Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 3, 2017 3:54 PM

Jan 2017
I can't stress enough how powerful this season is. And this anime in general, the amount of issues it is addressing, how complex this are, their repercussions in people's lives, how humans cope with them. Everything.

I think Hayashida in this episode is all of us each time we have to listen to that hateful woman.

I was so moved with Nikaidou's story. I didn't know it was that bad, i am beyond hurt finding one of my favorite characters is suffering to that extend and even, is fighting so hard for him and Rei at the same time.

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Dec 3, 2017 9:18 PM

Jul 2009
Hold up rewind. Yes the whole Nikaidou thing had me in tears and efficiently distracted me from the bullying storyline--which I so very dearly want resolved-- BUT THE FATHER????!

This man stuck around long enough to have not one, but THREE BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN and he left them for another women and child? I mean ok maybe he had a falling out with the mother but to honestly abandoned them like this. Their mother died and he's no where to be seen. HINA WAS A BABY WHEN THE MOM DIED. Like omg this little adorable toddler is being raised by her sister. Does he even visit? Check in on them? The bastard better at least be paying child support. Although I doubt it.

May he get hit by a car please. (I'm not evil, the car doesn't have to kill him. In fact it's better if he just gets crippled)
InugirlzDec 6, 2017 9:01 PM
Dec 3, 2017 11:24 PM
Jul 2018
So... Based on the preview, are we going to see that scene of Hina and Rei after Rei's match?

I can't wait for the next episode
Dec 3, 2017 11:37 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Poor Bodoro, his life was hard!!!
Dec 4, 2017 7:03 AM

Feb 2008
Hinata's troubles take a back seat for an episode, as far as first-person accounts go. However, nothing less from Hayashida, he is truly a teacher par excellence. Despite the inherent implications, I wish he were unleashed on Hinata's homeroom teacher.

Nikaidou's fate was downright tragic. Its subtle nuances were depicted well, as were various interactions between Nikaidou and Kiriyama. A fine portrayal of the human condition.

I absolutely loved the end card.
Dec 4, 2017 7:22 AM

Aug 2014
this season has been phenomenal from the start, one great episode after another, this , kino and net-juu are the only 3 that i actually can't wait a week to see what happens in them.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Dec 4, 2017 12:45 PM

Jul 2009
First half was all right, with our lovely teacher getting more involved and finding out about the sisters' father, but the second part was really amazing for me. I really loved seeing Shimada again, and man, Nikaidou's story and struggles was really sad to watch. It's nice to see them be so close, and especially with Nikaidou wanting to do SOMETHING since he can't really do much of anything. Either way, I really hope that Rei will become a great friend (and rival) to Nikaidou so they can both become stronger. Also, more Shimada please :P
Dec 4, 2017 11:25 PM

Oct 2008
Another very good episode!
LOL the very first thing we see at this episode was Hayashida sensei running amok because of that useless homeroom teacher of Hina!
Nice! Kiriyama keeps on winning!
For sure Kiriyama will take absolute revenge to Yamazaki because he's the one who defeated Nikaidou on the Rookie Tournament!
Good to see Shimada back again!
Looks like Nikaidou is in again bad condition.
We got to see a lot of childhood past from Nikaidou and Shimada.
I think Kiriyama is in top form or rather angry top form because of what happen to Nikaidou. Hope he's not too angry that it would compromise Kiriyama's winning streak.
5/5.

Dec 5, 2017 10:39 AM

Apr 2015
Second half was better.

The questionable decision of amplifying the tone of the (mainly comedy) scenes isn't really rubbing well for me. That's probably about the fifth time I'm posting this on ED threads. Exactly the reason why the second half was better.
Dec 5, 2017 1:11 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
i think all is nice because the development of the plot ends to this tragic end...
Dec 5, 2017 1:18 PM

Jul 2014
Hayashida is the teacher of the year, if only all teachers are like him...
Nikaidou's story is so depressing, please don't be a deathflag :'(

Also the ED's art is awesome, it reminds me a lot with monogatari series...
Dec 5, 2017 7:58 PM
Jan 2016
Shaft's doing an amazing job adapting the manga. Reall looking forward to the Kansai trip now.

