Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 29, 2017 8:26 AM

There aren't that many in the first place (many horror tagged anime are action packed) but have you ever been scared or creeped out by any horror scene?
I'm a scaredy cat (I also live alone) and from time to time there is a scene or two that creeps me out. For example Magata Shiki from Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider (if you recall that certain scene).

Nov 29, 2017 8:29 AM

You can try Another or Corpse Party. Those are the best horror anime there is. I think horror anime is not a big contributor to the anime industry. They always failed in scaring the audience. Looking for a great horror anime out there but none.

I heard there was a development of many horror anime in the future.

Nov 29, 2017 8:42 AM

WizMacer said:
You can try Another or Corpse Party. Those are the best horror anime there is. I think horror anime is not a big contributor to the anime industry. They always failed in scaring the audience. Looking for a great horror anime out there but none.

Another is hillarious tho ( too much death make it hillarious for me :)
Junji Ito Anime could be a good horror but I kinda doubt it will be that horrifying without Junji Ito's detail

For OP i recommend you check out Shiki, Yami Shibai, Higurashi, Memories (1995)

Because we're stupid that we love to have fun

Nov 29, 2017 8:45 AM
Horror is never scary to me even in live-action (at bst it can be disturbing) aside from jumpscares and those are just a physical reaction and I hate horror that uses them because it's just cheap. I generally don't like the genre, the only way you can make it appealing to me is if there's focus on mystery aspects.

WizMacer said:

If those two are the best horror anime it's even worse than I thought. Corpse Party is just a gore fest that is completely not scary and Another ends up becoming a parody of Final Destination in the second half that made me laugh more than even some comedies did. Another was very good at establishing a very creepy and mysterious atmosphere early on, but then threw it all away for garbage in the second half. A shame really because I do think the first half had one of the best horror atmospheres in the medium.

Imo if you want to talk about good horror anime that were at least consistent from start to finish and didn't just rely on gore for a shock factor there's:

1. Higurashi Series
2. Ghost Hunt
3. Mononoke
4. Shiki
5. Perfect Blue

I mean I didn't really find them scary either just like Another and Corpse Party, but at least they were good anime :>

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Nov 29, 2017 8:46 AM

Not really, the best animation can do is be creepy or unsettling, it won't actually scare me. Only live action can look real enough to do that.
"Should I be concerned over the obvious delight our daughter takes in the ultra-violence?"
"It's genetic"
-Red Arrow to Cheshire (Young Justice)

Nov 29, 2017 8:48 AM

Already watched some of those. Thanks for replying. I repeat not many good horror anime out there to scare you. Just a killing or gore fest-kind.

Nov 29, 2017 8:57 AM

I think it can be as scary as horror movies can be. Although I'm still not all that much affected by the genre. But even the most reknowned horror movies tend to just end up boring me, at least horror anime has a far better track record of passing the first hurdle of getting me engaged in the story. And then the better stuff, like Narutaru, Higurashi, Shin Sekai Yori and so forth can certainly hit "creepy", "unsettling", "disturbing" and such.

Nov 29, 2017 9:07 AM

WizMacer said:
Already watched some of those. Thanks for replying. I repeat not many good horror anime out there to scare you. Just a killing or gore fest-kind.

Sadly this is true. It's realy hard to find a good horror anime. Even in manga horror is really hard to get it right.
BTW had you watch Gregory Horror Show ? It's more disturbing than scary but it's really good.
Modified by podetus, Nov 29, 2017 9:11 AM
Because we're stupid that we love to have fun

Nov 29, 2017 9:09 AM

Shiki has some creepy moment that geniunely kinda scared me off a bit, especially that Megumi scene and that crazy doctor wife scenes. I could never forgot those.

Also Tasogare Otome x Amnesia susprisingly has some creepy moment. It's the ghost past. And the ghost shadow was certainly creepy.

Shinsekai Yori also has some scenes that freaked me out.
OTP: Kid x Law | Katsuki x Izuku | Erwin x Levi | Hide x Kaneki | Sanada x Yukimura | See more!

» My doujinshi collection
» Favorite Boku no Hero Academia doujinshi

"There is only a few things in this world that I actually care. First is my family, second is my husbandos, third is my OTPs, and fourth is my two best friends. So yeah idgaf about your opinion, extras :)"

Nov 29, 2017 9:10 AM

Watching horror shows at night can make me scared but not that much.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Nov 29, 2017 9:12 AM

Higurashi, Elfen Lied, and Another were pretty disturbing to me but that's just my opinion.

