Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 7, 2017 7:27 PM
Jan 2014
Recently one of my posts was edited by a mod to change the wording:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1678803&show=0#msg52852031

The term “fujo shit” was edited to be “fujo stuff”.

If “fujo shit” is offensive enough to be worth modding, that’s fine, just delete the post. When you change the wording of the post, you also change the meaning of the post. Suddenly I have a post attributed to my name that doesn’t reflect my intended meaning.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 7, 2017 9:33 PM

Oct 2014
Usually it goes unnoticed, I guess someone reported your post. Though the term fujo shit does violate the guidelines (point 2)

ed1 - oh well my second reply got deleted, though I knew it was coming since I wrote it as such to trigger people. On the bright side, I took a screenshot of it so no harm apart from Ako's post which is quoting nobody now. Heh.
IizyNov 9, 2017 1:45 AM
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov 7, 2017 11:00 PM
Jan 2014
I don't think either of you understood what I said in the OP. I'm gonna bold the part that's important for you.

ItsXolo said:
Recently one of my posts was edited by a mod to change the wording:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1678803&show=0#msg52852031

The term “fujo shit” was edited to be “fujo stuff”.

If “fujo shit” is offensive enough to be worth modding, that’s fine, just delete the post. When you change the wording of the post, you also change the meaning of the post. Suddenly I have a post attributed to my name that doesn’t reflect my intended meaning.

Hope this helps clarify things for you. (It won't, I'm sure)
Nov 7, 2017 11:02 PM

Jan 2013
Don't use bad words -> your posts will remain as they are.
Nov 7, 2017 11:20 PM
Jul 2018
wow the original wording wasn’t even something worth reporting tbh
Nov 7, 2017 11:34 PM
Jan 2014
It doesn't bother me at all that my post was deemed mod-worthy. It's their forum, and they're allowed to decided what kind of content and language is and isn't acceptable. That's fine. It's no problem at all.

The only part I take issue with is that the moderator is essentially putting words in my mouth and changing the meaning of my post, instead of just deleting it. It's not the fist time it's happened, either.
Nov 7, 2017 11:39 PM

Jan 2009
im really beginning to think there is some secret group out there reporting our assess to the mods lol #conspiracytheories
Nov 7, 2017 11:42 PM

Aug 2017
This is some spooky shit right here, guys.

ER, I MEAN

This is some spooky stuff right here, guys.
Nov 8, 2017 12:21 AM

Aug 2014
Yeah just don't post bait and you won't get your stuff edited/removed.
If you'd rather have it removed instead of edited, remove it yourself now.
Nov 8, 2017 12:39 AM
Jan 2014
Ardanaz said:

Can you define 'bait' for me?
Nov 8, 2017 12:49 AM

Aug 2014
ItsXolo said:
Ardanaz said:

Baiting emotional responses. A.k.a. trying to piss people off or provoking others.
It falls under trolling: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=516059#msg18240023
Nov 8, 2017 12:51 AM
Jan 2014
I wasn't intending to do either of those things, but whatever. That's not not what the topic is about anyway.
Nov 8, 2017 12:52 AM

Apr 2012
ItsXolo said:
I wasn't intending to do either of those things, but whatever. That's not not what the topic is about anyway.
actually it is, because you seem unable to process the rules
Nov 8, 2017 12:56 AM

Aug 2014
ItsXolo said:

That's exactly what this topic is about. Follow the rules and your posts don't get edited/removed.

It got edited to take the bait away. If you didn't intend to bait, why do you care that it got toned down?
Nov 8, 2017 1:25 AM
Jan 2014
Ardanaz said:
ItsXolo said:

That's exactly what this topic is about. Follow the rules and your posts don't get edited/removed.

It got edited to take the bait away. If you didn't intend to bait, why do you care that it got toned down?

I don't think expressing a very slight disdain for something that others might enjoy is "baiting". I care that it got "toned down" because the entire meaning of my post changes with the new wording, which may or may not still be something that I wanted to say.

If you make a post saying "I don't like magical girl shows", is that baiting? Some people do like magical girl shows.

