Forum Settings
Forums

When Did Fujoshi Culture Eclipse Anime Culture?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Nov 24, 2017 1:05 PM
You know that people who ship gay ships aren't even always fujoshis? And honestly, lesbian and especially straight ships are everywhere too, so... I think you're the one that needs to stop complaining lol

Nov 24, 2017 1:33 PM
S-quare22 said:
Clebardman said:

Shhhh, everyone knows watching a basket animu makes you gay, but fapping to 2d 8yo girls doesn't make you a pedophile.

Lol, is this what we call the hypocrisy of the anime community ??

When it comes to lolicon, people defend them and say "its just drawings blah blah blah so they're not pedos." But when an anime thats targeted towards girls is announced, people denounce the anime as fujobait and that fujos are killing anime. I hate that.

Nov 24, 2017 1:37 PM
Comic_Sans said:
Clebardman said:
Shhhh, everyone knows watching a basket animu makes you gay, but fapping to 2d 8yo girls doesn't make you a pedophile.
To be fair, I can see why some people think KnB is a gay sports anime considering how much the dudes there like to play with balls :^)

Bruh nobody is KnB is actually gay. Its just the fujos.

Nov 24, 2017 1:50 PM

StrangerMist said:
Bruh nobody is KnB is actually gay. Its just the fujos.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/joke
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Salman bin Abdul Aziz said:
@Comic_Sans I hate to insult you on forums but you are just a troll so just go kill yourself already bitch

Nov 24, 2017 2:47 PM

Humans constantly seek approval and validation. I guess being a highly vocal fujoshi is one way to identify with a group and seek their attention.

I read shounen ai and yaoi but I do not associate with the fujoshi community and I do not identify with the concept. I do not like this crazy shipping culture and I find it disturbing. Though I didn't care about it much in the past until I rewatched HxH last year: almost every single episode had suddenly loads of fujoshi commenters shipping Gon and Killua. How did this happen? They don't even care about the plot. Like zombies, they are chanting the same thing over again and again: "I ship them, I totally ship them, they obviously have the hots for each other", etc.

To be fair, HxH (just like YYH before it) had quite a few characters with ambiguous sexualities. BUT. It is an action shounen first and foremost. These two particular characters are 12 years old. Why must they be sexualised and shipped into a relationship that is not in any way part of the story? Why not appreciate the bonds of family and friendship? Fanfics and doujinshi exist for a reason. You can explore your fetishes there all you want (though the GonxKillua ones are still disturbing - the boys are 12 at the beginning of the story, get your mind out of the gutter!).

Many fujoshi are gay/bi themselves? That doesn't seem to be right. Gay people are generally not interested in straight people and find shipping straight characters silly and unnecessary. They are also a rather small group within the BL/yaoi fandom - the overwhelming majority of consumers are straight females.
Modified by Mako, Nov 26, 2017 1:10 AM

Nov 24, 2017 2:49 PM

I dont even know what fujoshi is/means.

I'm casual as fuck.

Nov 24, 2017 3:25 PM

Mako said:

To be fair, HxH (just like YYH before it) had quite a few characters with ambiguous sexualities. BUT. It is an action shounen first and foremost. These two particular characters are 12 years old. Why must they be sexualised and shipped into a relationship that is not in any way part of the story? Why not appreciate the bonds of family and friendship? Fanfics and doujinshi exist for a reason. You can explore your fetishes there all you want (though the GonxKillua ones are still disturbing - the boys are 12 at the beginning of the story, get your mind out of the gutter!).

Jeez, it's not like shipping is inherently sexual. People ship "child" or young teenagers characters all the time, like from shows like Digimon or Pokemon. Heck, Digimon shippers are still mad 15 years later!

Mad shippers always find their ways in a lot of series anyway, I guess the straight ones don't faze people, but believe me I did notice when Shingeki discussions went from "Why don't they build traps" to "Will Eren end up with Misaka, Annie or Historia?" that something was different.

Nov 24, 2017 3:27 PM

Because we are degenerates and we all secretly like cock.

Nov 24, 2017 4:16 PM

Bernrika said:
Jeez, it's not like shipping is inherently sexual. People ship "child" or young teenagers characters all the time, like from shows like Digimon or Pokemon. Heck, Digimon shippers are still mad 15 years later!

