Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 7, 2017 2:13 AM

May 2013
After the first arc ended, I thought we had 2 of the most boring arcs in the SAO series so far, which was Alfheim Online and GGO. Mother's Rosario was okay due to the feels and the fantasy theme coming back but still it was missing something that made the first arc so fun to watch and see the characters grow.

It took me a while to actually watch this movie because I have completely lost interest in SAO since newer anime have came out. SAO was one of the first anime for me that got me hooked into this never ending world, so it's fair to say my tastes has somewhat improved at least a little since then.

I know there are a lot of weird points about the movie, like how the authorities downplay the accidents happening with OS and seem like there's nothing wrong, but above all from this movie you can get a satisfactory feel as you gear towards the end of the movie.

I personally thought they did a lot more rights than wrongs in this movie... You get to see some of your favourite characters again and you were able to see that the SAO incident still affects a lot of people even years after. You were able to watch bosses that wasn't in the first arc come to live in an amazing fashion, with a very well done animation. You get to see the gamers come together to defeat a common enemy, don't you see how satisfying that is when you see that in real life? You didn't have to wait weeks for an episode to come out. You actually somewhat feel for a character that was just introduced, and the added quote on the revisioned book was a nice touch

Do you see anything in common? Yes, they all come back to what made this anime huge, the first arc! It wasn't just some thought up crap like GGO and Alfheim to extend the anime, but this was more of an epilogue to the 2 years that has happened in SAO and everything afterwards, I don't know about you, but I would gladly say that it was a very satisfying epilogue indeed.
Nov 7, 2017 3:20 AM
Sep 2017
Well we have S03 on the way and that SAO spinoff, both of which im hyped for.

I personally enjoyed both S01+S02 of SAO and the movie was great too. The movie had a great soundtrack. Remember the bit when Silica Sings?
Nov 8, 2017 11:20 AM

May 2013
TomoyaOkazaki19 said:
Well we have S03 on the way and that SAO spinoff, both of which im hyped for.

I personally enjoyed both S01+S02 of SAO and the movie was great too. The movie had a great soundtrack. Remember the bit when Silica Sings?

Lol that was a funny moment but I was more impressed with how Asuna looked (surprise) and the animation in general. I don't read the LNs but upon seeing a 'hater' saying they liked the Alicization arc due to the dope storyline, I guess I am pretty hyped for it as well. Just hoping they get it completely right and stick with the awesome animations like the movie.
Nov 11, 2017 7:43 PM

Oct 2015
Really? I thought this was the 2nd worst addition to the franchise Next to Fairy Dance Arc. The fact the Eugeo was fucking useless despite him being a main character and all. By the way I don't hate SAO. It's plot was really shallow but the actions scenes were pretty good :>
Nov 11, 2017 7:52 PM

Feb 2015
Enjoyed how in the end Kirito-sama saves the day like how he should. I've like SAO from the start, so yeah...

Anyway I forgot the name of the dude that was a little bit too OP because Kirito-sama didn't took him seriously :/

Anyway, I'm happy that SAO S3 will be released too... Dunno how it will go though
Nov 11, 2017 8:21 PM

Apr 2017
_Ako_ said:
Enjoyed how in the end Kirito-sama saves the day like how he should. I've like SAO from the start, so yeah...

Anyway I forgot the name of the dude that was a little bit too OP because Kirito-sama didn't took him seriously :/

You mean Kayaba Akihiko? Never really understood that dude's motivations for making Aincrad or why he suddenly showed up to save Kirito in the 2nd arc, but it was a fun show anyways.

More importantly, they had better bring back this song, best part of the whole series

Nov 12, 2017 12:06 PM

May 2013
EGOIST said:
Really? I thought this was the 2nd worst addition to the franchise Next to Fairy Dance Arc. The fact the Eugeo was fucking useless despite him being a main character and all. By the way I don't hate SAO. It's plot was really shallow but the actions scenes were pretty good :>

Just happy we had a continuation from the first arc. Fairy Dance, GGO and Mother's Rosario felt like OVAS that could be skipped, not saying that they were terrible, mind you. After they got out of the game, they could've skipped to a few months later and continue to this movie, that's probably why I liked it, because it was an epilogue to the first arc.

I agree though, beautiful animations and all, the plot and villains could've been much better.
Nov 12, 2017 12:12 PM

Sep 2017
Yes SAO is a very good anime and this movie is also top tier.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 12, 2017 12:13 PM

May 2013
_Ako_ said:

Anyway, I'm happy that SAO S3 will be released too... Dunno how it will go though

Honestly it's what makes Kirito, Kirito... right? We go in the movie expecting some kind of Gary Stu action from him that can send chills down our spine. Asuna was mentioned to be more mellow by Eiji and that's trueeee. I miss when she was kind of a tsundere and more of a badass during SAO times, I guess we had a glimpse of that this movie.

As for S3, after reading a review from someone who hates the first 2 seasons, I'm actually expecting a lot. The dude said Kawahara stepped up his plot game for S3 arc, and so if paired with the beauty animations of this movie, it should be a blast to watch.
Nov 12, 2017 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
all that wall of text but u dont even mention the bath scene.

DISAPPOINTED.
Nov 14, 2017 5:27 AM

May 2013
FruitlessJuice said:

DISAPPOINTED.

