Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 9, 2017 3:18 PM

Jun 2011
Cause I do.

And I mean anyone under 100 anime less than less than 18 years old.

EDIT:

Clarifying because I feel this is not an understood thing maybe?

I am older. I am feeling disconnected from younger people because I am not a younger person. I am feeling disconnected from newer fans because I have been a fan since I was a toddler. I have no idea what "gets people into anime" because I have ALWAYS been into anime. I have been a LIFE Otaku. There is a huge gay between me who is a lifestyle Otaku (seriously best I can describe it at this point) who cosplays on the daily and watches anime all the time as her normal TV and the person who just wants that anime to watch casually on Saturday. I don't relate well to normal people even. I can hardly talk to people who don't watch anime. Gosh and if you throw out video games just good luck kay? I mean what is there to talk about?

This isn't about elitism. This is about a sickness. But also just about in general I get frustrated and annoyed because I cannot communicate LITERALLY with normal folks. When I try to rec things it is usually based on connections only some weird person would make who is so obsessed with anime they are seeing things. And people who are under a certain amount of anime tend to be more restricted in their watching practices, less flexible.

I don't HATE new fans. It isn't like that at all. I actually love them fine. I would hate to be treated least to my face anyway, how I was as an Inuyasha fan or as a Misa cospalyer. Or someone who sqeed pretty hardcore for Gravitation.

I have tried talking to normal people... They saw just attack on Titan... and ummm it was really hard with all the anime refs I just happen to make in my daily speech. I just speak that way. And it is nerve wracking and no you wouldn't understand until you progress to a crazy I don't leave my house level.

This isn't just new anime vs anime fans issues- this is me as like NEET Otaku disabled autistic issues. kay. And I am trying to expresss this and reach out. for any sort of I guess "have you felt this way?"
Energetic-NovaNov 9, 2017 9:17 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 9, 2017 3:31 PM

Jun 2017
I hate pretentious anime fans that hold their age/completed list over everyone else.
ZionPulseNov 9, 2017 5:54 PM
I'm a shitposter for fun
Nov 9, 2017 3:38 PM
Jul 2018
i dont get frustrated, frustration gets me.

no seriously tho. fuck everyone with BNHA in favs
Nov 9, 2017 3:47 PM

Jul 2012
If people got frustrated with new fans there would never be any old fans.
Nov 9, 2017 4:11 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
Yeah but then I realize that I was just as cringe and awful when I was that young and knew nothing so it's hard to get deeply upset I suppose.

FruitlessJuice said:
no seriously tho. fuck everyone with BNHA in favs

I say the same thing about people with Naruto in their favs too. You're not alone.
Nov 9, 2017 4:13 PM

Jun 2017
woohoo I'm not new anime fan !

I don't know any of those new anime fan personally.
I do know casual watcher over 18 but only some are annoying (those I find annoying whether or not they talk about anime).

If it's about those who complain on the forum about things they think they know about anime.
I just ignore the threads so I'm not frustrated.

In what context are in contact with these fans ?

Nov 9, 2017 4:19 PM
Feb 2014
They should lurk before speaking. Otherwise, more anime fans the merrier.
Nov 9, 2017 4:23 PM

May 2015
People who think they're better than others, or that they are a "true" anime fan because they've watched more are worse.

Nov 9, 2017 4:49 PM

Dec 2012
No, why would you? Everyone was "new" to anime at some point, so there is no need to act all high and mighty. Doing so would only make you look quite pretentious.
"A man wishing to be unhappy finds many ways to prove his course."
- Hundred eyes
Nov 9, 2017 5:14 PM

Jul 2015
Can you be more specific as to why, aside from just spewing out insignificant numbers to dictate your frustration towards a specific group.

To answer your question, no I do not. Judging them according to your standard isn't a fair way to 'judge' another person. Also, that was me like 2 years ago (since I got into anime when I was like 17) therefore me personally, I have no right whatsoever to hate on someone according to your standard, since I was that person at one point.

