Forum Settings
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 24, 2017 3:12 PM

Feb 2016
THIS IS A NOVEL ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLUME.
----------------------------------------

Finally finished the first volume today and i have too say this was amazing, it was a bit confusing after the ending of chapter 11 but i think most people should be able to get the gist of what was going on, definitly looking forward to how this story will progress from now on.
Dec 16, 2017 12:19 AM

Jun 2012
This volume really deserved an award, the author's prose for garterbelt is beautifully written, I'm serious.

Anyway, the story's setting and structure is awesome. In a world so twisted and yet the way of the execution of these guys struggling to live proudly have now been etched as a sublime tale to within my memories.

And most of the characters are amazingly evocative, it's rare for me to make a statement of having a favorite character out of the first volume but I have to say that I'm really impressed with Seo and Lena.....Makes me think that it's quite sad that a few from the squadron died without having any particular words in this novel, though it also strengthen the theme of wars that tragedy don't know how to knock on someone's life.

And, I didn't expect a heroic comeback at the end, that was tear jerking. With the evolving Legion, another country, more comrades, more high tech weapons and more actions, this novel oozes a very high potential.

Mar 27, 2018 6:28 AM
Mar 2018
Can show me explain me what's happening?, are they dead for real?, whats the mini chapter that showing them coming back after years?why in the prologue stating what happen after they died, like how a new ally come she went there to help the new team etc and then v2 starts after their death,
May 2, 2018 10:59 AM
Jun 2014
Was an interesting first volume, interesting main characters, great writing and composition, somewhat reminiscence of the muv-luv series. That, however makes it lack originality.

Still, the setting is really VERY well done. It has good potential, need to focus on the other characters too imo. Was well worth of my 7 bucks,possibility going for volume 2.
-Ollerus-May 2, 2018 11:04 AM
May 14, 2018 1:47 PM

Jul 2017
This novel is a work of art so far; I feel like at some point it will exceed my expectations of the Monogatari series.
May 31, 2019 2:32 AM

Apr 2016
OMG this story is so amazing.. I love it . Can't wait for July to come so i can buy the 2nd volume

Jun 3, 2019 2:22 PM
Jan 2018
Lazaros250 said:
Can show me explain me what's happening?, are they dead for real?, whats the mini chapter that showing them coming back after years?why in the prologue stating what happen after they died, like how a new ally come she went there to help the new team etc and then v2 starts after their death,

It's implied they were rescued by the nation that overthrew the empire. They left their Juggernauts behind because they were probably damaged beyond repair, and to also give Fido friends to rest with.
Jun 5, 2019 7:21 AM
Jul 2018
Glad to hear people are enjoying the light novel. If you're interested come check out the 86 light novel discord server: https://discord.gg/TF6SbAs
Nov 3, 2019 10:14 PM

May 2018
-Ollerus- said:
Was an interesting first volume, interesting main characters, great writing and composition, somewhat reminiscence of the muv-luv series. That, however makes it lack originality.

Still, the setting is really VERY well done. It has good potential, need to focus on the other characters too imo. Was well worth of my 7 bucks,possibility going for volume 2.

Yeah, I got Muv Luv Alternative vibes from this series and that's why I liked it. Can't wait to read vol 2 and beyond.
Dec 3, 2019 8:52 AM

Aug 2016
I as light novel reader, was looking for something with military and/or mecha included in it, getting rest of all those Isekais and Fantasy. So far I only found this in store, expecting nothing more then average sci-fi war novel. And my, there are no such things as casual war novels, this was surprisingly hard to read, with plot twist pointing where I expected to be, then twisted to another level. I expected less 86 survivors and Republic to carry on, maybe only one, Shin, to get back, in last page, first time, face to face seeing Lena. First one to survive and getting citizen ship back. But more and more I read, I knew, this will end more grimly... Well, in the end they did it and not at same time.

8/10 nihilists would read again. Let's see what volume 2 and 3 will have for me.
Martin_TaylorDec 3, 2019 9:02 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2020 11:06 AM

Jan 2020
Whoa !! Seriously what an interesting first volume ! I don't read very much Land but certainly this one is great, with huge potential. The characters were pretty well written, plot was interesting, and the emotional appeal was made superbly, which is hard to imagine in a LN with sci-fi, Mecha genre. It totally got me interested, 10/10 for the first volume
Feb 29, 2020 7:37 PM
Dec 2016
OMG! This is the very first LN that I will give 100 out of 10 fromthe very first volume. The story, the narrative, the character, everything were perfect. The drama and the ugly truth really hit the heart. It was so depressing yet I just cant stop reading. Normally, I hate the movie that adapted from the LN or anime but I gladly and will be overjoyed if someone desided to adapt this masterpiece into a movie.
May 15, 2020 8:56 PM

