Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 2, 2017 6:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Haha, Rei's homeroom teacher is a hothead.
I like the way they adapted the scenes with the devil gimmick and making fun of the characters' personalities in particular the first half of this episode.

Really glad they focused more on Nikaidou's character this episode. It not only showed his background story but also his connection with Shimada. Really insightful stuff. Nikaidou has been a comic relief but this episode shows him in a different light, one that is important in this season.

ED art for this week
Stark700Dec 2, 2017 7:23 AM
Dec 2, 2017 7:51 AM

Dec 2014
Poor Nikaidou, with all the other drama he was forgotten.
This was the long needed episode focusing on Rei'srival; he was brushed off for most S1, but in S2 he started getting more relevant screen time.
Shimada is finally back too, good to see him doing better after the loss vs Souya.

That last sequence running in the rain ;(
Dec 2, 2017 8:49 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Here was the "Bodoro" collapse for this large match!!!
I hope a final among friends, but not :/
Dec 2, 2017 10:02 AM

Mar 2016
And yet again I am crying.
I really feel for Nikaidou, he is so strong.

"Those two pages... read like an adventure novel".
Dec 2, 2017 10:11 AM

Apr 2016
Homeroom teacher + Aunt + Grandpa, just unleash them!

Good to se Nikaidou focused episode for once.
Dec 2, 2017 10:15 AM

Dec 2014
Absolutely brilliant episode, really emotional one as well.

Loved how Hayashida was got angry after hearing what Hina's homeroom teacher did. I also really liked how Rei realized money can't solve all problems and asked Hayashuda to give him the knowledge he could use to help.
While I suppose it can be inferenced from what we've seen so far, it's good that we got clarification on what happened with the father of the sister's.
Monster Hayashida OP. xDD

Nikaidou's full backstory at least and boy was it heavy, I really felt for the guy. He's always so upbeat and cheerful yet he's the one who struggles the most to get through each day. T.T
I teared up when he started crying after Shimada when he went easy on him. I totally get where he's coming from regarding the whole 'I don't want to be treated like a weakling'. Plus the scene in the hospital was even sadder. :((

The rain sequence was stunning yet very bittersweet. Nikaidou, the true adventurer. T.T
Dec 2, 2017 10:17 AM

Sep 2013
5/5

Another strong episode from this series and it's awesome. I am enjoying this way more than the already amazing last season.

I loved that Rei seeked out his school teacher for advice about Hina's bullying issues. I'm glad that Hayashida reacted appropriately but I think his little comedy sketch of him destroying a city was so much better than last week's. I laughed that he was still sitting on the chair as the demon/monster thing for a second.

And damn, the problems keep stacking up for Rei as Nikaidou is in the hospital now. The back story behind Nikaidou and his illness was really sad too. Poor kid.

The deck is really stacked for Rei now. He's in the finals and not only he's trying to win for Hina but now he has to do it for Nikaidou as well. I wonder how much pressure this must be for him when the finals arrive. I really hope he wins this one.

Dec 2, 2017 10:18 AM

Jun 2015
I love it that Takashi is fired up to help in any way he can. He was ready to give Hina's teacher a piece of his mind. This episode was awesome on focusing on Nikaidou. It was very heart-jerking. He has always been sick, but shogi is what moves him forward. He has a great connection with Shimada. Now that Kiriyama knows everything, he is determined to give Nikaidou a good challenge.
Dec 2, 2017 10:25 AM

Mar 2008
Unleash Hayashida on that other teacher. lol I raged when I heard the sisters dad abandoned them and started a new family. It took everything I had to keep the tears from flowing listening about Nikaidou.
Dec 2, 2017 10:29 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Hayashida is still the greatest teacher. It's the role of a teacher to be a figure a student can rely on when in need, that's what's making him mad. Always amazing to see him support Rei like this.

Nikaidou's backstory was heartwrenching. An incurable disease that makes him feel worthless, yet he wants to fight and not be seen as a weak person.

Shimada judged him early just as the other kids did, he couldn't have known about his condition. The shock on his face when he witnessed it himself was enough. He kept being by his side as a ''teacher'' and Nikaidou being the ''student'' that can rely on him.

Nikaidou is a hero.
Dec 2, 2017 10:53 AM

Sep 2017
The las line of the episode tore me apart. "Those two pages read like an adventure novel." It pains me so muh to see that Nikaido had to forfeit his match because of his illness after such a journey to fight Kiriyama, and that line shows just how badly he wanted to win. Even if I knew how persistent he was, my respect for him has gone through the roof in this episode.

