Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 10, 2017 5:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, this episode was painful to watch. A young girl being mistreated and disrespected by the others. She couldn't even eat a proper meal while having to observe from afar while others ate.

It's too bad one of the guys that began treating her better didn't even survive. What a cruel world.

Felt like a bit different compared to other episodes but quite emotional in terms of storytelling.
Stark700Nov 10, 2017 9:39 AM
Nov 10, 2017 8:46 AM

Dec 2014
The brat saved the poor girl. It's good she hesitated to say the plants were poisonous.
Becoming a proper man after beating to death a slave..yeah that's one country that should have disappeared after all; not that the country she came from was any better.

It's good that she wasn't left alone, that high spirit motorrad was probably the best company she could have hoped for.
Nov 10, 2017 9:02 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
All of those fucking slave owners were pieces of shit (Especially the kids) so I was glad that they all fucking died and quite frankly they deserved it

Slavery is wrong no matter how you put it and seeing how they treated Phone and just their overall mindset and character disgusted me to no end....That poor girl didn't deserve any of that

For a second I thought that she was going to end up being Kino and that this was some secret backstory for her (I watched the original so I know about the other thing but this kinda had me thinking what if) but I'm glad that she wasn't since we can now see and support another interesting character (And I got my wish of seeing another Motorrad lol)

I'm slightly confused by the ending (Clearly it's been a few years since the start of Photo's story) because Kino found the same place that Photo came from with bodies layed out the same way it did in Photo's story.....Either way, I'm really happy for her since she found happiness and acceptance

So now I'm wondering whether or not the scene with Kino and Photo's ending scene happened in real time or if Kino's is in the past and what we saw with Phone was a future that hasn't happened in real time yet

Regardless, this was another great episode and I'm looking forward to seeing what other stories that we get
TokoyaNov 10, 2017 9:07 AM
Nov 10, 2017 9:27 AM

Dec 2014
Tokoya said:
All of those fucking slave owners were pieces of shit (Especially the kids) so I was glad that they all fucking died and quite frankly they deserved it

Slavery is wrong no matter how you put it and seeing how they treated Phone and just their overall mindset and character disgusted me to no end....That poor girl didn't deserve any of that

For a second I thought that she was going to end up being Kino and that this was some secret backstory for her (I watched the original so I know about the other thing but this kinda had me thinking what if) but I'm glad that she wasn't since we can now see and support another interesting character (And I got my wish of seeing another Motorrad lol)

I'm slightly confused by the ending (Clearly it's been a few years since the start of Photo's story) because Kino found the same place that Photo came from with bodies layed out the same way it did in Photo's story.....Either way, I'm really happy for her since she found happiness and acceptance

So now I'm wondering whether or not the scene with Kino and Photo's ending scene happened in real time or if Kino's is in the past and what we saw with Phone was a future that hasn't happened in real time yet

Regardless, this was another great episode and I'm looking forward to seeing what other stories that we get

Second all of this, I really love this episode and I took a real liking to Photo this episode. I loved it when she said that she would still continue to believe in the goodness of humanity.
Just like you, somewhere in the middle, I thought that this was actually a flashback for Kino's origins since I haven't seen the original but looks like that isn't the case.

Anyway, the final scene with a smiling Photo made me very happy. :)
Nov 10, 2017 9:31 AM

Jun 2015
Those were terrible people for keeping her as a slave. That kid was the worst one. He wanted to do the worst things to her. All of them deserved to die. The guy killed himself right in front of her. The way they were treating her was disgusting. She didn't deserved to be treat like that. She tried to tell them it was poisonous, but they wouldn't listen to her. Got to see another motorrad. The girl is later named Photo because she became a photographer. I'm glad she's living a happy life.
Nov 10, 2017 9:34 AM

Jul 2012
That was dark, as bad as it sounds they deserved it. The guard seemed not the really bad guy from the beginning, just in the bad/wrong company and time.
But that was a really nice ending, Photo seems really happy now and we'll see her and Sou later i assume?!
Nov 10, 2017 9:55 AM

Feb 2013
I was really happy when I saw those bastards suffer and die.
Nov 10, 2017 10:32 AM
Jul 2015
What a shitty country. I definetely thought Kino was gonna roll through at some point and save her but I like this way better. Glad they all died, bastards.
Nov 10, 2017 10:38 AM

Jan 2010

I'm not much of a fan of suffering stories, or at least for ones that are either purely suffering or involve characters that haven't had or aren't subject to much characterization. I've heard the comparison to throwing a cinderblock out of a moving truck, which is somewhat apt. Sure, the cinderblock gets destroyed, but it's difficult to feel sympathy for it.

