Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 24, 2017 2:06 AM
Jul 2017
We can see many sorts of verbal tics on anime and Japanese cartoons.Like Naruto's dattebayo , Boruto's dattebosai.There are some characters from fairy tail as well . A guy says 'actually' too many times.Another guy always ends the sentence with mushi mushi and there is another guy always thanking others:There's also Ninja Hattori always saying Ding Ding.All of these are verbal tics,aren't they ?
So my question is, Are these sorts of verbal tics a common thing in Japan ?
The signature was removed as it was too awesome for mortals to live through.It has already destroyed 35 super computers . We have to make sure it is not used for serial killings and mass-murders.Please don't use words that can kill the mortals by it's awesomeness.
Nov 24, 2017 2:26 AM

Apr 2012
Boruto says datteba-SA.

They're common but not in the way you seem to mean. Every language have verbal tics possibilities. Here you are mostly refering to sentence ending particles.

Since Japanese is a language with final particles, the Japanese people are culturally sensible to them. Which is why they will use it in their entertainment productions for either serious-signature effect or comical effect. For an example of the latter, speaking animals will usually end their phrases with an onomatopea typical of their species (gero, kuma, etc).

So while those kind of particles are noticeable, you'll see far less of them in realistic settings, which is why you can get a better feel of the language by watching dramas. But of course speech is idiosyncrasic, so everyone has his own way of speaking to a degree. It can also reflect age, social class... just like in English.
EratiKNov 24, 2017 2:51 AM
Nov 24, 2017 2:41 AM

Feb 2013
it s to make the characters more silly and cartoonish

eratik's last paragraph is perfect
Nov 24, 2017 2:54 AM

Jun 2008
I’m pretty sure real life Japs don’t act like their cartoon counterparts...

Nov 24, 2017 3:36 AM

Feb 2015
Nov 24, 2017 3:46 AM

Jun 2015
Ever heard of anyone using doh frequently irl?
Nov 24, 2017 3:49 AM
Aug 2017
I don't think they use verbal tics a lot in real life '-'
Nov 24, 2017 4:06 AM

Jan 2012
Watch some japanese drama, it's closer to reality. You won't see any of those anime verbal tics.
While in anime is cute, I find it very irritating when people imitate it on the internet.

Nov 24, 2017 4:18 AM

Sep 2014
Nobody in Japan speak like an anime character expect maybe those deep otaku. So to answer your question, no these tics only happens in anime. This also include some expression that regular people don't usually use like "Ore wa" for example.
Nov 24, 2017 4:41 AM

Apr 2012
Hrybami said:
Nobody in Japan speak like an anime character expect maybe those deep otaku. So to answer your question, no these tics only happens in anime. This also include some expression that regular people don't usually use like "Ore wa" for example.
I've met people who use ore. They were manual workers though, not sure how common it's elswhere. But in my understanding it's more a personality thing.
Nov 24, 2017 4:42 AM

Apr 2013
Verbal tic? Yes, they can, as there's more than one way to finish your sentence and peoples have a tendency to use one more than other, which I guess fits here.
Ridiculous verbal tics like some stuff you see in manga/anime like the dattebayo or that cringe-worthy sister in Charlotte, etc? Of course not. Who would want to use that kind of retarded stuff, that's so embarrassing.
ZefyrisNov 24, 2017 5:10 AM
Nov 24, 2017 5:01 AM

Mar 2016
Talking to someone who uses "desu" is kinda refreshing especially when they sound polite,
kind felt that to try it desu yo.
So your question is if it's common in Japan desu ka?
The answer is "Yes" desu~.
fuck it I'm out
Nov 24, 2017 5:57 AM

Jan 2010
Some yes some not.

It's mostly just anime thing though.

I remembered an episode of Gintama about this tics used in anime character to make them unique and unforgettable.
Like, Kagura's -aru at the end of her sentence, some other examples in One Piece in the way character laugh (zehahaha, horohorohoro, syurorororo, fusfusfusfus, etc). Law adding -ya to character's name. The way Bakugo uses -ya instead of the common -yo at imperative sentences, the way he kinda slurred his words when talking.

This above are uncommon in real life (not sure about Bakugo's though, it seems plausible and common enough I think), however there are some that is actually used/had used in real life (it's called yakuwarigo or role language)

Sentences that ends with ~masu/~desu is polite speech
Speech used by Hancock, Holo, is speech used by courtesans

Something like this:

Old man: わしが知っておるんじゃ (watashi ga shitte orun ja)
Feminine woman: あたしが知ってるわ (atashi ga shitteru wa)
Masculine dude: おれが知ってるぜ (ore ga shitteru ze)
Little dude: ぼくが知ってるのさ (boku ga shitteru no sa)
Well-to-do woman: あたくしが存じておりますわ (atakushi ga zonjite orimasu wa)

Translation: “I know”.

Don't forget about Hougen aka Dialect too (Uraraka, Yume, Heiji Hattori, Shitenhouji students, etc)

Basically you could tell a bit of the character background and personality by the way they talk in Japanese (which all lost in translation)
CrimsonMidnightNov 24, 2017 6:02 AM
Nov 24, 2017 5:59 AM

Apr 2017
Inb4 mentioning Nico Nico ni..

Get some help first

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Nov 24, 2017 9:01 AM

Dec 2014
Pretty sure it's common in Japan.
I mean, everyone knows that anime is a perfect reference for how Japan is in real life. So why wouldn't it be?
Nov 29, 2017 5:46 AM

Sep 2017
Im pretty sure mangakas or authors use it to surpass the word count.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017

More topics from this board

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

33 by Coaghim »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 9 hours ago

37 by Tabbs919 »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 19 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

74 by Coaghim »»
12 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 10 hours ago

26 by Dauphine »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.