It's kind of weird really. He was so upbeat all the time that it was so easy to forget that he had some serious problems to deal with, even if they weren't outright explained until now. It was easy to see that his health was very fragile. I supose he succeeded in making us see him as a talented, passionate shogi player and not as a sick boy we should feel sorry for.
Dec 2, 2017 10:58 AM

Jul 2013
The stuff with Nikaidou was really heartbreaking, yet admirable at the same time. Despite how much his illness was affecting him, he managed to remain playing till the very end, when he lost all his strenghts and had to be taken to the hospital. With how cheerful he normally is, one forgets life has fucked him very badly too.
The flashback where Shimada tells how he met him and how he at first view Nikaidou as a rich kid who only played shogi because he had nothing else to do and would eventually left it, just to realize later he played it because it was one of the few things he could did (since, otherwise, he was unable to do things that other kids of his age were able to did) was sad. Hell, even the circunstances who made him become a shogi player were not that different to the ones of Rei, since both decided to join that world to survive, in a way (Rei because it was the only thing who could save him from his loneliness, and Nikaidou because that was the only way he could became "an hero").

The scene when Rei reads the report of the match, he starts to cry and imagines Nikaidou as a bold adventurer in a ship managed to take some tears from my eyes. Damn you, 3-gatsu...
Now I'm rooting even more for Rei during his eventual match against the bald dude.

It was nice to see Shimada reappear officially after his brief appearance in the second episode of this season.

The comic relief moments of the beginning with Hayasida-sensei were funny as always, though, the transition from the usual, silly conversation they usually have to the words Rei remembered about the Kawamoto's father when Akari told what he did was... "dark". The father looks like a complete scumbag.

Rohan, is that you?!

Also, the endcard of Hajime Ueda this week is fantastic. I was actually wondering if the series would feature an illustration made by him someday, since apart of the Monogatari endings, he has made endcards for other Shaft animes like Madoka or Nisekoi, and I'm glad to see I was right.
Dec 2, 2017 11:13 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Nice episode. Pretty sad to see the struggle of how Nikaidou's life has been given the disease he has. :(
Dec 2, 2017 11:28 AM

Jan 2013
Bodoro better not take that turn for the worse....he better not

Dec 2, 2017 11:29 AM

Apr 2014
With a strong source material SHAFT is truly unstoppable.
Dec 2, 2017 11:32 AM

May 2016
Wow This could get a 10 from me seriously the way describing everything is so beautiful, Bodoro please get better Rei needs you and Hina I hope everything gets better soon.
Dec 2, 2017 11:50 AM
Mar 2015
Glad they finally share Nikadou's condition with Rei. respects him enough that it will not affect his play. Rei is almost an adult and needs to be treated like an adult who can handle learning about bullying and incurable illnesses not protected
Dec 2, 2017 11:58 AM

Jul 2014
A bit of an unexpected diversion from the bullying situation this week (for the most part, anyway), but I don't particularly mind considering the quality of what we got instead: Nikaidou is a character who deserves far more screen time than what he gets, and the execution of this backstory was excellent and emotional, particularly that line of how he played "like an adventure novel" in his determination to face Kiriyama. We've seen bits and pieces of his illness before, but seeing him affected by it at such a significant moment really makes it sink in how vulnerable he is, yet it makes him all the more admirable for his determination to fight on and prove his worth in shogi, however difficult it may be for him.
Dec 2, 2017 12:16 PM

Apr 2013
This episode was so beautiful. To be honest I got kind of bored with hina-chan's story but it's still good anyways so with Nikaidou centered story I fell in love with anime once again. My best boi Shimada appearing again..love him. Also, is this a m.f Jojo reference?
Dec 2, 2017 12:18 PM

Aug 2016
Damn that last scene was nice. I feel like I've cried almost every episode. Truly the best anime of 2017.
Nanika ga Okashii
Dec 2, 2017 1:05 PM

Jan 2014
I always found his yelling really annoying, but damn I almost cried this episode.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 2, 2017 1:25 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.
Hayashida Sensei is the best. LOL that JoJo Reference.

Sad to see that Nikaidou's illness is getting worse.

"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Dec 2, 2017 1:31 PM

Nov 2014
I cried from Nikaidou's life.
Dec 2, 2017 1:44 PM

Sep 2015
I love the episode, and this series as a whole, but are we ever going to know what Nikaidou is suffering from? I always thought it was just anemia.

This isn't another Clannad situation, where I cry my eyes out and the illness still has no information by the end. Thankfully, RC Anime cleared that up for us, but still.
Dec 2, 2017 2:02 PM

Jun 2014
Lol Hayashida with that Jojo reference. It's even better since he and Rohan share the same VA.