Jan 2016
This was just a phenomenal read! Read this in 2 sittings and that's because of work and stuff otherwise I'd had done it in one sitting

I got warned about the epilogue and all but I still think I'll be able to power through the next 2 volumes with relative ease, as I'm in it for the journey and not the final destination

May 21, 2020 2:27 PM

Jun 2008
I loved it! Best LN I've ever read:D

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Jul 4, 2020 10:40 AM

Jul 2017
Very good volume. The sci-fi aspects of the mechanics for communication and combat was a bit too amateurish, the cast overall was a bit underdeveloped and some of the topics were pretty surface level, but it was still very enjoyable, straightforward and easy to read with tackling its themes of war, discrimination, human rights, in a well constructed and not preachy way. It ain't too in-depth with its jargon but its still a solid amount with being very accessible to a lot of people.

Lena was easily the star character for me, for her likable but incredibly flawed character, that developed very nicely as she finally was able to observe and feel some of the harsh emotions that the 86 had to suffer through, being treated the way they were - livestock, and notice the pain of losing tons of people surrounding them when life seemed a lot more easier for her, while trying to make change with a very naive outlook. Her characterization was great for a 1 volume work, and Shin was decent too.

Also, that cover for volume 1 looks awesome. I'm not a fan of the promotional cover for the anime and how the designs look, but the volume cover for 86 looks really damn good. Lena's design looks awesome and the illustrations for the machines were simple but good too.
animejasJul 4, 2020 10:44 AM
Oct 21, 2020 12:08 AM
Mar 2020
I don't really read light novels, this being only by 2nd read after Oregairu but this was a worth spending my time on. Very good volume, 9 out of 10 by me for it. It's getting anime so I guess I'll stop for now, watch the anime and then continue reading light novel later
UtopiaDemolisherOct 21, 2020 12:11 AM
Nov 23, 2020 6:43 PM
Aug 2014
It would've been perfect if they ended volume 1 without revealing the squad was alive. And instead, end it with Lena saluting the memorial before walking away.

Jan 26, 2021 8:14 AM

Sep 2020
Amazing.
Garter-belts ftw!
Jan 27, 2021 2:22 AM
Sep 2020
derprume said:
It would've been perfect if they ended volume 1 without revealing the squad was alive. And instead, end it with Lena saluting the memorial before walking away.

Honestly I agree with you, but I read somewhere Volume 1 was supposed to be it's own thing which Author write for a competition and initially had no plans for more. But later decided to expand the series but not changing anything in the first volume, which as a reason next two volumes are weak but it's picks up in Volume 4, then series again starts to go uphill
Mar 10, 2021 11:15 PM

Aug 2013
I've been putting this for a long while, and the fact that the anime will come out this spring made me read it now.

Well, what can I say. This was a phenomenal volume in my opinion. This is my first time reading a series that has a military theme and I was left speechless with a lot of the characters getting killed off. RIP Kaie. :(

I didn't expect San Magnolia to fall like that, their crimes against the 86 being made public. I'm honestly surprised that Giad didn't take a harsher stance against them. One of their commanders saying, “If you hated colors that
much, you may as well have dyed your flag white”, that was a powerful statement there.

So in the end, Shin, Raiden, Theo, Kurena, and Anju were able to survive in the end. That was somewhat of a warm reunion with Lena in the end.

Oh, and the author is a man of culture, he really loves garter belts. XD

Apr 12, 2021 3:21 AM

Jul 2017
Reread volume 1 physically and I have to say, liked it even more than the first read. Especially with the battles part that I called amateurish in my first time. It was great, well thought, fascinating and entertaining too. Very refreshing for a LN series.
Apr 14, 2021 10:27 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
10/10

I was seriously considering a 9, but the goodbye chapter really got to me in the latter half, I really enjoyed how the writer panned out the last 2 chapters, I like the direction where this is going a lot, and also that Reboot chapter got to me...

Plus guys, read the afterword, I found it really amusing, I was totally expecting the writer to be a lot more serious and all, completely caught me surprised, what a champ, could feel his passion, plus garter belts!
LMAO at the part he started to talk about plotholes, really, just from this afterword I felt like this man is someone modest, but with a desire to write some really awesome mecha and military drama, something I m also very fond of when done right, and I m happy he could write something he deeply enjoyed and it turned out to be this great, tight and cohesive package.