I like Kino's Journey diving into the stories of different characters like this, but with the limit of 13 episodes, this episode did feel somewhat clumsily handled with most of the episode dedicated to giving Photo hell. Perhaps a better way to have delivered this story was to limit the amount of explanations on Photo's philosophy and the subsequent evilness of the merchants. As is, the episode doubles up on explaining why Photo's worldview is incorrect, then visually demonstrates that to prove the point a second time. Another solution is if the intent was to have Photo become a reoccurring character, then it might have also been better to introduce her current self first so the viewers can begin to know her before learning about her past, but then again, I'm not sure how to fit all that into a single episode, much less two.

That aside, the episode felt like a morbid joke, where it's the merchants literally getting their just desserts, and how the concept of luck while traveling, which granted is important to the series, played into letting Photo survive the ordeal. Simple stories aren't particularly foreign to Kino's Journey, and they often make for great short stories as demonstrated by the previous episode, but by trying to expand it to a full length episode, it really stretches any morals and lessons thin. I'm not sure if we'll get more of Photo, but implementing more of her is going to be tough. By trying to characterize her too much, it places too much importance on the traveler than the actual country and people being visited. By not characterizing her, the back story given really isn't much to work with as is, and it would feel almost wasted to not try and capitalize on her past philosophies and experiences. I'm not too sure what to do in that regard.

I will say though, the last lines between Kino and Hermes was the highlight of the episode for me.

Kino: "It's not a sight I enjoy seeing."
Hermes: "Close your eyes then?"

Kino, who is out to explore the world, understandably doesn't like to become a witness to tragedies, especially while trying to uphold the mantra of the world being beautiful, despite all of its ugliness. Hermes' retort was quite sharp in that regard, where turning a blind eye to such things would mean shutting out the world which Kino attempts to uphold, as well as questioning one of the core reasons as to how Kino justifies traveling in spite of tragedies such as these. It was only a few lines, but they were really well set up and executed, right down to that ending pause for which highlighted Kino's lack of a proper answer.
Nov 10, 2017 10:40 AM

Dec 2011
Tokoya said:

Yep, it's real time (well not exactly), but in the novels Kino did mention that she got there only a few hours late to save these people. So... if Kino was there a day earlier, who would she choose? The slave or the merchant family (if she revealed the grass was poisonous, they'd be saved and the girl would remain a slave)? Or since Photo's luck points seems to be higher than Kino's, would she kick the bucket along with this family? XD
Nov 10, 2017 10:52 AM
Jul 2018
Best episode imo
while kino barely present this episode still show Kino no Tabi at it best

this episode remind me of episode 2 in original series too
Nov 10, 2017 11:25 AM

Nov 2014
Wow, the karma...

Unexpectedly gut-wrenching episode.

Thank goodness for the happy conclusion.

5/5
Nov 10, 2017 11:41 AM

Sep 2017
I'm not a fan of the whole "turn the other cheek" mentality. However, this was a beautiful episode, even without Kino present. Photo managed to survive thanks to her luck, and I think that the other guy decided to shoot himself to prevent her from wasting the chance that destiny provided. And in the end, it payed out it seems. Also, the last lines between Kino and Hermes say so much with so little. I'll be looking forward to the next episode, as usual.
Nov 10, 2017 12:24 PM

Jul 2014
This was an interesting story at all, but it feels weird that Kino had virtually no role whatsoever, with the focus entirely being on this "Photo" person; is she going to be relevant at any other point, or is this the only time we're likely to see her?
Nov 10, 2017 1:02 PM
Jan 2011
Wow. With the exception of the old guy who seemed neutral we got some nice polarization this episode. Even the kid was a jackass. And to maximize the pity towards the girl they even gave her Rem's voice. I wonder how many rabid Rem worshipers took the bait.
Nov 10, 2017 1:15 PM