Nikaidou's backstory was explored in this episode and it was quite sad. Shogi is one of the few things he can actually participate in without worrying too much about his illness getting in the way, yet it still ended up getting in the way. He worked so hard to try and go up against Rei and the chance was taken from him in a heartbeat. I feel sorry for him, hopefully he'll pull through.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 2, 2017 4:00 PM
Oct 2016
We finally get to know a little bit about the father of the Kawamoto sisters.. I liked that, since I was really wondering why was he never mentioned..until now.

The second part of the episode had me tearing up. With episodes like this, Sangatsu no Lion is definitely the best one of Fall 2017.. for me at least :)
Dec 2, 2017 5:03 PM
Jan 2017
Character model of Nikaido Harunobu
Satoshi Murayama(1969-1998),professional Shogi player
He is diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome, at 5 years old
Japan Shogi Association's Apprentice School Passed(14 years old)
Professional shogi player certified 17 years old
1998, he died of cancer, 29 years old (final ranking is A - 1 grade)
His last words 2七銀(silver general-2g)

A movie based on his lifetime was made, in 2016
Dec 2, 2017 5:11 PM

Oct 2012
Really depressing episode and even Shaft was pretty suggestive in their storytelling... now we only have to wonder how much longer does he endures before he looses his life for sure (as that certainly happens in the future). Dunno if this series would be enjoyable to watch by then. But they'll probably have their one last shoughi play with each other before that happens.

The part with his teacher was interesting too, wonder how Kiriyama saves Hina the next time.
Dec 2, 2017 6:13 PM

Oct 2013
So awful all around. Kiriyama now has to handle Hina's bully issue, along with discovering that Nikaidou has fallen gravely ill!

The girls' father is a real POS, but it's an all to common situation IRL.

Great use of rain near the end. Reminiscent of Kurosawa.
Dec 2, 2017 6:47 PM

Mar 2016
Well, the request for Rei to not go easy on Nikaidou in Shogi is pretty easy to fulfill. Rei has never been able to go easy on someone in Shogi up to now.

The game that Shimada is describing in the flashback is likely Nikaido's game against Rei, given that Kiriyama remembers Shimada as having lectured at a children's tournament, this was in the previous season. Small world.
YuriSpacePirateDec 2, 2017 8:10 PM
Dec 2, 2017 9:02 PM
Mar 2016
glad this arc didnt focus only for Bullying
Newcomer King Arc is the best arc
How Nikaido struggle
and Rei aiming the Highest Place

NeonCountess said:
We finally get to know a little bit about the father of the Kawamoto sisters.. I liked that, since I was really wondering why was he never mentioned..until now.

The second part of the episode had me tearing up. With episodes like this, Sangatsu no Lion is definitely the best one of Fall 2017.. for me at least :)

well if this season 3gatsu has 25 eps, maybe we will arrive arc when kawamoto sister dad appear
i hope that arc adapted but at same time hope it dont adapted
enough with one unenjoyable arc, Bulliying arc, on this season :(
NdanHMDec 2, 2017 9:21 PM
Dec 2, 2017 10:15 PM

Dec 2015
This anime really made me care for the characters inside it
I dont really care for nikaidou for all this time , but this episode really make me feel sad for him
Everyone have their own suffering/problem
Dec 2, 2017 10:24 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode progressing both plotlines. Really hope he wins the tournament
Dec 3, 2017 2:16 AM
Nov 2016
Hayashida Sensei is the real MVP.
It seems like they changed Shimada's character design a bit because he looks younger this season...

We got Nikaidou's backstory and his way of playing shogi.
Dec 3, 2017 7:21 AM

May 2015
The Teacher of Kiriyama is some good shiet. :D

I'm not a fan of Nikaidou so the rest was meh.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 3, 2017 7:25 AM

Jan 2017
Everytime I think I can't love this story any more I am proven wrong.
Since there was no Hina in this one I thought this would be a tear free episode for me.... wrong again!

I am glad Rei knows about Nikaidou's struggles now. but, damn... right in the feels.
Also, my love and respect for Hayasida-sensei grows every epioside he is in!
Dec 3, 2017 7:26 AM

Sep 2014
When I saw chibi nikaido I was like "cute!" Then I realised this will be a deathflag and I was like, "oh no!"

The storytelling of this anime is just superb. I feel really sorry for everyone who is missing out on this because "its about shogi" or because they find the design off-putting.

Great artwork at the end, I guess once the bully situation is solved, the story will shift back to his sister.

PS: today I learned Shimada is not Nikaiodos real brother
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 3, 2017 7:55 AM

Oct 2017
This anime can be considered as a masterpiece of character building. Such a great series and it keeps getting better and better.
Dec 3, 2017 7:59 AM

Nov 2015
This was truly a beautiful episode and I like how they sometimes show other characters from a different light.

Also, do they release clear versions of the ED art? I really want it as a background! Edit: Found it under "Special"
DodokoceDec 3, 2017 8:41 AM
Dec 3, 2017 8:43 AM

Jul 2013
Dodokoce said:
This was truly a beautiful episode and I like how they sometimes show other characters from a different light.

