Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 29, 2017 5:00 AM

Jun 2017
Should I hype this up as much as the PV makes me want to? This isn't shallow trashy stuff is it? It looks really good and I think we all need a new good Isekai.
There is no signature...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 30, 2017 8:38 AM

Dec 2015
It's one of the better isekai titles out there, but the manga is somewhat dark at the beginning, so I'm hoping they don't shounen-ize the stuff and keep everything intact.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 1, 2017 8:58 AM

Jun 2017
joe_g7 said:
It's one of the better isekai titles out there, but the manga is somewhat dark at the beginning, so I'm hoping they don't shounen-ize the stuff and keep everything intact.

Kinda like how Re:Zero started? I as well hope it remains the same in that regard!
There is no signature...
Dec 1, 2017 9:15 AM

Dec 2015
ShaIIot said:
Kinda like how Re:Zero started? I as well hope it remains the same in that regard!
Not as bloody, no. MC keeps running into one trouble after the other and everyone looks down/makes fun of him because he is the shield hero.
Dec 1, 2017 9:21 AM

Jun 2017
joe_g7 said:
ShaIIot said:
Not as bloody, no. MC keeps running into one trouble after the other and everyone looks down/makes fun of him because he is the shield hero.

well I didn't mean exactly the same :P. I don't really understanding out-casting a shield. One might never completely understand the fictional human mind. :thinking emoji:
There is no signature...
Dec 1, 2017 9:37 AM

Dec 2015
ShaIIot said:
well I didn't mean exactly the same :P. I don't really understanding out-casting a shield. One might never completely understand the fictional human mind. :thinking emoji:
Yeah it sounds dumb, you'll understand everything once you see it.
Dec 3, 2017 9:30 AM

Apr 2015
Honestly this is amazing. The only think I am worried about is how much will be adapted.
Dec 3, 2017 12:18 PM
Mar 2009
It's a great series, but it's definitely going to pull the cringe/incel crouds.
I hope it's a success, although I haven't read the LN in the last few years, when I left off it was still a fun read.
Dec 6, 2017 5:44 AM

Feb 2011
I'd put it at decent hype, but I woulddn't go overly nuts since this is an isekai, the sheer amount of isekai animes existing makes this have a hard road to be epic since it will be competing with so many predecessors.
Dec 6, 2017 6:03 AM

Oct 2015
If Kinema Citrus can handle this like they do to Made in Abyss, of course it will be great .
Dec 6, 2017 1:57 PM

Jun 2017
Prog_upworks13 said:
If Kinema Citrus can handle this like they do to Made in Abyss, of course it will be great .

oh my bless does that mean a new good isekai?
There is no signature...
Dec 6, 2017 4:10 PM

Oct 2015
ShaIIot said:
Prog_upworks13 said:

oh my bless does that mean a new good isekai?

I only read the manga so far and I find it's good . Well a little bit down in later arc.
Dec 6, 2017 4:28 PM

Oct 2013
Oh thought this series was bang average, the concept is a bit interesting, but the overall execution is just ok. Also find the art to be too dull, it is not badly drawn, just something about that art turn me off.

Maybe the anime will be a better experience.
Dec 6, 2017 4:59 PM

Jun 2017
keragamming said:
Oh thought this series was bang average, the concept is a bit interesting, but the overall execution is just ok. Also find the art to be too dull, it is not badly drawn, just something about that art turn me off.

Maybe the anime will be a better experience.

Yea the pv looked dope but I mean that’s what pvs are supposed to do
There is no signature...
Feb 14, 2018 9:09 AM
Jul 2017
My only wish is for sheildbro to have a complete adaptation.
Feb 14, 2018 9:11 AM

Jul 2015
well ... it's popular and highly rated enough to give it a try

that harem subplot can destroy my enjoyment any moment though
Feb 24, 2018 3:01 AM