Aug 2014
What a sad episode :( i loved the ending specially that scream because it sent terror into their bodies before the death which made their death scene even more satisfying, great episode <3
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Nov 10, 2017 1:23 PM

Oct 2015
I NEED to see more of Photo!!! This episode was beautiful and can be watched by anyone without any background information whatsoever about the series. It's phenomenal, made me care this much for a character that was just introduced, definitely one of my top episodes of the year!
Nov 10, 2017 1:24 PM
Mar 2016
to be honest my heart too pure for watching this episode (lol, joke)
my heart fill hatred(to garbage family) and sadness (to photo)
until they show how photo life now
and suddenly happiness tears appear
NdanHMNov 10, 2017 1:31 PM
Nov 10, 2017 1:34 PM

Aug 2013
Karma is a serious bitch. Nuff said.
Don't believe the hype.
Nov 10, 2017 1:52 PM
Jul 2017
Her smile at the end was priceless. Glad she found a reason to live.
Nov 10, 2017 1:52 PM

Aug 2013
Great episode. The best so far. Hope we see more of Photo.

Nov 10, 2017 2:03 PM

Apr 2017
Being a slave is never been so easy. I kinda felt bad for the chained girl, she must have mistreated by other people. The next scene was the food contained poison from herbs, all of the people died after eating it. She fell into hopelessness and trying to kill herself but the other guy decided not to end her life and telling her to live instead. She met the speaking motorrad and it helped her to become a true human. She was given a name called "Photo" and she's now a photographer. Our Kino had no much appearances in this episode. It wasn't bad at all.
Nov 10, 2017 2:30 PM

Nov 2017
This series continues to amaze me, this is absolutely a 10/10 for now. The episode was really really painful to watch, but that's part of the game; love it.
Nov 10, 2017 3:19 PM

Mar 2014
This was nice.
I don't really see much of the "suffering" people are talking about. It didn't had any shock factor to make you feel pity for Photo or anything. They just showed her conditions as a slave.
Her characterization was basically made with those dialogues and monologues. It wasn't perfect, but it was decent enough for me to care.
The dialogues also reminded me of the old Kino anime, where they would mention something at the start of the episode just to use it again at the end.
Overall I was very satisfied by the end of it.
Nov 10, 2017 3:39 PM

Nov 2017
EdHaku said:
This was nice.
I don't really see much of the "suffering" people are talking about. It didn't had any shock factor to make you feel pity for Photo or anything. They just showed her conditions as a slave.
Her characterization was basically made with those dialogues and monologues. It wasn't perfect, but it was decent enough for me to care.
The dialogues also reminded me of the old Kino anime, where they would mention something at the start of the episode just to use it again at the end.
Overall I was very satisfied by the end of it.

I think everyone (myself included) is talking about that slave conditions you mentioned too. I mean, we are all aware (I hope so) of the conditions in which slaves "lived", that's good enough to say it was "painful"; even if we are prepared to see something like that, that is never good to look at. Anyway, maybe it was the horrible behaviour of the people more than her condition itself that made more of an impact
Nov 10, 2017 3:43 PM
Aug 2014
Hah, die muthafuckas.
Nov 10, 2017 4:06 PM

Nov 2014
This episode didn't do anything for me. Sure they were horrors and she was a poor conflicted slave but I don't understand the point of having such a Kino-lite story.
Nov 10, 2017 4:07 PM

Nov 2012
For a second there I thought perhaps the animes had a different origins for Kino, anyways imo it was the best episode of this anime. Was really compelling.
Jaywalker.
Nov 10, 2017 4:31 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Never hate, always see the good. Photo was taught that, yet she got sold off as a slave. Then she straight up abused by these self-centered people who don't even know that the herbs over there are poisonous cause they are on their high horses.

I don't blame her one bit that she thought of letting them die even though she basically turned on the philosophy she was taught. That little brat kid ended up doing something good without knowing by knocking her food off, good on you, shame you're dead now :P

I'm glad that Photo is able to live a happy life now, her Motorrad taught her a new philosophy (in order to die, you live first). That ''newborn'' line was fantastic.
Nov 10, 2017 4:32 PM

Nov 2016
A little trivia, if you search "in/amidst the cloud -blinder a.b-" in the novel, it'll lead you to Kino's side of the story (pretty much just her finding the corpse). Photo's side of the story is actualy called "Before the cloud -Eye Opener-" while the scene during the ED sequence is from "Photo's Day to Day -The Beutiful Moment-" (basically what hapened after she's freed and how she became a photographer).

