Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 27, 2017 10:09 AM

Dec 2016
This was a good episode, but some of scenes were super dull / low contrast in color -- almost difficult to see what was going.

I thought there may be something wrong with my tv, but I checked and those same scenes looked just as low contrast on my iPad.

I think I've noticed this before from this series, but this was the first episode where I found all the dull frames to be pretty distracting.... which is so weird since other frames are incredibly bright and amazing.

Every scene doesn't need to be super bright and vivid, but something seemed off this time...

Or maybe I'm just crazy......
-___-
Nov 27, 2017 11:56 AM

Jun 2017
LaPokota said:
This was a good episode, but some of scenes were super dull / low contrast in color -- almost difficult to see what was going.

I thought there may be something wrong with my tv, but I checked and those same scenes looked just as low contrast on my iPad.

I think I've noticed this before from this series, but this was the first episode where I found all the dull frames to be pretty distracting.... which is so weird since other frames are incredibly bright and amazing.

Every scene doesn't need to be super bright and vivid, but something seemed off this time...

-___-

Don't wanna nitpick but they were in a cemetery there, that place ain't screams bright and vivid to me lol.
Nov 27, 2017 12:59 PM
Jun 2015
This anime is fucking great. I think it may become a new 10/10 for me
Nov 27, 2017 4:22 PM
Nov 2017
LaPokota said:

-___-

Well, seeing a crazy fellow is always a relief :)
Cemetery night is understandably suppoused to be dim but not being able to distinguish the pictures properly and having to check the adjustment of the monitor turned out to be somewhat annoying, at least for me :/
Nov 27, 2017 4:51 PM

Sep 2011
I kind of wish I could have seen Chise go all out, but I can understand why Elias stopped her. It was still cool though :P

I knew about Ruth becoming her familiar from the opening and the OVAs. I hope this won't become a romantic thing from his part later in any way.
A bit surprised though that Chise already knew the incantation. Maybe Elias already taught her before... or just knew it from some kind of "instinct".

The Will-o'-the-wisp guy was pretty fun :D Hope to see more of him later.

What was that at the back of Elias? Did Cartaphilus do something to him? Or perhaps it was some kind of side effect from his transformation... (at first I thought it was Chise's arm around him, but it doesn't seem like it).

Nov 27, 2017 7:04 PM
Apr 2015
Ishida Akira's voice was so cute <3
Nov 28, 2017 12:05 AM
Jul 2016
My favorite episode so far. That was soo beautiful T-T
The bond between Elias and Chise get stronger every episode.Now Chise also has an lovely companion for the rest of her life (Ruth). I cry my eyes out and my room is fooded with tears...Its so beatiful

PS: The Zwirrlight was pretty funny.
Nov 28, 2017 12:13 AM

Oct 2008
Such a wonderful episode!
Angry Chise is badass!
who did sing the insert song? it was great!
5/5.

Nov 28, 2017 1:13 AM

Feb 2014
HoroSecretDiary said:
Something happened to Elia's back when returning home.

Was a side effect/wounds from the transformation?.

I cant wait to see her going all out!, she did what with the crystal when she didnt even know nothing about magic, I cant wait to see her true powers.

Hoping that it'll lead to something crazy happening later in the future. Like Cartaphilus killing off Elias and Chise going op op mode.
Nov 28, 2017 4:44 AM
Pervy Sage

Oct 2017
AnotherGuy said:
Code_Lies said:
Milo? Why the hell would she gave him the name of a hot chocolate Nestle drink

Cause he's a dog and Milo is a dog's name.

Anyway, I think people are right about the mangaka going for the meaning and not realizing it was a woman's name. Ruth is kind of a rare name and the author is Japanese, so it'd be hard for him to know this.

I sincerely doubt the mangaka didn't know. If she was going for the meaning, then she would also realize that it's a woman's name. And yes, it's a "she", not a he. The mangaka is called Kore Yamazaki and she's a woman. Given that this manga reads like proper literature and not like the average comic book, I'd say almost nothing in it is accidental. Kore Yamazaki must have done quite a bit of research, as there is quite a bit of Celtic lore and mythology in this series.