โ™”
caught in the wonder
โ™”
Nov 9, 2017 5:20 PM

Jan 2009
what makes you frustrated about them? without new fans then there is no potential new profit for the anime industry anyway
Nov 9, 2017 5:41 PM

Apr 2014
Nah. Everyone starts somewhere and usually they are obnoxious when they first get into it. I like recommending good stuff so they can grow with the community and carry the flame after they’ve matured. I say be nice to the kiddies.
Nov 9, 2017 6:29 PM
Jul 2018
I would really like to know what exactly bothers you about them, because by the description you made i'm not really that far from those since i'm 19 and i barely watched around 30 series.
Nov 9, 2017 6:41 PM

Jun 2011
KaKtusKipiK said:
woohoo I'm not new anime fan !

I don't know any of those new anime fan personally.
I do know casual watcher over 18 but only some are annoying (those I find annoying whether or not they talk about anime).

If it's about those who complain on the forum about things they think they know about anime.
I just ignore the threads so I'm not frustrated.

In what context are in contact with these fans ?

Context? Normally they will say stuff about hating pre 2006 anime because well, of course, they were hardly in school at the time. lol. They often insult ME about my list and MY ratings because I don't like Mirai Nikki or Death Note enough for them. Anything less than 10/10 for these two is like total blasphemy. (I honestly don't dislike Death Note that much! I own the damn thing physically!)

I mean this is a generalization. This is the same type of fan who will say they "hate mehca" but love Code Geass. Or "pedo stuff in anime" but love "no game no life" or hate "fanservice" but usually has Food Wars rated pretty good.

I just find them annoying. And they are always under 200 anime if not under 100. And usually straight up still teenagers. They are really annoying to me. I mean, I am sure I am an annoying as fuck fan too because all I do is wax praises at Tadashi Hiramatsu and Osamu Dezaki but at least I know to look at my favorite anime and go "wow I seem to like a lot of anime these blokes worked on, maybe I should watch more anime these blokes worked on" instead of just going by studio or something. Which is also something newbies do... but that is less annoying because I didn't know not to do that for a LONG time. And I still catch myself cock sucking certain studios. XD

I hate generally how easily thrown around the word elitist is anymore. But if I am one oh well. At least I know what I am talking about when I talk about a "shinji archtype". These people do not. This isn't about having a big list or days watched necessarily but when I was younger I really did look up to the people older than me and knew more than me... and had lots of physical media. Because I guess in those days it really was the only way you would get to watch anything super special not available on TV.

I think this other thing is, I just got back from con, and I noticed just how much con life is different from 2004. Before the elders did make all the rules and did tend to rule everything... and now the teenagers tend to make all the rules and such. But you know what is silly? I feel like kinda jealous. Because I NEVER got to make the rules once. Either I was the grunt anime baby Otaku who gotta learn a thing or two and when you are older you can make the rules. Or I was an adult... who is now too old and is now an elitist fag in the eyes of the new generation who wants to make all the rules and say no touching and my cosplay is more important than humanity.

I just simply don't fit in no matter where I go. Not even at con.
Energetic-NovaNov 9, 2017 6:56 PM
Nov 9, 2017 7:07 PM

Jun 2011
SupremeEdgelord said:
I would really like to know what exactly bothers you about them, because by the description you made i'm not really that far from those since i'm 19 and i barely watched around 30 series.

It really is in this "not being able to relate" space... :(

I don't even understand what you are saying to me half the time. I am sorry. "I hate fanservice but I love anime" ???? What does that even mean? I rec like... Pokemon at that point. They get mad. This is what I don't understand. I think I am just like way on this end of Otaku deep end most newbies wouldn't get or understand and I have a hard time understanding what you are even seeing in certain things. Otaku tgo Otaku, I would understand you better. I see you watched Nadia: Secret of the Blue water. But if I tried so so hard to understand what about that series you loved and recced things based on it, I probably would just insult you. It hurts. I cannot communicate well at all. I find I am blowing up at people for this failure.

The people who have been enjoying my company most though are people who reached a higher number of anime though.... my anime nexus is based on anime after anime so intertwined and I can rec them in this network. And I do feel so passionate and firey but for many, it is just an anime. For me though it is all I watch.