Jun 2013
There's almost no romance even several volumes in, Naofumi got betrayed pretty badly by everyone in the beginning so romance is the last thing in his mind, at most there'll be some hints. That said it should be a good adaptation, though the trailer made it seem edgier than it is. All I'm hoping for is that they end it after the fight with the priest so they don't condense and skip over too much, unless it's a 2 cour
Mar 11, 2018 6:04 PM
Nov 2016
I will watch when it comes out, really hype right now.
Mar 18, 2018 5:48 PM
Jul 2016
I think it's up to you. Every year PVs come out of all types of works. From medium [good] studios that are promising. Of below-average studios, and excellent studios [that normally supply your expectation]. So it will depend on you. I'm a little restrained, but I want to see the series.
Mar 25, 2018 12:16 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
I read a lot of isekai manga than most people. And this series is one of those that make me so irritated while reading. Nothing so great about betray again and again with dumbfounded plot.
I feel more stupid when I read the spinoff, Spear hero. Instead of making anothee series, they decided use the same setting. Lack creativity just satisfy the western audiences. This isn't. even hype in JP. Big turn off and disappointment.
Fuwa_sanMar 27, 2018 3:53 AM
Apr 22, 2018 4:51 PM

Aug 2017
I said "If you want" but im hyped AF the synopsis hyped the fk out of me. I hope the mc is Anti-hero if so then im in heaven i looked so hard and so long to find something good and when i saw this i shed a tear...tear of happiness
ItzYaBoiSatanApr 22, 2018 4:54 PM
May 4, 2018 10:07 PM
Feb 2018
iam love this LN actually
but thingking from timeline ... my fav chara not appear season 1
but yeah this one of the best isekai ever read , the art too really nice
May 21, 2018 1:50 AM
Feb 2009
Mohammadalmannai said:
Honestly this is amazing. The only think I am worried about is how much will be adapted.

I'm worried about the studio.
May 21, 2018 1:52 AM
Feb 2009
xkazutox said:
I read a lot of isekai manga than most people. And this series is one of those that make me so irritated while reading. Nothing so great about betray again and again with dumbfounded plot.
I feel more stupid when I read the spinoff, Spear hero. Instead of making anothee series, they decided use the same setting. Lack creativity just satisfy the western audiences. This isn't. even hype in JP. Big turn off and disappointment.

Well
This isn't for a isekai loving fan.
This is nothing like most isekai.
May 24, 2018 5:21 AM
Nov 2015
What has me worried is the staff, the director has worked on only 1 Anime that was in 2016 and its not scored very high on MAL, tho that might be because of the source material not being good, but still I'm pessimistic.The only notable work of the sound director is both seasons of Overlord, and while the OPs and EDs of Overlord are amazing I can't remember the OST's if they were good or bad and that isn't a good thing.Now the Script, Series Composition has me a bit more hopeful, because he is worked on Angle Beats, a few episodes of Made in Abyss and a few episodes of Zetsuen no Tempest, tho these examples are his best, most of the anime he is worked on aren't exactly good. The studio on the other hand is fine for me, they did a fantastic job on Made in Abyss, now the staff is where the real problems can happen with the Anime.
May 25, 2018 8:18 AM
Nov 2015
I want to watch ROTSH. I wouldn't assume that it is going to be as epic as Made in Abyss. It would be awesome if it was. Nevertheless, I feel like I am going to be looking forward to seeing those little moments that is the charm of ROTSH. The PV looked nice and had an interesting take on it.
May 27, 2018 11:59 AM

Apr 2018
The PV made my expectations lower tbh
Sep 2, 2018 5:18 AM

Jul 2017
psiho996 said:
What has me worried is the staff, the director has worked on only 1 Anime that was in 2016 and its not scored very high on MAL, tho that might be because of the source material not being good, but still I'm pessimistic.The only notable work of the sound director is both seasons of Overlord, and while the OPs and EDs of Overlord are amazing I can't remember the OST's if they were good or bad and that isn't a good thing.Now the Script, Series Composition has me a bit more hopeful, because he is worked on Angle Beats, a few episodes of Made in Abyss and a few episodes of Zetsuen no Tempest, tho these examples are his best, most of the anime he is worked on aren't exactly good. The studio on the other hand is fine for me, they did a fantastic job on Made in Abyss, now the staff is where the real problems can happen with the Anime.

