Forum Settings
Forums

Anime character you started out hating, but somehow changed your opinion of.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Nov 12, 2017 10:40 AM

Title says it all. One that comes to mind for me was Blackstar in Soul Eater (the dub didn't help either). I started out hating the little runt but by the end i was rooting for him. But I cant really put to words how.

Nov 12, 2017 10:43 AM

Eva Heinemann from Monster comes to mind. When she first showed up in the series I didn't like her, but when they started developing her she became one of the better characters in the series.

Nov 12, 2017 10:45 AM

"Legal translators and subbers for anime/manga are like the Shichibukai, basically pirates hired by companies to keep other pirates in check."-SuperRed

Nov 12, 2017 10:48 AM

This glorious man of sciences and best dad

Because we're stupid that we love to have fun

Nov 12, 2017 10:49 AM

おかえりなさい

Nov 12, 2017 10:53 AM

Asuka from Eva. After rewatching the series numerous times I just started enjoying seeing her character, her irritating bitchiness became amusing, and really helped to lighten the mood before the show got horribly dark. She actually has character too, unlike Rei.
meme supreme, shitpost extraordinaire

Remove Zeon.

There are a few actually, all for different reasons!

*Sebastian Michaelis (Black Butler)>> the extent of how perfect he was just really annoyed me...pretty weird, I know. Of course, he's one of my favorite characters now, I mean, what girl can resist a butler? I started liking him a lot more after the first season, I guess XD

*Jotaro Kujo (JoJo)>> I initially dropped Part 3 because I hated him so much. First episode he's the protagonist and he's already calling his mother a bitch...I slowly warmed up to his coolness though. He's charming in his own way, especially in future parts.

*Light Yagami (Death Note)>> oh boy, oh boy, I can't describe how much I wanted to see Light suffer all the way through the series. I really couldn't stand him the entire time. It was only during the final episode and after that I looked back and thought he was actually a pretty incredible protagonist.

*Dio Brando (JoJo)>> okay, so I hated his guts when he was introduced but he's so fun to hate that it just turned into love instead lmao
Dio is so awful but I can't find it in myself to seriously hate him anymore- JoJo without Dio is like bread without butter or tea without sugar...there's just something not quite right about it! The story wouldn't have even have started without him.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

100% this.

Ah and also Taichi from Chihayafuru.
One Piece episode 914 & 915 were a mistake.

Nov 12, 2017 11:04 AM

Only one that comes to mind is Okinu from Ghost Sweeper Mikami. Her character (and voice) annoyed the hell out of me initially but by the end she was my favorite character on the show. I got used to her voice and she was such a sweetheart it was impossible not to like her by the end.

Generally I just drop shows if there's a character I truly cannot stand beyond words, so perhaps "hate" is a little strong in this case, but I certainly did not like her at the start.

Nov 12, 2017 11:33 AM
Yuri Connoisseur

Ange from Cross Ange. Since she used to be a spoiled princess she acted very arrogant and thought she was superior to everyone but after certain events in the anime she becomes one of the most strong and badass female characters I've seen. She had amazing character development.

Nov 12, 2017 11:37 AM

I don't think there is such a character.

podetus said:

How can you even hate him in the first place ? he's such a good character, not like those pussy-like villains we see hundreds of.

do kpop idols get recycled when they died?

Nov 12, 2017 11:38 AM

Accelerator from Index series. Really didn't like him until he started getting developed in volume 13,15 and then really took a liking with volume 19.
Even ended up as one of my favourite characters (at least for a while because I'm not sure he should still be there in the top 10, but he certainly was here for a good reason before) so that was a huge change.

Nov 12, 2017 11:43 AM

I rarely truly dislike a character, there's no chance they get better if I do.

podetus said:

alright, time to read the manga, damn

Nov 12, 2017 11:45 AM

Swagernator said:

How can you even hate him in the first place ? he's such a good character, not like those pussy-like villains we see hundreds of.

