mar 2016
I dislike how pointless the isekai trope often is. Half the time you could have easily made the same show with in world characters without pulling one from the "real" world. Kazuma from Konosuba or Subaru from ReZero don't add a whole lot from their own world to justify the isekai aside from a track suit or cell phone. No Game No Life is better about this such as the characters' obsession with animal girls.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Dec 6, 2017 9:35 PM

Oct 2015
The Wizard of Oz is an isekai.

Really though, it was NEVER a bad concept, it's just have been done to death and done to bad execution. I want to give an example, not an isekai, but relative to it is the setting is in a different world. HunterXHunter, the Rance games (which has pretty good world building), or anything that isn't placed in the real world can be applied to this. As long as the execution is good, isekai can be as good as other big titles.

And I guess the lack of using the isekai setting as well, I mean, most of the isekai I have watched don't even question why they were transported or build anything around that, probably in the sequel/light novel, I don't know. Correct me if I'm wrong or anything.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Dec 6, 2017 9:53 PM

Jul 2012
I agree that Isekai has varying degrees of success.

Anime like SAO and Re:Zero improve primitive concepts in Dante's Inferno and Alice in Wonderland.

While anime like 12 Kingdoms fails to establish a cool setting or relatable cast.

People just like to hate great isekai anime like Log Horizon because they are popular.
Dec 7, 2017 1:21 PM
Dec 2014
Tebls said:
I agree that Isekai has varying degrees of success.

Anime like SAO and Re:Zero improve primitive concepts in Dante's Inferno and Alice in Wonderland.

While anime like 12 Kingdoms fails to establish a cool setting or relatable cast.

People just like to hate great isekai anime like Log Horizon because they are popular.

Disagree with you on 12 kingdoms. Good show but nobody wants a flawed MC that isn't all powerful nowadays. An MC that makes mistakes. Nobody wants anything that isn't happy and lighthearted.

Twelve Kingdoms handles serious matters. People even die! Oh and a girl that isn't sexualised all the time. No panty shots even!

Good god anime used to be good ;)
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
2 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
8 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

65 by Ratris_Decision »»
12 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
16 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.