Anyway, I hope for your own sake, you do something other than watch anime. Don't be like me. ;)

I guess I just hate being senpai probably more than anything.
Energetic-NovaNov 9, 2017 7:14 PM
Nov 9, 2017 7:49 PM

Jun 2017
no? why would I
everyone starts somewhere
have a nice day โค
Nov 9, 2017 8:44 PM

Nov 2014
No, everyone starts off somewhere.

Besides, anime isn't special, your taste in shows that are not anime are completely applicable to anime. I know many people who have watched really little anime, certainly less than 100. However they only watch a small handful of genres (anime or otherwise), but they are my go-to people to talk to about anime of that genre.

I couldn't be bothered about any anime watcher, new or old, if their preferences don't align with mine. Not that I dislike them, I don't see the point of either of us constantly contacting each other for opinion. Sure maybe we might occasionally find (or think we found) an anime where our tastes overlap and recommend it, but by and large we ignore each other.

Not sure why anyone bothers getting so worked up over other people.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 9, 2017 8:45 PM

Jun 2011
tohotty said:
no? why would I
everyone starts somewhere

Yeah, I just find it harder to talk to them. I am annoyed that I try to reach out to them and they just call me names. I donno. New fans are just more tsundere. just what I noticed. Which I guess means they need more love than anyone. It is just really hard for me to love them.
Nov 9, 2017 8:47 PM

Sep 2014
Why would I be frustrated with them, if anything they hold the higher ground than me because they have wasted less time watching cartoons than I have What am I gonna flex about? "Oh you only watched 23 animes, Nerd."
ElegadeNov 9, 2017 8:53 PM
Nov 9, 2017 8:54 PM

Jun 2011
BakaShinjiIkari said:
No, why would you? Everyone was "new" to anime at some point, so there is no need to act all high and mighty. Doing so would only make you look quite pretentious.

I donno, maybe because after a while you feel intensely lonely because there is nobody else on your level to talk to IRL?

And you notice that these people in particular are the most critical of you not the other way around?
Nov 9, 2017 8:55 PM

Jun 2011
Elegade said:
Why would I be frustrated with them, if anything they hold the higher ground than me because they have wasted less time watching cartoons than I have What am I gonna flex about? "Oh you only watched 23 animes, Nerd."

I think I am just more upset at "wow fucking elite fag" when I just correct them that I am Diacon bunny and just want to share... :/

How to become a bitter old anime fan 101. Or when I rec anime and have my recs get called pedo. :/

Sorry if I hate feeling like a dinosaur.
Nov 9, 2017 9:00 PM

Jun 2011
Coolspot said:
If people got frustrated with new fans there would never be any old fans.
People have always frustrated with new fans. They did when I was young. Everyone hated Inuyasha fans. Everyone hated how we squeed and bounced up and down and how annoying we were. People hated how we just screamed about the pockey game and thought that was the beez knees. And people actually really really hated Sailor Moon and didn't really know why it would be more popular than something like Captain Harlock which was "better". I mean for sure, Captain Harlock is great. But yeah Sailor Moon definitely way more popular.

And they hated how popular Ranma 1/2 was If anything, the old elite were WAY more hateful and less inviting than the someone like myself who is just feeling a bit.... disconnected and like new fans hate her.

And I was one of those Inuyasha 12 year olds who older people wanted to "put in their place". So I know. But still, I do feel I learned a lot from those people too. I actually admired a lot of what they had gone through to bring anime to the forefront of culture... and I have learned so much from people older than even me... but there is a reason so many leave about my age....
Nov 9, 2017 9:09 PM
Aug 2016
I understand some new anime fans will come off as obnoxious human beings just like High School students wanting "clout" and stuff like that.
Nov 9, 2017 9:40 PM

Jun 2011
Japonism said:
I understand some new anime fans will come off as obnoxious human beings just like High School students wanting "clout" and stuff like that.

yeah they just want to show off cosplays and want to be coolio.... I mean I don't know if I really cared about being cool... I wanted to know what other anime there were... early 00's was such a cusp of internet accessibility.

