Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 25, 2017 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mm, interesting episode. The drama revolving Hina fades as the show is building up for the upcoming shogi matches. Thank goodness Rei helped out Hina and her family.

Nikaidou bought in a good amount of humor into this episode. Lol, princes.

Rei's shogi match is interesting. It got down to business pretty fast and the narratives coming from is his usual inner thoughts. Overall, good stuff.

Nov 25, 2017 8:07 AM

Apr 2014
What a nice talk with Hina but holy shit I lost myself in the fight with grandpa. The comedy the first half was excellent. Another visually exciting episode. I am glad the second half is shoji I was beginning to miss the internal dialog while Rei is at work. It's always enjoyable to see.

Overall a good episode amidst the episodes of deep emotional trauma. Shaft is getting more SHAFTy as we go along and I LOVE IT.
Nov 25, 2017 10:04 AM

Apr 2016
Evil grandpa and aunt win this episode. Good to see actual shogi match for a change lol.
Nov 25, 2017 10:09 AM

Mar 2008
It's confirmed for me, the teacher is truly a sorry piece of shit. She is still making it out to be Hina's fault. If I was Hina I would have asked the bitch why she is so ignorant and stupid!?

On a lighter note, it was nice to see Rei's match.
Nov 25, 2017 10:12 AM

Dec 2014
Excellent episode again.

The cat sleeping on Hina and Rei getting it off her was hilarious.
Loved the part where Hina thanked Rei. :)

Hina's teacher sucks, it's as simple as that.

Evil Grandpa and Aunt were epic, I laughed so hard at that. XD
Lovely scene with Rei telling Akari that he was there for Hina too.

Nikaidou's exaggerations are always hilarious. He always cracks me up, I also loved the part where Rei tells Nikaidou that he'll be fine.

Been a while since we had a full Shogi game and Rei's opponent this time was a pretty interesting but with some obnoxious tendencies. xD
I love how Rei was thinking to himself that Hachiya is just some arrogant dude who thinks the world revolves around him but then the President and Smith told him that he was exactly like that. XDD
It's an interesting comparison though, Hachiya on one hand is easy to read and open while Rei on the other side is closed off and very difficult to read. On the inside the two of them might be more similar than ever. Smith did give Rei some nice advice though.
Nov 25, 2017 10:13 AM

Mar 2016
I LOVE REI SO MUCHHHHH
THIS ANIME IS SO FLAWLESS. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT
Nov 25, 2017 10:25 AM

Jun 2015
Hina's teacher is so ignorant, telling her to get along with everyone. Evil Grandpa and Aunt was great. That was pretty funny. It's amusing to watch Nikaidou every time. Loved it when Rei said he'll be fine. The shogi match was interesting. Hachiya was certainly annoying. Rei was thinking to himself that Hachiya is just some guy who thinks the world revolves around him, but the President and Smith said the same thing to him xD.
Nov 25, 2017 10:38 AM

Jul 2013
Holy shit, the dude who had the match with Rei this episode was a complete nightmare. If I would be in Rei's place, I don't think I would had be able to deal with all those noises. There was a point when it was getting on my nerves, though I ended liking the guy at the end, since it seems he is not really an asshole, just a very stubborn (and noisy) person, and he is pretty funny.
I was wondering why Smith and the old man were admonishing Rei at the end of the match, it turns out Rei's opponent was not going to let him escape till they ended discussing the match, lmao. Being Rei is suffering indeed.

And Hina's teacher is still avoiding her responsabilities... They should throw the Kawamoto's grandpa and aunt to her to see her reaction xD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Nov 25, 2017 10:51 AM

May 2016
Great episode though the second part was kinda not my thing but hey this show is about a shogi player.

Mod Edit: Removed Line.
Koito91Jan 29, 2022 1:48 PM
Nov 25, 2017 11:01 AM

Sep 2013
4/5- Rei continues to evolve as a character and each week I'm enjoying seeing different sides of him. Never thought I'd hear him yell like that in public...even though the situation didn't warrant it. I think he's hanging around with Nikaidou too much.

