Forum Settings
Forums

What makes a character voice fitting and who decides what makes it fitting?

#1
Nov 26, 2017 12:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 226
And why does that voice need to sound "realistic" or "age appropriate" in a cartoon.
Are people that unable to separate fantasy and reality. For example many people are unable to accept Masako Nozawa(the Seiyuu picked by the creator) as the voice of Son Goku in Dragon Ball due to the separation between voice and appearance. Many other male anime characters are voiced by female seiyuu but don't receive nearly as much flak due to Goku's more muscular physique.

So why are anime fans so strict on having characters sounding realistic and age appropriate compared to fans of other cartoons?

 
#2
Nov 26, 2017 12:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 1257
Just imagine if Zoro had Luffy's voice
There you go
 
#3
Nov 26, 2017 12:42 PM

Online
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 6148
It's called a casting director.
Their job is to listen to auditions by voice actors and decide who to hire.
 
#4
Nov 26, 2017 1:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1197
dunno about being fantasy but i wouldn't like to hear HanaKana as Misato
 
#5
Nov 26, 2017 1:57 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 82
Depends if you're talking about those crappy english voices. English dub is always bad and this is why I'll forever watch my animes in sub unless I end up learning Japanese.
 
#6
Nov 26, 2017 3:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 878
Between the personality, setting, and design the casting director (or another key staff) decides an actor suits the role.
There's no sense of objectivity to it, not really a right or wrong, just perspective.

Ainchael said:
Depends if you're talking about those crappy english voices. English dub is always bad.

Baccano and Cowboy Bebop would like to have a word with you.
 
#7
Nov 26, 2017 3:25 PM
~ PR Cheerio ~

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 6613
That all revolves around auditions in a sense. They hire some people and try to make it work, and sees where it would fit the most.

That's how I see it as.
 
#8
Nov 26, 2017 5:23 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 1730
It might be fantasy but suspension of disbelief can only go so far.
Anime characters might not be real, but they're based off the human image a lot of the time, right? They also tend to be a lot more "down to earth" than Western Cartoons.

If there was this huge, beefcake of a man who was verbally abusive and violent, but had Tweedy Pie's voice...you'd prolly think there was something off. Simply because his appearance, mannerisms and voice don't match- as far as norms and what we're used to are concerned anyway. There's usually some sort of harmony between these things, and if there isn't one naturally, we're conscious enough to make those changes so they do promote some sort of harmony. If that makes sense??

I think the same rules apply with anime characters. A socially awkward zombie who talks real slow and wears the same dirty clothes all the time probably isn't going to be voiced by Aoi Shouta. It wouldn't sound right because it completely goes against what you'd expect a zombie to sound like, simply because of what we've been exposed to before (deep, slow, or even slurred voices). I know that's an awful example, but hey.

There are only a few cases where there's exceptions to the rule- when the characters are animals, or nowhere near human, or when the bizarre casting choice is done deliberately for comedic purposes (like Pica from One Piece).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
#9
Nov 26, 2017 5:54 PM
Master Expander

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 10734
I remember Karen Strassman talking about this. She said that if a voice doesn't fit a character, the person to blame is the voice director.

Strawberrycake48 said:

I think the same rules apply with anime characters. A socially awkward zombie who talks real slow and wears the same dirty clothes all the time probably isn't going to be voiced by Aoi Shouta. It wouldn't sound right because it completely goes against what you'd expect a zombie to sound like, simply because of what we've been exposed to before (deep, slow, or even slurred voices). I know that's an awful example, but hey.

I'm pretty sure Aoi can voice a socially awkward zombie if he can voice best waifu...
 
Nov 26, 2017 6:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 587
would you want your waifu to have a booming male voice? probably not.

if it's off for anything other than comedic purpose it's like someone put the star peg in the triangular hole.
 
Nov 26, 2017 6:17 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 31071
a lot of the times it's whatever you're more familiar with, period. In other cases it's just your personal prejudices or preferences for how you think people should sound like based on what they look like. It's always gonna be entirely subjective. I have no problems with gokus VA, I actually quite like her, but I couldn't for the love of god watch Kenshin in his overly girly and soft voice in the anime. he sounded like a middle school girl in love.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though
 
Nov 26, 2017 6:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2077
Well I think a voice is fitting when it fits the characters' persona and physical build but also the effect the show is trying to get...