The potential for this series to go from here is awesome, definitely one of the best starts to an LN ever, I don't want to drop obvious names here from certain very famous VNs, but dang, this is totally up my alley when I imagine military stuff.
Not to say I don't enjoy something more light, like Gate, but like the writer said, such a variety of genres, mixing so well, and really beautiful writing, which would probably be even better within the original language.

86 is actually a series I have kept my eye over for a long time.
I still remember when there was only one volume, at the time I was interested, but I wanted more volumes, and with the anime just airing, it was the best time to start to read, avoided reading it for some time now, since I always had other stuff to read I was also loving, so starting this I m probably putting more stuff on hold, but oh well.

Mecha LNs to me is unheard of, and tbh, I had a bit a tough of a time visualize most stuff, but the anime should help a lot, also the art is top tier, eye candy but also appreciate that we get the designs of the mechas and detailed info, helps a bit.

Eighty-Six definitely resonated a lot with me, not only for how it was written but also I really liked what the writer did for Legion, it was kind of terrifying imagining all the trapped souls, to which even death was not an escape.

Maybe on an objective review, I would see myself giving it a 9 for now, but on pure feeling alone and how I foresee this going to 10/10.

Can't wait to see more Lena stuff adapted, such an endearing angel, hope the studios nails her expressions~~

PS: This Asato Asato gets it, "music playing while writing this afterword: Sidonia by Angela", MY MAN!! What a gent!

Knights of Sidonia FTW

PlaycoolApr 14, 2021 10:42 AM
Apr 14, 2021 5:44 PM

Oct 2019
Playcool said:
Plus guys, read the afterword, I found it really amusing, I was totally expecting the writer to be a lot more serious and all, completely caught me surprised, what a champ, could feel his passion, plus garter belts!
LMAO at the part he started to talk about plotholes, really, just from this afterword I felt like this man is someone modest, but with a desire to write some really awesome mecha and military drama, something I m also very fond of when done right, and I m happy he could write something he deeply enjoyed and it turned out to be this great, tight and cohesive package.

PS: This Asato Asato gets it, "music playing while writing this afterword: Sidonia by Angela", MY MAN!! What a gent!
Lol, the author is actually a woman. A woman of culture.
Apr 15, 2021 1:45 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
simulatedhel said:
Playcool said:

It is a pen name, plus the garter belts, really doubt the nature of the author, until I see him/her or someone released official confirmation.
I was going to say him/her, but then that afterword, didnt seem like a woman at all, but hey...
Apr 15, 2021 2:03 AM

Oct 2019
Playcool said:
simulatedhel said:

It is a pen name, plus the garter belts, really doubt the nature of the author, until I see him/her or someone released official confirmation.
I was going to say him/her, but then that afterword, didnt seem like a woman at all, but hey...
Well, she had an interview in which it was revealed she is a woman. You can find the translation to the interview on twitter. And her being interested in garterbelts is why I called her a woman of culture. But anyways, doesn't really matter either way. Good to see you liked 86.
May 16, 2021 9:04 PM

Dec 2020
that was amazing. so much in just the first volume, it can already conclude its story just like that but it can defiitely increase and improve on the lore more

and i agree with the author, hail garter belts o7
May 31, 2021 3:58 AM
Oct 2020
lizzziziz said:
that was amazing. so much in just the first volume, it can already conclude its story just like that but it can defiitely increase and improve on the lore more

and i agree with the author, hail garter belts o7

Originally 1st volume was stand alone for competition.
It was intended to conclude just like that.
Jun 10, 2021 9:16 AM

Oct 2016
Man, that was an amazing fucking read.

Author is cultured, bless thighs and bless garter belts.
Jul 6, 2021 8:37 AM

Jan 2017
Honestly I would be very satisfied if this was the only volume, not only were the plot solid but the characters and their backstories are fleshed out well.

Fucking hell I was prepared to end this off with a melancholic tone as noone survived but that epilogue REEEEEEEEEEEE
Oct 1, 2021 12:35 PM

Feb 2012

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022

More topics from this board

» (No spoilers please) Estimated End Date?

Skoorb - Apr 19

4 by Skoorb »»
Apr 19, 6:37 PM

Poll: » 86 Volume 12 Discussion

FragmantLemon - Dec 6, 2023

2 by SSRSyt »»
Dec 6, 2023 10:09 PM

» Eighty six vol 12

Rose_572 - Jun 4, 2023

9 by BitChilly »»
Nov 21, 2023 3:38 PM

Poll: » 86 Chapter 25 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Oct 8, 2023

6 by SSRSyt »»
Oct 9, 2023 7:13 AM

Poll: » 86 Volume 4 Discussion

Zaphkiel_El_Rem - Apr 9, 2020

19 by Mechabandit »»
Aug 5, 2023 6:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.