This is very worrying indeed, not just for the entire isekai troupe, but the direction of the show. We desperately need an isekai change and this could be it, but ONLY if the staff directing and the series composition are able to justify the original LN which was a breath of fresh air.
Sep 2, 2018 5:45 PM

Jun 2009
Oh wow, even the trailer makes it look boring and generic af. I can only imagine the anime being even worse.
Sep 3, 2018 12:25 AM

Mar 2014
-Ereya- said:
Oh wow, even the trailer makes it look boring and generic af. I can only imagine the anime being even worse.

The isekai MMO-esque world premise is generic, yes, but that's a given. Beyond that, Shieldbro is anything but. It doesn't turn into a harem, and it's ballsy-er and edgier than most isekais out there. Whether thats a good or bad thing is up to you, but it's at least something you should see for yourself.

Sep 18, 2018 11:44 AM

Jun 2016
Personally I have read like the first 6-7 novels? It's not necessarily bad, but I did lose my interest as I read along. It has a pretty decent start and I don't think it really goes anywhere with it.
Oct 4, 2018 12:50 PM

Dec 2013
Hmm... I'm not sure why people are excited for this thing. I've read the majority of the LNs (it got boring so I dropped it) and I must say it was not very good. It felt like it was pandering to a very specific audience... Here is a description of what I mean:

You are a male gamer that generally hates people and you feel burning rage against the society that has greatly wronged you (or at least you think so), everything is conspiring against you. However, nothing in this is your fault whatsoever and the reason everything goes wrong is always that other people are either irredeemable human trash or wildly incompetent. Usually the both. Nobody can understand you and the only way for you to bond with anyone is if they put themselves completely at your mercy and are thus unable to reject you in any way. Oh, and you feel like there's nothing wrong with having ethnic minorities as slaves.

If you can recognize yourself from the statement above, congratulations! You are the target audience for this show and will likely love it. Everyone else, stay far away. I'm trying to keep this as spoiler-free as I can, so if you want to know my (spoilerific) reasoning on the topic, please send a message to my profile.

By the way, I must say that the editors of the LN have done a very good job. On a superficial level the writing was good and easy to read, which is why I kept reading despite finding the story pretty laughable. I was greatly shocked when I ran out of LNs to read and tried switching to the WN instead- only to find its writing disastrously bad.

tl;dr: No. It's toxic af.
Oct 6, 2018 1:49 PM

Feb 2013
Inorichi said:
Personally I have read like the first 6-7 novels? It's not necessarily bad, but I did lose my interest as I read along. It has a pretty decent start and I don't think it really goes anywhere with it.

Really? Ive read up to volume 12 and I love everything about it
Oct 7, 2018 12:34 AM

Jun 2016
Raydnt said:
Inorichi said:

Really? Ive read up to volume 12 and I love everything about it

Kinda just lost interest as we weren't given any major plot development. Yes there are some exciting changes to the shield and the enemies, but it just really seems to just follow their lives. Especially after the whole king and princess thing is over, I don't see many grand goals like a final boss, or return back to our world happening.

Oct 18, 2018 6:03 AM
May 2017
The manga was average at best. It starts off kinda dark, seeing the MC struggle for resouces, having everyone hate him and grinding for EXP with Raph is cool. But it only lasts for a short while. Then the MC gets the queen on his side (if i remember correctly), gets his harem (kinda) and everyone likes him. And that's that, nothing super interesting happens after that.

If the anime follows the manga then it'll be ok (6 out of 10-ish), for the first few episodes and then start boring you quite quickly depending on how many episodes they can stretch out the first few chapters for.
H4nss0nOct 18, 2018 6:10 AM
Nov 24, 2018 12:22 AM
Nov 2018
I want it to be exactly as it is in the manga. It shows the struggle of the shield hero to the top, being a hard ass, and showing to the other heroes that the shield is not always helpless
Nov 29, 2018 8:02 AM
May 2017
Maityoman said:
H4nss0n said:
The manga was average at best. It starts off kinda dark, seeing the MC struggle for resouces, having everyone hate him and grinding for EXP with Raph is cool. But it only lasts for a short while. Then the MC gets the queen on his side (if i remember correctly), gets his harem (kinda) and everyone likes him. And that's that, nothing super interesting happens after that.