What bath scene? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Nov 14, 2017 5:30 AM

Sep 2009
This actually lowered my opinion of SAO fans.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 14, 2017 5:34 AM

Apr 2013
I thought season 1 is a good show. Season 2 was a bit boring though, maybe just because of the whole guns setting though. This movie was not bad, albeit had some plot holes or rather a lot of them. But overall it was a nice watch. And so were Asuna's nipples
Nov 14, 2017 6:19 AM

Sep 2015
I'm not sure why, but I actually enjoyed it.

2011: "Oh, I like the 1st book. Maybe that's because I wasted a lot of time playing MMO games."
2012: "What the hell is this?"
2014: "A1, please stop."
2017: "The fact that I know most of the characters for 6 years makes me feel somewhat cozy and nostalgic."
Nov 14, 2017 6:25 AM
Jul 2018
Krasa said:
FruitlessJuice said:

DISAPPOINTED.

DSHAUDHAUSFHUASHFAHS WTF WERE YOU BLINDD?!!?!?!?!!?!11/1/1?!?!?

Nov 14, 2017 7:17 AM

May 2013
FruitlessJuice said:
Krasa said:

DSHAUDHAUSFHUASHFAHS WTF WERE YOU BLINDD?!!?!?!?!!?!11/1/1?!?!?

hahaha i was kidding

MortalMelancholy said:
This actually lowered my opinion of SAO fans.

sure
KrasaNov 14, 2017 7:21 AM
Nov 19, 2017 12:40 AM

Sep 2016
Tbh the best thing about this movie is the hope Something Witty Entertainment could, someday, make a huge abridged out of it.

It's not like it was horribly bad, but not once was it explained why

nor does the reason why

make even the slightest sense

Moreover, as a person who used convnets for about a year, using the buzzword Deep Learning just to handwave crap away triggered me to no end.
Yet these hands will never hold anything.
Thus I pray, Unlimited Waifu Works!

Nov 19, 2017 12:51 AM
Aug 2016
Ordinal Scale reminded that the lack of logic is a part of SAO's plot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 19, 2017 8:13 AM

Jul 2016
nerdokingoftrash said:
Tbh the best thing about this movie is the hope Something Witty Entertainment could, someday, make a huge abridged out of it.

It's not like it was horribly bad, but not once was it explained why

nor does the reason why

make even the slightest sense

Moreover, as a person who used convnets for about a year, using the buzzword Deep Learning just to handwave crap away triggered me to no end.
Who cares, it was fun to watch. Dark souls' story is seen as one of the greatest stories in videogames. And do we get anything about the story in the game? Hell no. people have to dig in the fk code to clear things up. So i dont really care about plot holes.
Nov 19, 2017 8:31 AM

Sep 2016
Gu1do said:
Who cares, it was fun to watch. Dark souls' story is seen as one of the greatest stories in videogames. And do we get anything about the story in the game? Hell no. people have to dig in the fk code to clear things up. So i dont really care about plot holes.

YMMV. It was fun _for you_. Plot holes over a certain size break my suspension of disbelief.

And it seems to me that you're conflating plot obfuscation and plot holes. Dark Souls has... I definitely wouldn't say one of the greatest, but definitely some very good backstory, it's just extremely obfuscated. Here there is no obfuscation, just handwaving stuff away "just because".
Yet these hands will never hold anything.
Thus I pray, Unlimited Waifu Works!

Nov 19, 2017 1:12 PM

Jul 2016
nerdokingoftrash said:
Gu1do said:

YMMV. It was fun _for you_. Plot holes over a certain size break my suspension of disbelief.

And it seems to me that you're conflating plot obfuscation and plot holes. Dark Souls has... I definitely wouldn't say one of the greatest, but definitely some very good backstory, it's just extremely obfuscated. Here there is no obfuscation, just handwaving stuff away "just because".
It indeed has some plot holes cant argue with that. But it didnt bother me that much and imo a lot of movies (and really good ones) have some big plot holes too and i dont really care.
Dec 15, 2017 5:05 PM

Jun 2017
I guess I do like sao again lol. I don’t know if I stopped liking it but I’ve forgotten about sao
Dec 16, 2017 7:35 AM
Dec 2017
Welp i though this movie was worst then the 2 previos season itch i like
yuna and asuna were the only really redeeming thing in dat movie
The story meh but was full of plot holes and shit like dat
Welp still a 7.75/10 for being enjoyable
Feb 9, 2018 2:48 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Krasa said:
FruitlessJuice said:

DISAPPOINTED.

I believe most people missed it but it didnt escape my eyes, even if it is a movie, not screening on TV, that had some balls by showing that side glance on Asuna's tits, I mean it is not like there was steam covering it, they really did show them good.
Nice fanservice there, but felt a bit out of place.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Movie: Ordinal Scale Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Stray - Feb 18, 2017

380 by CcCharles »»
Apr 6, 1:32 AM

» feel sorry for yuna

Nagiue - Dec 24, 2023

6 by ItzElite »»
Dec 24, 2023 3:01 PM

» plot hole

MCA5EY - Sep 21, 2018

10 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jul 30, 2023 9:40 AM

» Why R+ - Mild Nudity?

winfoharso - Mar 4, 2020

19 by Kirito_online »»
Aug 10, 2022 5:06 AM

» Somebody should fix the Source from Light novel to Original

KiraShitpostKage - Jul 20, 2020

1 by Nurguburu »»
Dec 4, 2020 11:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.