And yes, Photo and Sou are reccuring characters in the novel like Shizu's group and a certain duo.
ShinraroNov 10, 2017 6:11 PM
Nov 10, 2017 4:58 PM

Nov 2015
This is the best episode so far, and it only pales in comparison to Shoujo Shumatsuu Ryouko in terms of this week's episodes.
Nov 10, 2017 5:00 PM

May 2015
Well, those people got what they deserved.

Didn't expect an episode to focus on someone other than Kino, but I loved it, especially that ending.

Nov 10, 2017 5:52 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Shocked said:
many interesting things that are cut for brevity

Loved your analysis of this episode. I've come to expect that from you though, @Shocked. It would be great to watch anime like this together with someone like you and discuss it in person, but I guess I'll have to stick to the forum. ^_^

I hadn't thought that much about the last lines between Kino and Hermes, but yes, it was much deeper than it seemed. I agree that it would be tough to introduce Photo as a recurring character, and episodes like this do stretch the theme and morals pretty thin, but I still enjoy watching them. When they're packaged together with appealing visuals and good acting, they make for nice bite-sized episodes that I can show to non-anime viewers to say, "This is one of the beauties of anime. Aren't you willing to become addicted too?"

One of the things I thought about throughout this episode was the overall theme of "The Beautiful World". That of course fits in with what you said about Kino and Hermes' conversation at the end, but even before then I think it is especially apparent in this episode in the juxtaposition between young Photo's view of the world and that of the traveling merchants who "own" her. It makes clearer Sigsawa's belief (or apparent belief) that "Despite (or perhaps including) all the cruelty and ugliness and sadness, the world is full of beauty if you look for it." Every single episode has shown us that there is more than one way to look at each country and situation and story, perhaps most apparent in episodes 3 and 5-B (Bothersome Country and Country of Liars). It's not a theme or method unique to Kino no Tabi, but it's executed so well here that it really provides a shining example.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Nov 10, 2017 6:05 PM

Dec 2011
Atavistic said:
This was an interesting story at all, but it feels weird that Kino had virtually no role whatsoever, with the focus entirely being on this "Photo" person; is she going to be relevant at any other point, or is this the only time we're likely to see her?

Actually, Kino has a pretty important (albeit indirect) role. If she had been there a day earlier and warned them about the grass, Photo would probably still be a slave.

Shinraro said:
A little trivia, if you search "in/amidst the cloud -blinder a.b-" in the novel, it'll bring you a completely different story. Photo's story is actualy called "Before the cloud -Eye Opener-" while the scene during the ED sequence is from "Photo's Day to Day -The Beutiful Moment-" (basically what hapened after she's freed and how she became a photographer). I'm not sure why they do this, though the actual "in the cloud" story was probably impossible to adapt without breaking few broadcast regulation regulations.

And yes, Photo and Sou are reccuring characters in the novel like Shizu's group and a certain duo.

Hm? The -Blinder- story was pretty faithfully adapted in this episode. Which "in the cloud" story are you referring to (just curious)?
SaneSavantEllaNov 10, 2017 6:11 PM
Nov 10, 2017 6:18 PM

Nov 2016
SaneSavantElla said:
Atavistic said:

Actually, Kino has a pretty important (albeit indirect) role. If she had been there a day earlier and warned them about the grass, Photo would probably still be a slave.

Shinraro said:
A little trivia, if you search "in/amidst the cloud -blinder a.b-" in the novel, it'll bring you a completely different story. Photo's story is actualy called "Before the cloud -Eye Opener-" while the scene during the ED sequence is from "Photo's Day to Day -The Beutiful Moment-" (basically what hapened after she's freed and how she became a photographer). I'm not sure why they do this, though the actual "in the cloud" story was probably impossible to adapt without breaking few broadcast regulation regulations.

Hm? The -Blinder- story was pretty faithfully adapted in this episode. Which "in the cloud" story are you referring to (just curious)?

I misremember the story, I already edited my post. Sorry.
Nov 10, 2017 6:38 PM

Sep 2011
I can still remember the first time I installed this mod.