Also, since it wasn't explained in the anime: Nikaido's loss is all the more irritating to Rei because his opponent prolonged it out of desperation. He was losing and didn't know what to do, so instead repeated moves in order to drag things out, go into a rematch and take advantage of Nikaido's condition (since he noticed he was was fatigued).
Dec 5, 2017 8:11 PM

Apr 2014
Nagsura said:
Shaft's doing an amazing job adapting the manga. Reall looking forward to the Kansai trip now.

Also, since it wasn't explained in the anime: Nikaido's loss is all the more irritating to Rei because his opponent prolonged it out of desperation. He was losing and didn't know what to do, so instead repeated moves in order to drag things out, go into a rematch and take advantage of Nikaido's condition (since he noticed he was was fatigued).
pretty sure it will explain that in the next episode
Dec 6, 2017 12:48 AM
Jan 2016
moodie said:
pretty sure it will explain that in the next episode

Certainly hope so, for it helps further justify Rei's feelings.
Dec 6, 2017 3:38 AM
Jul 2018
I had no idea that Nakaidou's condition was THAT serious. I understand that they put a lot of emphasis on his diet and medication, but this is the first time we are seeing just how drastically the disease has progressed. This show is always ready to hit you, or in this case Kiriyama, with something out of left field. I just hope that nothing too bad happens before, during or just after the finals match-up.
Dec 6, 2017 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
Masterpiece episode. This anime simply does not stop playing with my feelings.
I got to appreciate Nikaidou for the the first time as for the flawed human being he is. He's so loud to the point he annoys me, I must confess that, but...flipping back all the moments he had in this series, like this episode itself did it, just opened my eyes on his struggles and that he is another strong soul walking a bumpy path. Respect for Nikaidou boy.
Dec 6, 2017 2:57 PM

Sep 2009
Inugirlz said:
Hold up rewind. Yes the whole Nikaidou thing had me in tears and efficiently distracted me from the bullying storyline, which I so very dearly want resolved-- BUT THE FATHER????!

This man stuck around long enough to have not one but THREE BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN and he left them for another women and child? I mean ok maybe it had a falling out with the mother but to honestly abandoned them like this. Their mother died and he's no where to be seen. HINA WAS A BABY WHEN THE MOM DIED. Like omg this little adorable toddler is being raised by her sister. Does he even visit? Check in on them? The bastard better at least be paying child support. Although I doubt it.

May he get hit by a car please. (I'm not evil, the car doesn't have to kill him. In fact it's better if he just gets crippled)

He won't appear this season but if they ever make S3... Oh, judging by manga spoilers, there will be even more justified hate for this piece of shit of a father.
Dec 7, 2017 4:52 AM

Oct 2015
I cried this episode ;-; .Didn't even realize that his situation's really bad. The ost this episode fit the mood really well 5/5
Dec 7, 2017 4:57 AM

Oct 2013
Damn I nearly cried towards the end. Nikaidou you fucking hero. I knew he had some sort of disease that made him weak but it was always shoved aside before. Glad they gave it more focus this time around.
Dec 11, 2017 8:21 AM

Sep 2015
Wow. I knew Nikaidou was based on a real shogi player who died young. But I didn't expect them to get so serious with him so soon. I hope he doesn't die in the next few episodes. He'd definitely leave a hole in the series. Not that I think it couldn't continue without him. At any rate I liked his origin with Shimada a lot too. The flashbacks added a lot to our understanding of them. And the one tournament Rei and Nikaidou played in as kids. Was really moving and interesting. As it once again delved into how much of a commitment shogi can be. Trepidatious about next week's episode.
Dec 16, 2017 11:29 PM

