Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
May 12, 2020 8:35 PM

May 2019
The best part was Sensei showing sense of humour again.
May 14, 2020 9:29 AM

Oct 2015
So Phos got strong and also became dead inside? I can honestly see none of the old Phos now, and nobody seems to mind it? I guess one could attribute it to him losing both arms but he was still childish up until Antarc got taken even though the memories were also lost back then.

Anyway he might actually be stronger than Bort right now, or at least has the potential to be stronger than Bort. That golden-platinum alloy is really OP if he were to master it.
Jul 21, 2020 8:30 PM
Aug 2018
Well this episode was a slap in the fucking face to the audience. What was the point in watching the previous 8 episodes?

I thought the anime was great up to this point, I honestly had no flaws with it. But to completely change Phos's character? It's not "character development", it's a complete fucking betrayal. Character development takes place over a long time, not the next fucking episode, off-screen and in a time-skip

She has no personality now, the old Phos had so much personality and was so engaging and the "underdog" which made her easy to root for. Even if she was still OP, I wouldn't have much problem with it if she was still the same fucking character. What's the point of watching now? Why do I give a shit about this character? I don't care that she cut her hair or her eyes completely fucking changed, her character was one of the main things I liked about this show and she may as well have been killed off

Anyway fuck this, I'm dropping this show after this episode
Sep 6, 2020 9:43 AM

Jan 2013
I love how Phos went from being serious (since losing Antarc) to just messing around with the rest of the gems as soon as they woke up.
Just shows how much pain she was going through by itself.

As for and (and I'm sure a few more) complaining about Phos' character change, it's exactly because Phos lost Antarc and was forced to go through Winter alone, where-as normally Phos was always the gem that was teased for being lazy, weak and not useful, basically a plaything for the other gems.
Also because Phos lost a fair amount of memories now with losing it's arms and legs AND the gold / platinum alloy changing Phos even more, seeing as they commented on it's height difference and what not.

Nov 6, 2020 9:31 AM

Dec 2019
I Dont like Phos new hairstyle why. And everyone kinda switched up on her they reallly didnt care about her too much untill she had those new arms
Jan 5, 2021 4:20 PM

May 2020
I like this new design! (Though I kinda like the old one more) Phos became popular real quick too
Jan 19, 2021 6:58 AM

Sep 2020
I kinda like how Phos acts now better than he did before.. i hope thats not mean but he's like more mature and ahisodfhasdfs its just cool
Feb 14, 2021 3:21 PM

May 2020
While I enjoy the mature transition of Pho, I miss the goofy, lazy cute Pho... the new PTSD Pho is cool and all, but no longer has that goofy charm. Bring back goofy Pho!
I say goodbye unto you,
And with this parting,
My most beautiful dream dies inside me...
But I tell you goodbye,
For the rest of life,
Even if I spend all life thinking about you.
Mar 13, 2021 1:44 AM

Feb 2020
Funny episode. The gems playing with the new Phos was so hilarious. xD They looked so cute when they got scared of her new abilities.

SerafosJan 13, 5:07 AM
Jul 5, 2021 10:43 PM

Jan 2020
1/5

I hate this.

I understand why phos changed and all but I hate it. That depressed and emotionless personality is one that I despise and this series is no exception. I miss the old phos. What an utter disappointment. I hate her new design too

Phos looks super strong now though.. like wow. I didn't expected the arms to be so overpowered lmao

Jul 20, 2021 4:47 AM

Apr 2018
A lot of things happend this episode. Everyone woke up, saw the new Phos and started assaulting her LOL. One wanted to fix her, the other one wanted to touch her e and what more. It felt like a slice of life for a bit. Made me smile a lot. But, Phos changed a lot. His stronger than ever. In the inside, Phos is still the same.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 23, 2021 6:04 AM

Feb 2020
I handled Antarcticite's death pretty well, so I thought I could handle Phos' drastic change as well... But that's actually painful.
My baby. My precious ball of innocence. Look at them now. All strong but all depressed. Let me hug them. (It's still reassuring to see they still have some of their adorable dorky self, though it seems to be more of a facade than anything...)

