Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 21, 2017 2:07 PM

Nov 2017

In Digibro's latest video he brings up that people should find their own communities to discuss their thoughts on media, and not attach their thoughts to the media itself. I figure I'll take Digi's advice and do just that, and if anyone feels like what I've got to say is interesting, they'll listen and if they don't, they're not forced to endure it.

I find myself agreeing with Digi a lot in this video. I think it's perfectly reasonable that people's comments shouldn't be attached to the media itself. I think it's a symptom of the kind of culture around the internet where people think they have the right to be assholes. Of course a lot of these people will hide behind the good'ol "criticism" excuse, and, no, you do not have the right to attach your comment to someone else's work. Of course, you can talk about it outside of it(like I'm doing right now, and what Digi suggests). Maybe the fact that you can comment on videos is what you like about YouTube, but I don't think that means someone's required to give you a comment section.

(Yep, pretty sure everyone's gonna hate me now.)
FacelessKingNov 21, 2017 2:28 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 21, 2017 2:12 PM

Feb 2013
FacelessKing said:
you get bonus points if you can guess the reasons :^)
Nov 21, 2017 2:16 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015

ah I a culture man you is see of as well are

Nov 21, 2017 2:18 PM

Mar 2017
romagia said:
FacelessKing said:
you get bonus points if you can guess the reasons :^)

pretentious asshole for 100 points.

come, you sweet hour of death
Nov 21, 2017 2:19 PM

Feb 2010
the best thing about this thread is that the video isn't properly embedded so I don't have to see the thumbnail of his face :>.

I'm definitely against this tho. I don't want MAL to be flooded with people making threads about random videos by random youtubers nobody should give a shit about. I definitely want those discussions to stay right under the video where they belong and not pollute other communities. Turning everything into the youtube comment section seems just about the worst idea anyone could ever have.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 21, 2017 2:25 PM

Apr 2016
Sorry, but i would never listen someone who is paying for anime.

That's just my stance.
Nov 21, 2017 2:27 PM
Apr 2014
Pullman said:
I'm definitely against this tho. I don't want MAL to be flooded with people making threads about random videos by random youtubers nobody should give a shit about. I definitely want those discussions to stay right under the video where they belong and not pollute other communities. Turning everything into the youtube comment section seems just about the worst idea anyone could ever have.
This. I don't browse AD much because I could care less about YT drama.
Nov 21, 2017 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
An error occurred. Please try again later.

Yeah... not gonna happen. You had one chance to get me to watch a Digibro video and you blew it.

Please satisfy my curiosity though, has the man finally learned how to trim his beard or is he still going full hobo?
Nov 21, 2017 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
the best part is these accs are created by him
Nov 21, 2017 2:28 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Please satisfy my curiosity though, has the man finally learned how to trim his beard or is he still going full hobo?

he is into beard still, and it still looks like a small dog that has never taken a bath is fused to his face through the miracle of modern science

Nov 21, 2017 2:30 PM

Jan 2013
So Digi is being asinine again. What's new?
Nov 21, 2017 2:32 PM

Mar 2014
We've already got enough cancer here on MAL as it is, the last thing this site needs is a big influx of frustrated anime Youtuber fans.

Fuck you Digibro
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 21, 2017 2:32 PM
Sep 2016
I believe Digi is in the right on the whole "comments don't really make sense" and Free speech does mean he can shut down his comment section as it is a platform given to us by him.

I would enjoy his new media outlet if it ever comes to fruition.
Nov 21, 2017 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
Who the fuck is this neckbeard and what is happening?
Nov 21, 2017 2:41 PM

Aug 2010
the thing to remember about digibro, is he is full of shit. He can make his own site and put his videos there... Simple as that. Youtube is designed to have comments. Why does he think he has any ground to stand on.

digibro's preferred platform only exists because people are able to comment. That kind of openness for everyone to share their thoughts is what really keeps youtube running. Digibro would still have a shitty meager following if it wasnt for youtube and commenters

Always remember Digibro is an elitist, but also a loli loving hypocrite. He's probably just upset because he just wants people to hear his thoughts and not hear anyone else's.

