Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 16, 2017 8:24 PM

Sep 2016
A lot of people claim Sailor Moon and Madoka Magica to be the best but I disagree.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 16, 2017 8:26 PM

Apr 2013
In my opinion some of the series within the Precure franchise are quite amazing, for me those ones are Futari wa, Heartcatch, and Go! Princess

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Nov 16, 2017 8:30 PM

Oct 2013
You should mention in which aspect
because I highly doubt any one show could be better than every other show of its kind in all categories as all shows have their weak and strong suites
but if you just want us to mention favs then Magical Girl Elena is my fav personally

https://myanimelist.net/anime/10770/Mahou_Shoujo_Elena
Nov 16, 2017 8:32 PM

May 2014
Eh, I'd probably say Cardcaptor Sakura, even though I've only watched like 20% of it.
Aug 2014
Will mostly likely be Ojamajo Doremi.

Jun 2017
OP , you said you disagree but you didn't explain anything and didn't give us your favourite one , wtf man?

Nov 16, 2017 8:38 PM
Jul 2018
For me personally its Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru.
Nov 16, 2017 8:38 PM

Sep 2015
Madoka Magica and Flip Flappers are the only magical girl anime I've seen (I think) so I'll go with those. Also cause they're fucking great shows.
Nov 16, 2017 8:39 PM

Nov 2016
Sailor Moon and Madoka are probably just the most popular ones and not necessarily the best,but I still think that both shows are pretty good.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 16, 2017 8:40 PM
Apr 2013
OP is a cuck for not including Petite Princess Yucie.
Nov 16, 2017 8:41 PM

Oct 2017
I just have watched Nanoha, Madoka Magica, Princess Tutu, Yuuki Yuuna, Sakura and Day Break Illusion.

From those Madoka its best one in my opinion, contrary to the other that was annoying when I was them, like being childish (Sakura), melodramatic (Yuuna) bizarre (Tutu) or too much friendship power (Nanoha) didn't found something too distracting on it.

Edit: forgot about Fate/Kaleid, but that have way too much fanservice to be considered the best.
HeimurNov 16, 2017 8:51 PM

Nov 16, 2017 8:46 PM

Apr 2016
Sounds like an opinion based thread. If you ask me, I would like to say Cardcaptor Sakura but I also have Fate/Kaleid on my list too.
Nov 16, 2017 9:03 PM

Nov 2009
Best magical girl is Cardcaptor Sakura.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Nov 16, 2017 9:35 PM

Dec 2015
I have only finished Madoka Magica so my vote goes towards that. It wasn't that great though.
Nov 16, 2017 10:09 PM

Apr 2015
Madoka Magica. Second goes to Kill la Kill. Both of them doesn't suffer the problem of turning my foreknowledge o meter on (Well pastel yumi is also kind of minimum too but holy hell the voice acting and expression is incredibly bad, Yumi JP dub sounds really like obaba). Both also explores intriguing themes (Madoka is thought provoking about the nature of wish, while Kill la Kill is thought provoking about the impact of stature and modernism to humanity in a postmodernist way of storytelling). But in the end, even Madoka, my dubbed favorite anime ever, I see it now as an inferior version of Dies Irae VN in it's own game (it has more depth, diversity, and fun level). Hence why I'm skeptic at anime now.

Prillya has nice fanservicey moments and struggles but it stings quite much of my foreknowledge o meter. Utena? It wasn't just stung my foreknowledge o meter really hard, but I think all the duel scenes are entirely skippable except for 2 duels. It's super lazy that it isn't just repetitive but it recycled scenes.

Princess Tutu? I like it a bit. It's pretty neat and calm. Perhaps I might enjoyed it more if I haven't been exposed to Monster Girl Quest before (both looks very different yet is very similar IMO).
YouNov 16, 2017 10:17 PM
Nov 16, 2017 10:17 PM

Apr 2016
I'll have to go with Cardcaptor Sakura and Madoka Magica. They are two of favourites.
Nov 16, 2017 10:26 PM

Mar 2012
Here I just want to say that YuYuYu is really underrated and underapreciated.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Nov 16, 2017 10:27 PM

Jul 2017
Fate Kaleid Prisma Illya. That would count, right?