This episode had a pretty good amount of light-hearted humor in it and I enjoyed every comedy skit in this episode. That grandpa and aunt scene was so far left field that it caught me off guard. I didn't expect something like that out of this series but it was awesome!

Thank god Rei beat that annoying guy. I'd hate it if he lost to someone like that. I never knew how much I hated tongue clicking sounds until this episode came around. I really hope we don't see him again....and he comes back to end the episode. Jesus Christ man, STOP. I did find it hilarious that after Rei had to deal with him all day...he has to review with that guy so he pretty much spent the day with him haha.

I'm very disappointed in that teacher. Are you fucking kidding me? Here I thought you were going to do something about it. Instead she pins the blame on Hina?! It's like telling someone to get along with the person who is punching you in the face.

Screw that teacher. If someone punches her in the face, I'd like to tell her to take the punch better and try to get along with her attacker. I'm almost to the point where I'm rooting for Hina to respond with violence though I'm sure she won't stoop that low.
TehSnawnNov 25, 2017 11:31 PM

Nov 25, 2017 11:15 AM

Sep 2013
Good lord that teacher is useless. You can only play the ignorance card so much before Grandpa comes down on ya.
Nov 25, 2017 11:24 AM

Jun 2014
This teacher is truly pathetic. She's STILL trying to victim-blame so she doesn't have to actually do something and intervene. Well, there's no cure for ignorance.

Good to see some shogi again, and Rei's opponent this time around was pretty obnoxious. In an environment like that, have some decency for the people around you.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 25, 2017 11:37 AM

Dec 2015
How is that dumbass teacher not fired yet? Jeez, just let their Aunt take over and she'll show them xDD
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 25, 2017 11:39 AM

Sep 2015
Is there a 20/10? Because if there is, I would rate this anime such.
Nov 25, 2017 11:53 AM

Jul 2014
One of the weaker episodes of this second season, but I suppose this is bound to happen every now and then. However, it was annoying how they constantly interrupted the tone of the bridge scene with comedy though, as that would have been a really good sequence otherwise. As it was, the best part was the unsurprising reveal that the teacher is in denial to a ridiculous degree: her reaction made me ridiculously angry, so it was very easy to empathise with Kiriyama's reaction to that.
Nov 25, 2017 11:59 AM

Nov 2009
Monster Grandpa hahaha

Another strong episode, gonna start reading the manga at this point. Need to know how Hina's bullying situation resolves and if there's any romantic progression between she and Rei
Nov 25, 2017 12:20 PM
Mar 2015
The teacher telling Hina to accept the bullying is ridiculous. It is not her fault. Glad Rei lends his support to Hina and Akari
Nov 25, 2017 12:47 PM

Mar 2016
Not sure if there is a substantial difference between this season and the first, but I have yet to be engaged as I was previously. It's overwrought enough to snuff out any of the humanity that it seems to be trying to convey. Also, I don't think it's possible for the bullying story to be made any more simplistic. That's fine as long as people don't try to call it, 'realistic.'
syncrogazerNov 25, 2017 12:52 PM
Nov 25, 2017 1:04 PM

Sep 2014
Lol was not expecting Monster Grandpa.
Amazing episode all around.
Lets see whats going to happen with that lousy teacher..
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 25, 2017 1:13 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Fuck this teacher, seriously. Had the same reaction as Hina and Rei. She needs to be fired immediately.

Rei growing through all this is so satisfying to see, he even yelled on the bridge and Akari is seriously grateful. She is too good for this world, loved that scene.

Comedy on point again, huge grandpa LOL

The shogi match was tense, all the sounds Hachi made would make me furious but Rei stayed calm (on the outside).
Nov 25, 2017 1:19 PM

Nov 2016
Jesus, I would like to slap some sense in Hinas teacher -.-

The imagery of grandpa and auntie were pricesless lmao.

Also liked the focus on Reis character development,this has been really amazing since the beginning.

Reis opponent this time was a strange fellow, to say he's annoying would be sn understatement.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 25, 2017 1:27 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.