I am still pretty obnoxious myself. haha. Carl Horn was seriously the best person I talked to all convention and made me feel like I still had so much more to learn about anime. I felt my heart DOKI DOKI all around him. (he is editor for Darkhorse.) His vast knowledge dwarfs my own and he is so honorable to be around. I wish I could see him every single year.

PS. guess the way of being cool is the way that is frowned on these days- seeing lots of weird stuff nobody has heard of.
Energetic-NovaNov 9, 2017 9:55 PM
Nov 9, 2017 9:42 PM

Mar 2017
The only new fans I dislike are people who’ve watched who say that “_____ is the best anime out there” when they’ve seen just a couple anime. Unless you’ve seen a vast amount of anime, you have no right to say that. Plus, it’s totally subjective, so you can’t make that claim anyway (unless you state “in my opinion”).

Old fans can act this way too though.
Nov 9, 2017 9:47 PM

Mar 2017
Frustration is beyond me, Whether or not we agree doesn't matter. If someone dislikes my favorites, that's their problem. I am gonna keep living my life and keep moving forward. No time for this kind of pseudo drama

come, you sweet hour of death
Nov 9, 2017 10:01 PM

Jan 2010
Hmm not really.
Been watching anime all my life either but my anime list is as small as ever lol. Because I have preferences and is pretty picky. I generally only watch popular stuff because I find my taste to align with the majority so popular stuff is what I'll watch first.

Maybe you feel disconnected, then talk with people on the same level as you. I'm sure MAL have many of them.
Nov 9, 2017 10:08 PM

Jun 2011
Shicchi said:
Hmm not really.
Been watching anime all my life either but my anime list is as small as ever lol. Because I have preferences and is pretty picky. I generally only watch popular stuff because I find my taste to align with the majority so popular stuff is what I'll watch first.

Maybe you feel disconnected, then talk with people on the same level as you. I'm sure MAL have many of them.

I keep hoping, it is why I joined... lol.

I mean some people are fun to hang with on here like ecchiKing.
Nov 9, 2017 10:11 PM

Jun 2011
N30-R3TR0 said:
The only new fans I dislike are people who’ve watched who say that “_____ is the best anime out there” when they’ve seen just a couple anime. Unless you’ve seen a vast amount of anime, you have no right to say that. Plus, it’s totally subjective, so you can’t make that claim anyway (unless you state “in my opinion”).

Old fans can act this way too though.

I admit to sometimes feeling this way, but hey if Yuri on Ice can come along and rock my world, there is hope for most anyone.

I think I do generally like the way older anime look and feel. So Parasyte and Yuri on Ice definitely appealed to me. I have noticed the last couple of years a sort of reaching out by anime itself. There is a Bananafish Adaptation coming next year. I did love Doukyuusei (which had a pretty antiquated look). I absolutely love newer anime. But mostly those that throwback to stuff in style or feel.
Energetic-NovaNov 9, 2017 10:16 PM
Nov 9, 2017 10:15 PM

Nov 2011
Try finding other things to get into than just anime. Stick strictly to anime itll fuck you up.
Nov 9, 2017 10:26 PM
Teto

Sep 2017
Yeah sometimes even tough i'm under 18 i don't understand a few anime fans, they just go overboard sometimes. And i've watched minimum 500 animes but i didn't put all of them in mylist yet since i don't remember every single name.
Nov 9, 2017 10:26 PM

Feb 2015
And here we go again, another not-so-good bait but at least we have one... Right?

>new anime fans

Like... Really? Do you mean those who just enjoy "ecchi/fanservice" anime? Or those who had just finished Naruto?

Nico- said:

A new user that creates "Ecchi/fanservice" threads are always welcome~

This isn't about elitism. This is about a sickness. But also just about in general I get frustrated and annoyed because I cannot communicate LITERALLY with normal folks.

And how to solve it? By merely a single thread about it? I hope it goes well~~

I don't HATE new fans. It isn't like that at all. I actually love them fine. I would hate to be treated least to my face anyway, how I was as an Inuyasha fan or as a Misa cospalyer. Or someone who sqeed pretty hardcore for Gravitation.

