Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 2, 2017 1:46 AM

Feb 2017
It's sad to see something so hyped up end up to be so flat and BORING!!!
Dec 2, 2017 10:24 AM

Aug 2016
I can't stop surprised by the great amount of details that are reflected in the animation, without a doubt Mahoutsukai no Yome has one of the most beautiful works that I have the luck to watch. It reminds me of the delicate care in uniting everything in a perfect way, a quality that has my favorite anime, Monogatari series.

5/5

Let's go home together, ruth.

Dec 2, 2017 10:37 AM

Aug 2013
Another beautiful episode.

Elias was scary in his transformed form.

The scene when Chise and Ruth made a pact and the insert song was amazing.

Dec 2, 2017 11:10 AM

Jan 2013
Amazing episode! One of the best animes from this season.
Would love to see Elias full potential. Chise got really insane in this episode, can't wait to see her using her powers!
Amazing episode, gotta love this anime!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Dec 4, 2017 1:53 PM

Jul 2009
Chise was so decided to act! So strong!
The pact part was so beautiful!
Dec 5, 2017 8:32 AM

Jul 2015
We get to see Elias go all out on the Chimera. I waiting for the all out fight for Elias and Joseph( I'm calling him this coz it's was easier) but i understand Chise fro stopping him.
When Joseph unleashed the other Chimera, I was like, Why???? why did they have to go and pick the head of Isabelle??
Good to see Chise almost go all out. Shows how much she's grown in the knowledge of a mage plus how she can take care of her self.
TBH i wasn't expecting the name Ruth (since he's a guy) but I'll just have to live with that.
Dec 11, 2017 8:28 AM

Sep 2015
Fine little episode. Adequately concluded last weeks. And set up Ruth for the future. I thought his story was one of the absolute saddest in the series so far. And this show's been surprisingly bleak. His whole Hachi story of being faithful jerked at my heart strings. And when he makes his familiar pact with Chise. It was so bittersweet. I can't wait to see what he does next. Ruth has a cool design and I like his personality. Want to see his role unfold.

So Chise's a lot tougher than she looks. I mean surviving that stab to the chest is one thing. But to bounce back so completely. She must have some amazing healing properties. Still I liked her talking Elias down a lot. They've already grown so much together. That she's not even frightened by his more beastly form. God damn that little mage is annoying. What a wretched character I was hoping he just got keboshed there at the end. He's not even a particularly interesting villain (yet). Just a loathsome one.
Dec 11, 2017 8:29 AM

Dec 2015
Strawberrycake48 said:

I just hope he doesn't end up largely ignored like Silky has been so far. Seriously, what is the point of her character? She's my only complaint in the series so far because she's added nothing. It sticks out like a sore thumb because all the other characters have pretty well-defined roles.

I'm just hoping she'll get an arc or something eventually. Can any manga readers give me a heads up??

Just because Silky doesn't participate in the same battles or the endeavors the main characters do does not mean she is actually useless or irrelevant. It's just that her 'usefulness' and true use is tied to the house that Chise goes to.

Just like how homemaker is one of the most underrated and unappreciated roles there is in a family.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dec 12, 2017 4:34 AM
Oct 2007
Smudy said:
Seriously, why is no one animating chains normally, lately chains in anime are solely CGI lol

Lol. Chain is a pain in the ass to draw even though it looks very cool. Try drawing chain with different perspective (just still image - no need animated), meaning the chain curve, maybe around a human. It's going to kill you if you are first off not experienced enough. It takes time even for someone experience but that time is not worth it most of the time. CGI save the artists to a certain extend to be honest. Haha
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2017 3:05 AM

Jan 2013
I like the pact between them but I felt like this was too rushed. I mean I know they saw within memories of each other but still
Dec 18, 2017 3:21 PM

Mar 2012
Oh, now I see why it's a shounen. It has the same bullshit where the main character gets mortally wounded yet somehow survives. Not to mention she's able to use some OP power when she barely knows anything about magic.

Best part is how Elias is stopped from killing the annoying brat of a main villain because he's not acting normally / being too savage. Just an excuse to not kill the guy off and keep him for screwing with the characters throughout the show.
Dec 24, 2017 12:34 PM

Mar 2017
I'm trying to acquire a taste for this show, but I am struggling.
Dec 26, 2017 11:00 AM

Jul 2012
The story of Ulysse and Isabelle was so sad 😭

"Am I not terrifying in this form?"
"You're right. I don't think you could get through the door being that tall."

What a great reply 😊
AndoDec 27, 2017 2:07 PM
Feb 10, 2018 5:45 PM

Oct 2012
This was failure of the episode...