Glad Rei is there to support Akari & Hina.
DAMN that teacher is useless.

Hachiya really is irritating. Poor Rei.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 25, 2017 1:38 PM

Nov 2016
I'm rating this season 10 right now. I loved how they adapted Rei's match against Hachiya.

The scene when Rei gets attacked by the dogs was hilarious. And that echo tho! XD
Nov 25, 2017 1:42 PM
Jul 2014
I seriously want Kiriyama to go to her class and straighten everything out.
Nov 25, 2017 2:16 PM

Nov 2014
The teacher is so irritating.
Nov 25, 2017 3:07 PM

Apr 2014
syncrogazer said:
Not sure if there is a substantial difference between this season and the first, but I have yet to be engaged as I was previously. It's overwrought enough to snuff out any of the humanity that it seems to be trying to convey. Also, I don't think it's possible for the bullying story to be made any more simplistic. That's fine as long as people don't try to call it, 'realistic.'
Lol it is realistic tho. Just because you lived in ur own bubbled doesnt mean other people havent been through the same situtation. Also you need to understand the cultural difference. This is common place in japan where as this type of bullying and handling of the situation might be considered rare in your area.
Nov 25, 2017 3:33 PM

Oct 2013
A smooth blending of drama and humor this episode. Akari has an awesome imagination and Rei's shogi opponent with his tongue clicking, fan snapping, leg bouncing, and finger drumming. I laughed when Rei won and Smith and the older player (Matsunaga??) blame Rei instead of Hachi.
Nov 25, 2017 3:41 PM

Mar 2016
moodie said:
syncrogazer said:
Lol it is realistic tho. Just because you lived in ur own bubbled doesnt mean other people havent been through the same situtation. Also you need to understand the cultural difference. This is common place in japan where as this type of bullying and handling of the situation might be considered rare in your area.

You managed to not only miss the point but you also read too much into my post. Good job.
Nov 25, 2017 4:43 PM

Oct 2012
Illyricus said:
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It's Shaft, I bet it was quite intentional :D (and they even repeated this angle three-times :))

Really great imagery this time. The teacher is confirmed so weak she shouldn't be teaching in the first place.. such people only teaches this is a norm, nice critique of japanese schoolship btw. Really like the dynamics of Akari/Hina/Rei lately.

Hachiya was surely annoying and again, it was Rei who was scolded because he was the easiest target (this was pretty much parallel to what Hina is going through). Served him right that he lose though, the match was nicely done (although Hachiya himself is nothing special, I really hope he's not returning character, he's really just one-trick-pony, annoying as hell).
Nov 25, 2017 5:23 PM

Aug 2015
I can't wait for that teacher to get yelled at by someone, and i really hope its rei who does it. i wanna see him get super angry at either the bullies or the teacher, or both.

Anyway, interesting episode. im actually angry just thinking about poor Hina

Nov 25, 2017 5:58 PM

Nov 2014
There's a nice mix of shogi and bullying in this episode and I'm really glad that Rei didn't make the same mistake he made last season with Shimada, that was definitely on my mind during the shogi match with Hachiya particularly when he seemed distracted.
Forum Signature
Nov 25, 2017 6:09 PM

Jun 2014
Excellent episode this week. Perfect balance between chilling with the Kawamoto household and playing shogi. And the shogi match showed a great play by play with a lot of detail into the characters minds.
Nov 25, 2017 7:54 PM

Jan 2014
That teacher is so oblivious it hurts.

And I wonder what they meant by they think Rei has "the world revolves around me" mentality. Maybe because Rei believes everyone should have his sympathetic mindset? It would have been easier to put all the blame on his opponent for inconveniencing the others around them, but the author obviously did this on purpose to make a point.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 25, 2017 9:22 PM

Apr 2016
Grandpa needs to set that so-called "teacher" straight! By not disciplining the kids, she's passively instructing her students, telling them that the hierarchical status quo is acceptable, and the problem will only persist and spread. I can sympathize with the idea that perhaps it would be too borthersome - and risky - to call up the bully's parents and deal with their parents (especially if the school's higher-up's want to maintain a clean image and won't back up the teacher), but the teacher comes across as ignorant and/or delusional rather than being in a tight spot. If she couldn't do anything (without losing her job), then the least she could've done would be to console Hina, but nope.
Nov 26, 2017 12:08 AM

Jan 2013
Nice to finally focus on a Shogi match. Great episode as usual.
Nov 26, 2017 12:45 AM
Nov 2016
Pretty solid episode. It was funny in parts and serious in other. Re finally told Akari that she can rely on him if need be.