I tried talking to one of those GonxKillua shippers once. They were very passionate about convincing me that it was indeed fluffy pure romance and not in any way sexual. Same person posted fan art of Gon and Killua french kissing in the same comment section. So yeah, somehow I'm having trouble believing they can separate sexual from nonsexual. The sheer amount of doujinshi for this ship scares me.

Mad shippers always find their ways in a lot of series anyway, I guess the straight ones don't faze people, but believe me I did notice when Shingeki discussions went from "Why don't they build traps" to "Will Eren end up with Misaka, Annie or Historia?" that something was different.

Great example. Ugh. I really don't get why shipping has become such a big part of any anime conversation, especially when romance isn't even part of the genre or plot. Yeah, shipping has been around for ages. But in the past it was more of a deep fandom phenomenon - something that was going on inside specific fandoms. And romance had to be in some way present in the story. I can think of many examples of tv shows from the nineties/early noughties that had massive shipping wars going on, and most of them had actual romance as part of the plot, so the ships didn't just appear out of nowhere - they were intentionally created or provoked into existence by the authors themselves.

Nov 24, 2017 10:26 PM

Mako said:

I tried talking to one of those GonxKillua shippers once. They were very passionate about convincing me that it was indeed fluffy pure romance and not in any way sexual. Same person posted fan art of Gon and Killua french kissing in the same comment section. So yeah, somehow I'm having trouble believing they can separate sexual from nonsexual. The sheer amount of doujinshi for this ship scares me.

I certainly don't deny that shipping has and can also have a sexual conation for many and that doujins are produced, but limiting that to fujoshi fandoms it's certainly reductive.

Doujins are produced for all series, the difference I guess is that often male otaku tend to self insert rather than outright ship the female characters with the MC, but at the end of the day the result and the same and they still get mad when don't end up with their self-insert/MC (HELLO ERASED).

Nov 25, 2017 5:04 PM

Mako said:

I really get you.
That's the one little thing that made me cringe in Made in Abyss too. Don't sexualize the relationship of these kids!
Tho, you can have a strong crush at that age and you can care deeply about someone. But in a non-sexual-way, please. >_<
Everything over a very, very innocent kiss - I'd prefer to avoid this as well with child characters -, is too much for so young characters. /).-

It's not only about children. I really like Chise's and Elias' relationship from The Ancient Magus Bride right now, but in a very, VERY platonic way. XD I'm also pretty sure that Elias doesn't even understand that honeymoon-thing, he always talks about, to the fullest; given to his personality and structure of thinking and feeling and the things he says.

Another topic:
What I also always hate are these doujinshis and fanfictions with OOC-characters. They make the "Uke" look and act way younger and dumber than he actual is in the original work.
These characters are usually have a pretty well developed personality imo and some of them are pretty kickass too.
Tho there are always horny fans, who simplify them to this weird point, where you are asking yourself who this character is, it almost hurts. XD
They are just into some characters, because they look good and give them special vibes, I guess, but I don't think that they care too much about who they are / how the original author wanted them to be. ^^"

... and that's not "wrong".
If they want to do this, let them. It's for their own joy.
Anyway, I can't help, but dislike these things tho.

The point is: that's not only the case with Boys Love.
Female characters, who are not the "right type" for that, in straight or in lesbian relationships have the same problems. I swear, that cringey pictures now and back then about Korra, Mikasa etc... - for a few examples - acting like the typical Shoujo girl / "fanservice-girl". That's just... eh nooo. >_<

"I talked to one single person, who confirmed my stereotype about them" isn't really an argument. ^^" Nobody said that this kind of people doesn't exist.
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Nov 25, 2017 5:09 PM

Nov 25, 2017 5:47 PM

Zeando said:
@Shicchi
I already knew and use pixiv regularly, but I never looked up that tag with the number of likes or bookmarks, it sounds useful, but with that 10000 tag it's a shame the results are so few (the main tags for those series have 1000 times the fanarts)

Lowering the requirements helps, like:
One Piece (1000 users, instead of 10000)
Boku no Hero Academia

That's about the level I was looking for.
Thanks for the help, you lived up to your self-appointed title of fanart expert :3

Shicchi said:
It's easy to avoid NSFW in pixiv
So long the artist knows how to tag their work as nsfw, I've seen some failures recently, but luckily they're rare.