EratiK said:
ItsXolo said:
actually it is, because you seem unable to process the rules

If that's what you think the topic is about then I don't think you read it. I stated pretty clearly that I don't care much that my post was modded, only that their method of modding isn't ideal.
Nov 8, 2017 2:31 AM

Aug 2014
ItsXolo said:
I don't think expressing a very slight disdain for something that others might enjoy is "baiting". I care that it got "toned down" because the entire meaning of my post changes with the new wording, which may or may not still be something that I wanted to say.

Nothing changed about your post. 'Shit' became 'stuff'. What's the difference? Your opinion hasn't changed, the message you're trying to get across is the same.

If you make a post saying "I don't like magical girl shows", is that baiting? Some people do like magical girl shows.

Why would that be baiting? If you said: "All magical girl shows are shit" it's kinda baitish, but it's not even that bad. Fujoshit is known bait in the anime community. The whole purpose of that word is to piss fujoshi off. You can play innocent if you want, but we both know your intentions were to insult fujoshi.
Nov 8, 2017 2:59 AM
Jan 2014
Ardanaz said:
ItsXolo said:

Nothing changed about your post. 'Shit' became 'stuff'. What's the difference? Your opinion hasn't changed, the message you're trying to get across is the same.

Why would that be baiting? If you said: "All magical girl shows are shit" it's kinda baitish, but it's not even that bad. Fujoshit is known bait in the anime community. The whole purpose of that word is to piss fujoshi off. You can play innocent if you want, but we both know your intentions were to insult fujoshi.

My intention was to correct the poster I was quoting while also simultaneously expressing a slight disdain for the genre in question. Not to "insult fujoshi".

I'm not here to dispute the fact that I was modded, but as long as we're on this subject, can I expect the mods to act the same way every time a LN/Harem/Ecchi show gets announced or mentioned and 50% of the comments are in the same vein as my "fujoshit" comment?
Nov 8, 2017 3:00 AM

Apr 2016
You will get used to it OP dont worry youre not the only one.

ItsXolo said:

Basically when you post image of a kitchen and user start to insulting you on your profile and start to wishing you death and bullet to the head, and then you get banned for a week. This is the definition.

spuukiebuugi said:
wow the original wording wasn’t even something worth reporting tbh

Haha that's so funny.
SwagernatorNov 8, 2017 3:09 AM
Nov 8, 2017 3:01 AM

Aug 2014
ItsXolo said:
My intention was to correct the poster I was quoting while also simultaneously expressing a slight disdain for the genre in question. Not to "insult fujoshi".

I'm not here to dispute the fact that I was modded, but as long as we're on this subject, can I expect the mods to act the same way every time a LN/Harem/Ecchi show gets announced or mentioned and 50% of the comments are in the same vein as my "fujoshit" comment?

Calling something shit isn't expressing a slight disdain, but w/e.

If someone baits ecchi fans, then yes. Feel free to report them.
Nov 8, 2017 3:05 AM

Sep 2017
TL;DR. Dont be sarcastic, racist, bigot, or troll. That's the lesson in mal. You have an option not to adhere in the rules but dont expect having no consequences.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 8, 2017 3:07 AM

Apr 2017
ya have 2 options:
Make your fuckin posts better or, make them so shit they don't even bother turning it into a respectable post so they just delete it entirely
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Nov 8, 2017 3:15 AM

Apr 2016
Also what a privilege to have your offensive post only edited, some of us get immediately banned, guess some users are different.

Ardanaz said:

Damn, but that's like 100x reports per day.
SwagernatorNov 8, 2017 3:20 AM
Nov 8, 2017 3:16 AM
Jan 2014
nymi said:
TL;DR. Dont be sarcastic, racist, bigot, or troll. That's the lesson in mal. You have an option not to adhere in the rules but dont expect having no consequences.

Did you happen to actually read even a single post I made in this topic before replying?
Nov 8, 2017 3:22 AM

Aug 2014
Swagernator said:
Also what a privilege to have your offensive post only edited, some of us get immediately banned, guess some users are different.

Ardanaz said:

Damn, but that's like 100x reports per day.

