Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 1, 2018 1:53 PM

Jan 2013
Liquid like Cinnabar.
Satisfying explanation of how births work
Jan 3, 2018 9:51 AM

Apr 2015
Antarcticite was really determined to try to get Phos' arms back at the beginning - the same ones that they previously told Phos they wished were better/as good as her legs. Well, which is it?!

Furthermore, Antarcticite seemed pissed off at Phos for trying to make light of the situation and was probably feeling vulnerable considering they've never messed up on the job before.

And then the Lunarians came because of course they did, and shiiiit. Everything's a mess. Antarcticite shattered and was taken by the Lunarians, Phos tried to turn into a giant caramel (yes, that's the visual image I had since I'm mentally six) and save Antarcticite but almost shattered in the process...if Sensei isn't careful with Phos, even a simple poke will cause them to completely shatter at this point, and then everything will really be fucked.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 4, 2018 12:35 AM

Oct 2016
honestly this episode was weird. i feel like phos recovered too quickly from the shock she got from battle in the previous episode. also her behavior was weird? maybe its just me. by the way antarcticite was such a good character i love her!!
Jan 4, 2018 2:57 AM

Nov 2014
Skujo said:
honestly this episode was weird. i feel like phos recovered too quickly from the shock she got from battle in the previous episode. also her behavior was weird?

Battle in the previous episode? You mean the Amethyst twins? Do note that they didn't actually die unlike Antarc here.
Jan 9, 2018 8:06 AM

Feb 2014
So.. Chord Shore is where random gems spawn. Why didn't Lunarians just collect them here? They won't have to fight since most of them are just non-sentient shards. Won't it be just as good decor as shattered gems they collected through fights?
Jan 9, 2018 10:13 AM

Jun 2017
Protoz said:
So.. Chord Shore is where random gems spawn. Why didn't Lunarians just collect them here? They won't have to fight since most of them are just non-sentient shards. Won't it be just as good decor as shattered gems they collected through fights?

We don't have the full picture yet on how gems are formed, so maybe there's something about the fully formed gems that makes them more desirable to the Lunarians.
Jan 9, 2018 8:39 PM

Nov 2014
I really do like this show but Phos is just such an annoying character. Weak, impulsive, and useless. Can't even think of a positive thing to say for her. Really frustrates me how her actions always makes others suffer. I waited 8 episode for her to change but she's even more useless than she was at the beginning.
Jan 12, 2018 9:43 PM

Feb 2014
Phos has finally done fucked this time. Hopefully, she will start being more serious after this. But it's hard to blame her entirely, because she just seems to have terrible luck and whatever happens to her is beyond her control at that particular time.

sorathecrow said:
Protoz said:

We don't have the full picture yet on how gems are formed, so maybe there's something about the fully formed gems that makes them more desirable to the Lunarians.

Yeah, what the Lunarians seem to want are fully formed Gems that have the aspect of "humanity", in order to reunite the 3 species and become human again. So just some random pieces of gems wouldn't cut it.
Jan 15, 2018 3:17 AM

Dec 2015
Rip Anta :'( she did so much for Phos. That ED was too sad. Looking forward to Phos's new look.
~
Jan 17, 2018 8:45 PM

Oct 2013
RIP Antarcticite
Jan 27, 2018 2:09 PM

Sep 2012
Something interesting finally happened! :D

I just wish I didn't have to wait this long for it. I'm glad Phos has something going for Phos, as long as Phos has the resolve to make something happen with these new abilities. I don't understand why this Eren Jaeger type superpower story is a good idea, because this entire time it's been cemented in my head that Phos is a terrible person that I don't like as a main character, and it's diminishing the impact of any development Phos displays.

I really hope more good things happen in the last few episodes to make this whole thing worth it :/

I'm also seriously annoyed that these crystalline beings would adopt a human shape, and plot reasons don't make it okay. There are so many more resilient shapes to be imagined, with more of the mass centralized, and fewer long, weak pieces. Sturdier appendages would be way better than subjecting these toothpicks to hella torque. And they wonder why they crack!
MrLegitimacyJan 27, 2018 2:16 PM
Jan 27, 2018 4:02 PM

Oct 2016
peetza said:
Something interesting finally happened! :D

I just wish I didn't have to wait this long for it. I'm glad Phos has something going for Phos, as long as Phos has the resolve to make something happen with these new abilities. I don't understand why this Eren Jaeger type superpower story is a good idea, because this entire time it's been cemented in my head that Phos is a terrible person that I don't like as a main character, and it's diminishing the impact of any development Phos displays.