Naturally a muscular character should have a deeper voice... But if the show is going for a comedic effect then a higher pitched voice can work as well...

There are many variables to having a good voice.... You really can't put it into words as it's a matter of many things... Not just one aspect alone
 
Nov 26, 2017 7:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 1054
Ainchael said:
English dub is always bad and this is why I'll forever watch my animes in sub unless I end up learning Japanese.


You're misrepresenting your opinion as fact.
You may think dubs are always bad, but as long as there's other people that think they're good, your statement isn't a fact.

Back on topic:
It is up to each individual viewer as to whether a voice fits a character.
Often times it isn't so much the voice doesn't fit, as it is that the voice director and/or script writer went with something different than the original, which is usually what triggers the purists the most.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.


 
Nov 27, 2017 12:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 14423
Yeah Masako Nozawa really sucks, one of the very few instances where I prefer the English dub.

I think it's that the vast majority of people that have a problem with Masako Nozawa, grew up with english dub Goku (myself included). Not only is switching from dub to sub a difficult thing (when you've already gotten used to the English dub voice for years), it gets worse when you're aware that a grandma does the voice of a character you grew up with, it makes you more self conscious about every line of dialogue she says.
RapeHorse said:
So why are anime fans so strict on having characters sounding realistic and age appropriate compared to fans of other cartoons?
As you should know, anime is vastly different compared to cartoons, it's meant for a wider audience, not just for kids. While cartoons have only in recent years started to focus on the adult audience more and more, anime has been doing that for decades, so it's normal in the anime community to have many different opinions and demands. There are veterans, that don't like the "new ways", there are the new guys that are just starting out, there are those in between etc etc. That's how I see it.
Older_than_dirt said:
You're misrepresenting your opinion as fact.
You may think dubs are always bad, but as long as there's other people that think they're good, your statement isn't a fact.
I think you're the one misinterpreting his opinion as a fact, people don't need to add "in my opinion" at the end of every sentence just to be clear that what they're saying is their opinion, the fact that he said something about a certain topic already makes his statement an opinion. Also, that's a pretty wrong definition of what a fact is and isn't.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
 
Nov 27, 2017 5:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 842
The voice must be in sync with the personality of the character. It will bring the character to life. Listen to L's voice. That's how.
 
Nov 27, 2017 6:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2261
Oh god what if Shinpachi's voice actor was originally picked for Gintoki, and Gintoki's VA for Shinpachi ;_;
 
Nov 27, 2017 6:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 4199
I can't cum to Jotaro's voice if he sounded like a teenage brat.
Modified by -Lofn-, Nov 27, 2017 6:36 AM
Ero Pattishie, how was the night?
Did you like the sister sandwich for dinner?
Or perhaps it was too sweet,
that you want more vanilla in the morning.
I'll put extra cream just for you.
Now it eat well, we still have more desserts.
 
Nov 27, 2017 6:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 4240
LofnEdda said:
I can't cum to Jotaro's voice if it sounded like a teenage brat.

Pretty much this^

Well, I also can't imagine yui with momo's voice. That would suck.


"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"


 
Nov 27, 2017 6:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 11312
TheHonestThief said:
Ainchael said:
Depends if you're talking about those crappy english voices. English dub is always bad.

Baccano and Cowboy Bebop would like to have a word with you.

I heard someone mentioning how big the difference was in Spike's "Bang!" in the 2 languages. Ainchael is right.

Um, English dubs aside, I think some people have to listen to a bunch of auditions and decide who's best. Well, most of the times the voices do fit the character.

"Fans of other cartoons"? Oh, you must mean those western cartoon lovers.



ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇssᴇᴛ ʙʏ ᴘʀᴏᴍɪsᴇ
 
Nov 27, 2017 7:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 64
Ainchael said:
Depends if you're talking about those crappy english voices. English dub is always bad and this is why I'll forever watch my animes in sub unless I end up learning Japanese.


then you can realize how bad the japanese dubs are too
 
Nov 27, 2017 10:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 226
senorblu said:
Ainchael said:
Depends if you're talking about those crappy english voices. English dub is always bad and this is why I'll forever watch my animes in sub unless I end up learning Japanese.


then you can realize how bad the japanese dubs are too


Don't even give him attention, it's a never ending cycle best to just ignore it.
 