Some of us also post a liiiiitle bit worse or repeatedly ;)
Nov 8, 2017 4:46 AM

Mar 2016
Ardanaz said:
ItsXolo said:

This conversation escalated so quickly when in fact, OP just did not appreciate the mods toning down his post. I can relate to that because changing one word can change the entire meaning of someone's post and it is not a genuine reflection of their character. I think I'd rather have my post outright deleted than have it sifted through a PBS Kids filter and modified for a PG audience. That's not a genuine reflection of myself as a person and it's borderline disrespectful to some people.

All OP's asking is that the staff considers deleting the posts entirely instead of just editing them. The question could of been answered with a "yes" or "no". This fight could have been avoided.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 8, 2017 4:52 AM

Aug 2014
_Poochyena_ said:
This conversation escalated so quickly when in fact, OP just did not appreciate the mods toning down his post. I can relate to that because changing one word can change the entire meaning of someone's post and it is not a genuine reflection of their character. I think I'd rather have my post outright deleted than have it sifted through a PBS Kids filter and modified for a PG audience. That's not a genuine reflection of myself as a person and it's borderline disrespectful to some people.

All OP's asking is that the staff considers deleting the posts entirely instead of just editing them. The question could of been answered with a "yes" or "no". This fight could have been avoided.

All that changed was 'shit' to 'stuff'. The exact same meaning is conveyed. Editing a post to remove the bait is a nicer solution than outright removing it. I understand that editing can change how you're being reflected and all, but let's be real here. Nothing changed.

Instead of a simple 'yes' or 'no' (which wouldn't have been a proper answer anyways), I explained why his post got edited and how he can prevent it from happening again.
Nov 8, 2017 8:25 AM

Jun 2014
So basically, because OP isn't left-wing, he's being censored?

Yeah, I'm just not going to post on this forum anymore. I don't like right-wingers either, but I don't believe in "silencing" people, as that is a violation of rights.

MAL is NOT a safe space.

Nov 8, 2017 11:13 AM

Feb 2015
It was tonned down to a certain extent in which "stuff" is more general than "shit" I guess... You posted that to the Free News which I think falls under the impression that you want to bait specific audiences.

Ohh well, honestly, I'm sure it wasn't a a good bait anyway. I guess try harder? Be creative?

>Degenerates like you don't understand how deep the story in Free is. By diving into water, they're diving into their personality

Killed me on the spot. 10/10 would bait again....

Nov 8, 2017 2:48 PM

Sep 2012
Ardanaz said:
_Poochyena_ said:

All that changed was 'shit' to 'stuff'. The exact same meaning is conveyed.

It lost its offensive point tho.

Ardanaz said:
ItsXolo said:

Calling something shit isn't expressing a slight disdain, but w/e.

So I can report someone if he/she talks offensive about my waifu? FeelsGoodMan

OT: Tbh I think if someone triggers because of fujoshit he/she should quit internet asap. Since I love irony I have to point that out. The orginal word 婦女子(fujoshi/a woman) also can be written like 腐女子(fojoshi/rotten girl) so by that logic.....

Nov 8, 2017 2:59 PM

Jan 2013
sasalx said:
The orginal word 婦女子(fujoshi/a woman) also can be written like 腐女子(fojoshi/rotten girl)
Afaik, it's not like it 'can' be written like this, but it really is. Those two words are homophones and the second one, which derives from the first one, is meant to be a self-insult.
fuyukiNov 8, 2017 3:06 PM
Nov 8, 2017 6:08 PM

Sep 2012
fuyuki said:
sasalx said:
The orginal word 婦女子(fujoshi/a woman) also can be written like 腐女子(fojoshi/rotten girl)
Afaik, it's not like it 'can' be written like this, but it really is. Those two words are homophones and the second one, which derives from the first one, is meant to be a self-insult.

Japanese works really different when it comes to homophones and kanji stuff. The word fujoshi can bi written by different kanjis. That is why in many anime and manga people ask kanji version of the name to understand and be able to properly write it. So like you said in this case it is an insult. Idk why but like the word otaku fanbase accepted theto usage of insult while defining themself. Kinda funny so that is why I mentioned this to @Ardanaz but like I said that is none of my bussiness. I enjoy watching ironic moments more.
Nov 8, 2017 6:14 PM

Jan 2009
lol muh freedom of speech, what if MAL decides to automatically censor all words about profanity/insults and users bypassing that word censor will get banned immediately i wonder what will happen by then
Nov 8, 2017 6:47 PM