The cats are so damn funny lol. Even Nikaidou gave rise to some funny scenes.

Rei's shogi match was pretty damn good. It's was very interesting.
Nov 26, 2017 2:53 AM

Apr 2015
Said this last time but the antagonists are a bit too antagonist for my liking

The realtime sound effects were really good.
Nov 26, 2017 3:27 AM
Jul 2018
The comedy in this episode didn't ruin it for me and actually it was pretty funny but dang that teacher.

I mean ladies and gentleman, we have new shittiest character and probably the frustrating thing is that people like her exist but MY GOD! IF I HAVE TO SEE ONE MORE TIME THAT UGLY PIECE OF SHIT, WHO DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT HINA'S SITUATION, THEN MY GOD I WILL CRUSH THAT IRRITATING ASSHOLE LIKE A MOSQUITO!!! I MEAN YOU JUST DON'T GET AWAY WITH JUST ACTING LIKE AN ASS.

But overall this was great episode. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Nov 26, 2017 7:01 AM

May 2015
Akari's peaches are quite big too. :))))

Monster grandpa FTW. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 26, 2017 7:33 AM

Feb 2015
Just had to boost my current score to 10/10. I LOVE this anime. The characters are all so real, ahh it really is the best.
Nov 26, 2017 10:11 AM

Feb 2014
Ahh, Shaft.....I really love it when you have a strong focus on how big and marvelous those peaches were, being showcased by Akari while the camera was panned at something even more impressive than the peaches. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Anyway, back to the serious part of the episode and I wouldn't want to be in Rei's position when he defeated Hachiya in the semi-finals. A match that went for longer than 8 hours and he had to put up with Hachiya's constant tongue-clicking, leg shaking, fan tapping as well as a heavy emphasis on his shogi moves. Honestly, I would tell Hachiya to calm down and stop being so irritated and impatient. >__<

The teacher, on the other hand, is one really spineless piece of rubbish. After Hina's stunt in the previous episode, she gets called to the teacher's office to be told to "get along with everyone". Seriously? Rather than accepting that Hina needs help, she becomes a coward once again and simply tries to shove all the problems under the rug by telling her to get along with everyone else. It means that the problems will not only be unsolved, but it'll become worse for Hina as I'm sure that the bitch bullies will take one step even farther in their bullying on Hina.

So, I get understand why Akari is nervous that she might called by the school to talk about Hina's situation, potentially with the bullies' parents. I laughed when she described that she might want help from the "monstrous" grandpa and her wicked aunt to take over her spot, but after Rei shouted that he wanted to help, it helped Akari to regain her confidence and is ready to deal with whatever happens next regarding Hina. Stay strong for her sake, Akari! =D

So far, this show has been my favourite this season. The characters have been very realistic and believable in their reactions so far, with episodes 4 and 5 being so damn close to perfection with the portrayal of Hina's suffering at school and how her and everyone else are dealing with the problem and how they're trying to help in anyway they can. If the solution to Hina's problems is done flawlessly by Shaft, then I think this show will be a 10 before it even finishes airing. =3
Nov 26, 2017 11:12 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That teacher infuriates me to no end. What a cowardly and spineless human being. A coward of the first magnitude. She should be fired.

I know that this is a shogi show, but the show is at its best when its focusing on the dynamics of Rei and the girls and not the shogi stuff.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 26, 2017 11:18 AM

Jul 2014
The teacher is disgusting, really disgusting...
so many great scenes in this episode, especially when Rei said he will help too to Akari-san and when Rei told Nikaidou if he'll be fine..
and btw i love the comedy in this show, never failed to amuse me

ah Shaft, 7 perfect episodes in a row are too much for us...

