Forum Settings
Forums

Are you satisfied with how your country is represented in anime?

New
Nov 13, 2017 9:14 AM

Sep 2014
Are the references to your country in anime even accurate to the local geography or are the anime characters from your country believable or are they actually stereotyped?

I've not seen much reference to Canada in anime, but some of them include:

A scene inside a building in Canada in Grisaia no Meikyuu.
An ad on a Beaver's tail (A pastry from Canada) in the background in Tsuki ga kirei when they were in the amusement park.
A character was said transferred to Canada in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu.

There aren't much reference to the poutine's nation in anime and it's quite surprising considering that there are actually a lot of native Japanese currently living in Canada.

I'm curious if the other country or other nationality are accurately referenced in anime.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 13, 2017 9:17 AM

May 2014
If Norway has been represented in anime, I've either never seen it or forgotten about it.
Nov 13, 2017 9:20 AM

Feb 2016
Yeah, I'm not a murican so I wouldn't care.
Of course they are stereotyped, that's what anime is.
Nov 13, 2017 9:20 AM
Nov 2014
Ericonator said:
If Norway has been represented in anime, I've either never seen it or forgotten about it.

Nakiri Alice went to Norway to learn to cook better in Food Wars. Also in Saga of Tanya the evil there were Norwegians fighting with the allied.
Nov 13, 2017 9:24 AM

Sep 2017
I've never seen my country (Chile) represented in any anime.
I'm sure I have seen moa'i, the Rapa Nui (Easter Island) statues depicted in anime, but I don't know if that counts.

Nov 13, 2017 9:25 AM

May 2014
AndreaIsASeal said:
Ericonator said:

Nakiri Alice went to Norway to learn to cook better in Food Wars. Also in Saga of Tanya the evil there were Norwegians fighting with the allied.
Yep, forgot about it :p
I recall that happening after you mentioned it though.
Nov 13, 2017 9:26 AM

Sep 2015
yup, it's a spot on depiction of where i'm from
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Nov 13, 2017 9:32 AM
May 2017
I don't really see India much, but I remember in Code Geass that the Black Knights were assisted in second season, but the 'Maharaj'(King) also supplied Mechas to... China? So yeah, I don't really care much
Nov 13, 2017 9:34 AM

Jun 2010
The few brazilian characters I remember being in animes are heavily stereotyped. They are black and play capoeira.
Not all brazilians are black, and to be honest, most of the people here are not black and don't even know what capoeira is.

And me ? I'm whiter than most europeans.
Nov 13, 2017 9:37 AM
Aug 2016
I don't recall any references to my garbage country :^(
Nov 13, 2017 9:38 AM

Aug 2015
The first anime that comes to mind is the K-On Movie. Not sure how believable the characters were but KyoAni did a great job at portraying locations across the city. There are plenty of British anime characters but I don't really pay attention to stereotypes.
Nov 13, 2017 9:40 AM

Nov 2016
Never have seen something which has offended me, so I'm fine.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 13, 2017 9:47 AM
kinda tired

Apr 2017
Well, I doubt my country will ever get a single mention in anime. And yes, I'm satisfied with that, as it doesn't deserve one.
Nov 13, 2017 9:53 AM

Sep 2016
I wish old anime weren't the only ones that represent france
Nov 13, 2017 9:54 AM

Apr 2016
Well, i never seen my country in anime.
Nov 13, 2017 9:58 AM

Feb 2015
How Charlotte featured Philippines is quite good in my opinion... Well, we can always get rid of those who doesn't like how it was viewed by ignoring their opinion, in which I do most cases.

And I ask you all, are you satisfied with how Japan is represented in anime?! Of course you are! The waifus are there and the fappable lolis are there!
Nov 13, 2017 10:05 AM

Apr 2012
Plenty of depictions of Britain, so it varies quite a lot. The ones which emphasise stuff like monarchy or Christianity like Hellsing tend to irritate me, the K-ON movie has got to be objectively the best, shot with all of KyoAni's verisimilitude and attention to detail. But my favourite has to be Read or Die etc. precisely for its complete lack of accuracy. The British Library as a superhero/supervillainous organisation? I'm in.
Nov 13, 2017 10:11 AM

Apr 2015
This is the most accurate representation of America in anime.

"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 13, 2017 10:12 AM

Jul 2013
Don't remember many animes where Spain has been protrayed (though I heard some animes where it has been actually feautured). Last I remember is Shoukoku no Altair, where the equivalent of Spain is presented as a bunch of city-states inhabited by mercenaries ruled by two crippled twin old dudes. It was quite amusing, tbh.
Nov 13, 2017 10:14 AM

Apr 2016
I guess I am satisfied. They do show stereotypes, but they are good stereotypes (whatever that is).

