Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2017 3:35 AM
Aug 2010
Holy crap, that was absolutely fantastic and I'm now convinced that Rintaro is a genius. But I don't want to make it sound like something "deep" or try-hard "artsy" because it's not; it was just a surreal, modern-day ghost story with an ESP twist. But what made it mind-blowing is just how well executed it was. The animation, the humor, the extremely unique direction, the stylized and cartoony yet extremely organic and skillful character drawings, it was all absolutely spot on. The only minor criticism I have is that animation shortcuts started popping up in the second half, but given this is such a niche work it's amazing that they could muster so much great animation to begin work.

A lot of people say "I don't get it". Well there's nothing to get. It's the cartoon equivalent of Edgar Allen Poe short stories. See: "The Masque of the Red Death" or "MS. Found in a Bottle". The similar artistic appeal of this story should be obvious to anyone who has even a tiny bit of experience with surreal, spooky stories.

THERE'S NO NEED TO HAVE THAT SHIT EXPLAINED. The entire appeal of Poe stories, the Fuan no Tane manga (that people shit on for "not explaining enough, being too short, too random"), and Take The X Train itself. The appeal of all this stuff comes from the loose ends. IF you understood the story perfectly, there'd be nothing to be spooked about anymore.

Simple but perfect story, amazing animation, genius direction, fantastic and very skillfully drawn character design. 10/10.
busterbeamNov 16, 2017 1:34 PM
Nov 17, 2017 11:24 PM
Aug 2009
why did you post almost the exact same thing into two threads in such a tiny forum my man
Nov 18, 2017 8:52 AM
Aug 2010
You're right, I deleted it.
Jun 15, 2020 2:21 PM

Jun 2013
One of the most different OVA's of its time.
Aug 20, 2020 6:18 PM

Jul 2016
Not exactly sure what I watched but it unfortunately did not hold my attention. Extremely slow paced with nothing that captured my attention to make me think there might be some more meaning to all of this.

I did like the animation, though.
Dec 31, 2020 2:32 PM

Jun 2014
I insta dropped this like a minute or 2 in, basically unwatchable.
:3
May 28, 2021 2:31 PM

Aug 2017
I liked the opening scene when everybody other than the talking character froze. Pretty funny to see jazzy soundtracks in obscure anime.
Jun 15, 2023 1:42 AM

Jan 2016
woah, incredible art, animation, soundtrack, everything so beautiful, and it's just an OVA, I wonder what was the budget...

More topics from this board

» X Densha de Ikou - Main

B-7 - Sep 12, 2009

4 by AnimeEmperor »»
Nov 17, 2017 11:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.