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Nov 16, 2017 10:28 PM

Dec 2016
It should be completely obvious to everyone involved Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? was a groundbreaking and original magical girl show. A once in a lifetime anime that completely shattered the cliched norms of its time. It went on to further illustrate the rampant toxic femininity and gender stereotypes so prevalent in the industry. Most of all however. it didn't even really try to cross those forbidden taboos and socially constructed boundaries and bring us all closer together. Quite simply, a masterpiece of humanity.

Nov 16, 2017 10:30 PM

Oct 2017
Mine would be Clemps (from youtube).

We can only have good tea
while we're alive.

Nov 16, 2017 11:04 PM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
My personal favourite: Mahou Shoujo-tai Arusu.
best: Heartcatch Precure! & Suite Precure♪.
The rest of the franchise is also gold. Glad to see other people mention the Precure franchise.

Honorable mention to Uta Kata. One hell of a dark show that was to early with the dark stuff and fell under the radar.
Nov 16, 2017 11:15 PM

Jun 2015
Haven't watched many but Tutu is my favourite and what I have seen of Nanoha is pretty good. I did not like Madoka very much.
:)
Nov 16, 2017 11:16 PM

Mar 2016
I haven't seen that many magical girl shows, but I really like Cardcaptor Sakura. One of my favourites of all time.
Nov 17, 2017 12:03 AM

Aug 2015
I don't often watch magical girl..

But when I do, I think the best one for me is CCS. Lol XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Nov 17, 2017 12:30 AM
Aug 2017
I've only seen Madoka Magica so i don't really have a word in this matter but Cardcaptor Sakura seems to be the most people choice .
Nov 17, 2017 12:34 AM

Oct 2017
I have only seen Madoka Magica, and I loved it.

So I vote for that...
Nov 17, 2017 12:39 AM

Oct 2014
None even come close to Ojamajo Doremi for me. Princess Tutu is excellent though, and CardCaptor Sakura is also worth your time.
Nov 17, 2017 12:45 AM

Nov 2016
try to watch Yuuki Yuuna, it's similiar as madoka story

but it's better

Nov 17, 2017 12:49 AM

Jul 2013
Minky Momo, Cardcaptor Sakura, Ojomajo Doremi, Tokyo Mew Mew, Pretty Cure, and Shugo Chara were the ones that made me fall in love with anime back when I was younger.
toumei_Nov 17, 2017 12:54 AM
Nov 17, 2017 12:57 AM

Apr 2012
Princess Tutu for sure. Expresses quintessential magic girl themes brilliantly, incredible character development, multilayered storytelling, beautiful choreography, and one of the most emotional experiences in all of anime. Unless Utena counts as one, but I don't personally classify it that way.

Madoka, which pulls off the "dark side of the genre" thing to such utter perfection that it makes what is normally a bad idea into a good idea, CCS, the show which is just about love, and that's such a great fit for the genre, and Flip Flappers, which does so many things with great talent and ties it all together with the most amazing visual flair, are the other greats of the genre.

As for other mentions as of the time I'm writing this, haven't seen much of PreCure but it seems quite routine to me, tentacle rape is a different genre, Ojamajo Doremi has just never caught my attention, Yuuki Yuuna is well made but all of its surprises were insufficiently surprising, Sailor Moon has some brilliant content but an awful lot of monster of the week disposability, PPY is good but I couldn't ever call it brilliant, Nanoha and Ilya are well made and enjoyable but have no ambitions beyond this, Kill la Kill magic girl? Mahou Shoujo-tai Arusu is nice but hardly groundbreaking, and Uta Kata is ambitious but a trifle confused.
Nov 17, 2017 1:44 AM

Jul 2013
Dai Mahou Touge is the best one. Or at least, the one I liked the most. Of the other magical girl series I have watched, Madoka has nice visuals, but I was unable to care for the characters, and I didn't liked the Rebellion movie, I have watched the first two seasons of Precure (the ones with Nagisa and Honoka as the main characters), and, while I liked (or at least I enjoyed) them, I barely remember most of the details of the series (I watched them when I was a kid, practically), Fate/kaleid is good, but the anime doesn't makes justice to the manga, I liked a lot Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou, but the series ended too soon to reveal it's true potential, and Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku was very hit or miss.