Nov 27, 2017 10:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 226
joe_g7 said:
Yeah Masako Nozawa really sucks, one of the very few instances where I prefer the English dub.

I think it's that the vast majority of people that have a problem with Masako Nozawa, grew up with english dub Goku (myself included). Not only is switching from dub to sub a difficult thing (when you've already gotten used to the English dub voice for years), it gets worse when you're aware that a grandma does the voice of a character you grew up with, it makes you more self conscious about every line of dialogue she says.


You could argue the same for luffy, but I guess he gets a pass for being voiced by a grandma because he's skinny. Once you get past the pitch of Nozawa's voice, and watch a good amount of OG DB you'll see how fitting the voice is when she ages it up.
 
Nov 27, 2017 10:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2262
RapeHorse said:
And why does that voice need to sound "realistic" or "age appropriate" in a cartoon.
Are people that unable to separate fantasy and reality. For example many people are unable to accept Masako Nozawa(the Seiyuu picked by the creator) as the voice of Son Goku in Dragon Ball due to the separation between voice and appearance. Many other male anime characters are voiced by female seiyuu but don't receive nearly as much flak due to Goku's more muscular physique.

So why are anime fans so strict on having characters sounding realistic and age appropriate compared to fans of other cartoons?


no he gets more flack due to the fact that he now is a grown up man, many male main characters are young Males and Children always get voiced by Female voice actresses.
 
Nov 27, 2017 10:38 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 82
Didn't expect to make a huge fuss over english dubs.. maybe I should have reworded it a bit better? From the animes I've watched MOST of the english dubs are pretty bad.
 
Nov 27, 2017 10:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 226
Ainchael said:
Didn't expect to make a huge fuss over english dubs.. maybe I should have reworded it a bit better? From the animes I've watched MOST of the english dubs are pretty bad.

Well studies show a majority of anime is shit, so I guess that evens it out. LOL
 
Nov 27, 2017 10:54 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 82
RapeHorse said:
Ainchael said:
Didn't expect to make a huge fuss over english dubs.. maybe I should have reworded it a bit better? From the animes I've watched MOST of the english dubs are pretty bad.

Well studies show a majority of anime is shit, so I guess that evens it out. LOL

well tbh I only find a few animes good.. some of the seasonal animes are trash these days.
 
Nov 27, 2017 12:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 14423
RapeHorse said:
You could argue the same for luffy, but I guess he gets a pass for being voiced by a grandma because he's skinny.
Tbh I haven't heard many people complain about Nozawa either *shrug*

Once you get past the pitch of Nozawa's voice, and watch a good amount of OG DB you'll see how fitting the voice is when she ages it up.
I don't know if Super counts as OG DB, but I've seen all of it and I still dislike her voice.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
 
Nov 27, 2017 12:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 226
[/quote]
joe_g7 said:
RapeHorse said:
You could argue the same for luffy, but I guess he gets a pass for being voiced by a grandma because he's skinny.
Tbh I haven't heard many people complain about Nozawa either *shrug*

Once you get past the pitch of Nozawa's voice, and watch a good amount of OG DB you'll see how fitting the voice is when she ages it up.
I don't know if Super counts as OG DB, but I've seen all of it and I still dislike her voice.


OG DB as in the original 1986 Dragon Ball anime and then Z in Japanese. As good as Nozawa is age has caught up to her and her voice is much more rough and a bit more grating than in her prime in the 80's and early 90's. Hearing her Goku in Dragon Ball and listening to her age it up to Z Is similar to how Junko Takeuchi ages up her naruto voice throughout the series.
 
Nov 29, 2017 6:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 3013
The studios decide it of course. Im pretty sure they planned this out and consulted with the mangaka or author and had auditions and stuff to see what kind of seiyuu will fit in that character.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"


-Swagernator 2017
 
Nov 30, 2017 8:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 113
Not 100% sure, and it might depend on the staff or the company, but I've seen some manga artists (the original creator) be able to at least influence or suggest who should do the voice of certain characters, so I imagine if they can't get their first pick, they probably will choose someone who can do similar voices?
 
Top