A good example would be my signature. I loved that scene from the Kobayashi-san special episode so much that I made it my signature to represent my country.
Manyaa_-Nov 13, 2017 10:18 AM
Nov 13, 2017 10:15 AM

Dec 2014
Several german words spoken
Several opening songs with german language
Several characters with german names

well. germany and nippon are best buddies i guess
Nov 13, 2017 10:17 AM

Jul 2012

I'm totally okay with it.
I mean, it is not that Japan is not stereotyped as well in a lot of western media, so XD

Nov 13, 2017 10:17 AM

Sep 2017
Dont care that much. I only remember hetalia doing it but it is a decent anime.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 13, 2017 10:18 AM

Jul 2016
Australia was really well represented in Free! Eternal Summer.
Nov 13, 2017 10:20 AM

Oct 2010
OP, you will probably be familiar with the source story, but check Takahata's Anne of Green Gables.

Anime in Spain... uhm, there was a short by Kenji Kamiyama called Xi Avant which was a nice visual but kind of meh sociocultural portrayal of Barcelona. Nasu: Andalusia no natsu is a similar one except probably a little more on point. The arc of Dressrosa in One Piece is based on Spain, and some other shows where characters travel here for an episode or a special... all of these have in common that they are very interesting and accurate portrayals of the places they are based on, but obviously the Japanese point of view of how Spanish society works is quite weird to me. But the representation itself is fine. A lot of folklore stuff that is always the first thing tourists are driven to so I guess it's understandable. But sorry, Japan, we don't usually dance sevillanas in the middle of the street and bullfighting is kind of not a thing currently.

Sora no Woto is a special case because the scenarios are based on the Spanish town of Cuenca but the society it portrays does not intend to resemble the original.

omg why is this so accurate
Nov 13, 2017 10:58 AM

Aug 2015
Although there are not many anime which mention india or had indian characters but those who has.They have mostly shown india or indians in a stereotypical way associated with curry,hinduism,poverty,caste system,Rajas,yoga etc and so far i am satisfied with whatever role indian appears.
Anime which mention or had Indian characters are

PRINCE SOMA ASMAN KADAR and MINA(Kuroshitsuji)

INDIA (Hetalia)

AKIRA AGARKAR YAMADA (Tsuritama)

MINA KANDASWAMY (Darker than Black)

KRISHNA RAMESH (Baby Steps)

Amanti Patel(Space Brothers)

Dr. Rakshata Chawla (Code Geass)

Apart from them India has been mentioned quite a few times in Shokugeki no soma.

I still wish that animes show india more frequently and in a less stereotypical way
Nov 13, 2017 11:05 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
lots of stuff in german for some reason, it uses the language a lot more than most foreign media i've seen

probably has something to do with this

though anime also has laura bodewig who i am immensely grateful for

Nov 13, 2017 11:14 AM

Jan 2008
Yes, it portrays the US quite nicely.

Nov 13, 2017 11:22 AM

Jun 2017
Endlosschleife said:
Several german words spoken
Several opening songs with german language
Several characters with german names

well. germany and nippon are best buddies i guess
uhh you're lucky , Monster's set in Germany , although the characters don't speak German , I guess all Germans speak Japanese :D

Nov 13, 2017 11:33 AM

Apr 2016
Never seen Morocco in anime not even hetalia, maybe once referenced but i don't remember the anime
Nov 13, 2017 11:47 AM

Dec 2012
taynis said:

I'm totally okay with it.
I mean, it is not that Japan is not stereotyped as well in a lot of western media, so XD

I was going to mention this but I was too slow I guess. And yeah I'm totally fine with it. It's stereotyped as fuck but honestly I see no problem with that. And it actually represents a lot of what Japanese people think about Brazil. I remember asking a professor in the unversity I studied in Japan what he thought of when he thought about Brazil and he actually answered Carnival, Soccer and Coffee. So yeah pretty much this scene from Sakamoto.
Nov 13, 2017 12:27 PM

Nov 2017
Little Witch Academia had an episode in Finland, though they never called us by name. Too many mountains, names were sort of weird and I've no idea what that yeti was doing there, but the rest felt fine enough for Lapland. Saunas, reindeer, nature and weird food are pretty much what we broadcast of ourselves to the outside world, so you can't really blame them.

Seriously, though, every portrayal of Finland in Japanese media I've come across has too many mountains. We don't have any mountains. Stop with those mountains!
Nov 13, 2017 12:36 PM

Jan 2017
There's an entire Black Lagoon episode on Venezuela (the country i was born)

It's so freaking realistic that ends up being scary xD

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Nov 13, 2017 12:40 PM

Jul 2016

Brazil is exactly like this.
Nov 13, 2017 12:46 PM

May 2014
I think it's funny how British people in anime seem to be posh, arrogant tea-drinkers...but I kind of think Hetalia got it right.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2017 12:46 PM

Jun 2017
Lalakoboldslayer said:
The few brazilian characters I remember being in animes are heavily stereotyped. They are black and play capoeira.
Not all brazilians are black, and to be honest, most of the people here are not black and don't even know what capoeira is.