On the other hand, I love Symphogear, and, technically, that one should count, but the series is not much of a magical girl series as much as is Saint Seiya with tons of yuri teasing.
Nov 17, 2017 1:45 AM

Apr 2015
I enjoy a lot Precure franchise, but it has its low moments. So for me Cutey Honey 70's version, Majokko Megu-chan and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt are gold.
Nov 17, 2017 1:51 AM

Apr 2011
Haven't seen Nanoha or Precure, but Full Moon wo Sagashite, Cardcaptor Sakura and Princess Tutu is the holy trinity for me.
Nov 17, 2017 1:53 AM
Jun 2016
If you're a male you shouldn't be watching magical girl shit. It's like being a male and watching My Little Pony.

Why the fuck is there a double standard for anime in everything? You guys shit on Family Guy, a comedy show with lots of pop culture references, while praising Gintama, a comedy show with lots of pop culture references. You wouldn't watch shitty 80s Barbie "shows" but you will watch Sailor Moon as if that's any better. Fuck, I'm guilty myself because all I watch is mecha while turning my nose up at Transformers (though that's also theoretically an anime so I might be safe). Why do you refuse to watch western versions of the same shit anime is doing?

Back on topic, I saw Madoka on the recommendation of a friend. It wasn't a "deconstruction", nor was it smart, it was just edgy crap. If people are saying that it's the best of the genre then clearly the genre has nothing to offer that should make anyone who isn't a twelve year old girl watch it.
'ate gundam
Nov 17, 2017 2:07 AM

Dec 2013
My knowledge is limited in that one but Tutu set the bar ridiculously high for me...
Nov 17, 2017 2:18 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
harpseal2 said:
If you're a male you shouldn't be watching magical girl shit. It's like being a male and watching My Little Pony.

Opinion. Rather watch magical girls then Eva

Back on topic, I saw Madoka on the recommendation of a friend. It wasn't a "deconstruction", nor was it smart, it was just edgy crap.

Have to agree with you on this one.

If people are saying that it's the best of the genre then clearly the genre has nothing to offer that should make anyone who isn't a twelve year old girl watch it.

People say it is the best of the genre, because they haven't seen more then 5 different series. Also it has more to offer then you know.
You already saying it doesn't have anything to offer without watching more series says more about you as a person.

Nov 17, 2017 2:21 AM

Nov 2016
Definitely Madoka Magica. It's a masterpiece in my opinion. I haven't seen a whole lot of magical girl shows though
Nov 17, 2017 2:32 AM
Jun 2017
Dark, more serius magical girl show: Madoka Magica

Lighthearted magical girl show: Cardcaptor Sakura

A combination of both: Princess Tutu

Objectively, I would not be able to decide their positions but my personal favorite one among the three is Madoka. You can really analyze a lot of its contents and will encounter interesting thematics (if you are willing to of course), which makes me completely forget about the problems of the show.

Princess Tutu is a really wonderful and criminally underrated/unpopular show. I recommend every anime fan to watch it, even if they are not that into magical girl shows. It is just a really good series.
Nov 17, 2017 2:33 AM

Feb 2013
if Revolutionary Girl Utena counts, then that

pushing the definitions of mahou shoujo and al that
Nov 17, 2017 2:38 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Utena. Yes it counts. And it's the best.
Nov 17, 2017 2:43 AM

Apr 2012
KushHaze said:
People praise them because of there popularity.