Probably cause i hate mad scientist in anime but Bondad is an exception
When he first appear he seem like every generic mad scientist so that why at first i didn't like him cause i thought he gonna be another generic mad scientist but he is a true man of science ( i glad i was wrong )
Because we're stupid that we love to have fun

Nov 12, 2017 11:48 AM

Simoun from gurren lagann- He started of as a beta and becomes alpha later on.
Homura from madoka- She is edgy af though its justified later.
Valentine from jojo part 7- cant explain since spoiler territory
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017

Nov 12, 2017 11:56 AM

More often it's the other way around.
But maybe Naruto. He is better in Shippuuden. Probably has to do with his outfit black definitely suits orange and yellow better :D

OTP: Kid x Law | Katsuki x Izuku | Erwin x Levi | Hide x Kaneki | Sanada x Yukimura | Guren x Shinya | See more!

» My doujinshi collection
» Favorite Boku no Hero Academia doujinshi

Nov 12, 2017 12:00 PM
sorry to butt in but is there reverse thread to this one? because I started liking, let's Lelouch, but with time I've grown to hate him.

Nov 12, 2017 12:02 PM

commander31able said:
sorry to butt in but is there reverse thread to this one? because I started liking, let's Lelouch, but with time I've grown to hate him.

I will leave the creation of that thread in your hands young one! :D

Nov 12, 2017 12:05 PM

Asuka (Eva), who at first just seemed to be needlessly nasty to everyone, but became sympathetic once I heard her backstory and understood why she was like that.

Nov 12, 2017 12:06 PM

From the Monogatari Series, Nadeko and Best Girl Kaiki come to mind.
Bakugou from Hero no Aca, 'cause I hate nasty brats, but it turned out well.
Pretty much the whole cast of Nagi no Asukara, started out annoying, but I'm too into that love pentagram now.

Also, there's a case of Hajime Ichinose from Gatchaman CROWDS, whom I thought I was going to hate from the moment she appeared, and she later turned out to be one of my fav characters in anime.

Nov 12, 2017 12:11 PM

The big one for me was Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho, I found him kind of annoying and arrogant and was hoping he'd fade out into the background, but the more he developed the more I found myself liking him, not only is he my favourite character from Yu Yu Hakusho hes now one of my favourite characters overall.

I also didn't like Jean from Attack on Titan during the first few episodes but now he to is one of my favourite characters. Same thing with Tenya from BnHA.

Nov 12, 2017 12:12 PM

Gon freecs from hxh.

He was a bit annoying at the start but he changed a lot after some episodes. He is actually a nice character.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Nov 12, 2017 12:16 PM

S-quare22 said:
Gon freecs from hxh.

He was a bit annoying at the start but he changed a lot after some episodes. He is actually a nice character.

Gon started like a standard shounen lead early on, until the chimera ant arc where he became one of the most compelling and interesting main characters in contemporary action anime in my opinion.

You knew something was of with him to begin with and watching that take form and blosssom was incredible.

Nov 12, 2017 12:21 PM
I'd have to say Julius from ReZero. I thought he was just a pretentious knight in the beginning. But seeing him get more screen time later on and learning about his actual motivations changed things.

Nov 12, 2017 12:32 PM

Miyazono kaori , i hated her at first but now she is my all time favorite :d

Nov 12, 2017 12:36 PM

Ericonator said:
Eva Heinemann from Monster comes to mind. When she first showed up in the series I didn't like her, but when they started developing her she became one of the better characters in the series.

^Oh boy, I'm starting to like you more and more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nov 12, 2017 12:40 PM

Okabe Rintaro, found his chunibyo to be annoying and unnecessary at first but his personality changed with the plot and I later learned that he had a good reason for being chunibyo.

Nov 12, 2017 1:21 PM

Taichi Mashima being such a snotty little shit when he was a kid is part of what makes him such an understated badass when he's older, but he was still a little shit for a while.

Nov 12, 2017 1:28 PM

Uchiha Itachi comes to mind whenever I hear a discussion like this (IRL) but at the time of watching the series... it looked and felt more like an asspull (to me personally).

We can only have good tea
while we're living.

Nov 12, 2017 1:33 PM

idk if i'd go so far as to say i Like him but i started out thinking kiritsugu was gonna be an asshole based on what little i saw about him/fate/zero in general but post-watching i guess i just. sorta pity him ?

kotomine can choke tho.