Jul 2008
Crap, with all the crap going on with the girls, now Nikadou...and I'm sure even more drama is coming.
Dec 26, 2017 5:42 PM
Apr 2014
Finally a different episode again. It's not like I don't care about Akari and her sisters but I didn't need this many episodes to see where Hina's story would end up at(ok who am I kidding. Akari is the interesting character. The middle school drama really isn't my cup of tea and Momo is just there anyway). Actually it's kinda annoying they didn't "resolve" it entirely this episode. Would have made it possible to move on to Kiriyama's own problems or Shogi again.

edit: wow so many people surprised about Nikaidou collapsing. I feel like it has been made perfectly clear what condition he is in in S1 already. He was struggling against Kiriyama in the child tournament. It was emphasized a few times I think but at the very least once that Nikaidou wasn't able to do regular children stuff. Obviously if he has a "weak body" this amount of stress can shove you over the edge. I just hope he survives. As annoying as he sometimes was there'd be missing something without Kiriyama's self-proclaimed best friend.
NanashiDec 26, 2017 5:52 PM
Jan 6, 2018 1:39 PM

Dec 2014
nikaido is toughing it up... nice back story
Jan 17, 2018 1:53 PM

Oct 2015
We had a glimpse of Nikaidou and Shimada's background story, and I must say it made me almost sad how passionate Nikaidou about Shogi. Also I'm glad Rei showed concern about him, I really love him because he is so kind and has so much passion and cute. Great ep.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 7, 2018 9:34 AM

May 2017
Best episode of season 2 so far for me. So glad that we got a flashback on Nikaidou's story. The bond between Shidama and Nikaidou is just beautiful. I loved how they potrait the flashback through Shidama perspective. We don't see Rei crying very often, so it was all the more emotional when he cried for Nikaidou.
Mar 28, 2018 7:21 PM

Dec 2015
Hayashida is truly one of the best and coolest teachers!

My heart aches for Nikaidou... I truly respect the resolve he has and see him in a completely new light right now.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 7, 2018 9:16 AM
Dec 2010
It'd be cool if they later went realistic way with Nikaidou's kidney failure (like dialysis or transplant), instead of it being just another generic incurable disease.
Aug 9, 2018 9:36 PM

May 2012
Another episode that ended quite sad with an even more sad backstory! Looking forwards to see what's next though.
Aug 14, 2018 3:47 AM

Mar 2015
Oh poor Nikaidou, hope he can pull through this one.. :(

You can feel Rei galvanizing. Whether it strengthens him or destroys him is another thing though!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 15, 2018 12:42 PM

Feb 2017
Brilliant and sad episode, made me cry. Nikaidou, please... :(
Nov 24, 2018 9:27 PM

Sep 2018
The narrative with the match registry/adventure story analogy at the end, brilliant
Mar 28, 2019 6:11 PM
Apr 2018
I remember Nikaido saying something about being sick but I had never put too much thought into it. It sure is worrysome.
Apr 1, 2019 12:07 PM

Feb 2013
Damn, Nikaidou couldn't get to the finals.
I hope he will get better soon.
Jun 16, 2019 10:10 PM

Sep 2017
Everyone should have a teacher like Hayashida. Someone who truly and fundamentally cares for all, not just his own students. I had such a huge grin on my face watching him get enraged over Hina's shitty homeroom teacher. Him telling Rei to never underestimate a teacher was beautiful in more ways than one. The vast majority of the episode revolved around Nikaidou's loss in the semi-finals. I was hoping he would be able to make it through, but I always had a notion that Nikaidou was going to lose. I never imagined it would be this devastating though. Not only did his disease lose him the match, but this anemic (?) attack is worse than any single one we have seen yet. It's sad to see that Nikaidou has to struggle like this for the remainder of his life. It makes him playing shogi that much more understandable, though. He wants to be the hero of his own story. Rei better win this final match for Nikaidou.
Oct 4, 2019 2:24 PM

