Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 19, 2010 10:32 PM

Aug 2009
I thought it'd be nice to have a topic to discuss the manga in general without going chapter by chapter.

I'm liking this story so far, though I can't stand Momoi. I already began to hate her after the first volume because of her selfishness and hypocritical views. Her horrible personality just keeps getting more emphasized by the volume.

As a BL fan, I like the idea of Akira and Senbongi being a couple even if he returned to his regular body. I've always been a fan of the friends-to-lovers relationship, and boy-love seems like it would make the relationship hotter!! I'm just saying!!
Apr 13, 2011 3:08 AM

Dec 2009
Ya, I hate Momoi too. I don't know why Akira continues to like her.

Akira should just give into his situation and be with Senbogni!

It's funny, I am in no way into boy/boy relationships or anything like that, but I just absolutely LOVE girlAkira and Senbogni together! I think it is adorable and hilarious how frustrated Akira gets, and Senbogni is just loving it XD

ロバートさんはあなたのたましいを食べます。(Robert will eat your soul.)

Apr 26, 2012 12:57 PM

Dec 2011
Senbongi :r :r
If I could select most hated characters on MAL, he would definitely be one of them.
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Make a contract with me... /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
May 6, 2012 9:58 AM

Dec 2009
How can someone hate Senbongi?; he is actually funny trying to make Akira fall in love with him... even knowing the girl he likes is his childhood friend.

As for Momoi, well, can't comment anything about him or her. I can only say is that Akira should give up and stay in Momoi's body, he is too effeminate for be a man.
May 23, 2012 8:45 AM

Dec 2009
I can see why people would hate him. All of his (basically) rape attempts before he knew Akira was Momoi were pretty despicable. At first I didn't like him because of that. But after seeing how happy he always was when Akira would give in for a while, and how much he really loves him, made me change my mind.

So I would say, first half Senbongi was despicable, second half Senbogni is funny and likeable XD

ロバートさんはあなたのたましいを食べます。(Robert will eat your soul.)

Oct 20, 2021 6:31 PM
Jul 2020
Considering the negative reviews for YAMS are pretty much accurate, anybody should seriously reconsider reading this series.

Right off the bat, the gender-bending factor is what makes this story stand out, but it’s painfully obvious how dated this manga is. Keep in mind, this manga came out in 2001.

When LGBTQs concerned, societies advanced from ignorant views since the early 2000s. There is homophobia and transphobia portrayed in this manga that would not fly by as easily in today’s world. We see what Ai Morinaga was trying to achieve by creating this story, but this was far from being supportive of the LGBTQ community. There was so much that could’ve been explored but it is so poorly executed throughout the entire manga. The whole manga was a comedic trope, with biased dialogue degrading the LGBTQ community, which honestly isn't fair.

And b o y are the double standards awful in this manga.

The 2000s was a very weird time where people were raving about “virginity” and how normalized it was for women to be suppressed to explore their sexuality, (even though Akira was born as a male). Momoi literally admitted that she was hooking up with random girls in Akira’s body, and then lectures Akira not to go off having sex with anyone. The sexism and misogyny is very evident here. Momoi is a straight up hypocrite and put Akira through such psychological abuse. I understand that double standards were not as verbal as it is today, but to even reflect how a male identifying person such as Akira was deemed as a "pervert" because of the switch is just completely insulting. The gross stereotypes are so prominent here and it was hard to read through it. I think the only redeeming quality Momoi had was being a catalyst to Akira so he can "accept" his sexuality and come to terms with becoming "comfortable" as a woman. His sexual orientation and identity were not properly explored. I am ok with the fact Momoi was very accepting of the body switch and there was enough room for her character development (to a point), but Akira deserved so much more.

Every character was hypocritical, especially Senbongi. As you can see from other reviews of 'Your and My Secret', Senbongi tries to rape Akira multiple times as a comedic trope.

Everyone sucked, and the story sucked. I felt bad for Akira who absolutely did not have the character development to explore if he truly wanted to switch permanently as a woman or was just gay who identified as a male. He was strung through all the bullshit. This manga had potential for greater things but it was truly dated for its time. I honestly can not imagine this manga coming out in 2021. Ai Morinaga would be canceled so fast.

People should avoid this problematic manga if possible. There are much better manga out there that are supportive of the LGBTQ community.
azenobioSep 22, 2022 3:38 AM

More topics from this board

» This series deserves an anime~

mizrock - Jul 16, 2008

3 by azenobio »»
Oct 21, 2021 5:21 PM

Poll: » Boku to Kanojo no XXX Chapter 69 Discussion

Mayuka - Apr 2, 2016

3 by azenobio »»
Oct 21, 2021 4:11 PM

Poll: » Boku to Kanojo no XXX Chapter 28 Discussion

QuadFlatPack - Dec 18, 2016

1 by azenobio »»
Oct 19, 2021 11:15 AM

Poll: » Boku to Kanojo no XXX Chapter 29 Discussion

azenobio - Oct 19, 2021

0 by azenobio »»
Oct 19, 2021 5:12 AM

Poll: » Boku to Kanojo no XXX Chapter 39 Discussion

QuadFlatPack - Dec 19, 2016

0 by QuadFlatPack »»
Dec 19, 2016 3:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.