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
Koito91Jan 29, 2022 1:49 PM
Nov 26, 2017 11:37 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hina looks so cute when she's embarrassed though. Everyone gets nosebleeds at least once in life though. Hina's homeroom teacher is a failure as a teacher thats for sure. No wonder Hina feels so frustrated about school. Facing the other parents though will be hard for Akari though. Akari though sure has a vivid imagination. But Hina's gran certainly will take things further if he went though thats for sure. As will their aunt Misaki. Though it looks like Akari is pretty scared as well despite having that many people backing her. Looks like both of them will be facing some unique opponents in their next games. Hachi though really is loud. Its funny how both sides think the other is annoying though. To think that Hachi was similar to Rei though. An interesting episode that expands on Hina's drama in school and it looks like its only going to get more so.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2017 1:46 PM

Sep 2016
Kaiju Grandpa FTW!!
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Nov 26, 2017 2:00 PM

Jan 2017
I feel like i'm saying this week, after week, after week but jesus christ what the hell is going on with this series!?!?! How can it possibly get SO MUCH BETTER with each episode!?!?!? I just can't begin to understand.

The first part started with the absolute cringe and hateful woman. Oh my lord, as with this episodes getting progressively better, this woman with each appearance just gets worst and worst. Is she even human? Is she capable of understanding other people's emotions? Is she capable of empathy or is she a sociopath?! How on earth did she became a teacher!?

Lord.

Then, our Kiriyama even more determined this week. I'm falling in love with him, i can't believe how much he has progressed and open up just for the desire of helping others. He's just a diamond of a human being. What a sight.

Our Nikaidou always surprising us with his eccentricities, best man without doubt. His interactions with Rei are just to die for.

And the last part, i never thought i would say this but this is the best shogi match we have seen so far; i was basically on the edge the entire time. You could totally connect with the players, and even thou not understanding the game logic you could sorta feel the flow and the energy coming from it. Totally exciting. The end was just marvelous, when they said he was just like Hachi, i died.

Best episode, best episode.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Nov 26, 2017 6:52 PM

Jul 2009
Swagernator said:
Evil grandpa and aunt win this episode. Good to see actual shogi match for a change lol.

Honestly if oneesan doesn't get her shit together she needs to leave it to them! I'm beyond disgusted by the teacher. How the hell does that happen? Blaming the victim at it's finest. Did she even look into the one's who actually wrote it? I'm so mad right now. The only right course of action at this point is for that teacher to be fired. FIRST AND FOREMOST. FIRE THAT WITCH. FIRE HER!!

And they shouldn't be waiting for the school to ask for her to come in. SHE SHOULD DEMAND TO SEE THEM! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

I didn't even wanna see any shogi this ep. I WANT THE HINA THING RESOLVED. Although introducing that new annoying shogi player was a good move. I needed someone extreme like that to distract me from the bullying thing. Anything less and I would have been bored/annoyed and only hoping to see the school thing more.
InugirlzNov 26, 2017 6:56 PM
Nov 26, 2017 8:40 PM
Jan 2017
end card
Saibara Rieko!!
http://3lion-anime.com/assets/img/special/endcard/edcard29.jpg
eikan0728Nov 27, 2017 9:56 PM
Nov 27, 2017 2:40 AM

Oct 2015
Quite an interesting episode. That teacher was bullshit, I would have called my parents and reprimand that bitch, I would fucking record how I'm being bullied if I have to. What a cunt. 2nd part was funny :D
Nov 27, 2017 6:53 AM

Feb 2008
Peaches are delicious.

I liked how the production team balanced Hina's predicament with Kiriyama's intense shogi match. If it were not for the latter, I would have been left immensely frustrated. After all, what Hina's homeroom teacher said was infuriating. The Irritated Prince of the East saved the day, though.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM

» It's 2024. Any new updates regarding S3?

zero479 - Feb 10

9 by Dark_011 »»
Feb 18, 2:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.