While at first I thought it dumb that Ruth has a female name, upon closer inspection it might either refer to the English word rue or ruth (from which the word "ruthless" comes from) or be a play on both words and the name Ruth. "Ruth", from Middle English "ruthe" or "reuthe" has several meanings which connect easily to Ruth's character: sorrow, misery, compassion, distress, etc. It is entirely possible that Kore Yamazaki doesn't know about this word, but I personally find it unlikely that she would choose the name Ruth based on its Biblical meaning which is obviously from Hebrew and thus unrelated to the English word 'ruth' which may have come from Old Norse hryggth, and/or is probably (also) related to German Reue which means repentance or regret. Why do I say this? Because it fits too perfectly, meaning-wise, and from her interviews, I don't get the sense that anything she writes is random. This deliberate choice on her part is especially likely given that as you stated earlier, the name "Ruth" is very uncommon today.

I don't know how Elias (from Hebrew Elijah) connects to the character, but thus far I'd say neither Chise's name nor Ruth's name are accidental.

The real question is: How does Chise, a girl from Japan, know of the name Ruth, and if she does know it from having read it in a book, why doesn't she know it's a woman's name? Names are very important things where magic is concerned, so it seems strange to give your familiar a name that doesn't fit his gender.

P.S. Milo is a terrible name, even if he's a dog. Its origin and meaning aren't well-known. I'll take Ruth over Milo any day, even if it's the wrong gender, lol.
Devil-FlamingoNov 28, 2017 4:58 AM
Nov 28, 2017 9:46 AM
Nov 2017
Daaaaamn this episode was great; Getting to see Elias' transformation as well as Chise's power was cool (Too bad Elias stopped her because of the world's law). And of course Chise finnally has her familliar. And fuck Ruth's stories was fucking sad.
Nov 28, 2017 11:27 AM

Oct 2016
God damn, if I wasn't so taken by Net-juu no Susume, I'd hand this show Anime of Season. Year, maybe?
Nov 29, 2017 1:03 AM

Dec 2015
Animation quality was impeccable although pacing was really rushed and probably should have taken 2 episodes since Ruth is a main char. It also seems like Elias has lost some of his humanity after all that...

Fuck that psychopath antagonist.
~
Nov 29, 2017 8:08 AM
Feb 2015
Chise gets stabbed in chest and walks like it's nothing. Yeah, """""""weak body""""""", sure. Anime logic wins again.
And why Elias wasn't pulverized when he hugged her if his hand was?
Nov 29, 2017 7:14 PM

Sep 2017
Simply brilliant! It triggers a switch in my heart and draws me closer to the characters and the world they live in. The music played during Chise and Ruths pact was golden.
Nov 29, 2017 7:28 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Again the rhythm was cool!!

Hello, my litte boy!

Nov 30, 2017 3:09 PM

Aug 2016
Good episode, Isabelle/chimera still creepy af as in the manga.

The next arc is my favorite. I hope they give it ample time.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Nov 30, 2017 7:48 PM

May 2013
Like every episode, I cried. It didn't make me sob like the line "the living shouldn't envy the dead" but there were still some pretty intense feels. This is def a 10/10 anime. Utter masterpiece. I think it might be the second best anime I've ever seen, after Haibane Renmei, of course, which is the best piece of visual media ever made in the history of humankind. Even just coming close to Haibane is a feat for any anime, I'd say. 10/10.
PalePurpleNov 30, 2017 7:54 PM
落下のように、いつも落ちる。いつか救われることができるのかな? または落ち続けるでしょうか?永遠に
Dec 1, 2017 1:09 AM
Oct 2015
I really enjoy theses vocal OSTs because it's able to set the atmosphere better than the normal non-vocal OSTs.
Heckle was here...
Dec 1, 2017 10:31 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Beautiful draw again!!
Well, i am happy that this arc end happily, although was predictable if you watched the OVAs!!!
It was a surprise the character of the "Blue Fire"!!!

Hello, my litte boy!

Dec 2, 2017 1:46 AM

Feb 2017
It's sad to see something so hyped up end up to be so flat and BORING!!!
Dec 2, 2017 10:24 AM

Aug 2016
I can't stop surprised by the great amount of details that are reflected in the animation, without a doubt Mahoutsukai no Yome has one of the most beautiful works that I have the luck to watch. It reminds me of the delicate care in uniting everything in a perfect way, a quality that has my favorite anime, Monogatari series.

5/5

Let's go home together, ruth.

Dec 2, 2017 10:37 AM

Aug 2013
Another beautiful episode.

Elias was scary in his transformed form.

The scene when Chise and Ruth made a pact and the insert song was amazing.