I also find that very sad how gems are only now treating Phos like an actual person and keep reminding them of how much they've changed. They were so much happier before, now they're finally accepted, but at what cost ?
Plus, the gems aren't even treating them as an equal, they're basically just a toy with their stretchy arms. Poor thing.
And the look on Bort's face is worrying me, it looks like they're jealous of Phos' new popularity, I hope they're not planning anything bad.
Sep 22, 2021 7:26 AM

Mar 2016
Phosphophyllite has significantly changed both ins and outs. She is far more capable than all of the gems when it comes to reconnaissance, defence and offence due to her alloy. In fact, one might say that she has become OP! In addition to that, her mannerism has become more elegant and refined, she's no longer the childish and immature pain in the ass that she once was. No more endless days of messing about it, there exist only work from here on out. For that, it's great that her fellow gems are so intrigued about her metamorphosis, they bring in the careless joy and casual acts of friendship that would be void in this new Phos.

Out of all the gems, Bort became the one who could relate to Phos the most being the strongest one before Phos' transformation. Though despite that, as can be seen in the end, I do not think that Bort took this change idly. I sense that she is beginning to feel jealousy toward Phos now that she can effortlessly and singlehandedly dispatched an entire Lunarian attack, a feat once was only possible for Bort to execute.

So this golden metal isn't just gold alone, it's platinum-gold alloy! The most wear-resistant metal in the world and is 100 times more durable than high-strength steel. It's said that this alloy is in the same class as diamond and sapphire, only that in this story, the alloy can be formed into various forms because of how Phos can alter its fluidity and shape. For that fact alone, Phos has become one of if not the strongest combatant on Earth, if it's not already clear.

Although Phos has become less apathetic, she still retains some of her personality, as the only gem that can physically cry, she's the most 'human' out of the gems.
Dec 21, 2021 9:08 AM
Nov 2020
Say hello to 'Punished Phos.' Rather than saying the old Phos is dead, I'd put it like reality hitting a kid in the face with a hammer. This series has some of the best character development I've seen in any series. The old Phos is still there, but now it is covered by layers and layers of experience mixed with PTSD.
Apr 23, 2022 5:54 AM

May 2020
Damn this episode, really liked this sudden transition in Phos's character. Waiting all the way through 9 episodes was definitely worth. Though i guess him losing a good part of his memory does play a role in it.

Also that reaction from Bort in the end was within expectations.
May 22, 2022 11:59 AM

Nov 2016
ManWild said:
1/5

I hate this.

I understand why phos changed and all but I hate it. That depressed and emotionless personality is one that I despise and this series is no exception. I miss the old phos. What an utter disappointment. I hate her new design too

Phos looks super strong now though.. like wow. I didn't expected the arms to be so overpowered lmao

I'm also no big fan of radical personality changes, especially not fond of gloomy characters. But there are plenty of people totally into that because they can relate or some bs along these lines. On the bright side of things, it works for me here and Phos is finally kicking ass.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 17, 2022 6:31 PM

Jan 2011
gold power up, i am wondering if the lunarians are even a threat at this point, she seems too OP even Bort seems jelous of her now
Aug 25, 2022 10:12 AM
Dec 2020
New Phos is OP but old Phos was hilarious. If they find her hands maybe she'll return(?)
Animation has been amazing
Nov 18, 2022 6:03 PM

Oct 2022
That scene where all the gems gather around the table and Sensei picks up Jade..... So adorable! It's funny seeing the gems acting more childlike while Phos is acting serious, and a little sad too.

Apr 18, 2023 9:02 PM
Feb 2021
What a goated turn of events. It's insane that Phos has basically done a complete 180 and there's so much left. Not sure how the next few episodes will pan out, but damn, I never expected things to move this quickly even though now it feels somewhat inevitable. I guess, because Phos was able to cry, that the fleshies, Moon people, and gem people are all just human "spirit" or whatever bound to very adaptable flesh or gems. Idk what the moon people are though.
Aug 7, 2023 11:21 PM
Jun 2023
those rocks huh..
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

315 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Yesterday, 11:00 AM

» Not at 500,000 viewers after 6 years :(

ghier - Dec 2, 2023

29 by APolygons2 »»
Feb 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

147 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:29 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

98 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

108 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.