Nov 29, 2017 9:18 AM

pgmhecateii said:
Nah, I'm actually still kinda scared of the dark (my stupid imagination in the dark) but no horror anime scares me. Only Corpse Party creeps me out a little, but that's all. I'm planning on watching Higurashi and Subete ga F but I don't think they'll be scary.

Well, because I am scared of the dark, horror stuff scares me. I can't watch horror movies alone (Not that they are good to begin with. Only action or slashers nowadays). As for anime, maybe only a few scenes.

Nov 29, 2017 9:18 AM

Forgive me if I'm being off-topic but the animation that scared and creeped me out the most was Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Nov 29, 2017 10:44 AM

Idk, read Uzumaki from Junji Ito and tell me if you find it scary, that manga deserves a separate genre from ordinary horror

Nov 29, 2017 10:47 AM

maybe, just maybe i've been looking at the wrong horror anime but damn the best they can do is a scarejump. i'm not affected by gore tho, again maybe i haven't seen the right gore to be disgusted by them.

Nov 29, 2017 10:57 AM

I used to watch a lot of horror movies and sometimes anime but dunno, since one year or so i'm kinda immune to it. Horror don't really scares me anymore. Similar as to how i used to suffer watching romance melodrama but they make me ewwwwww nowadays

but i'll say here that while not really being scary, the last third of Shiki is brutal to watch. I felt bad for the characters

I tried to read Ito too, but can't really take it seriously. My experience with two of his manga can be summoned up as "eek" when there's some gross expressions, and me trying not to sleep with the boring plot and characters
Modified by greymood, Nov 29, 2017 11:00 AM

Nov 29, 2017 11:21 AM

Well for me Japanese horrors only succeed when they manage to create that creepy, disturbing atmosphere, like in Perfect Blue, Higurashi or Shiki. Jumpscares and gore alone (like in Elfen Lied or Corpse Party) are not enough to affect me.

Nov 29, 2017 1:01 PM

I have watch dozens on horror anime and none of them have ever remotely scared me. The only one that stood out to me was "pupa" not because it was scary or good but it was absolutely terrible.

Nov 29, 2017 1:08 PM

I was absolutely terrified when watching Utsu Musume Sayuri. Anyone who says that anime isn't scary should really take a look at this.

Nov 29, 2017 1:32 PM

WizMacer said:

I hope you are not serious about Corpse Party. It's good if you want a good laugh or two, especially if you watch it with a friend, but it's beyond awful and predictable af. The tag on that anime is an insult to actual horror movies/series.

Nov 29, 2017 1:35 PM

While I don't watch a lot of horror (like, I can count the ones I've seen on one hand) I've watched some that I liked.

Usually, to me, horror anime haven't been scary, just really unsettling.
Corpse Party for example, never once was I ever "scared" watching it, the amount of gore and all the stuff going on was just unsettling really.
Higurashi no Naku koro ni, the anime that actually made me almost entirely stop watching horror ever again, it was mostly just unsettling to me, certain scenes made me feel ill.

Only ones I've watched after Higurashi are:
Corpse Party (meh, games are better... and actually scary, to me, especially Blood Drive, contrary to popular... belief? You know what I mean.)
Shion no Ou, though it's not really a horror I guess, more just a thriller, though really good and very much so suggest it.

Actually decided to look through the horror anime genre on MAL and man, some of the stuff that gets the horror tag. o.O
Highschool of the Dead (wat?)
Various hentai (Sure... I guess)
Kaibutsu Oujo (again... wat?)

Writing about this and reading other replies, I've started doubting wether I truly understand the meaning of horror.

Nov 29, 2017 1:39 PM

Hrybami said:
I was absolutely terrified when watching Utsu Musume Sayuri. Anyone who says that anime isn't scary should really take a look at this.

^this.
I couldn't sleep after watching it. Multiple questions started popping into my head, like: how and why would someone make something like this? :^(

Nov 29, 2017 1:43 PM

silly kids, cartoons aren't scary.

Nov 29, 2017 1:45 PM

Tokyo Ghoul is obviously the scariest show out there

Most 'horror' anime in general aren't really scary, just sometimes really messed up

From what I've noticed, Higurashi seems to be up there in that category

king_pineapple said:
Forgive me if I'm being off-topic but the animation that scared and creeped me out the most was Courage the Cowardly Dog.

m8 that one ghost face left me scared for days lmao
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Nov 29, 2017 1:52 PM

Not at all. Maybe Shiki and Shinsekai yori got that creepy atmosphere but that's it

Reo did nothing wrong

Nov 29, 2017 2:17 PM

Short_Circut said:
m8 that one ghost face left me scared for days lmao

lol mate, I too suffer some trauma watching that damn show.
And it's not just about the art. It's also the settings, hints and atmosphere that terrify me.