Nov 12, 2017 1:40 PM

Though I didn't hate her at first, I found Nadeko the most boring heroine of Bakemonogatari. She was a character whose only traits were being cute, shy and nice and very little more. Her opening was catchy, but she was pretty underhwelming.
Then I genuinely hated her when her character was fleshed out in the Second Season

Then, after finishing SS and rewatching her arc, I realized how good she was as a character and how well the series went to portray her as a victim to
, and I started to like her for how well written she is, and I even

Her brief appearence in Owari 2 (with how she developed compared to SS), put her in a better place in my eyes.

Nov 12, 2017 1:43 PM

Dis meido. At first I thought she was some sort of feminazi, but then I found out the boys deserved it.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.

Nov 12, 2017 1:44 PM

Shinji Ikari, he was the very definition of beta. When watching him i was either bored or groaning. At the end tho, while i still dont like watching him, i can at least understand why he's like that, i was even happy for him at the end of the original NGE.
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Nov 12, 2017 1:50 PM

Nui Harime from Kill la Kill(?) I dunno, I never really paid much mind to her, but her clothing style was pretty alright.

"Achieve not with the squad, but by yourself." - Urie

Nov 12, 2017 2:56 PM

Noragami and Durarara. Now I really both series a lot. Go Yato and Izaya^^

Nov 12, 2017 3:00 PM

I hate Izaya and I continue to hate Izaya. Literally the worst anime character in existence. Zero redemption for him. Ugh.
I gained a little more respect for Shizuo as the series went on, but I still think he is overrated and bland.

maybe i sold my soul
mortality takes its toll

Nov 12, 2017 3:02 PM

Itsuka Orga of Iron Blooded Orphans I guess. 2nd season just hits home how important and how crucial he is in my experience of the story.

Nov 12, 2017 3:16 PM

Fukiko from Oniisama e. At first I didn't like her because the reasons for her actions weren't explained until later on in the show, but by the end she was one of my favourite characters. Oniisama e has some of the best characterisation I've seen.

Nov 12, 2017 3:18 PM

I rarely dislike a character, and if I do, it's rare for me to to like them afterwards.

Nov 12, 2017 3:40 PM

Itachi Uchiha from Naruto is the one that just popped up in my head immediately. If you keep watching Naruto you'll get what I mean by that.

Nov 12, 2017 5:15 PM

Nope.
I've hated plenty of poorly written characters, but said characters were never made into better characters so I never stopped hating them. Just as there are plenty of characters that are complete and total cunts that I liked as characters despite their antagonistic presence.

Nov 12, 2017 5:24 PM

I've yet to encounter an anime that gives me this type of experience.

Nov 12, 2017 5:25 PM

I hated Eikichi Onizuka at first, but by the end of the series he became one of my favorite male anime characters.

Nov 12, 2017 5:46 PM

Hmmm. I'm going to change the rules for this a little bit and say Hei from Darker than Black season two. I don't know if i'd say it was hate exactly, but i was quite disappointed in how he was in the beginning of season two, considering how badass he was in the first season.
What's your rush now? Everyone will have his day to die.

Nov 12, 2017 6:14 PM

- One of the Best Antagonist for me.
Signature is too good to show. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 12, 2017 6:31 PM

Not exactly "hated", but most of the students who were dicks to Onizuka in GTO pissed me off with their motives, but as they joined his side they turned into more likeable people,

Nov 12, 2017 6:40 PM
君を笑いに来た

Nov 12, 2017 6:47 PM

Satoshi Batista from Michiko n Hatchin. I think he was one of the few characters who was actually developed well.

Nov 12, 2017 9:54 PM

Shimizu Megumi from Shiki was annoying in her first scene and continued being that until
After that I started pitying her because I thought she didn't deserve it.

Nov 12, 2017 11:25 PM

I don't hate Emilia nor will ever resent her for being the main gril of the series... Other than that, I dunno typical once I feel [insert x kind of feeling] to a certain character, it doesn't change extremely just because of [x insert scene when she lose].

Pages (2) [1] 2 »