To be fair , Brazilians are always represented like that in almost every animated show I've seen , I mean , look at those episodes where The Simpsons go to Brazil , that shit is insulting imo .

Nov 13, 2017 12:52 PM

Feb 2015
Well America is one big stereotype so... I'm pretty satisfied
Nov 13, 2017 12:53 PM

Jun 2010
MastxadowX said:

Is this a bait ?

If it is, sorry but I don't like soccer, actually I don't like most sports.
Nov 13, 2017 12:54 PM

Mar 2016
Idk exactly, but I think this Gundam is a reference to the Netherlands.....
I also heard that
but I haven't seen it yet.

Also Chiisana Ahiru no Ooki na Ai no Monogatari: Ahiru no Kwak and Anne no Nikki takes place in the Netherlands.
KnotImpNov 13, 2017 12:58 PM
Nov 13, 2017 12:56 PM

Jan 2016
For the country I am from (America), it sometimes seems a little cliched and maybe bashing but generally I like the ways their shown. As for where I live, if they didn’t represent it well then I don’t know what they would be representing x3
Nov 13, 2017 12:58 PM

Oct 2017
No-one ever mentions Canada...
:\
What do Japanese people even think about Canadians?

Forum set by -Oreo-

Nov 13, 2017 12:59 PM

Jun 2010
Jare4lopez said:
Lalakoboldslayer said:

To be fair , Brazilians are always represented like that in almost every animated show I've seen , I mean , look at those episodes where The Simpsons go to Brazil , that shit is insulting imo .

Yes they are, but that doesn't mean it's true. To be realistic, that stereotype represents something like 2% of the population here.
LalakoboldslayerNov 13, 2017 2:21 PM
Nov 13, 2017 1:02 PM

Jan 2014
i dont think denmark has ever been refered to except for in hetalia. never seen iraq mentioned anywhere too
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Nov 13, 2017 1:31 PM

Mar 2012
As a Brit we are probably the second most common foreigner after the Yanks to be depicted in anime (maybe tied 2nd place with the Germans) so there's quite a variety of characters. Japanese seems to follow the American hollywood stereotype of us where we are society of 50% clever elite aristocrats with the other 50% being cockneys.
I'm fine with this stereotype, our characters in anime are usually done in a pretty good light.
Nov 13, 2017 1:36 PM

Jul 2016
Lalakoboldslayer said:
MastxadowX said:

Is this a bait ?

If it is, sorry but I don't like soccer, actually I don't like most sports.

No it's a JOKE.
I don't like soccer too,but almost everyone i know treats soccer as a religion.
Nov 13, 2017 1:46 PM

Aug 2017
idk, the japaneses think that the french guys are only good to make cake and "pâtisseries".They use a lot of stereotypes but i find it fun sometimes xD
Nov 13, 2017 1:48 PM
Jul 2018
Brazil... so:
-According to Assassination Classroom, we are a bunch of 7-1 butthurts (fun fac: during the day of that match, I was actually wearing a shirt with the German flag on it and I'm from the city where that match happened. Until today I don't know how I did not get shot dead.);
-According to my favorite anime, Darker than black, my home is located inside Heaven's Gate. Only god knows what happened to it because looks like not even the author knows! THANK YOU FOR NOT GIVING US A PROPER ANSWER MR.AUTHOR WHO I WILL NOT EVEN BOTHER REMEMBERING THE NAME /rant;
-According to El Cazador de la Bruja, we speak Portuguese and offer money to those who help us deal with drug dealers, what is really accurate and made me happy^^.
removed-userNov 13, 2017 2:46 PM
Nov 13, 2017 1:49 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
do people actually pay attention to this kind of stuff?
Nov 13, 2017 1:51 PM
Apr 2014
Sure
.............................................................................................
Nov 13, 2017 1:52 PM

Oct 2017
ChRonicCorneria said:
No-one ever mentions Canada...
:\
What do Japanese people even think about Canadians?

Well we did get that travel ad and Iron Blood Orphans actually animated my home town Edmonton for the finale of the first season. So guess that was cool though considering that series is in the future I am surprised that it pretty much looks how Edmonton does today though I don't know that much about the Gundam universe so maybe that makes sense.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/2016/03/23/famous-anime-series-models-city-on-edmonton.html
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 9 hours ago

9 by LenRea »»
24 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

92 by JaniSIr »»
25 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Yesterday

49 by fae »»
25 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

17 by Ratris_Decision »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.