Hate is a very strong word. But I guess the weight put on it is lost when you're doing it through the internet huh...

I have tried talking to normal people... They saw just attack on Titan

Ehhh... Is that a bad thing? I actually feel kinda happy since the one that talked to me online was someone who instead talk shit about me just finishing up Naruto, he at least made an effort about it... Like even though I know back in his head his like "ohhh God this newbie is just so shit"

Anyway I haven't seen AoT...

This isn't just new anime vs anime fans issues- this is me as like NEET Otaku disabled autistic issues. kay. And I am trying to expresss this and reach out. for any sort of I guess "have you felt this way?"

Have you ever thought of stopping? Like it'll probably go well... And with this thread...
_Ako_Nov 9, 2017 10:42 PM
Nov 9, 2017 10:38 PM

Jul 2016
I'm still in that territory as someone who's only been watching for 2 years. Wish I could magically make my completed list longer, but it'll take some time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 9, 2017 11:15 PM

Jun 2011
_Ako_ said:
And here we go again, another not-so-good bait but at least we have one... Right?

>new anime fans

Like... Really? Do you mean those who just enjoy "ecchi/fanservice" anime? Or those who had just finished Naruto?

Nico- said:

A new user that creates "Ecchi/fanservice" threads are always welcome~

This isn't about elitism. This is about a sickness. But also just about in general I get frustrated and annoyed because I cannot communicate LITERALLY with normal folks.

And how to solve it? By merely a single thread about it? I hope it goes well~~

Hate is a very strong word. But I guess the weight put on it is lost when you're doing it through the internet huh...

I have tried talking to normal people... They saw just attack on Titan

Ehhh... Is that a bad thing? I actually feel kinda happy since the one that talked to me online was someone who instead talk shit about me just finishing up Naruto, he at least made an effort about it... Like even though I know back in his head his like "ohhh God this newbie is just so shit"

Anyway I haven't seen AoT...

Have you ever thought of stopping? Like it'll probably go well... And with this thread...

I thought they were cool but I kept making references to stuff they didn't know about and I felt bad... See this is exactly what I am talking about.

I mean I watched way less anime this year than last year. All it did was make me want to talk about certian characters in creepy obsessive ways more. I think I just feel compelled to watch the stuff I have on DVD over and over.

I donno... this is prob post con depression... as always. I think knowing I will be alone for a whole other year makes me sad.
Energetic-NovaNov 9, 2017 11:19 PM
Nov 9, 2017 11:21 PM

Feb 2015
@Rotton-Girl

I thought they were cool but I kept making references to stuff they didn't know about and I felt bad... See this is exactly what I am talking about.

Isn't the AoT a big hint already? Or is it not enough? What reference are you talking about? It is also something I don't know?

I mean I watched way less anime this year than last year. All it did was make me want to talk about certian characters in creepy obsessive ways more.

I'm sure there has to be a way for this... MAL Series Board seems a good place... :/
Nov 9, 2017 11:32 PM
Jul 2018
If I were to go into all the details, this would take all night to type out. Simply put, I felt that since I was a child (growing up watching anime) I took to it in a more magical way than how your typical casual anime watcher would take to it. Anime has influenced me when I was younger in more ways than I can bat a ball at. I've taken on some of the characters personalities and identities actually, that's how serious this shit influenced me. I became proficient in the martial arts because of certain martial arts anime I was watching back then, like Ranma and DBZ. Anime gave me a colorful picture in my head that the real world could not produce. Like you OP, I have been a shut in and a NEET with a more sincere love from the heart toward anime than your average viewer today, but with age, I've begun to mellow out. It doesn't help that I am so much older now than all my childhood favorite characters. Age really bites sometimes, because I hardly feel the same magic I use to feel when viewing anime. Even though I do get some good vibes from it still.
Nov 9, 2017 11:37 PM

Jun 2011
rubylightning said:
If I were to go into all the details, this would take all night to type out. Simply put, I felt that since I was a child (growing up watching anime) I took to it in a more magical way than how your typical casual anime watcher would take to it. Anime has influenced me when I was younger in more ways than I can bat a ball at. I've taken on some of the characters personalities and identities actually, that's how serious this shit influenced me. I became proficient in the martial arts because of certain martial arts anime I was watching back then, like Ranma and DBZ. Anime gave me a colorful picture in my head that the real world could not produce. Like you OP, I have been a shut in and a NEET with a more sincere love from the heart toward anime than your average viewer today, but with age, I've begun to mellow out. It doesn't help that I am so much older now than all my childhood favorite characters. Age really bites sometimes, because I hardly feel the same magic I use to feel when viewing anime. Even though I do get some good vibes from it still.