I really hope more good things happen in the last few episodes to make this whole thing worth it :/

I'm also seriously annoyed that these crystalline beings would adopt a human shape, and plot reasons don't make it okay. There are so many more resilient shapes to be imagined, with more of the mass centralized, and fewer long, weak pieces. Sturdier appendages would be way better than subjecting these toothpicks to hella torque. And they wonder why they crack!

1) The gems were never intended to be made for combat

2) Sensei modeled them after his maker, the only person he knows, hence the feminine appearance.
Jan 27, 2018 10:49 PM
Nov 2017
peetza said:
I'm also seriously annoyed that these crystalline beings would adopt a human shape, and plot reasons don't make it okay.
You realize this very episode featured the earth itself still-birthing uncannily human-shaped gems, right? You're ascribing a little too much agency to the gems/Sensei and their ability to determine what form they take.
Jan 28, 2018 6:14 AM

Sep 2012
Germs_N_Spices said:

1) The gems were never intended to be made for combat

2) Sensei modeled them after his maker, the only person he knows, hence the feminine appearance.

Areku2021 said:
You realize this very episode featured the earth itself still-birthing uncannily human-shaped gems, right? You're ascribing a little too much agency to the gems/Sensei and their ability to determine what form they take.

I've got two different stories here, to both of which I reiterate my feeling that:
peetza said:
...plot reasons don't make it okay.
Jan 29, 2018 6:59 AM
Jul 2018
HxHexa said:
daftpunkliker said:

Can we all agree on the fact this episode was the worst so far?

Clearly no. If you are expecting a fun SoL with gems you are looking at the wrong place.

This comment cracked me up; you deserve the internet for today. :))
Feb 13, 2018 4:07 AM

Jan 2009
lol being Phos is suffering, she is a bringer of bad luck and now one of her friends is gone because of her
Feb 26, 2018 8:16 PM

Mar 2015
Aww man first time we've seen one of the 28 successfully stolen :(

Wow Phos is all mixed up, wonder what'll happen next?!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 4, 2018 8:52 AM
Nov 2014
Why is phos forgiven for every shitty thing she does? All she had been doing the entire show is getting everyone into trouble. And when i think she couldnt do worse than she already did, she got one of the two characters i like in this show killed.

If they know what's best for them they should get rid of her. Give her to the aliens or something.
Mar 4, 2018 12:03 PM

May 2012
Damn that sure was quite impressive, especially that ending! Looking forwards to see what's next!
Mar 13, 2018 4:08 PM

Aug 2015
RIP Antarcticite. We only knew you for a short time but it hurts to see you go.
Mar 15, 2018 4:53 PM

Sep 2011
Oh come on :( I hoped Phos might be able to save Antarcticite, but I guess it's still far too early for them... They'll slowly but surely get better and better by training or acquiring more power. Especially after feeling like they were the cause of Antarcticite's capture :/
I wonder what was the deal with the gold acting like it did.
Mar 25, 2018 3:45 PM

Dec 2012
Dem arms...are gone.
Phos wearing bling bling on her arm now.
Oh shit! Phos's arm. Festum!
Sensei says he has to make haste, but he's still walking.
Oh snap. Sensei surrounded.
Sensei is trapped.
My goodness. Does no one pay attention. Now Anta's hand is gone.
Dat explosion.
It turned into a block.
Oh shit!
They failed to get Anta back.

RIP Anta.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Apr 10, 2018 1:19 PM

Nov 2012

And here I am, all teary because a piece of rock... (≖͞_≖̥)

okay okay.... i cried over some shiny rocks.......(╥_╥)

honestly, i think it was great how the creator/writer purposefully made it so that phosphophyllite finally succeeded at something for once and felt like they had the perfect chance to finally, finally be of use, but being too late to do anything anyway. it makes it all the more heartbreaking when we see antarcticite being taken away by the lunarians.
Apr 24, 2018 8:34 AM

Nov 2012
I really hate hope spots, but considering we sorely needed Phos to finally grow up then I don't mind if the plot had to make one, albeit it really took that long tho.
Also why tf I stalled this in the first place, this show's just awesome.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Apr 27, 2018 10:47 PM

Apr 2015
I feel conflicted. On the one hand, i'm a bit disappointed that the show has used the same structure for a long time now (Phos and others are vulnerable - Phos or others get attacked - the show makes it seem like Phos is to blame even if they aren't(not really the case on this episode though) - Sensei has patience and doesn't care that much)

It seems like a lot of the progression of the show is done through scenes that are way too similar.

On the OTHER hand ... it makes a lot of sense. Here you have a race of people that despite being immortal, spend a majority of their time worrying about their environment and whether or not they'll be attacked. So it makes sense a lot of the progression is from that structure point.

Plus ... Antarc ... man ... THEY WERE BECOMING MY FAVORITE CHARACTER! SERIOUSLY! WTF!