Looked up 腐.... 1'344'384 results, wow.

glad to be of help ;D

"Looked up 腐.... 1'344'384 results, wow."

lol
good luck XPP
OTP: Kid x Law | Katsuki x Izuku | Erwin x Levi | Hide x Kaneki | Sanada x Yukimura | See more!

» My doujinshi collection
» Favorite Boku no Hero Academia doujinshi

"There is only a few things in this world that I actually care. First is my family, second is my husbandos, third is my OTPs, and fourth is my two best friends. So yeah idgaf about your opinion, extras :)"

Nov 25, 2017 8:25 PM

I don't really get it. I'm not into yaoi stuff because yaoi is gay. I'm not bothered by gay relationships, but I'd certainly rather watch yuri if given the chance because yuri is not gay and, therefore, is much more relevant to my interests.

Shout out to Yagami-san and Tooyama-san for filling New Game! with adorable yuri love.
My name is 3DPD and this is my Internet forum signature. If there's anything I've learned in 21 years of using Internet forums, it's that life is meaningless and nothing we say or do here will matter in the grand scheme of things.

Nov 26, 2017 3:34 PM
~ PR Cheerio ~

Em... same can be applied with Yuri fans when it comes to characters that aren't even considered lesbians. I mean what can you say about that? Same can be applied to Yuri baiting, etc. I just don't see it as much of a big difference by comparison. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nov 29, 2017 6:13 AM

Pretty sure when I started anime 10 years ago there were already fujos.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017

Nov 30, 2017 8:55 AM

It's true that particularly the shounen anime with attractive males will have more fujoshi fanart. But honestly? It's the same way the other way around. Magical girl anime has become overrun by adult perverted male fans that will make lewd fanart of the often-prepubescent girls. It's been like this for years already, particularly with men starting turning "girly" things into male-oriented fanservice since a loooong time ago (and accelerating since the 2000's).

So I see it more as both sides are switching sides. The fujoshi who probably watched magical girl/cutesy shoujo anime as young girls, now watching shounen/sports anime, and the male otaku who probably watched shounen/sports anime as young boys, now watching magical-girl/cutesy-girl anime. Not to mention Bronies.

You can generally tell by an anime poster whether it's going to be fanservicey or not. So you can still enjoy shounen anime and just ignore the yaoi fanart if you don't like it. Just like I can watch a magical girl anime (not the fanservicey kind) and ignore the fanart too. I was okay with watching K-on and Love Live, and enjoy Touhou characters despite the extreme amount of lewd fanarts male otaku make of them. I just don't look for such fanarts in the first place.
So I don't really understand why it is such a big deal for guys to watch an anime that is popular with fujoshi artists but isn't actually fanservicey/sexual at all, such as Detective Conan (yeah, you heard me, guys avoid a non-sexual show like Detective Conan in Japan simply because it's popular with women) or Kuroko No Basuke.

Anime like Magi I found to be very much something that SHOULD be unisex (actually had more sexy fanservice for men, what with all the boobs), but I think it's more popular with girls because girls are less afraid of sharing something with the other gender, while guys run away realizing many girls also like it.
And something like Code Geass, which is heavily more male-oriented, also scares guys away from it being also watched by girls...

I guess it's just not something guys are used to, sharing?

Things like Free! and especially Keijo are just obvious, so you would know to not watch them if you want to avoid the fanservice.

I would like more anime to be unisex, myself, but that's just not going to happen. We just have to search more thoroughly for the non-fanservicey anime, and realize when an anime is NOT perverted, and only the fanbase is.
But overall, far more anime is made for a male audience. You should really not have anything to worry about if you're just worried about fujoshi, because there always will be more male-oriented fanservice anime. If it becomes 50/50 between male-oriented and female-oriented fanservice anime, I'm ok with it (because I'm a fujoshi and that would make it in my favor than it currently is/ever will be).

I mean it is pretty clear from just about any "unisex" anime community (like this forum), that it's always going to be more "Loli this, harem that, waifu here", than "Yaoi this, otome that, husbando here".

If you limit yourself to watching only anime purely for the fanbase, you're severely limiting yourself from things that you could potentially genuinely enjoy. I have learned to just stop caring about the fanbase, and only watch something based on if I liked the description or reviews of the anime.