Thank you. All I wanted was to not be all by myself tonight during post con depression. *hugs* I haven't left my apartment in a week and a half. I forgot to go to my therapis that I set up specifically because I knew I would need it...
Nov 10, 2017 2:41 AM

Jul 2013
New anime fans are trash, their taste will never be as good as my own.

โ•ฎ (. โ› แด— โ›.) โ•ญ

Nov 10, 2017 4:25 AM

Feb 2010
not at all, wish more people would watch anime
Nov 10, 2017 4:34 AM

Mar 2017
I'm not sure if I'm just reading incorrectly... but are you saying you have to watch over 100 anime to be older than 18? That's just bullshit. Some of us have lives/got into anime when we were older.

I've been into anime for almost two years now... I've only watched ALMOST 40 anime - now, I know I'm not an "old" fan but I for sure am not new or 18 years old.

CURRENT OTPS - Kaito Kid x Shinichi Kudou
CURRENT OBSESSION - Detective Conan
CURRENTLY PLAYING - Spyro | Crash Bandicoot
CURRENTLY LISTENING TO - WRLD: By Design
CURRENT HUSBAND - Kaitou Kid
Nov 10, 2017 4:46 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Well, I think I kinda know what you mean, but also know that even if you have someone who watched anime at the same rate as you, have the same amount of passion for anime as you, and so on they still might be difficult to talk to about anime. For example, I have a friend of which we're on the same wavelength, but we have really different opinions. We can still talk, but we'll actually have different anime references and everything.

I've noticed, though, that I don't always relate to newer anime fans as well. There's sometimes a disconnect. I tend to talk about things from the past a lot while my friends are often trying to find the next new thing to cosplay before everyone else does-- which is fine, but ahhh, feel left behind.

And the thing is, a lot of my friends got into anime around 2011-ish. They've almost always had it good. So much is available legally that I feel they kinda take it for granted. The internet was harder to navigate back in elementary school. If you wanted to watch anime, your parents better have had some money to buy some DVDs or else you were just going to have to watch what was on TV. And thank goodness for movie rental places since you could find anime, though rarely.
But now, people get in and out of things so quickly. People even complain that sites like crunchyroll has nothing to watch (!!).
http://www.crunchyroll.com/videos/anime/alpha?group=all THIS IS SO MUCH ANIME TO WATCH FOR FREE! If I had something like this as a child, I wouldn't have known what to do with myself!
But of course, if you have something like this from the start, it seems like it's not a lot.

I think what has made communication with my friends a little difficult is that they're not really open to exploring things that aren't popular UNLESS they touch really deeply into what they like. My friends are also not open to going back. I only get into anime I genuinely like, but because some of my friends' interests are so fleeting, it takes a revival or reboot to get them to consider taking another look at things. For example, I like Hetalia. I still read it. None of my friends do anymore. They don't want to even touch it no matter how much I promise that all the "not so great fans" have left the fandom and now it's just tame. It's kinda lonely, to the point where if it's a show with a buncha dudes and has a lot of female fans, I just don't even deal with the fandom of whatever it is anymore. It's not that those fandoms are bad, just that they might not last. It's just too lonely when you're the only one in your group that still likes it; everyone else is too... embarrassed (?) to associate with it again. But so much good content is coming out, and I want to share it with them. Nope; they're on other stuff.