Also consider, under his own logic - there's no reason to think digibro should have the right to make videos that comment on the content created by other studios.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Nov 21, 2017 2:44 PM

Feb 2016
I don't known if i should take this seriously cause it's so plain stupid

anime youtubers
Nov 21, 2017 2:48 PM

Aug 2017
Whoever that guy is, he looks like a homeless hippie that just saw light for the first time.

fucking youtuber fans. lmao

Nov 21, 2017 2:49 PM

Nov 2017
lunaticsrus said:
the thing to remember about digibro, is he is full of shit. He can make his own site and put his videos there... Simple as that. Youtube is designed to have comments. Why does he think he has any ground to stand on.

digibro's preferred platform only exists because people are able to comment. That kind of openness for everyone to share their thoughts is what really keeps youtube running. Digibro would still have a shitty meager following if it wasnt for youtube and commenters

Always remember Digibro is an elitist, but also a loli loving hypocrite. He's probably just upset because he just wants people to hear his thoughts and not hear anyone else's.

Also consider, under his own logic - there's no reason to think digibro should have the right to make videos that comment on the content created by other studios.

If he wanted he COULD just turn off the comments on YouTube, because the site was designed to disable comments too you know.

Also Digi's not saying don't talk about other people's content, he's saying that what you have to say shouldn't be apart of the content itself.

Plus he's got enough fans willing to donate to his Patreon that starting his own website is plausible.
Nov 21, 2017 3:00 PM

Jan 2008
Oh god, are we going to get another hundred topics on his video by his sheep army?
Nov 21, 2017 3:01 PM
Jul 2018
So, what is the issue there, anyone?
Nov 21, 2017 3:09 PM

Nov 2014
So this man is going on a long winded rant about how he's an Artist and his videos shouldn't be criticized despite him apparently loving criticism. From his channel it seems like all he does is shit talk about anime (real art) all day, I wonder if that makes me an artist as well.
He looks like an e-celebrity with "youtube syndrome" he thinks he's more important than he is and thinks he can shit talk his audience.
Anime is Art, talking about Anime is not Art, everything he says about untrained people criticizing art can be applied to himself. He is doing everything that he is accusing his supporters of doing by criticizing anime.
Forum Signature
Nov 21, 2017 3:20 PM
Jun 2015
Its called AdBlock, I am surprised someone as cultured as DigiLoliMon has never used it before. Comments bring a larger viewership to any youtube video because the discussions often can be more entertaining than youtube videos. Its better to keep the comment section open than closing it.
Nov 21, 2017 3:21 PM

Sep 2012
So are we allowed to post comments on this thread, or should we all go create a separate one to discuss your post?
Nov 21, 2017 3:27 PM

Feb 2015
As I know, users goes to different forum boards, not just MAL. There's also 4chan/Reddit which are two I know of, and of course others that I don't know of will obviously not exist.

YT is doing its own thing which is in my opinion a good thing. I mean hey, why not let them do their own thing? I do mine in MAL... :/

Paul said:
Oh god, are we going to get another hundred topics on his video by his sheep army?

Hopefully not. The way they advertise Digi in AD is beyond my comprehension.
Nov 21, 2017 3:30 PM

Jun 2015
...And that idea is new in any way how?
Nov 21, 2017 3:35 PM

Apr 2015
No offense or anything but is he actually retarded? Why shouldn't be entitled to comment is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. There shouldn't be a comment section about art or content? Just let people express themselves even if it is in a negative light or a good one jesus christ what is this video even... Its videos like this why we still have to read about the enlightment in literature in school...
Nov 21, 2017 3:54 PM

Nov 2017
Red_Keys said:
So are we allowed to post comments on this thread, or should we all go create a separate one to discuss your post?
If you wanna go the roundabout way of doing things go ahead. I made this because I wanted to discuss. If you don't wanna discuss it you don't have to you know, and if your gonna parade around posts like this, maybe it's better if you don't. I'm looking for a discussion, not a circle jerk about how much everyone hates Digibro.
FacelessKingNov 21, 2017 3:59 PM
Nov 21, 2017 3:57 PM

Jun 2011
You know what, yes.

Social media style criticism is annoying. I can see where he is coming from. Getting random hate is not helpful. Or random fanboying and not helpful.

"Go make your own video"- yeah video response used to be a thing on youtube. And you used to be able to click on any videos which were video responses to the initial person. They got rid of it when youtube got bigger. But it was a way I found a lot of people.