Feb 2015
isekai said:
lol muh freedom of speech, what if MAL decides to automatically censor all words about profanity/insults and users bypassing that word censor will get banned immediately i wonder what will happen by then

Don't give the mods any more ideas.
Nov 8, 2017 7:14 PM

Jan 2009
_Ako_ said:
isekai said:

Don't give the mods any more ideas.

word censor have been suggested in the past though, personally im fine with it since i can post without profanity and i got like 18K posts on another forum with word censor there too
degNov 8, 2017 7:21 PM
Nov 8, 2017 7:36 PM

Apr 2014
@ItsXolo @shqip
That's what you call #MALDoubleStandards #Whitenighting
Those people are aggressive that they can turn a forum to a battlefield.
MAL was too scared on them that they ban the poster who ignites their "warrior" within.
Haters always gonna hate.
Nov 8, 2017 10:33 PM

Aug 2014
sasalx said:
It lost its offensive point tho.

Yeah.... that was the point.

So I can report someone if he/she talks offensive about my waifu? FeelsGoodMan

Depends on how it's done. I think you've been on mal long enough to know the rules mate :P

OT: Tbh I think if someone triggers because of fujoshit he/she should quit internet asap. Since I love irony I have to point that out. The orginal word 婦女子(fujoshi/a woman) also can be written like 腐女子(fojoshi/rotten girl) so by that logic.....

I know the term fujoshi in itself is kinda an insult, but many girls who are into yaoi call themselves that even. It's kinda gray area, but fujoshit is just an insult nickname for them.

shqip said:
Wow, that's some heavy censoring going on here...
Just because someone disagreed with OP, then went on reporting him, it immediately got edited?
It's not even that much of an offensive word, and he/she/they could just ignore it.

Did you read the thread? Has nothing to do with agreeing/disagreeing with an OP.

isekai said:

Doubt that will ever happen. A lot of us like to swear too.
A nice example: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=365#msg44895

Rayzer said:
@ItsXolo @shqip
MAL was too scared on them that they ban the poster who ignites their "warrior" within.

Why do you have to make it into political crap? Don't really see the double standards. I've banned feminists before for baiting men.
You can see it as some kind of political thing or you can see it as an anime website having some rules. Your choice.
Nov 8, 2017 10:44 PM

Apr 2014
Ardanaz said:

Rayzer said:
@ItsXolo @shqip

Why do you have to make it into political crap? Don't really see the double standards. I've banned feminists before for baiting men.
You can see it as some kind of political thing or you can see it as an anime website having some rules. Your choice.
Is that true like 2-3 days ban and just after a few hours/not over one day?
Because the way I see it, the ruling for guys was almost automatic.
Nov 9, 2017 12:24 AM

Aug 2014
Rayzer said:

We don't see everything, so we can't deal with everything in the same amount of time. That's why reports are important.

Btw, that post was edited by Nexu like 20 hours after it was made. Doesn't seem very automatic to me.
Nov 9, 2017 12:40 AM
Jan 2014
can you just close this thread since only one person who's replied so far even understands what it's about?
Nov 9, 2017 12:45 AM

Aug 2014
ItsXolo said:
can you just close this thread since only one person who's replied so far even understands what it's about?

What have I not answered about your question?
I'll close it if you want, but I've answered your question :/

"Can mods please not edit my posts?"
No. We will continue to enforce site rules.
Nov 9, 2017 12:52 AM
Jan 2014
Ardanaz said:
ItsXolo said:

What have I not answered about your question?
I'll close it if you want, but I've answered your question :/

"Can mods please not edit my posts?"
No. We will continue to enforce site rules.

The second part of your response shows that you clearly do not actually understand the question in the first place. I don't really care that much anyway, so that's all there is. I'm not really interested in arguing anymore.
Nov 9, 2017 12:53 AM

Aug 2014
ItsXolo said:
The second part of your response shows that you clearly do not actually understand the question in the first place. I don't really care that much anyway, so that's all there is. I'm not really interested in arguing anymore.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Have a good one
Nov 9, 2017 1:44 AM
Jul 2018
ItsXolo said:

So what are you trying to say? Since you are the only one who is not making sense here.

You are asking why the mods are editing your post, the mods are replying and you are still asking the same question.