I don't know if frustration would be the right way to handle them though. I usually just shrug it off and... came here. OTL I usually can't even get them to make a MAL account, to be honest. They're like... casual watchers but heavy cosplayers. I kinda gave up on giving recs. I find ways to hang with them in ways that don't have to focus on anime though or I just stay open myself but sometimes rant about stuff they don't know (lol). Like, we might go eat sushi then work on cosplays together. It's really bonding. Finding that middle ground is really nice. I don't know why folks are making fun of you though. Maybe just get a group of folks you're down with?;; I'm tired and might be reading this all wrong. I don't even know what I'm typing.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Nov 10, 2017 5:03 AM

Nov 2013
Well, even when I was a new fan I still had semi-good taste and my favorites were stuff like Steins;Gate, Baccano! and Clannad AS, even though over time I have found other stuff I enjoyed more.

I don't think I have any problem with new watchers or people with a small completed list. I get along well with people who have good taste so whether they are new or not doesn't matter to me.

Edit: And did you just blame anime for making you "autistic" lol or did I read that wrong..
BlareyNov 10, 2017 5:14 AM
Nov 10, 2017 5:20 AM

Apr 2014
It should go without saying, but anime fans will all have different gateway anime as the years pass by.
For what I'm assuming is a big chunk of us, gateway anime could be like Death Note, Code Geass, Lucky Star, Haruhi, etc. that aired around 2007. The generation after that could be Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online in 2012 and 2013. And the more current generation could be for One Punch Man and Erased in 2015 and 2016.
Only anime fans that survive their casual phase go on to enjoying anime from generations generally really outside of their own. And you'd be hard pressed to find any new anime fan today claiming a 90's anime was their gateway anime.
Nov 10, 2017 5:31 AM

May 2016
I don't give multiple fucks about someones taste in anime. If there are similarities in taste of anime, that's cool, but I like what I like and you like what you like.

I'm not a guy that's like: ''YOU BITCH-ASS MOTHERFUCKER, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS TYPE OF SHIT YOU'RE WATCHING, GO FUCK YOUR SELF!" Nah, i'm not like that and i'll never be like that.
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Nov 10, 2017 5:34 AM

Apr 2016
So basically OP is trying to tell us that we are inferior because we were not into anime ALWAYS, hmm, mkay.

Also...

See ? this is just ridiculous, everyone can without threat of a ban complain about other users, but when poor swage start to complaining about fujo the hell breaks. Talk about equality here. And if you can't stand heat of the forum don't get into it.
SwagernatorNov 10, 2017 5:38 AM
Nov 10, 2017 5:37 AM

Oct 2015
I get along with them just fine. I watch the anime they watch, I watch anime they don't and I am easy to converse with. I have fun talking with them. Some even look up to me like an upperclassman lol

๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ซ๐”ž ๐”ฑ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ๐” ๐”ฅ ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ,
๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ฑ๐”ฆ๐”ซ' ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ ๐”ด๐”ฆ๐”ฑ๐”ฅ ๐”ž๐”ฉ๐”ฉ ๐”ช๐”ถ ๐”ช๐”ฆ๐”ค๐”ฅ๐”ฑ

Nov 10, 2017 5:38 AM

May 2016
Swagernator said:
See ? this is just ridiculous, everyone can without threat of a ban complain about other users, but when poor swage start to complaining about fujo the hell breaks. Talk about equality here. And if you can't stand heat of the forum don't get into it.

I think people are low-key hating on you. You're probably too real for some people lmao
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Nov 10, 2017 7:09 AM

Jun 2011
Swiggy said:
Well, I think I kinda know what you mean, but also know that even if you have someone who watched anime at the same rate as you, have the same amount of passion for anime as you, and so on they still might be difficult to talk to about anime. For example, I have a friend of which we're on the same wavelength, but we have really different opinions. We can still talk, but we'll actually have different anime references and everything.

I've noticed, though, that I don't always relate to newer anime fans as well. There's sometimes a disconnect. I tend to talk about things from the past a lot while my friends are often trying to find the next new thing to cosplay before everyone else does-- which is fine, but ahhh, feel left behind.