Youtube is a video platform, but they got rid of video commenting. They got rid of a 5 star system. They became increasingly generic as time went on in terms of content creators. It became harder to find people because of all the videos but also do to lack of ability to share those videos and make a real network of videos.

I mean Youtube would be a heck of a lot less shallow if they brought back the video response. And I do miss star ratings. None of this please like and subscribe stuff. yeahs there was a please subscribe but... eh. I just remember the good ol days....

Just a lot easier to find stuff like this. lol.

I mean, they only discontinued because yeah people "didn't watch response videos" but whatever.
Energetic-NovaNov 21, 2017 4:39 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Nov 21, 2017 4:00 PM

Oct 2010
Hi @Digibro

I mean, the guy has an active account in MAL, let him have fun here as well, since this is (again) a thread about his content.

I disagree with some ideas of the video. I mean, the comparison between a manga/book and a Youtube video doesn't hold water the moment Youtube is a social media website. The site is not only about creating and posting content, it is also about sharing, commenting and following it. And part of that includes creating discussions over content in a way that allows you to be in direct contact with the creator. Youtube assumes there is a sort of reciprocity between creators and their followers, some that is not present in more indirect traditional ways of offering content.

Then again, if the issue is that he wants to create a comment-free website or section then whatever, he's within his rights. The reasons may be questionable or just plain wrong, but who am I to not let him do whatever he pleases and apply whatever philosophy he feels better for his creative content. It's not like making conclusions on the quality and validity of comment sections is forbidden now, I do it all the time.
jal90Nov 21, 2017 4:03 PM
Nov 21, 2017 4:03 PM

Nov 2012
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

I find his stupid sunglasses more annoying than his beard.
Nov 21, 2017 4:12 PM

Aug 2010
FacelessKing said:
lunaticsrus said:

If he wanted he COULD just turn off the comments on YouTube, because the site was designed to disable comments too you know.

Also Digi's not saying don't talk about other people's content, he's saying that what you have to say shouldn't be apart of the content itself.

Plus he's got enough fans willing to donate to his Patreon that starting his own website is plausible.

what's your point exactly? Is it that he should stop complaining because he can disable comments and/or move his content to a different platform?
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Nov 21, 2017 4:45 PM

Nov 2017
lunaticsrus said:
FacelessKing said:

what's your point exactly? Is it that he should stop complaining because he can disable comments and/or move his content to a different platform?

The point is that insulting comments shouldn't be put on the same level as criticism. If there's good comments to be found he'll keep the section open, doesn't mean stupid comments won't annoy people.
Nov 21, 2017 5:40 PM

Aug 2010
FacelessKing said:
lunaticsrus said:

The point is that insulting comments shouldn't be put on the same level as criticism. If there's good comments to be found he'll keep the section open, doesn't mean stupid comments won't annoy people.

Keep in mind that its a comment section, not a critique corner. It's also the internet as well as intentionally open for everyone. So as we've both said - he can go somewhere else.
Besides, getting annoyed by comments is a weak excuse. If an individual is not there for the comments and are uninterested in the thoughts or nonsense of others, they should ignore the comments like they should any troll. Some people are literally only there for the comments and gain amusement/enjoyment from them and thats fully with in reason.

People spewing opinions is all criticism. Sure some may sound better to you, but thats subjective. Theres no perfect rule or ancient right to be a critic. You dont have to be able to spell well or have objectively good opinions or anything like that.
Nov 21, 2017 5:41 PM

Aug 2015
Been a while since we saw a Digibro thread... then we find out the OP is Digi in disguise.

This thread is basically screaming: Digi only wants to hear his opinion and he doesn't want to hear the opinions of other viewers.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Nov 21, 2017 6:02 PM

Nov 2017
NoobAsian said:
Been a while since we saw a Digibro thread... then we find out the OP is Digi in disguise.

This thread is basically screaming: Digi only wants to hear his opinion and he doesn't want to hear the opinions of other viewers.

Haha well your gonna have to give me the benefit of the doubt when it comes to not being Digi in disguise. Also, toxic comments≠criticism.
lunaticsrus said:
FacelessKing said:

Keep in mind that its a comment section, not a critique corner. It's also the internet as well as intentionally open for everyone. So as we've both said - he can go somewhere else.
Besides, getting annoyed by comments is a weak excuse. If an individual is not there for the comments and are uninterested in the thoughts or nonsense of others, they should ignore the comments like they should any troll. Some people are literally only there for the comments and gain amusement/enjoyment from them and thats fully with in reason.