This theory (apart from being stupid and insulting) has a severe bootstrapping problem.
Nov 17, 2017 3:36 AM

Apr 2015
I hope the OP doesn't made this thread to condescendingly diss on Sailor Moon or Madoka. I haven't watched SM but Saturn looks so hot.

But then again in terms of writing, seriously did you people who say Princess Tutu is best one didn't see the obvious writing problem with Myuutho the Prince?
harpseal2 said:

Back on topic, I saw Madoka on the recommendation of a friend. It wasn't a "deconstruction", nor was it smart, it was just edgy crap. If people are saying that it's the best of the genre then clearly the genre has nothing to offer that should make anyone who isn't a twelve year old girl watch it.

Or maybe just you being a reductionist garbage.
Nov 17, 2017 3:41 AM

Jun 2008

So...Is the Ayumu cosplayer a girl or guy?!

Cuz, I want to know...
Nov 17, 2017 4:23 AM

Jul 2015
Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero is my favorite, but Madoka and Princess Tutu are freaking great as well.
Nov 17, 2017 4:25 AM

Dec 2016
--ALEX-- said:

Cuz, I want to know...

I have no idea! Don't you see? That is some ninth degree warp fuckery right there! A girl cross dressing as a who guy cross dressing or maybe not! WHO KNOWS! Fuck my head almost exploded from the quantum level gender stereotype destruction calculations I was just forced to run that is the greatest Magical Girl show of all time.
Nov 17, 2017 4:32 AM

Aug 2015
I haven't watched many magical girl shows, but I'd say Madoka, closely followed by Princess Tutu.
Nov 17, 2017 4:33 AM

Jul 2015
romagia said:
if Revolutionary Girl Utena counts, then that

pushing the definitions of mahou shoujo and al that

I'm gonna push so much I'll say Kill la Kill (^:. But yeah, Utena is the best.

Konakana said:
Will mostly likely be Ojamajo Doremi.

Excellent pick too, I really need to see the other seasons.
Nov 17, 2017 4:38 AM

Jun 2008
Soverign said:
--ALEX-- said:

Cuz, I want to know...

I have no idea! Don't you see? That is some ninth degree warp fuckery right there! A girl cross dressing as a who guy cross dressing or maybe not! WHO KNOWS! Fuck my head almost exploded from the quantum level gender stereotype destruction calculations I was just forced to run that is the greatest Magical Girl show of all time.

Girl or guy...I don’t care...

If you look like that...I’ll hit it.
Nov 17, 2017 9:01 AM

May 2009
The Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha series.

Tense and emotional drama, and then it even adds military politics and tactics in the third season.

But the whole way through, and even in the spinoff Vivid Strike, it keeps a very consistent theme: the theme of reaching out to people, even your sworn enemies, and treating and respecting them as people even as you fight them. Don't confuse opposition with hatred.

I really like this theme.

As for something more traditional, the Pretty Cure series is pretty cool, being both a frilly-cute-things series and an action series at the same time (contrast Sailor Moon for example). I've only seen Fresh, and it's pretty good (no pun intended), but I've heard even better things about Heartcatch Pretty Cure, and also that even the first season (Futari wa Pretty Cure) is no slouch. Plus that first season has Marble Screw. And Heartcatch has Cure Moonlight.

For a darker take on the genre, I didn't find Madoka Magica that effective. It felt preachy, stiff, and contrived. Instead, for a more emotional "darker take", I recommend Yuuki Yuuna Is A Hero (Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru).
GlennMagusHarveyNov 17, 2017 10:41 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 17, 2017 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
Madoka is my favorite, followed by Nanoha.
Best? Nice bait
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you chronically online?

Shizuna - Apr 21

33 by Ende_uraa »»
6 seconds ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

39 by perseii »»
37 seconds ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

91 by shiro-seishun »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

6 by Tirinchas »»
4 minutes ago

» 2024 Challenge Help

d_lynne - Apr 21

5 by Jaycer »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.