Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 19, 2017 1:23 PM

Apr 2016
I read the manga a while back and was enjoying it. I caught up around the early chapters of the 'return to shiganshina' arc. I had enjoyed every arc that predated it and the arc its self. But when the time skip happened after the beach scene it felt really disconnected with the rest of the preceding story. Thinking that it was just a quick flash forward into the future I read with the notion of the story returning to the past.

However the arc did not and then pretty much confirmed to the fandom that unless it was small flash backs to the past the narrative was stuck in this time skip future. After lots of thinking I decided that I was really upset with the direction of the story. Was Isayama really that inpatient that he was going to solve most of the major conflicts with a time skip. I wanted to experience the emotions and the events of the characters clashing ideals in current time. If its flashed backed to the event loses a lot of tension it would have had if the event was happening when the narrative was in the present not the future.

Some what if examples to better understand my frustration

I personally thought that this was very lazy and removed parts of the series i actually wanted to see which ultimately put me off the series.

Why am I saying this because I want to know whether this its worth my time reinvesting myself back into this series.

TL ; DR

The arc after the beach scene in the manga where the time skipped occurred felt really out of place and lazy for me as most of the conflict and the tension I wanted to see was removed from the story by using time skip as an instant quick fix. Its been awhile since i have read so I was wondering should I bother getting up to date.

P.S. sorry for my terrible english I am typing on phone with crap autocorrect
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2017 1:41 PM

Oct 2013
What conflict or tension was skip? It was mostly peaceful when they reach the beach scene, most titans on the island were eliminated.

What I can say is that there are some interesting development happening in the latest chapter and I think it would be the perfect time to catch up on the manga, maybe your perspective will change when the direction the author is heading.

I'm also pretty sure we will eventually get flashbacks to fill us in on what has been happen in these past three years regardimg Eren and co.
Nov 20, 2017 3:49 PM
Aug 2016
keragamming said:
What conflict or tension was skip? It was mostly peaceful when they reach the beach scene, most titans on the island were eliminated.

What I can say is that there are some interesting development happening in the latest chapter and I think it would be the perfect time to catch up on the manga, maybe your perspective will change when the direction the author is heading.

I'm also pretty sure we will eventually get flashbacks to fill us in on what has been happen in these past three years regardimg Eren and co.
What conflict or tension?? Hello 4 years was skipped. I dont want 4 years of flashbacks. This whole arc has been flashbacks and dialogue exposition arc. With no regards into what the hell happened in 4 years. As if nothing interesting happened in the 4 years which I call bullshit.

It feels rushed a bit tbh as if the author just wanted to hurry and change the perspective of the series to the new characters, which I dont have anything against, but the way it was done was quick and abrupt and the consequence was 4 years of time skip. As you can see in the newer chapters. Eren has developed as a character and yet we saw none of it. We got to see and know Eren as this angry brat all the time and out of nowhere 4 years later, he is this totally different, calm, intelligent and calculative individual, and seeing that got me so hyped and excited.

I wanted to see this all happen. What made him develop into an actual man both physically and mentally. And for it to be time skipped on one of the Mc the biggest development they have ever shown or gotten is a bit of a shit move and poor writing choice in that instant. Lots of interesting things this arc has shown and revealed, but also some poorly done things. The latest chapter was probably the most interesting chapter since the basement reveal imo.

At its worst titan is still a decent to good manga, but this manga had and still does have, albeit shrinking potential to be one of the best manga out there.
Nat_PagleNov 20, 2017 3:53 PM
Nov 20, 2017 4:38 PM

Oct 2013
Nat_Pagle said:
keragamming said:

What conflict or tension?? Hello 4 years was skipped. I dont want 4 years of flashbacks. This whole arc has been flashbacks and dialogue exposition arc. With no regards into what the hell happened in 4 years. As if nothing interesting happened in the 4 years which I call bullshit.

It feels rushed a bit tbh as if the author just wanted to hurry and change the perspective of the series to the new characters, which I dont have anything against, but the way it was done was quick and abrupt and the consequence was 4 years of time skip. As you can see in the newer chapters. Eren has developed as a character and yet we saw none of it. We got to see and know Eren as this angry brat all the time and out of nowhere 4 years later, he is this totally different, calm, intelligent and calculative individual, and seeing that got me so hyped and excited.