Dec 2, 2017 11:10 AM

Jan 2013
Amazing episode! One of the best animes from this season.
Would love to see Elias full potential. Chise got really insane in this episode, can't wait to see her using her powers!
Amazing episode, gotta love this anime!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Dec 4, 2017 1:53 PM

Jul 2009
Chise was so decided to act! So strong!
The pact part was so beautiful!
Dec 5, 2017 8:32 AM

Jul 2015
We get to see Elias go all out on the Chimera. I waiting for the all out fight for Elias and Joseph( I'm calling him this coz it's was easier) but i understand Chise fro stopping him.
When Joseph unleashed the other Chimera, I was like, Why???? why did they have to go and pick the head of Isabelle??
Good to see Chise almost go all out. Shows how much she's grown in the knowledge of a mage plus how she can take care of her self.
TBH i wasn't expecting the name Ruth (since he's a guy) but I'll just have to live with that.
Dec 11, 2017 8:28 AM

Sep 2015
Fine little episode. Adequately concluded last weeks. And set up Ruth for the future. I thought his story was one of the absolute saddest in the series so far. And this show's been surprisingly bleak. His whole Hachi story of being faithful jerked at my heart strings. And when he makes his familiar pact with Chise. It was so bittersweet. I can't wait to see what he does next. Ruth has a cool design and I like his personality. Want to see his role unfold.

So Chise's a lot tougher than she looks. I mean surviving that stab to the chest is one thing. But to bounce back so completely. She must have some amazing healing properties. Still I liked her talking Elias down a lot. They've already grown so much together. That she's not even frightened by his more beastly form. God damn that little mage is annoying. What a wretched character I was hoping he just got keboshed there at the end. He's not even a particularly interesting villain (yet). Just a loathsome one.
Dec 11, 2017 8:29 AM

Dec 2015
Strawberrycake48 said:

I just hope he doesn't end up largely ignored like Silky has been so far. Seriously, what is the point of her character? She's my only complaint in the series so far because she's added nothing. It sticks out like a sore thumb because all the other characters have pretty well-defined roles.

I'm just hoping she'll get an arc or something eventually. Can any manga readers give me a heads up??

Just because Silky doesn't participate in the same battles or the endeavors the main characters do does not mean she is actually useless or irrelevant. It's just that her 'usefulness' and true use is tied to the house that Chise goes to.

Just like how homemaker is one of the most underrated and unappreciated roles there is in a family.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dec 12, 2017 4:34 AM
Oct 2007
Smudy said:
Seriously, why is no one animating chains normally, lately chains in anime are solely CGI lol

Lol. Chain is a pain in the ass to draw even though it looks very cool. Try drawing chain with different perspective (just still image - no need animated), meaning the chain curve, maybe around a human. It's going to kill you if you are first off not experienced enough. It takes time even for someone experience but that time is not worth it most of the time. CGI save the artists to a certain extend to be honest. Haha
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2017 3:05 AM

Jan 2013
I like the pact between them but I felt like this was too rushed. I mean I know they saw within memories of each other but still
Dec 18, 2017 3:21 PM

Mar 2012
Oh, now I see why it's a shounen. It has the same bullshit where the main character gets mortally wounded yet somehow survives. Not to mention she's able to use some OP power when she barely knows anything about magic.

Best part is how Elias is stopped from killing the annoying brat of a main villain because he's not acting normally / being too savage. Just an excuse to not kill the guy off and keep him for screwing with the characters throughout the show.
Dec 24, 2017 12:34 PM

Mar 2017
I'm trying to acquire a taste for this show, but I am struggling.
Dec 26, 2017 11:00 AM

Jul 2012
The story of Ulysse and Isabelle was so sad 😭

"Am I not terrifying in this form?"
"You're right. I don't think you could get through the door being that tall."

What a great reply 😊
AndoDec 27, 2017 2:07 PM
Feb 10, 2018 5:45 PM

Oct 2012
This was failure of the episode...

- it was way too dark for most of the time, there were only two or three bright scenes and everything else was drown in needlessly dark filter.
- deus ex machina met horrible plot device - the writing was all over the place. "I have hole in my chest but it's okay, I just woke up", no healing is needed, nothing happened and I can walk normally (if she really shares some power with Elias, it's even worse as she can't possibly die and their strive to prevent her destiny is useless as it is lame. And it really bad she didn't even question whether she is still a human).
- "I just met you few moments ago but let's make a pact" This was probably the most wtf part of this episode, she met someone she didn't even know well and she already readily grows deep emotional bond with him and offer to share their life just based on one vision... how stilted is that? Whole developement with Ruth was rushed as hell and was really out of place in this stage of the anime. How can you introduce a character and in literally just the same moment expect that the viewer will grow some feelings for their barely started relationship? Instead of being something cool the pact completely absolutely lacked any impact.
- and Cartaphilus is not only annoying but also probably the worst charcter of this season. He acts as the plot dictates and he's just wretch representing biggest powers of the nature so why they even portrayed him as teenage boy that would deserve a big slap every time he speaks? o_O. Not only that but everyone didn't even try to do anything with him and they even calmed themself enough to try find a reason with him, even though he almost sliced them up just for fun and even though the sufferring he brought on them was immense.
- add the power Chise conveniently gained offscreen in the flashback, some random passerby oldster mage who randomly saved the day and also the fact that randomly they added some really out of place superdeformed pink scenes and you would be happy if your forehead doesn't hurt you a lot from all those facepalms.