Jul 2015
Interesting to see that Nikaidou is pretty similiar to Rei in the way that Shogi is the only thing they are good at and that they both have a great love for it

Sad to see Nikaidou lose due to his illness despite all his hardwork to reach there, all in order to battle his rival Rei

Oct 11, 2019 9:46 AM

May 2013
I love Nikaidou, he’s my favorite. He’s got heart, man
Oct 16, 2019 6:01 PM

Sep 2018
Hayashida throwing tantrum is so cute and funny lol he's like a child! He's a real father figure <3

Nikaidou is so precious huhuhuhu
Jan 23, 2020 9:46 PM
Nov 2018
i LOVED this episode, holy cow. hayashida sensei being a bro as usual and we get a jotaro jojo pose! then we get shimada narrating most of the episode and learning about nikaido. shimada's story was my favorite for season 1, so more of him is great. we learned that nikaido is one of the few people who understands rei. the end with nikaido being an adventurer in shogi, his game results being like a story book and the 2 adventure books he got from shimada, wow. 10/10
Apr 19, 2020 11:55 AM

Oct 2014
Oh my goodness, this was such an emotional, well done episode ToT really happy to be seeing Mr Shimada again too :'3 definitely missed his voice~
Jun 27, 2020 9:47 PM

Oct 2016
What a great episode with the focus on Nikaidou and Kiriyama must now also win for him.

That Jojo's reference though.

And also a One Piece reference, Monkey D. Nikaidou
Sep 16, 2020 1:00 PM

May 2018
Rei homeroom teacher is the best <3 unlike that bitchy stuck up middle school homeroom teacher

So Rei finally knows the truth about Nikaidou, huh. I hope he doesn't have yet another mental breakdown
Feb 5, 2021 4:49 AM
Jul 2018
Another strong episode, I didn't like nikaidou before this but I definitely feel for him now. One flaw I had was that the comedy in the first chapter contrasted too much with the seriousness of the second. It was probably better in the manga.
4/5
Feb 7, 2021 11:05 PM

Jan 2016
nikaidou is a real one
"hes too slow i dont know how hot has his processor but i put some death grips on it and its getting loud its getting lit"
Mar 30, 2021 12:13 PM

Aug 2018
I won't write too much on bullying topic.. Because I have no idea, what is the system in Japanese schools.. In our schools we have social worker, psychologists, and some other staff who'd evaluate situation, would work as a team.. But I don't know Japanese system.. So I won't be commenting much on this..
Only also will say that Hinata's class has no spine.. You can protect other person.. Just be firm.. But I guess, class is full of pussies.. I am surprised, how there are bullies like these, if other class are so afraid.. If it's just small group, it's solvable.. If it's not small group, people will protect each other, because it'll be many groups of people, who always will fight with each other.. But when class is incapable of dealing these themselves.. There is system.. It looks like group of bullies are small, and others are just afraid pussies.. So it's solvable situation..
Teacher in demon form looks nice.. Red skin and stuff suits him.. ;P
Jan 7, 2022 3:53 PM
Nov 2020
Nikaido’s backstory is based a real life Shogi player named Satoshi Murayama who died at 29. He was one of the most talented and most passionate shogi player. Even he knows his life is short, he never stopped playing shogi. "2七銀(means 2-7 silver)". They was his last words.
Dec 11, 2022 12:46 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Damn.

If it wasn't clear before that this season will come in to hit us in the feels, well, it better be clear now.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 11, 2023 6:06 AM

Dec 2022
He play shogi pretending he's fine in front of rei while bearing the incurable disease. The very definition of relentless iron fortress. Ma boi Nikaidou should deserve more
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM

» It's 2024. Any new updates regarding S3?

zero479 - Feb 10

9 by Dark_011 »»
Feb 18, 2:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.