People spewing opinions is all criticism. Sure some may sound better to you, but thats subjective. Theres no perfect rule or ancient right to be a critic. You dont have to be able to spell well or have objectively good opinions or anything like that.

See, this is the kind of discussion I'm looking for. Really many comments don't give opinions, it's mostly shitposting, it's like if I had to look through 10 pages of 4chan memes just to find your post, and the point is that your somehow required to give people a comments section. Privilege, not a right, you following me? Then there are people who feel entitled to a comments section, like it's literally their right to have their comments read. That's why agree with Digi, because the existence of the comment section doesn't give you the right to be an asshole.

I'm not saying every YouTuber needs to follow Digi's philosophy, if they enjoy their comment section that's fine, but the kind of entitlement people have towards the comment section is the problem. I didn't come on here to say, "people, stop having opinions" it was more like "people don't necessarily deserve a platform to voice their opinion."
FacelessKingNov 21, 2017 6:22 PM
Nov 21, 2017 8:02 PM

Dec 2014
Didn't watch the video.
Only spared a glance for the OP.
I just wanted to see people bitch about Digi. I was not disappointed.
Never change, AD. Never change.
Nov 21, 2017 8:43 PM

Jul 2016
Swagernator said:

That's just my stance.

he made an entire video about why Crunchyroll and FUNimation are shit.
Nov 21, 2017 8:48 PM

Jul 2016
I think that youtube comments make the videos worse.
Nov 21, 2017 8:51 PM

Feb 2016
This is the first time I've seen what Digibro looks like...

Y u dew dis 2 me op?
Nov 21, 2017 9:48 PM

Nov 2014
Actually what he's saying here makes sense. There never really was a comment section below any content till recently (with the internet and shit), you didn't get to watch people's content (in the past would be TV shows and movies), then just leave a remark below for everyone to see.

Now that it's been tried out, it's pretty much proven to be a pretty bad platform for discussion. One liners and jokes will be flooded as top comments. But comments sections now are pretty much a guarantee with most online content nowadays, but the question is "Should people be outraged if the comment section is disabled?"

It's a pretty legitimate question, though I do agree that being able to leave comments shouldn't be an entitlement, I feel that content creators really shouldn't disable a platform for discussion. It's true that it doesn't work, but rather than removing it, there could possibly be room for tweaking it to make it better.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 21, 2017 10:39 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
I am not big on the craze of commenting but i do understand digibros point to an extent...although not completely thought out. The comments are not only for the commentators but also for the creator. It builds morale and motivation when a creator sees positive feedback on his videos. However there are idiots and trolls who just unlike videos before they see them and comment on how it sucks the second they get to the video. If there was a miraculous way to get rid of those, then having the comments section would be great, but as it stands, the next best thing would be hiring someone to allow which comments could be posted, which creates a whole new set of complaints and problems. There is no perfect solution. I think comment sections on videos are a good thing, but as with anything, it could also be used for bad. The best idea would be to reduce as much bad as possible.
Nov 21, 2017 11:13 PM

Aug 2016
Swagernator said:

That's just my stance.

That's a pretty dumb stance, then again this is the internet and you are entitled to your opinion.
Nov 21, 2017 11:22 PM

Nov 2014
anime-prime said:
I am not big on the craze of commenting but i do understand digibros point to an extent...although not completely thought out. The comments are not only for the commentators but also for the creator. It builds morale and motivation when a creator sees positive feedback on his videos. However there are idiots and trolls who just unlike videos before they see them and comment on how it sucks the second they get to the video. If there was a miraculous way to get rid of those, then having the comments section would be great, but as it stands, the next best thing would be hiring someone to allow which comments could be posted, which creates a whole new set of complaints and problems. There is no perfect solution. I think comment sections on videos are a good thing, but as with anything, it could also be used for bad. The best idea would be to reduce as much bad as possible.

I never understood why disliking videos is something people do, usually I just click off instead of interacting with it. Ironically, disliking videos counts as "interaction", so not only does it make that pop up in their recommended, it helps the video. My recommendations on YouTube are highly tailored for my own consumption (through a long period of occasionally clicking "Not Interested"), wouldn't dislike a video and risk a video I found uninteresting popping out again.