Honestly, after this episode I really think about dropping this show, everything just turned from rather interesting to downright appalling. Right now, I don't think I even care about those characters anymore.
Feb 11, 2018 1:30 PM

Jan 2018
I am stoping here. I'v give it a chance and i dont think was worth it. Very good musuc tho.
Mar 31, 2018 6:52 AM
Jun 2017
So mages use fairies and sorcerers don't. that's the only difference right?
Aug 9, 2018 9:27 PM

May 2012
Another great episode if you ask me and with a new character in the picture it sure makes it even more interesting! Let's see what's next.
Sep 9, 2018 10:36 AM

Aug 2008
Figures as soon as Chise tries to do something useful she is prevented from doing so. Straight back to weak and passive.
Sep 12, 2018 6:29 PM

Oct 2013
Ah... what a magical, enchanting anime this is turning out to be. The potion-making, mantras, the rituals, the scenery; it's all so fairytale-like. Chise surviving that shot through the chest seems to have gone completely unexplained, but whatever.

Can't tell if Joseph is supposed to be our antagonist or not. He should make an interesting one, if so, as he's already established a human side to his character (perhaps ironically).

Discord: Zadihime#0202
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 15, 2018 12:25 PM

Feb 2012
Hope this doesn't turn into reverse harem

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 18, 2018 9:25 AM

May 2013
Awww, Ruth :} I like the name. It's like it's derived from ruthless :D I'm really happy he became her familiar :') Protecting Chise from day 1 lol

Also. Chise and Elias both keep each other at bay <3333 it's quite nice ^.^ having a partner who makes sure you're safe and aren't going haywire
Jan 16, 2019 3:58 PM
Aug 2018
Last episode she didn't even know what a familiar was and now she already knows the spell to bond with one?
Oct 2, 2019 10:57 PM

Jan 2016
Fantastic episode, but -

They could have done a little bit better of a job explaining how the "chimera" connected to the caster. Wasn't really intuitive to me why Ulysee forming a pact with a new owner and killing Isabelle's chimera-form brought about Cartaphilius' demise ._.
Oct 4, 2019 9:39 PM

Mar 2015
That was pretty intense! That Cartiphilus guy is a piece of shit!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 7, 2019 7:39 AM

Sep 2018
The two stories that come together during the narration are interesting and intriguing. The context is very poignant when it comes to Ulysse, mysterious and ambiguous when the subject is the Cartaphilus character. Funny certain contexts, thanks to the characters so far known and interesting the atmosphere, thanks to the new character of Will or`The Wisp.
Dec 8, 2019 2:38 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great episode, good to see that Ruth is now the familiar of Chise
Mar 1, 2020 10:34 AM

Apr 2013
The pact between Ruth and Chise was a bit too fast I think, but otherwise it was a good episode. Though that little shit seems to be quite strong, guess he has to be defeated later in the show.
Mar 13, 2020 5:18 PM

May 2010
So you are telling me that she got stabbed in the back and was talking fine because she had a dream?

And you also telling me that Caprapeowrawe whatever the hell his name is just stood there and let the pact happened?

Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 24, 2020 1:26 PM

Mar 2010
That black dog Ruth just does not seem reliable to me :l I hope she can make more pacts with familiars. Somewhat like a tamer and have a army lolz

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 20, 2020 4:12 AM
Feb 2019
I haven't read the manga, some people say this episode was rushed and to some extent I agree but this was the best episode so far, the emotional moment at the end with the girl dying while trying to talk to Ruth was pretty sad, it brought a tear to my eyes and if an anime pulls that off then they did it right.
Resus-2Jul 27, 2020 4:58 PM
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

242 by Halogen911 »»
Jan 23, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 17, 2018

90 by Wachsmalstift »»
Jan 19, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2018

78 by Ryo-Kunj »»
Jan 15, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

116 by Wachsmalstift »»
Jan 15, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

140 by Wachsmalstift »»
Jan 13, 2:36 PM