Nov 29, 2017 2:23 PM

It's all rather comical and terribly camp, especially series like Another, Elfen Lied or Higurashi.

When it comes to the 'horror' genre, I liked to lean more towards series like Mononoke as I find them fascinating to watch, but definitely not scary... unless you were under the influence of some kind of hallucinogenic drug.
It's gotten to the point where existence itself has become nothing but a meme; an existence that I want nothing to do with anymore.

Nov 29, 2017 2:35 PM

When I first got into anime.

A few that scared me when I first watched them.

Higurashi no naku koro ni

Another

Corpse party

Shiki(more disturbing than scary)

Nov 29, 2017 2:57 PM

Only thing that was even remotely scary was one episode of Ghost Hunt. First season of Higurashi had some good moments. I'm not sure I'd call it scary because what got to me was the torture.

I can't believe people are seriously saying Another and Corpse Party. They are too camp to feel legitimately scary. Another actually made me laugh multiple times. The later was at least pretty creepy feeling but not scary.

I don't even remember Shiki even trying to be scary
Modified by traed, Nov 29, 2017 3:02 PM

Nov 29, 2017 3:10 PM

I'd say most of anime horror is just gore. I enjoy it, but wouldn't be bothered if I watched it at 2am in the dark.

Nov 29, 2017 3:20 PM
Mononoke was one of the few anime in that genre that actually creeped me out. It wasn’t super scary or anything like that. Overall, it’s a great anime with a unique art style I’d recommend checking out.

Nov 29, 2017 3:23 PM
KanaAoi said:
There aren't that many in the first place (many horror tagged anime are action packed) but have you ever been scared or creeped out by any horror scene?
I'm a scaredy cat (I also live alone) and from time to time there is a scene or two that creeps me out. For example Magata Shiki from Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider (if you recall that certain scene).

That´s an issue the horror genre has in general and Anime specifically fails by using only the first category of horror:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/84666-the-3-types-of-terror-the-gross-out-the-sight-of

Nov 29, 2017 5:30 PM

WizMacer said:
You can try Another or Corpse Party. Those are the best comedy anime there is.

Fixed, you're welcome :)

OT: It depends on the interpretation you have on horror. For example when i watch horror anime i dont watch solely with the idea in mind that i will get scared (most series fail in that aspect as a matter of fact) rather i watch for the thematic, for the intricacy, for the dark imagery and creppy atmosphere. I watch it because i wanna feel immerse with what is happening on screen.
Higurashi, Perfect Blue, Mononoke, Kagewani all those were the better ones that i can think off when it comes to giving me that experience. Some more so then others.

✧A Believing Heart Is Your Magic✧

Nov 29, 2017 5:57 PM
I don't think anime could be scary tbh, it's to well .. Anime to be scary and you just can't that horror vibe from it like games or sometimes movies (jump scares aren't horror to me just a natural reflex)

Nov 29, 2017 5:57 PM

I do not get "scared" by horror anime, I usually just get creeped out or weirded out by a spoopy scene, but never really scared. This is pretty much like this for me with horror movies too, horror movies probably have more ear rape and intense music, but for me it just isn't that scary. It's suspenseful, but not scary, you're watching some unfortunate people, but nothing is going to happen to you. That's why the only way I get truly scared by fiction is with videogames. They are very immersive and I tend to get very scared playing them. Even though I don't get scared by anime sometimes just getting a lingering "creeped out" feeling is better to me then getting jumpscared, by far. Jumpscares are usually cheap, so I disregard them as true horror.

Nov 29, 2017 6:03 PM
In general anime are rarely scary per say they might be freaky or wicked as all shit but never really scary imo.

Nov 29, 2017 6:07 PM

Nah I think the word you're looking for is "EDGY" here normie
Modified by -HippySnob-, Nov 29, 2017 6:25 PM

--FUN-- things die if they eat dog food ----

Nov 29, 2017 6:15 PM
anime has the disadvantage of being animated, naturally, it doesn't LOOK scary
regardless, there're many seri that had overcome this disadvantage and just awesome at being scary

it's the same debate with jump scare vs subtle scare
anime can't do jump scare, but the subtle ones can be achieve

Nov 29, 2017 8:59 PM

king_pineapple said:

Courage was awesome and incredibly strange at the same time. There was quite a bit of episodes that were disturbing. Even more so that it was basically a kids cartoon.

OT: gore isn't scary. It's the fan service of the horror genre. Elfen Lied falls under that category. Another is like the animated version of Final Destination. Shiki didn't do much for me.

