Forum Settings
Forums

Is a show bad for you if it is hard to follow or incomprehensible?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 25, 2017 1:57 PM

Nov 2017
Well, sometimes the story just dosen't make sense because the writers screwed up. That's a weakness, and a show would have to have be really good in other areas (eg have good action sequences) in order to make up for it.

There's a difference between leaving your audience wondering at the end of a show, and leaving your audience confused.
All Dubs must die!

"Its 2017 and anime is still legal. What the fuck is congress doing" - Totalbiscuit

Nov 25, 2017 2:00 PM

Apr 2017
I enjoyed EoE despite the absolute abnormal mind-fuck.

Well, first off I thought that I understood evangelion until I read some explanations about it on wiki
And anime-on. I realized that I didn't understand a single shit and the show was too deeper than everyone thought.

The problem with this franchise is that the original author didn't know how to explain his story in a good way so he started using symbolism and key scenes.

After reading those explanations, I realized that the author didn't explain everything and it all depends on your accurasy of observation and analyzation. And you won't get his points if you don't rewatch the series many times.

People whom say that eva makes no sense are tipically normal humans.

I suggest reading every article in the internet about eva.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Nov 26, 2017 10:04 PM

Feb 2013
Incomprehensible is often a result of bad writing/presentation. I've dropped plenty of anime that tried (and failed) to be "difficult to follow" just for the sake of being just that.

Good "hard to follow" anime has to at least be interesting/intriguing. When done well, it's even better the 2nd time around watching.

I think that a lot of people do give low scores when an anime is "difficult" for them. Low/moderate complexity anime like Haruhi or Steins;Gate can reach a wider audience than the top-tier "WTF" anime.

Nov 26, 2017 10:15 PM

Sep 2009
If I can't follow it, it must be some really halfassed garbage. So yeah, I guess.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 26, 2017 10:25 PM

Jun 2017
If I don't understand something , I just watch the episode again , I don't care , I mean , I'm not as smart as most people on internet (psst), I had to watch like three times Dark Knight (2008) because I didn't understand a shit when I saw it for the first time and I'm not ashamed of that , at least I try to fully understand the story .

In anime it has only happened to me once... those damn dialogues between Kaiki and Araragi/Karen/Hitagi in Nisemonogatari .

I don't drop an anime just because it's hard to follow , I drop shows I don't enjoy , it doesn't matter whether it's a masterpiece (according to the Internet) or an Ero-Manga Sensei .

If you don't enjoy watching things like Serial Experiments Lain , drop it . Nobody's forcing you to watch it , maybe someday you'll be able to understand it perfectly and enjoy it as much as some people do .

Nov 26, 2017 10:26 PM

Jan 2012
I love psychological anime, symbolism and all that stuff. I only drop anime if it's very bad or doesn't pique my interest at all. One example is Texhnolyze. I watched 6 episodes and it didn't offer me absolutely anything to keep me watching it further. I don't care if it gets better later, I don't have the nerves to watch it.

Nov 27, 2017 12:25 AM
Jun 2015
As long as everything in the story can be understood when you put the information together from within the story its okay as a story. Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon anime adaptation is good example of an anime with a convoluted story that requires you to read outside source material to understand. Its awful because instead of communicating the important events in a interesting way, it decides to be fan service and meaningless slice of life crap. If you are going to have an epic story, can I at least be told what the story is even about?
Nov 27, 2017 2:11 AM

Sep 2017
All depends on the anime for me some can be incredibly engaging while others are complete snooze-fest.
Nov 27, 2017 2:14 AM

Sep 2011
If it requires spoonfeeding, then yes I can consider it as bad because of incapable of explaining those "complicated" stuffs that EVERYONE can understand by just simply watching and not being spoonfed.

-Kaiser- said:
If ya don't understand the story, how can you enjoy it?

So basically this.

Nov 27, 2017 2:20 AM

Jul 2014
I for one fucking love that kind of storytelling. There have already been good explanations of why it can be great in this thread.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Nov 27, 2017 2:25 AM

Jul 2013
Really depends of how fun it is while being incomprehensible. Dies Irae is a complete mess, but it's so funny to watch I don't really care if it's hard to follow, as long as I have edgy nazis spouting random buzzwords to make the setting look cooler, I will enjoy it.
Nov 29, 2017 6:23 AM

Sep 2017
No. If you cant understand it after 6 or 12 episodes then you need to seek professional help.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 21 seconds ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
21 seconds ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 1 hour ago

6 by Serafos »»
43 seconds ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9050 by Kenny_Stryker »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

33 by PurplePants »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - Yesterday

19 by perseii »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.