I wanted to see this all happen. What made him develop into an actual man both physically and mentally. And for it to be time skipped on one of the Mc the biggest development they have ever shown or gotten is a bit of a shit move and poor writing choice in that instant. Lots of interesting things this arc has shown and revealed, but also some poorly done things. The latest chapter was probably the most interesting chapter since the basement reveal imo.

At its worst titan is still a decent to good manga, but this manga had and still does have, albeit shrinking potential to be one of the best manga out there.

It shouldn't be a surprise why Eren is different, with him finding out the truth he learn both Grisha past and the outside world, he found out that titans isn't the real threat and that they are basically victims in all this, this changes Eren perspective overall and his characters.

Go read back chapter 90 the beach scene and tell me if that Eren is the same as the kill them all Eren. Because the Eren in chapter 90 seems more calm minded/mellow imo, that is the Eren you are currently seeing. Currently it is just that you didn't see him interacting enough to notice the subtle change.

So imo, the Eren we are seeing now didn't come out of the blue, because there is a logical explanantion for his change. Like why woukd Eren still have the kill all the titan attitude or hot headed attitude, when:

1. He now knows that titans are actually people of his race, he knows that his father first wife was the smilling titan and now he feels sad instead of anger towards that titan and every titan, so it wouldn't make any sense for Eren to still hate the titans after finding out all these information in the basement.

2. He also understand the warriors situation a lot more, even though he can't forgive them, he can now at least understand their predicament in all this hence what he said in chapter 99 when he said to Reiner that they were just clueless kids in all this.

So by logic, there is no reason why Eren should be the ignorant hot headed Eren of the past, since he isn't ignorant anymore. So I will have to disagree with you on that.

Now about the tension, the only thing that happen on the island in these last 4 years is that 32 ships came and they were all supposedly destroyed by Eren and company. That is it, the rest has been peace in the sense of no threat outside of the walls, sure you would like to see interaction like for eg. Seeing Eren getting interested in women since he is growing up and other stuff, but having chapters and chapters of that will do nothing to progress the story.

This is why timeskip comes in play, if you are interesting in seeing all those stuff, then having bits and pieces of flashback will do the trick. Spending chapters upon chapters of the characters interacting is a waste, and would turn snk into a slice of life series if you guys unreaslitically wanted Isayama to show you guys everything in the last 4 years.

Ultimately I believe these complaints are premature and I believe in the long run most people will see the pay off in all this.

keragammingNov 20, 2017 4:48 PM
Nov 21, 2017 11:44 AM
Jun 2012
For a thread about trying to get someone to read the manga, you folks sure did spoil the hell out of it.
Nov 21, 2017 2:44 PM

May 2017
Look, I get your point, the Return to Shiganshina arc was pretty intense, but it never ended with a tension, infact the ending of it was such a perfect start for the Marley arc, especially with Eren's words at the beach scene, because now that we've learned all about the history of their world, it's about time we get to see the other side of the story.
The flashbacks aren't pointless or lazy,

Reiner's backstory is also very well-written, it shows you that RBA weren't really the ones at fault, they were just kids who didn't know any better and got manipulated even by their own parents

So, I'd say if you don't dig this arc you should probably wait for it until it's over and then start reading again once we get back to the main cast.
RoowanxNov 21, 2017 2:48 PM
Nov 25, 2017 11:11 AM
May 2017
I can't remember if it's true or not but i think that the beach scene happened one year after the basement reveal didn't it? So its been five years since the basement reveal not four like some people think.
Nov 25, 2017 6:17 PM

Aug 2012
Pichufreak100 said:
I can't remember if it's true or not but i think that the beach scene happened one year after the basement reveal didn't it? So its been five years since the basement reveal not four like some people think.
Nov 25, 2017 6:36 PM
May 2017
sim0n2170 said:
Pichufreak100 said:

Yea I looked it up afterwards, the chapter itself says about one year which is misleading, but looking further into it tells you how much time has passed exactly.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 13 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - May 15, 2011

21 by Steekira »»
Mar 27, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Oct 6, 2015

132 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 17, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 72 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ana - Aug 6, 2015

119 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 16, 9:19 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 69 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

peskylemur25 - May 2, 2015

127 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 5, 8:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.