Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2017 10:04 PM

May 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
With limited movements due to this being a claymation along with the very dark lighting, it was hard to decipher what was happening if there was even a story to it. Overall, it looked really messy in a mediocre experimental kind of way like it was intended, but I don't really see it as a good thing.

The Dunwich Horror was okay but the other two made little sense. Since H.P. Lovecraft is one of the fathers of Horror, which is one of my favorite genres, I think I'd be better off reading the novels instead.
Kajo_Senpai69Nov 30, 2017 10:09 PM

Oct 6, 2018 10:00 PM

Jul 2017
I haven't read a bunch of Lovecraft stuff; I'm put off by his eugenics-based ideas, his racism, and his odd wordings. This was a great film though. The odd claymation stillness enhanced these stories. I really liked The Picture in the House, especially that blood dripping and the threatening old man. The Dunwich Horror was fairly good, but the end was not as good as the first half, especially the odd Wilbur. The Festival was like a dream with very little plot, though the end was okay. I liked Jim O'rourke's score.
Jun 6, 2019 8:37 AM
Mar 2017
satyrelfheim said:
I haven't read a bunch of Lovecraft stuff; I'm put off by his eugenics-based ideas, his racism, and his odd wordings. This was a great film though. The odd claymation stillness enhanced these stories. I really liked The Picture in the House, especially that blood dripping and the threatening old man. The Dunwich Horror was fairly good, but the end was not as good as the first half, especially the odd Wilbur. The Festival was like a dream with very little plot, though the end was okay. I liked Jim O'rourke's score.
Lovecraft has its flaws with its racism, its conservative and reactionary attitude but all writers of the past even the most avant-garde have the prejudices of their times, in addition the merits of Lovecraftian horror are greater than the author's personal shortcomings.
Jun 6, 2019 10:48 PM

Jul 2017
Rust_Cohle said:
satyrelfheim said:
Lovecraft has its flaws with its racism, its conservative and reactionary attitude but all writers of the past even the most avant-garde have the prejudices of their times, in addition the merits of Lovecraftian horror are greater than the author's personal shortcomings.

Lovecraft's racism goes pretty far though in terms of his writing often taking themes from it. "Polaris" prominently uses a racial epithet and threatens the reader with a non-white invasion. "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" showcases the author's fear of miscegenation. Other works showcase a belief in demon worship by indigenous cultures. It's one thing for an author to have these beliefs (and Lovecraft sure had some pretty bad beliefs) and it's another when the theme of the work, the source of the horror in a horror story, stems from a far-right belief system. Interestingly, it seems as if he reformed at the end of his life to a more neutral position. Unfortunately, his actual written works still leave me a bit uncomfortable. You can find similar works with similar themes without the same far-right slant.
Jun 9, 2019 12:16 PM

Nov 2017
It was pretty good; I liked the look of the claymation alongside Lovecraft's stories. I'd definitely watch an entire series depicting all of his stories like this if it were ever done.

The "Dunwich Horror" raised it to an 8 for me; I especially liked the visual of Wilbur Whateley melting after his death. (Although I may be slightly biased since the "Dunwich Horror" is one of my preferred Lovecraft works alongside "The Shadow Out of Time" followed by the "Mound" in second place.)
Oct 26, 2019 6:50 PM

Feb 2014
The narration during the Dunwich Horror was pretty good.
Dec 1, 2019 7:53 PM
May 2019
Hmm, this was quite silly. Didn't see any reason to make this claymation styled, especially when it's supposed to be horror. Otherwise, most of it was ok.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.