I haven't seen any of the other big name ones like Higurashi, so that's all i can say on the topic.
Modified by RegisteredName, Nov 29, 2017 9:33 PM
What's your rush now? Everyone will have his day to die.

Nov 29, 2017 9:03 PM
No anime has scared me tbh. Jump scares always get me in horror movies lol, tho I don't know any jump scare anime.

Perfect Blue is definitely creepy though, left me feeling uneasy at moments where it got intense.

Nov 29, 2017 9:12 PM

Mouryou no Hako has a pretty scary scene in the first episode that made me stop watching. It's not tagged as horror in MAL(which is weird), but it's pretty scary.

Nov 29, 2017 9:13 PM
Mou-chan

You can't spell 'slaughter' without 'laughter.'

Nov 29, 2017 9:25 PM

The scariest anime i've seen is JoJo's. That's how not-scary anime gets.
To the sky, to the stars, and even beyond in the beautiful infinity of space...
(I wanted something poetic and witty as my signature but i think i epically failed)

Nov 29, 2017 9:36 PM

Some scenes in Serial Experiments Lain and xxxHolic seriously freaked me out despite not being tagged as horror. Others I can think of as being scary/creepy are Mononoke (depends on the story because at least one of them is boring as fuck), Ayakashi: Japanese Traditional Horror, Higurashi and Cossette no Shouzou. Haven't seen it yet but Shoujo Tsubaki is said to be this as well.

Nov 29, 2017 10:38 PM

Ghost Hunt and Corpse Party are the only horror anime that scare me.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Nov 30, 2017 5:42 AM

KanaAoi said:

I've noticed that too, there's not really anime that is particularly "jump-out-of-your-seat" scary, but I think it's because it's something that is relatively modern and mostly a western thing... Like if you are talking about how modern American horror movies always have some jumpscare with loud sudden sounds.

Japan's horror tends to rely much more on the actual "creepy aesthetic", gore, gross-out factor, and use of psychology, more than jump scares.
Basically, they aim more for being disturbingly creepy/scary leaving you with lingering thoughts, rather than to startle you.

I think these anime tend to be more of a mix between that kind of Japanese Horror and Psychological-Thriller:

Paranoia Agent is a good example, I think. It's very psychologically-based, even if it doesn't make you jump out of your seat, you might get creeped out particularly in the intense scenes.
Several scenes in Psycho-Pass could pass as horror as well, if not for the gore, than for the psychological impact it can leave on the viewer/characters, like that feeling of impending doom.
I only really found one scene in Tokyo Ghoul to really scare me, which was the torture scene where he sticks... something in his ear.
The manga "Franken Fran" is a good example, as well. Surgeries that go... unexpected. Lots of gore/detailed body parts and creepiness, painful deaths/torture, etc.

I loved those above anime because they have great entertainment value without relying on jump-scares that modern American horror movies depend so much on.
Some western psychological-thrillers that might otherwise be considered horror would be things like Twilight Zone and the more modern Black Mirror which uses a lot more psychological fears and taboos.

The scariest anime for me are the ones that aren't even intentionally supposed to be scary, let alone horror genre. Ones that coincidentally feature my phobias.

There's actually a skit on Axis Powers Hetalia where they all watch each others' horror movies, comparing how different each country's typical horror genres tend to be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FeEvvZtaC0 (sadly isn't the full skit)
Modified by Pikangie, Nov 30, 2017 6:05 AM

Nov 30, 2017 9:14 AM

Monster is the only show ever that has actually scared me

Dec 6, 2017 11:11 AM

I dont really find them scary though ones like blood-c can be so disgusting to watch.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017

Dec 14, 2017 2:01 AM
Boogiepop Phantom is the only great one and even that's not very scary. It is disturbing, however, though scary and disturbing are not mutually exclusive. Things like the episode "Puhoy" from Adventure Time "disturb" me but it is certainly not scary. In horror, sound design is often key. Whether it's minimalistic like in the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre or extremely well done like in Perfect Blue. Though I guess Perfect Blue is more psychological thriller than horror but eh.

Blood and gore doesn't equal horror either. Blood-C is just garbage, anyone can write a bunch of gore scenes.

I like Hell Target cause it's like a b-movie in anime form, but that might just be me. I just find it kinda mind blowing that a country that produced things like Resident Evil and Silent Hill lacks so much in the horror department. What made Silent Hill so great is that it was Japanese horror trying desperately to emulate American horror so it fused into this weird Frankenstein horror but I digress.
Modified by Hyak, Dec 14, 2017 2:06 AM

Dec 14, 2017 2:09 AM

It's like saying... how NGE gives you a fappable seizure....

--FUN-- things die if they eat dog food ----

Pages (2) [1] 2 »