And the thing is, a lot of my friends got into anime around 2011-ish. They've almost always had it good. So much is available legally that I feel they kinda take it for granted. The internet was harder to navigate back in elementary school. If you wanted to watch anime, your parents better have had some money to buy some DVDs or else you were just going to have to watch what was on TV. And thank goodness for movie rental places since you could find anime, though rarely.
But now, people get in and out of things so quickly. People even complain that sites like crunchyroll has nothing to watch (!!).
http://www.crunchyroll.com/videos/anime/alpha?group=all THIS IS SO MUCH ANIME TO WATCH FOR FREE! If I had something like this as a child, I wouldn't have known what to do with myself!
But of course, if you have something like this from the start, it seems like it's not a lot.

I think what has made communication with my friends a little difficult is that they're not really open to exploring things that aren't popular UNLESS they touch really deeply into what they like. My friends are also not open to going back. I only get into anime I genuinely like, but because some of my friends' interests are so fleeting, it takes a revival or reboot to get them to consider taking another look at things. For example, I like Hetalia. I still read it. None of my friends do anymore. They don't want to even touch it no matter how much I promise that all the "not so great fans" have left the fandom and now it's just tame. It's kinda lonely, to the point where if it's a show with a buncha dudes and has a lot of female fans, I just don't even deal with the fandom of whatever it is anymore. It's not that those fandoms are bad, just that they might not last. It's just too lonely when you're the only one in your group that still likes it; everyone else is too... embarrassed (?) to associate with it again. But so much good content is coming out, and I want to share it with them. Nope; they're on other stuff.

I don't know if frustration would be the right way to handle them though. I usually just shrug it off and... came here. OTL I usually can't even get them to make a MAL account, to be honest. They're like... casual watchers but heavy cosplayers. I kinda gave up on giving recs. I find ways to hang with them in ways that don't have to focus on anime though or I just stay open myself but sometimes rant about stuff they don't know (lol). Like, we might go eat sushi then work on cosplays together. It's really bonding. Finding that middle ground is really nice. I don't know why folks are making fun of you though. Maybe just get a group of folks you're down with?;; I'm tired and might be reading this all wrong. I don't even know what I'm typing.

YES YES YOU KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT THANK YOU. omg thank you. I have been so isolated in this feeling of like this island onto myself. I am trying to find new people trust me... it is just hard. I just come off weird. I take a while to get to really love I think? And the people who connected with me best were into anime before 2011. *in tune of American Pie* "the daaaayyyy Dezaaaaki died!"
And it can be all about when Geneon, ADV, Tokyopop went under. Crunchyroll rose. Gainax splitting up into really differing entities starting in 2007. Satoshi Kon and Osamu Dezaki. And rising in the end of 2011 with the new base on it's shoulders like a phoenix because #Tezuka.

But seriously, some of the people I have been around don't even understand my desires to make my own cosplay and think just because my make my own cosplay and value other people who make their own cospaly that I am judging them but like... they did kind of just buy theirs and I don't know why that is "worthy of praise" necessarily. Sure if they do a good make up job, I will praise their work. Make up is so hard. And something I dont really get down... but really these are people who think fanart is more important than official releases of anything.

And yeah- HETALIA IS GREAT and I actually haven't even seen a crazy fan in like several years. I have only seen really passionate people at con who really respect the flags they carry.... :( I own 2 seasons and a movie and they are good DVDs to have too because so many actors from funimation!

I noticed new fans care more about what the fandom is like than what the show is actually like...Like they are joining a religion of some kind.
Energetic-NovaNov 10, 2017 7:18 AM
Nov 10, 2017 7:23 AM

Jun 2015
I dont really pay attention to others' cartoon watching habits.

Nov 10, 2017 7:28 AM

Mar 2015
I rarely meet new anime fans, the only few that I have met seem to have big opinions on things when they don't really have anything to compare it to, like saying Attack on Titan is the best anime ever, after having only watched a few series. Honestly I get more frustrated with people who go against the grain just because it's popular, or call things bad just because it's of a genre they can't accept (lots of people are this way with Shonen).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 9 hours ago

13 by Spunkert »»
24 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

3 by DesuMaiden »»
31 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 6 hours ago

1 by KitsuFrost »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

21 by DesuMaiden »»
33 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.