If the anime follows the manga then it'll be ok (6 out of 10-ish), for the first few episodes and then start boring you quite quickly depending on how many episodes they can stretch out the first few chapters for.

This is coming from a LN reader:

First of all this doesn't have a harem in it. Don't even try and bring that sort of shit into this series, it doesn't exist. Second of all, the story only gets better as it goes. Depending on how many episodes this is, it can easily tread into parts of the story that are greatness. Not everyone likes him, I don't know where you got that information but that doesn't happen. Anyway, expect this show to be a mid 8 rating.

Agreed, its not a harem, still sceptical towards that 8/10. I predict i'll give it a 6. I was being lazy when i said "everyone likes him" i didn't mean it and i take it back. I still hold the opinion that the manga is kinda mediocre. Haven't read it all though so you might have read something in the LN that i haven't seen yet, it's therefore possible it might be great.
Dec 3, 2018 6:27 AM
May 2017
tragedydesu said:
well ... it's popular and highly rated enough to give it a try

that harem subplot can destroy my enjoyment any moment though

i know a good isekai that is not a harem, as a bonus, the author also hates characters made for the audience to self-insert into, overpowered characters and wish-fulfillment light novels and their anime adaptations
Dec 6, 2018 4:57 PM
Oct 2018
i'm just asking people, it's going to be woth watching?
this will not be another rushed adaptation?
"I know anything goes here...
but this...
this is clearly not fucking okay...!"
-Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
Dec 7, 2018 3:01 PM

Oct 2014
I wonder how the first episodes will be received and whether or not it will cause another controversy like Goblin Slayer did. And I don't mean the slavery stuff (didn't really seem to bother people watching Death March, which had the same thing, too much either) but rather the "false accusation" part. Also the first few episodes will probably be rather frustrating - or depressing - to watch, due to the early events. I only realize after recently re-reading the early parts of the manga. I just mean anime-onlys might not quite get what they expect at first and certain sensitive people with strong political... expression... will probably raise their voices.
Dec 8, 2018 4:22 AM

Aug 2017
Oh my god. broken english everywhere !!

Fuck you dude. go and learn english before posting such a thread !!
Dec 8, 2018 5:05 AM
Jul 2018
It's a good LN but not as good as Mushoku Tensei or Re:Zero. I would give it a 8.

The main problem that the novels has are the hero characters. They are annoying as hell and get too much screentime, the only purpose of their existence is to make the MC look good.
removed-userDec 8, 2018 11:26 AM
Dec 8, 2018 7:48 AM

Oct 2014
YorukaWaifu said:
It's a good LN but not as good as Mushoku Tensei or Re:Zero. I would give it a 8.

The main problem that the novels has are the hero characters. They are boring as hell and get too much screentime, the only purpose of their existence is to make the MC look good.

Are you talking about the WN or the LN?
Dec 8, 2018 8:38 AM

May 2013
Grey-Zone said:
I wonder how the first episodes will be received and whether or not it will cause another controversy like Goblin Slayer did. And I don't mean the slavery stuff (didn't really seem to bother people watching Death March, which had the same thing, too much either) but rather the "false accusation" part. Also the first few episodes will probably be rather frustrating - or depressing - to watch, due to the early events. I only realize after recently re-reading the early parts of the manga. I just mean anime-onlys might not quite get what they expect at first and certain sensitive people with strong political... expression... will probably raise their voices.

Meh, it's only going to be the vocal minority that will be raising hue and cry. For example, I just watched through the first episode of goblin slayer just to know what the whole madness was about... and I still don't understand why everyone lost their shit by it. Moral policing knows no bounds. "It cheapens the meaning" is such a poor argument that I see from their side. As if seeing acts of murder in cold blood makes murder any less bad of a scenario. "Oh but the execution matters". As if there is a 'correct' way of executing rape. -_-

Nonetheless, I didn't continue further with GS since I don't follow ongoing anime and have a preference for completed stories.