Otherwise it's not much different from elementary school kids who would point and call something "for losers", and then everyone just blindly follows it without thinking or giving it a chance.
Modified by Pikangie, Nov 30, 2017 9:23 AM

Dec 1, 2017 7:29 AM
Mutated Elitist

Ckan said:
When did bait culture eclipse anime culture?

We ought to start over again from zero.

I guess you could say we ought to start over again in another world from Zero. Re:Zero, that is.
- - - -
I think you're looking too hard for one problem OP. Branch out, watch series with fewer males and/or smaller fanbases if it really gets your pantsu in a twizzler. Or just ignore fanbases in general.
Modified by InsaneLeader13, Dec 1, 2017 7:33 AM
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova

Dec 1, 2017 10:00 AM

I don't think Detective Conan is particularly hated by men in Japan just because it is liked by women. I mean where do you come up that wacky theory anyway.The truth is most family(kids)-friendly shows including DC that air prime time are gender neutral or more watched by the female while battle shonen shows are more watch by the male in Japan regardless fujoshi like it or not.

Detective Conan plays a role that is more akin to family-friendly shows such as Doraemon or Sazaesan than typical shonen shows even though itself is on a shonen magazine.

The numbers are male-female ratio of audience by Anime marketing report by KADOKAWA

Sazae-san (44-56)
Chibimaruko chan (41-59)
Detective Conan (46-54)
Doraemon(51-49)
Crayon Shinchan(49-51)

One Piece(62-38)
Dragon ball (73-27)
JoJo (70-30)
Assassination Classroom(53-47)
Nanatsu no Taizai (59-41)
Arslan senki (57-43)
BnHA(62-38)

https://www.f-ism.net/report/image/animemkt2017_sample.pdf
Modified by umashikaneko, Dec 2, 2017 1:47 AM

Dec 1, 2017 10:13 AM

Oh, this is some news. Always thought the ratio would be somewhat near 50-50 considering how popular the series is among fujoshis
OTP: Kid x Law | Katsuki x Izuku | Erwin x Levi | Hide x Kaneki | Sanada x Yukimura | See more!

» My doujinshi collection
» Favorite Boku no Hero Academia doujinshi

"There is only a few things in this world that I actually care. First is my family, second is my husbandos, third is my OTPs, and fourth is my two best friends. So yeah idgaf about your opinion, extras :)"

Dec 1, 2017 10:19 AM
Deep Breathely

I feel like it's a relative thing, for the the perspective being pitched isn't one I'd say I'm familiar with.
Or is it more-so my perception of these things that has been neutralized, I wonder...

Honestly fujoshi (or acknowledgment of, rather) seemed more prevalent to me like ten years ago.
Now I'm nearly certain it's a relative thing because I don't see anymore nowadays than I did back then but there's certainly only more people apart of this fandom now. Everyone's got a circle, just gotta find yours and stick with it (or maybe that's the problem lol).

Dec 1, 2017 12:02 PM

When they started buying more overpriced blu-rays than the average consumer.

Dec 1, 2017 1:10 PM

While fujos are annoying, I have to say... citation needed

Dec 1, 2017 1:10 PM

Rashidz said:

They didn't. This meme seems to be based entirely on Yuuri on Ice, which is just a single show and not even the highest selling one.

Dec 1, 2017 1:32 PM

Shicchi said:

Oh, this is some news. Always thought the ratio would be somewhat near 50-50 considering how popular the series is among fujoshis

Yeah, I wonder if there is something we are missing. I wonder how the manga does, in comparison.

Dec 1, 2017 1:45 PM

_Poochyena_ said:
I didn't want to say anything about this, but it's been building up for a long time, and this needs to be addressed. Why is the anime community seemingly overrun by fujoshis?

It's like, blah blah blah it's your right to be a fujoshi, whatever, but what happened to the rest of us? When I look for anime art online, the search results, most true for popular series, are overrun with fujoshi fanart some of which is baseline pornographic in nature. I mean, seriously, what is this? Why are there so many people who do this to characters who are clearly not homosexual?

And it's like, we're at the point where fujoshi culture is so prevalent in anime culture, we just have to expect every sports anime to be fujobait now, because fujoshis gravitate towards them like flies to doodoo and the industry apparently wants to capitalize on that.

Where did the time go when sports anime did not also equal shounen ai? Did those days ever exist? Why does every all male cast have to be pimped out and sodomized to appeal to the small minority of anime fans who get off on yaoi? Or is the minority actually the majority because that's really what it seems like.