Also, do they release clear versions of the ED art? I really want it as a background! Edit: Found it under "Special"
They are avaliable in the webpage of the series, here is the clear illustration of this episode, by example.

Edit: Nevermind, you found it already, sorry.
Dec 3, 2017 8:45 AM

Nov 2015
Illyricus said:
They are avaliable in the webpage of the series, here is the clear illustration of this episode, by example.

Thanks anyway! :D
Dec 3, 2017 8:59 AM

Jul 2013
Dodokoce said:
Illyricus said:

Thanks anyway! :D
Hahaha! You're welcome ;)
Dec 3, 2017 9:46 AM

Nov 2016
Lmao,the JoJo reference nailed it.

Great and saddening episode once again,this show truly doesn't have any uninteresting characters and backround story. Nikaidou is such a respectable and strong character,kudos to him and the fight he's putting on.

ED card looked awesome too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 3, 2017 10:26 AM
Aug 2017
We finally get more character development for Nikaidou.
Dec 3, 2017 11:08 AM
Apr 2016
I bet after winning (or losing to have this battle with Nikaido next year, which is obviously against what the kid wants), Kiriyama will play with Nikaido at the hospital starting from where the sheet ended.
FMmatron said:

Great and saddening episode once again,this show truly doesn't have any uninteresting characters and backround story. Nikaidou is such a respectable and strong character,kudos to him and the fight he's putting on.

Not everything is a darn JoJo reference, really...
Re:formed
Dec 3, 2017 11:14 AM

Nov 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
I bet after winning (or losing to have this battle with Nikaido next year, which is obviously against what the kid wants), Kiriyama will play with Nikaido at the hospital starting from where the sheet ended.
FMmatron said:

Not everything is a darn JoJo reference, really...

Well, nothing I can do,when it most likely was one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 3, 2017 2:15 PM

Feb 2014
Hayashida is what a true teacher should be like. He's passion about wanting to help Hina in any way he can was very satisfying, also including the fact that he wants to meet her homeroom teacher and give her a piece of his mind too! XD

Kiriyama did mention to him about the Kawamoto's father though. He is alive, but after finding a new girlfriend, he literally left the household for good and started a new family elsewhere. People who do that really makes my blood boil. D<

Apart from that, since the focus went back to shogi, I thought that would be it for the heavy drama and sad moments of the episode. I was wrong though....VERY wrong.

Sadly, Nikaidou lost his semi-final match and Kiriyama eventually found out the reason why. Nikaidou has an incurable disease that he wanted to keep a secret from Kiriyama all this time. Upon learning this, as well as seeing in the flashback of how Shimada first met Nikaidou, my heart really sank with sadness, with a few tears shed along the way too.

I hope that Nikaidou gets better soon. As for Kiriyama, I do hope he wins the finals and if he does win, I wonder if he'll dedicate the win to Nikaidou...that would be an emotional moment if that happened. =)
Dec 3, 2017 2:24 PM
Sep 2015
I wish I had a tezcher like Hayashida.
I feel bad for the sisters. They have no mother or father.

Nikaidou is sick, I'd never have guessed it because his personality makes him look like a rich spoiled brat.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that is SHOCKED that Nikaidou is not really brothers with Shimada? I thought they were biological brothers.

Also, why is shogi played by men only? I mean, I saw some girls in the elementary shogi tournament, but I've never seen Rei play against a woman. Maybe it's not popular with females?
Dec 3, 2017 3:14 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Quite a reaction from Rei's teacher though but then again Hina's homeroom teacher is just that bad of a teacher. Wanting to help Hina but not knowing how must be hard for Rei though. The father sure sounds like a jerk though just leaving Akari and her sisters. Getting advice from a teacher though was the best step though. Doing what you can is good advice. Nikaido's health has always been poor to start with and the rank matches only added more pressure. The manner of how Shimada met Nikaido though sure was interesting. So the reason Nikaido focused so much on Shogi was because his illness makes it impossible for him to do anything else then. Kinda sad really. But this was an interesting episode that not only showed Rei's continued actions to help Hina but also showed Nikaido's struggles as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2017 3:23 PM

Nov 2015
Another brilliant episode. U can feel the emotion that Kiriyama felt when he found out about Nikaidou. Also we need to solve this bullying problem. I cant tolerate Hina being so sad and depressed for doing something good.

"The longer you live, the more you realize that reality is just made of pain, suffering, and emptiness." -Madara Uchiha
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 3-gatsu no Lion is getting a season 3 ( 1 2 )

ranzer - May 26, 2020

68 by Gaurxv »»
Yesterday, 4:56 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.