Nov 10, 2017 7:55 PM

Apr 2008
Next ep Preview:

Next episode will finally feature Master/Shishou!
Nov 10, 2017 8:19 PM

Oct 2012
Good riddance, those people don't deserve to live
Especially the parents, what kind of things that have they taught to their children to become evil like that?

I enjoyed this episode
But confused
Why they did that? Why introducing one episode character then didn't bother for the rest of the story?

Well Photo and Sou might have something in the future, I guess we'll have to wait
"Signature removed"
Nov 10, 2017 9:33 PM

Dec 2014
ok that was a great episode..quite a LOT OF FEELS THROUGH OUT
Nov 10, 2017 10:31 PM

May 2014
I really didn't like this ep so much. Photo is an interesting character and the lesson from the ep was clear, but I think the narrative wasn't the appropriated. Other eps show you all from a neutral perspective, so you can make your own conclusions, this follows the narrative of "EVIL people do EVIL thing because they are EVIL", almost as they would like to promove the suffering and victimization of Photo instead of an appropriate characterization. The same was for the Battle Royale ep, they don't match with the anime's narrative in general.
Nov 10, 2017 10:58 PM
Jul 2015
Man, they died too quick. The whole episode shoulda just been a torture scene. Poor brainwashed girl. Did that dude just bleed gasoline? This show likes to really deal in absolutes. Everything takes 1 single trait and nothing else. Still not sure how I feel about that, but still enjoying the show.
Nov 10, 2017 11:54 PM

Mar 2016
>Be me teenage slave girl.

>Taken by merchants whom I hope will demean my existence.
>We stop on a mountain for some grub, am forced to get herbs for the soup.
>I love being spit on, it really turns me on. And these people love to spit all over me. Hopefully someone throws a rock at me later.
>Oops I didn't know those herbs were poisonous, I better tell everyone so I can be gutted like a fish after dinner.
>Accidentally make a huge mistake when I wanted to enjoy being beat to death by the young boy, I killed him... and his whole family.
>I see a dying man who didn't demean me as much as the others, in resentment, I shoot him dead.
>Who's going to beat me now? I am very upset. If I don't get paddled soon I don't know what I'm going to do.
>Holy fucking shit a talking Mototard that teaches me philosophy and changed my life. themoreyouknow.png
>I'm a professional photographer now who has a sexual relationship with a Mototard.

I am, Photo chan.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Nov 11, 2017 1:15 AM

Jul 2015
Best episode yet.
Karma was strong in this one. I just hope we'll see more of Photo and Sou.

Nov 11, 2017 1:40 AM
Jun 2013
Nagito Komaeda is a motorrad now, yeah. And in an episode about luck (and other themes).

Great chapter, loved Photo's character and I'm expecting to see more of this new pair.
Nov 11, 2017 1:40 AM
Jun 2013
Nagito Komaeda is a Motorrad now, yeah. And in an episode about luck.

Great episode, loved Photo's character and I'm expecting to see more of this new pair.
Nov 11, 2017 1:55 AM

Mar 2013
Great Episode, Less Kino but still great whatsoever... The merchants family deserves to die (especially the brat and his parents), except for the old man who stays neutral until the end. Ain't Karma a bitch huh?

Also the Ending is pretty heartwarming. Glad to see Photo and Sou live a good life after that.
Nov 11, 2017 2:45 AM

Aug 2013
dude, that Photo back story alone can be a standalone anime plot..
awesome
Nov 11, 2017 4:57 AM

Jul 2015
Oh man, that hurt to watch but I'm so, so happy that Photo is having a good life now! I hope we see more of her, she's a cute cinnamon roll.
Nov 11, 2017 5:03 AM
Jul 2018
I honestly thought it was Kino who were a slave, guess it's not.

The scene where Photo become a photographer is quite in the future right? So does that mean Kino will meet the still-nameless Photo then?
Nov 11, 2017 8:36 AM
Nov 2016
Those merchants were a bunch of assholes.... Especially that kid.

Well, at least the girl became happy....
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

137 by milou1050 »»
Apr 14, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

255 by the_v1gor »»
Apr 13, 9:18 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

133 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 11, 12:52 PM

» Which one is better? 2003 or 2017?

SgtBateMan - Sep 13, 2021

9 by Videogamecoper »»
Dec 14, 2023 5:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.