- it was way too dark for most of the time, there were only two or three bright scenes and everything else was drown in needlessly dark filter.
- deus ex machina met horrible plot device - the writing was all over the place. "I have hole in my chest but it's okay, I just woke up", no healing is needed, nothing happened and I can walk normally (if she really shares some power with Elias, it's even worse as she can't possibly die and their strive to prevent her destiny is useless as it is lame. And it really bad she didn't even question whether she is still a human).
- "I just met you few moments ago but let's make a pact" This was probably the most wtf part of this episode, she met someone she didn't even know well and she already readily grows deep emotional bond with him and offer to share their life just based on one vision... how stilted is that? Whole developement with Ruth was rushed as hell and was really out of place in this stage of the anime. How can you introduce a character and in literally just the same moment expect that the viewer will grow some feelings for their barely started relationship? Instead of being something cool the pact completely absolutely lacked any impact.
- and Cartaphilus is not only annoying but also probably the worst charcter of this season. He acts as the plot dictates and he's just wretch representing biggest powers of the nature so why they even portrayed him as teenage boy that would deserve a big slap every time he speaks? o_O. Not only that but everyone didn't even try to do anything with him and they even calmed themself enough to try find a reason with him, even though he almost sliced them up just for fun and even though the sufferring he brought on them was immense.
- add the power Chise conveniently gained offscreen in the flashback, some random passerby oldster mage who randomly saved the day and also the fact that randomly they added some really out of place superdeformed pink scenes and you would be happy if your forehead doesn't hurt you a lot from all those facepalms.

Honestly, after this episode I really think about dropping this show, everything just turned from rather interesting to downright appalling. Right now, I don't think I even care about those characters anymore.
Feb 11, 2018 1:30 PM

Jan 2018
I am stoping here. I'v give it a chance and i dont think was worth it. Very good musuc tho.
Mar 31, 2018 6:52 AM
Jun 2017
So mages use fairies and sorcerers don't. that's the only difference right?
Aug 9, 2018 9:27 PM

May 2012
Another great episode if you ask me and with a new character in the picture it sure makes it even more interesting! Let's see what's next.
Sep 9, 2018 10:36 AM

Aug 2008
Figures as soon as Chise tries to do something useful she is prevented from doing so. Straight back to weak and passive.
Sep 12, 2018 6:29 PM

Oct 2013
Ah... what a magical, enchanting anime this is turning out to be. The potion-making, mantras, the rituals, the scenery; it's all so fairytale-like. Chise surviving that shot through the chest seems to have gone completely unexplained, but whatever.

Can't tell if Joseph is supposed to be our antagonist or not. He should make an interesting one, if so, as he's already established a human side to his character (perhaps ironically).

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 15, 2018 12:25 PM

Feb 2012
Hope this doesn't turn into reverse harem

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 18, 2018 9:25 AM

May 2013
Awww, Ruth :} I like the name. It's like it's derived from ruthless :D I'm really happy he became her familiar :') Protecting Chise from day 1 lol

Also. Chise and Elias both keep each other at bay <3333 it's quite nice ^.^ having a partner who makes sure you're safe and aren't going haywire
Jan 16, 2019 3:58 PM
Aug 2018
Last episode she didn't even know what a familiar was and now she already knows the spell to bond with one?
Oct 2, 2019 10:57 PM

Jan 2016
Fantastic episode, but -

They could have done a little bit better of a job explaining how the "chimera" connected to the caster. Wasn't really intuitive to me why Ulysee forming a pact with a new owner and killing Isabelle's chimera-form brought about Cartaphilius' demise ._.
Oct 4, 2019 9:39 PM

Mar 2015
That was pretty intense! That Cartiphilus guy is a piece of shit!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 7, 2019 7:39 AM

Sep 2018
The two stories that come together during the narration are interesting and intriguing. The context is very poignant when it comes to Ulysse, mysterious and ambiguous when the subject is the Cartaphilus character. Funny certain contexts, thanks to the characters so far known and interesting the atmosphere, thanks to the new character of Will or`The Wisp.
Dec 8, 2019 2:38 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great episode, good to see that Ruth is now the familiar of Chise
Mar 1, 2020 10:34 AM

Apr 2013
The pact between Ruth and Chise was a bit too fast I think, but otherwise it was a good episode. Though that little shit seems to be quite strong, guess he has to be defeated later in the show.
Mar 13, 2020 5:18 PM

May 2010
So you are telling me that she got stabbed in the back and was talking fine because she had a dream?

And you also telling me that Caprapeowrawe whatever the hell his name is just stood there and let the pact happened?

Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 24, 2020 1:26 PM

Mar 2010
That black dog Ruth just does not seem reliable to me :l I hope she can make more pacts with familiars. Somewhat like a tamer and have a army lolz

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 20, 2020 4:12 AM
Feb 2019
I haven't read the manga, some people say this episode was rushed and to some extent I agree but this was the best episode so far, the emotional moment at the end with the girl dying while trying to talk to Ruth was pretty sad, it brought a tear to my eyes and if an anime pulls that off then they did it right.
Resus-2Jul 27, 2020 4:58 PM
Sep 14, 2020 2:57 PM

Feb 2017
For the first time, the pacing felt a little rushed. Specifically, Ruth becoming Chise’s familiar that quickly.

That being said I’m still completely on board with the show and everything else that happened this episode.

I am also curious to see where his character goes; he seems promising.
Dec 20, 2020 1:52 PM

Jul 2017
Awesome episode as usual from this show, not even surprised given how consistently great the quality has been with the first third of the anime as a whole, especially as an adaptation that feels more lively and beautiful than the manga to a degree. Easily the highlight of the episode was the presentation of the pact between Chise and Ruth, as the sequence was animated and drawn beautifully with such a beautiful song used for it too and the incantations being really nicely done, especially in the dub form that I'm rewatching it in. Ruth managed to move on from Isabel and Isabel managed to finally move on to the afterlife via the assistance of a Will-o’-the-wisp in the forest. Pretty brutal stuff for him to go through let alone Isabel, and the amount of times he was waiting at her grave for her to come to him was depressing, felt like seeing a child cry out for her mother to return but it just never happened. At least now, he's set her free and has moved on to help serve someone who he quickly felt compassionate to help and protect in Chise, and they travel together home alongside Elias. Nice to see him now not have to be alone again for now.

Final words about this episode - fuck Cartaphilius too.
Mar 16, 2021 6:39 PM
Mar 2018
I kind of felt bad for Elias in this episode. Chise said that she didn't want to be alone anymore, so she made a pact. The pact is not a big deal, but those words made me feel sad.
Jun 15, 2021 4:43 PM

Jan 2021
I really like the ending theme after an episode ends the way it fades then transitions to the music its calming

Oct 24, 2021 3:17 PM

Jan 2021
I loved how Chise's first reaction to seeing Elias's monstrous form was to say how he wouldn't fit through the house door, while he's backing away thinking it disgusted her. Strangely cute.
Dec 7, 2021 9:13 AM
Nov 2020
I love Elias there. When he goes "You're just a monster in a human form" I get the feeling he's thinking something like "At least I don't hide my true nature. Unlike you."
Sep 21, 2022 3:16 PM
Jan 2017
Every episode is so touching and almost makes me shed a tear, and this is no exception
Oct 25, 2022 1:28 AM

May 2020
Well of course a gun isn't enough to take him down, like no way it'd be that easy-peasy lol. Chise losing herself was an unexpected hype worthy moment, though it didn't last that long. Anyways good thing they fucked lil boy, he won't come chasing for a while.
Dec 25, 2022 9:01 PM

Nov 2022
It looks like Chise got really close to using some "dark/forbidden" magic that comes at a price. Both she and Elias lost/nearly lost control this episode, and it looks like the aftermath of that is coming next

Although, it was nice to see Chise have such powerful emotions and how easily she's able to smile now.
Dec 31, 2022 11:51 PM

Jul 2022
Ruth? Sirius Black will be your name
Jan 15, 2023 7:24 AM
Jan 2023
Really emotional, this is the first anime to portrait an actual relationship.
Jan 15, 2023 7:26 AM
Jan 2023
G_Spark233 said:
I wish they did a better job explaining how Chise survived but I really liked her in this episode.
she survived because she's the main character and there are 16 episodes left
Feb 11, 2023 7:37 PM

Jan 2021
Isabelle and Ulysse's backstory was very sad T---T

I'm glad to see he has Chise now to call him by a new name, take him to a new home and give him the warmth he hasn't felt in a long time ♡♡

Jun 26, 2023 10:01 PM
Jul 2022
CLIFF HANGER I SEE, KICK THEIR ASS ELIAS!
Jun 29, 2023 9:47 PM

Jul 2008
What that punk did to Isabel.....ugh I hate spiders.

And the son of god cursed him????? JUDAS?????????????? Either way he needs to die.

Also, what's in Elias' back and.....HOW THE HELL IS CHISE ALIVE?!?! SHE WAS IMPALED!!!!!
Aug 12, 2023 6:35 PM

Aug 2019
she got a dog when there was a town full of cats ;(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2023 5:55 PM

Jan 2010
One thing that bugs me about shows revolving around magic is how magic can apparently solve everything. Since magic has no grounding in reality, writers can arbitrarily decide what magic can and can't do. If they mumbo jumbo enough, then I'd be willing to believe anything. I have nothing against Ancient Magus' Bride in this regard, it's just a personal gripe. That being said, I'd be lying if I didn't at least take notice of how often Chise is able to suddenly either magic her way out of problems, or someone else magics her away from it.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.