The way to solve the issue of comments section is going to be tough, because all channels beyond a certain size are going to have a huge flow of comments, well beyond what these creators can handle monitoring. Besides, it's probably better and more productive for them to work on their new videos rather than spend time erasing troll comments.

On another note, I tend to notice through the YouTube analytics of my channel with a small traffic flow that non-constructive comments and dislikes correspond with low watch time. Take that as you will.
BurningSpiritNov 21, 2017 11:37 PM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 21, 2017 11:32 PM

May 2009
First time I was introduced to Digibro was this one friend of mine who loved his series flaming The Asterisk War. I actually got annoyed enough at that friend's praising that series multiple times, that I ended up watching The Asterisk War. It was okay. It wasn't the horrible thing I was indirectly told it was. (But, Absolute Duo is better.)

Anyway, I never really cared about anime youtubers. That said, this video, this guy kinda has a point here. (video from OP linked again here for reference)

People on the internet DO have a tendency to act really entitled about their right to say whatever they want.

I generally don't care as much about the philosophical implications about who "should" or "shouldn't" have the "right" to do something. Instead, I just say it this way:

1. No one's obligated to give you a place to throw your opinions. Wanna throw your opinions somewhere? Find your own place; make your own opportunity.
2. If you're a jackass about it, expect more people to not want to give you a place.
(On the other hand, if you have relatively normal standards of politeness/decency, people will be more willing to play ball with you.)

Now stop complaining, internet.

What's the picture on the lower left that's in the red box?
GlennMagusHarveyNov 21, 2017 11:37 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 21, 2017 11:39 PM

Oct 2010
Someone is taking that youtuber serioisly, why? So, anyway why can't we shitpost on the internet? Because we kinda shotpost in real life too.
Nov 21, 2017 11:40 PM

Dec 2014
This is what happens when your ego is fragile and the only way you can seek validation in life is through Youtube comments.
Nov 21, 2017 11:48 PM

Nov 2017
Catalano said:
Someone is taking that youtuber serioisly, why? So, anyway why can't we shitpost on the internet? Because we kinda shotpost in real life too.
Well, you totally can shitpost, but people can also take away your platform to do so, and you shouldn't be too surprised if that's just what people do.
Nov 21, 2017 11:54 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
God, everyone in this forum is over dramatic af when it comes to youtubers.

But I don’t agree 100%. I believe there should be some “reform” to comment sections aka fuck your freedom of speech if you’re gonna be a rude dipshit. Because art should be praised and critiqued. Very aware the humans on the internet are gonna act dumb because anonymity but there is clear CONS to removing comments. Think of all the fanartists and amv makers or even fanfiction writers. I can’t speak for everyone but anyone who does work for a community in that sense a majority of the time wants to hear similar fans gush and retail all the hard work they put in. Validation yes but I’m pretty sure it’s a good thing in healthy dosage—not enough to inflate ones ego.

Nov 21, 2017 11:57 PM

May 2009
FacelessKing said:
Catalano said:
Well, you totally can shitpost, but people can also take away your platform to do so, and you shouldn't be too surprised if that's just what people do.
Precisely this.

It's like, we can do things the nice way and the not nice way.

You (general "you", not anyone specifically here, mostly because I am too lazy to read all the comments here) can choose to shitpost and you can choose not to shitpost.

You can display a basic level of courtesy by not posting your mental diarrhea onto a social platform. In response, people around you are more likely to be cool with you being around them.

You can also not give a hoot about courtesy and freely post your mental diarrhea for everyone to see. In response, people around you similarly have the right to scold/criticize/flame/mock you and/or remove you from their social group as they see fit.

It goes both ways.

Now, if you're not being a jackass but someone is being a jackass to you, then yeah, complain. And other people will be more likely to agree with you. But if you're being a jackass, then that puts you on the same level as the other jackass.

Try not to be a jackass. But if you can't do that, then at the very least, try not to be the first jackass.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 22, 2017 12:00 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Exactly @burning spirit, i have not yet in all of my years of youtube disliked a video or said anything negative about it in the comments, although i was tempted to. I just ignored it and said pressed the not interested button.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 11 hours ago

33 by Ricchan__ »»
21 seconds ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 3 hours ago

10 by Ricchan__ »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

67 by PostMahouShoujo »»
4 minutes ago

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

59 by Archfiend836 »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

81 by PostMahouShoujo »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.