Just read the rules in MAL, and your life will be easy here.

And yes, you have right to dislike any show but you do not have the right to insult the fans. I hate Ecchi but I’ve never insulted the fans.
Nov 9, 2017 1:47 AM

Apr 2012
He was just saying he wanted moderation to delete rather than to edit.
Maybe he doesn't realise from the moment he violated the rules moderation can do as it wants.
I guess for discussion continuity's sake it makes sense to edit rather than delete.
But yeah, now he knows his posts will be altered maybe he'll refrain from posting ambiguous content.
Nov 9, 2017 1:54 AM

Aug 2014
EratiK said:
He was just saying he wanted moderation to delete rather than to edit.
Maybe he doesn't realise from the moment he violated the rules moderation can do as it wants.
I guess for discussion continuity's sake it makes sense to edit rather than delete.
But yeah, now he knows his posts will be altered maybe he'll refrain from posting ambiguous content.

Maybe, but I answered that too :/

Ardanaz said:
All that changed was 'shit' to 'stuff'. The exact same meaning is conveyed. Editing a post to remove the bait is a nicer solution than outright removing it. I understand that editing can change how you're being reflected and all, but let's be real here. Nothing changed.
Nov 9, 2017 2:16 AM

Apr 2014
Ardanaz said:
Rayzer said:

We don't see everything, so we can't deal with everything in the same amount of time. That's why reports are important.
Btw, that post was edited by Nexu like 20 hours after it was made. Doesn't seem very automatic to me.
Yeah and that's the problem here. If girls/"non binary" users bash our ecchi,harem etc., we don't care.
Even if the amount of their aggressiveness was equal to our rage on BL we don't care.
But if BL was been bash they go into furry and it escalates quickly. Then they will report it immediately.
This isn't just about this, It's all those got banned and warned too quickly.
And about Nexu, was it even reported or he just seen/read it by chance?
Nov 9, 2017 2:19 AM

Apr 2012
nobody should go into furry
Nov 9, 2017 2:23 AM

Aug 2014
Rayzer said:
Ardanaz said:

Yeah and that's the problem here. If girls/"non binary" users bash our ecchi,harem etc., we don't care.
Even if the amount of their aggressiveness was equal to our rage on BL we don't care.
But if BL was been bash they go into furry and it escalates quickly. Then they will report it immediately.

I understand what you mean, but if guys don't care, then why are you making this into a big deal now?
I'm all for equality and if I see girls mindlessly bashing ecchi fans and calling them disgusting, I remove/edit posts too. You just don't get to see removed posts, so it can look like we don't do shit about them.

We prefer to not mention whether something was reported or not. I don't know if it was or wasn't since I didn't deal with it, but it doesn't really matter much whether it was or wasn't. It still breaks the rules.
Nov 9, 2017 3:00 AM

Apr 2016
Ardanaz said:
I understand what you mean, but if guys don't care, then why are you making this into a big deal now?
I'm all for equality and if I see girls mindlessly bashing ecchi fans and calling them disgusting, I remove/edit posts too. You just don't get to see removed posts, so it can look like we don't do shit about them.

We prefer to not mention whether something was reported or not. I don't know if it was or wasn't since I didn't deal with it, but it doesn't really matter much whether it was or wasn't. It still breaks the rules.

That's not what i get when you banned me for that bullshit. Same goes for NoLifer.

Rayzer said:

As much as i don't want to agree with you for reasons, this is exactly the case of MAL forum, i as a prof can confirm all that.
SwagernatorNov 9, 2017 3:04 AM
Nov 9, 2017 3:07 AM
Jan 2014
Why is the thread still open?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» [Resolved] How to add gifs to profile

BigSponks - Dec 14, 2017

28 by ejleon »»
2 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3354 by Tensho »»
6 hours ago

» How to see percentage of anime you have watched

trueauracoral - Mar 30

9 by trueauracoral »»
Yesterday, 8:56 PM

» Forum discussion notifications not popping up in the mobile app.

Sammyy143 - Apr 13

13 by GeoSigma »»
Yesterday, 1:25 PM

» Reinstall the MAL app

ilias23 - Yesterday

0 by ilias23 »»
Yesterday, 12:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.