The ending of that battle is what made it stand out among the others. Even though I think it's a little cheap that Phos had to have someone die in order for them to get up and adapt to their gold augmentations ... I can totally understand why, considering it must be hard to master a new element and adapt it to work for your body.

It was so sad when Phos finally did something but it was too late anyways.

observing a woman's body
Dec 12, 2018 7:02 PM

May 2013
Give Antarc back, ya stupid Lunarians ;A;
Jan 9, 2019 12:26 AM

Oct 2012
We need jewel police so those Lunarians stop kidnapping jewel girls :P

At least she get what she wanted now
"Signature removed"
Jan 27, 2019 3:27 PM
Apr 2018
I hate this episode, look at all the troubles everyone has been through because of Phos and now the Lunarians have killed/kidnapped one of the gems. At least Phos got what she was looking for, but she better get good at using those golden arms.
Feb 11, 2019 12:50 PM
May 2014
CatSoul said:
Antarcticite was really determined to try to get Phos' arms back at the beginning - the same ones that they previously told Phos they wished were better/as good as her legs. Well, which is it?!

maybe because of that exact reason of thinking that Phosu is better off with arms that are as good as their legs that made Antarcticite try to retrieve Phos' arms because they felt bad of thinking that way? like in some way, they're at fault for what happened?
Oshaberi97Feb 11, 2019 12:57 PM
Feb 11, 2019 12:53 PM
May 2014
Karma-Senpai said:
I really do like this show but Phos is just such an annoying character. Weak, impulsive, and useless. Can't even think of a positive thing to say for her. Really frustrates me how her actions always makes others suffer. I waited 8 episode for her to change but she's even more useless than she was at the beginning.

well, plot twist! what you're exactly have been waiting for happens in episode 9
unless if you already watched it...XD
Apr 2, 2019 10:06 PM

Sep 2018
Antarcticite is so cool! I love her!! but she got capture :((((
I love all the girls, but Phos is a troublemaker! she's funny though, I don't want to hate her haha
erenmeiiApr 3, 2019 10:20 PM
May 31, 2019 9:32 PM
Dec 2017
Sensei says don't go into the ocean, Phos goes anyways and loses legs. Sensei says don't listen to ice flows, they're just messing with your head. Phos listen to flows anyways and loses arms. Seems like there is a recurring theme here.

Someone needs to rescue Phos in most episodes. The point I'm trying to make is Phos is annoying. I'm sure Phos will become a better character in the next few episodes, Especially with the new powerups she just received.

Also, the gems don't seem very wise for beings that are thousands of years old.
Jun 24, 2019 9:01 AM
Nov 2015
TheKoopaKing said:
Sensei says don't go into the ocean, Phos goes anyways and loses legs. Sensei says don't listen to ice flows, they're just messing with your head. Phos listen to flows anyways and loses arms. Seems like there is a recurring theme here.

Someone needs to rescue Phos in most episodes. The point I'm trying to make is Phos is annoying. I'm sure Phos will become a better character in the next few episodes, Especially with the new powerups she just received.

Also, the gems don't seem very wise for beings that are thousands of years old.
well phos didn't listen to them in the end he tripped.

Age doesn't equal wisdom it equals experience and the gems, few of them don't have the experience of fighting and facing mortal danger those that do show signs of it.

The point I'm trying to make is , it makes sense .
Jun 24, 2019 9:05 AM
Nov 2015
Damn this shows, proves that you don't need alot of screentime to make you care about a character you just need to great writing.

One of the most tense scenes, in the show. We have seen multiple times throughout the show that many gems were defeated about to be captured and then saved. And those moments kept me on the edge of seat and I was happy with the outcome.

With this , I kept thinking that he would be saved so I wasn't on the edge of my seat but they kept denying it with two successive attempts and when it ended I was struck with disbelief that he actually got taken away and took awhile for me to actually accept.
Aug 21, 2019 11:10 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Best episode so far, the emotional bagage just wrecked me at the end.
I think it was done really well, I will certain recall this episode when I think of this series, definitly a highlight for me.
Will miss Antarcticite, he gone out giving his best, fuck...

shanimebib said:
While the episode title was almost a giveaway, I still hoped Antarcticite could be saved at the very last moment!

That hush and Phos's scream just won't leave my head!

This episode was beyond incredible. Usually it's not that easy to get me moved for a character who just appeared for an episode yet the amazing development made me feel the emotion behind it!

Some Gem of the season! Bumping my rating to a 9/10!