I love sports anime and I love action shounen, but when I enter these communities and see my favorite characters collectively dehumanized and turned out, it flat out disgusts me. And if that offends you, oh well. I'm sure plenty of other people have been offended by the way shounen characters get portrayed in art.

It's not that fujoshis need to disappear, though I personally could not be happier if they did, I'm just curious as to when the anime culture shifted in this direction, if it was always like this, and how can we go back?

*slow clap looking at your completed anime list and seeing you scored 7 for Boku no Pico*
I hearby nominate @_Poochyena_ for the award of "Biggest Troll from MAL"

Dec 2, 2017 1:26 AM
Chibi-Alice said:
Ugh this is what i hate about anime fans.
You guys are fine with lolicon fans and sexualizing female characters.
But when girls ship male characters for fun? OMG TRIGGERED!
And FYI people have yuri ships in shows where the girls arent lesbians. So your whole "why ship them when they aren't gay" reasoning is hella stupid.

Lolicon fans are shi_, personally I think there's something wrong with them but they tend to be quieter and keep to theirselves.
Sexualizing female characters- well I like it if done right but it rarely is.
Why are you comparing those to yaoi? Why not to yuri that isn't that in-your-face crap in the forums?
If you take top sports anime on MAL then there are like 7 that have male fan service to please women. Then Air Gear and only after that some sports (meaning really just about sports) anime. Maybe some disagree and say that Kuroko and Free are serious sports anime but they are pushed to females with fanservice so they are not.

My problem with fujoshis is that they are really public about it and leak to everywhere (compared to loli and yuri fans who keep to small groups mostly).
I hate them like people who need to make up straight pairs in every series (yes you Rem fans).

Dec 2, 2017 4:30 AM

Doriana_1986 said:

*slow clap looking at your completed anime list and seeing you scored 7 for Boku no Pico*

Lol, I haven't seen this yet. I support that award. XD

Dec 2, 2017 5:45 AM

Doriana_1986 said:
_Poochyena_ said:
I didn't want to say anything about this, but it's been building up for a long time, and this needs to be addressed. Why is the anime community seemingly overrun by fujoshis?

It's like, blah blah blah it's your right to be a fujoshi, whatever, but what happened to the rest of us? When I look for anime art online, the search results, most true for popular series, are overrun with fujoshi fanart some of which is baseline pornographic in nature. I mean, seriously, what is this? Why are there so many people who do this to characters who are clearly not homosexual?

And it's like, we're at the point where fujoshi culture is so prevalent in anime culture, we just have to expect every sports anime to be fujobait now, because fujoshis gravitate towards them like flies to doodoo and the industry apparently wants to capitalize on that.

Where did the time go when sports anime did not also equal shounen ai? Did those days ever exist? Why does every all male cast have to be pimped out and sodomized to appeal to the small minority of anime fans who get off on yaoi? Or is the minority actually the majority because that's really what it seems like.

I love sports anime and I love action shounen, but when I enter these communities and see my favorite characters collectively dehumanized and turned out, it flat out disgusts me. And if that offends you, oh well. I'm sure plenty of other people have been offended by the way shounen characters get portrayed in art.

It's not that fujoshis need to disappear, though I personally could not be happier if they did, I'm just curious as to when the anime culture shifted in this direction, if it was always like this, and how can we go back?

Another man of culture.. this woman is a troll.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Dec 2, 2017 1:30 PM

Saint_Nepunepu said:
Rashidz said:

They didn't. This meme seems to be based entirely on Yuuri on Ice, which is just a single show and not even the highest selling one.

Yuuri on Ice - 67,973 without re-release
Osomatsu - 66,770 without re-release
Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love Franchise - Almost 100k without re-release
Free! - 29,108
Free! -Eternal Summer- - 22,290

Yeah man, it's just a meme LOL, not even counting all franchising money they made.

And the same can be said about all the moeblob sol shows.

Just a quick edit - I like these shows, am a heavy yaoi/BL manga fan. The truth is just that with how the market works for anime, you need to pander to groups that will buy your reeally expensive merchandise, and the groups that are more involved and to a certain degree using money to support the shows are the fujoshi/moeblob/gundam ones.
Modified by Rashidz, Dec 2, 2017 1:41 PM

Pages (2) « 1 [2]