Shield Bro looks kind of promising and I do want to dive into something that gives the vibe of dark and gritty atmosphere in an isekai (like how Re:Zero and Ima Soko ni Iru boku did).

It sounds like a standard revenge story but a cliche theme executed well has always been an enjoyable experience for me.
KreatorXDec 8, 2018 9:04 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Dec 8, 2018 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
Grey-Zone said:
YorukaWaifu said:

The main problem that the novels has are the hero characters. They are boring as hell and get too much screentime, the only purpose of their existence is to make the MC look good.

Are you talking about the WN or the LN?

The LN and the manga adaptation. I didn't read the WN.
Dec 8, 2018 4:48 PM
Mar 2016
they dont appear that much hell in book 2 , 7, 8, 9,and 10 they dont show up at all. Now im not on the same page about the being boring but that is because they only just now started getting development in book 11.
Dec 8, 2018 11:44 PM

Oct 2018
It looks promising, art and that song on pv (their OP?) wasn't bad either.
I don't really like the manga since it's about revenge and the like. But it might be well adapted unlike GS. Kinema citrus did many good job before. I do enjoy most of their work.
If any, i might not like the story and characters itself.
Dec 18, 2018 4:27 AM

Dec 2018
This is the only fantasy/isekai manga that I actually enjoyed, so I hope they don't mess up the adaptation. The first chapters of the manga were really strong, so the first episode has to be good.
Dec 21, 2018 2:54 AM
Jun 2014
Put simply this anime could go one of two ways. If it's a straight adaptation of the LNs then the best you'll get is "ok", with the first few episodes garnering a lot of attention and some controversy while the rest will be retreading ground and throwing in a hefty dose of angst. Depending on much they rush through the adaption it might end before the story takes a spectacular nosedive.

However, if the studio is given a lot of liberty to make changes to characters, story, progression etc. then it does have potential enough to be about as enjoyable as Slime. There is some interesting content under the surface of Shield Hero, but it's just buried under some utterly terrible writing that wouldn't be out of place in a primary schooler's first story.

The problems this series has:

- Atrocious writing. Stuff happens in the world that you'd think would be explained in detail, but it gets skipped over in such a childish way, practically in the vein of "And then we had some food and it was good and then we went to the market and then we went back home and went to sleep".

- Particularly atrocious writing. The main guy powers his shield up by absorbing stuff, so what happens after a fight? Multiple pages of
"Random Enemy Meat absorbed
Random Shield 1 unlocked
Random Shield 2 unlocked
Random Shield 3 unlocked
Poison resistance up
Greater potion creation unlocked
Defence increased
Insert skill here unlocked"
Yeah, multiple pages of the book dedicated to a scrolling MMO chat log at the expense of world building.

- The main character gives offensive nicknames to everyone that wrongs him (a lot of people, it's the one unique hook of the series and gets heavily reused) and regularly has inner monologues insulting them. Get ready to hear "Bitch" and "Trash" an awful lot.

- The main character can be utterly insufferable at times. I'll just quote NthDegree for this one since they summed it up better than I could:
NthDegree said:

You are a male gamer that generally hates people and you feel burning rage against the society that has greatly wronged you (or at least you think so), everything is conspiring against you. However, nothing in this is your fault whatsoever and the reason everything goes wrong is always that other people are either irredeemable human trash or wildly incompetent. Usually the both. Nobody can understand you and the only way for you to bond with anyone is if they put themselves completely at your mercy and are thus unable to reject you in any way.
Dec 21, 2018 12:32 PM

Nov 2013
No. But I'm interested in the anime.

About Naofumi, he is edgy. But he has every reason to be as bitter, angry and resentful as he is. He gets abducted, is expected to fight and risk his life for complete strangers and gets screwed over in every possible way.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

270 by SanessyAdversary »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2019

355 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2019

190 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 6:17 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2019

300 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2019

288 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 4:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.