Same here, same here, that pic is heartbreaking T_T
Apr 3, 2020 8:19 AM

May 2016
That girl is cursed to watch her friends getting killed in front of her, what a ,miserable life.
May 10, 2020 11:53 AM

Nov 2019
Antarc became my fav gem within 2 episodes. He will be missed.
Liquescimus means 'melt', so that was a fitting ED of Phos' feelings for the winter soldier.
I hate this pattern: (Lazy writing from author, I guess?)
Phos feels useless -> pleads Sensei for job -> Sensei gives job with a partner -> partner gets wrecked while paying attention to phos -> Phos could do nothing in the situation -> Phos feels useless
Guess, it's time for this formula to stop; he is traumatized enough not to change drastically...
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Oct 16, 2020 8:40 AM
May 2020
im surprised with how many people think that the fact that phos and the other gems dont get enough development. i mean, of course they arent getting any development.

theyre hundreds of years old, some even thousand. why would all of them suddenly completely change? it really just seems like some people forget theyre immortal and not human. and even so, its not like they never completely changed throughout the show. this might come off as kinda toxic, but just wanted to get this out
Dec 12, 2020 2:48 PM

Sep 2020
Welp, I'm gonna go kill myself now.....

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Jan 4, 2021 6:34 AM

May 2020
Phos is just painful to watch, I feel bad for her
Mar 13, 2021 1:02 AM

Feb 2020
Very sad episode. Poor Antarcticite. :(

The action scenes were fantastic.

That special ED was beautiful.

SerafosJan 13, 5:06 AM
Mar 22, 2021 2:11 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
We really lost one. First I was worried about phos’s arms but antrancite however you spell it just jumps in and gets out. Didn’t know we were gonna lose this soldier at the end...

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 4, 2021 10:36 AM

Mar 2008
this was a great episode, nice ED too
Jul 5, 2021 10:41 PM

Jan 2020
antarcticite :(

I wasn't expecting a death like that whatsoever. Phos's new arms seem pretty hard to control based on what we saw

Jul 20, 2021 4:18 AM

Apr 2018
Such an emotional episode. I knew that a second attack would take place and it did. Antirc suffered in Phos' place. Taken to the moon.

Phos got some new amazing powers now, a bit too strong for her.
And they're more after the master now, he's a *human* afterall

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 19, 2021 10:17 PM

Jan 2016
Lunarians are one of the most unnerving things to look at all

Sep 22, 2021 6:28 AM

Mar 2016
May I say... This is the most engaging and fantastic ep of this show so far! The past 7 eps have been a joy to watch, but only did now did I really get into what's going on in the show. You just know that a drastic shift is about to befall upon our dear Phosphophyllite and all her acquaintances.

It's clear that the winters are the most dangerous of time, all the other gems are asleep and there only remains the sensei, Antarcticite and now Phos herself. As long as the sky remained overcast, they're safe where the sun doesn't shine. However, unlike how things usually are when the sunlight pierces through the darkness, the danger comes along with the sun-lit sky. The Lunarians has been very aggressive, to even halt the sensei and use the remnants of gems abducted long ago, along with having these new types of themself. It's only a matter of time until the little due between Phos and Antarcticite, that being now. Honestly seeing Antarcticite being shattered and collected by the Lunarians was all shocking really, damn...

The only positive to this ep is how Phos finally got a pair of new golden arms, her inclusions are really helping these new arms of her to be a weapon unlike any other. The perfect offence and defence. She now no longer has to worry about being cracked as her gold can pretty much take any form, including patching up her own cracked body, needless to say, the offensive capability of a free-flowing fluid is astronomical. Considering how the gems use melee weapons, Phos can simply reach further and faster than anyone, not to mention that gold is inherently heavy.

Finally...
Seeing Phosphophyllite's expressionless poker face in the preview sent bone-chilling shivers to my back. It's as if I'm staring at an entirely different entity. I can only wonder as I take in all the incredible events with my mouth agape... The new ED is perfect for how Antarcticite essentially said her farewell to this Earth.

This episode is absolutely phenomenal
Oct 13, 2021 5:44 AM

May 2021
this episode was a masterpiece...Everything from soundtracks, tension, or that beautiful animation was just perfect. Finally its time for our OP and depressed phos to shine next ep!
Dec 20, 2021 9:20 AM
Nov 2020
For those who might not realize.....
The background? Of the ending song is where Antarcticite stays when hes in liquid form.... that gives you that extra sad feeling.. and with Phos singing the song.... my heart died
Apr 23, 2022 5:11 AM

May 2020
Well guess what another one perished, and it has to do with them covering Phos, again. It wasn't long but i do feel bad for Antarcticite, did everything but still got taken away.

For sure the best one yet, with visuals being splendid again.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

315 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Yesterday, 11:00 AM

» Not at 500,000 viewers after 6 years :(

ghier - Dec 2, 2023

29 by APolygons2 »»
Feb 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

147 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:29 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

98 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

108 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.