Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Chapter 85 Discussion

Nov 4, 2017 9:41 PM

THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Osaragi is a strange girl tbh, very observant of other people though.

No Kaguya appearance this chapter. Interesting. I do expect her to return soon but that was a rather insightful chapter without her.

Nov 5, 2017 1:24 AM

Hmm more of Ishigami's backstory. I think what happened is that the boyfriend either cheats or abused his girlfriend and Ishigami was trying to beat the crap out of him for not taking care of his girlfriend. Which is why he "stalked" the girl because he could be trying to tell her about the cheating thing, but don't have the courage to do so and fail to tell her everytime.

Good observation from Iino's friend though. Since we all know that Ishigami is not the type to get into trouble or bothered to do stalking.

Nov 5, 2017 1:58 AM

Didn't really like this chapter.

Meh.
''Without love, truth cannot be seen''

Nov 5, 2017 4:06 AM

kaguya is suppose to be a comedy... right .-. its suppose to be happy fun times
Grand Saber is a Saber Shiki wielding Excalibur and has Ayako Kawasumi's voice.
Grand Lancer is Shinji Pseudo-Servant of Odin using Gungnir.
Gand Rider is Sieg-Fafnir wielding the full power of the Greater Grail.
Grand Berserker is actually evil and is Mashuu alter taken over by the main villain Galahad.
Grand Assassin is a shared role, that belongs to Mata Hari and Charlotte Corday.
Grand Caster is Hakuno wielding Fourth magic and can summon Amaterasu.
Grand Archer is a Heracules from a Losbtelt where he destoryed his entire lostbelt.
The Twist with the grand servants is that half of them aren't actual heroic spirits while one is evil.

Nov 5, 2017 7:31 PM

oh damn it the uniform switcheroo is a total lie just to humiliate ishigami isnt it?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 6, 2017 1:23 AM

Chill chapter this time half about Iino and her friend Osagari, people abusing Iino's pureness,"bullies" =/ Another half for Ishigami's bacstory what's going to happen to him next?! Hayasaka <3

Nov 6, 2017 2:20 AM

build up to drama? this should be interesting!
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Nov 6, 2017 5:25 AM

so.. this is how Ishigami's ikemen version look like

and btw, how the heck Hayasaka did that? xD the nails and skirt

To-Do List:

• NOTHING

Nov 6, 2017 9:15 AM

Extremely high on exposition this time, very little humor. Letting Osaragi tell it in third-person summary helped to summarize the backstory in very little time, though it's violating the important "show, don't tell" rule. But I guess Asa-sensei felt that it would take too much time otherwise.

It's evident that we're getting serious character development between Ishigami and Iino, and I'm already looking forward to it quite a bit :) ... most of the "serious" chapters in the past were among the best. Looking forward to it!

Nov 6, 2017 1:10 PM
Maki's arms

Hayasaka is a delightful character every time she's on. So cool.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 7, 2017 7:10 AM

This manga really is amazing. If it were any other manga, I might have been skeptical about the foreshadowing but since it's this manga in particular, I think it's safe to be hyped up and expect something great. Some great development for Ishigami? I'd love to see that and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Mentar said:

It's evident that we're getting serious character development between Ishigami and Iino.

I can't be absolutely sure about this but it most certainly is what I'm hoping for. Maybe the two will get closer due to whatever happens during the sports festival? I'm REALLY hyped right now...
MALoween 2017 Candy:

Nov 8, 2017 8:39 AM

Finally some character developments and it's Ishigami this time around.

Nov 9, 2017 4:34 PM

This chapter made me so sad, but oh man I can't wait to see more about this Ishigami arc! I love this guy so much.

Nov 12, 2017 7:33 AM

Osaragi doing her role and ishigami was expelled and is hated by a false rumor now.

Nov 23, 2017 12:46 AM

Thr disciplinary committee has it hard.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."

Feb 10, 2019 8:29 AM

Mentar said:
Extremely high on exposition this time, very little humor. Letting Osaragi tell it in third-person summary helped to summarize the backstory in very little time, though it's violating the important "show, don't tell" rule. But I guess Asa-sensei felt that it would take too much time otherwise.

It's evident that we're getting serious character development between Ishigami and Iino, and I'm already looking forward to it quite a bit :) ... most of the "serious" chapters in the past were among the best. Looking forward to it!

"Rule", you say. Hm...

The "show don't tell" writing technique doesn't really necessarily directly applies to a work's qualities regarding writing, content or even message in the written medium (of which comics and manga are kind of hybrid with the visual one, in which it actually has much more reliability overall for its own set of limitations and advantages). It's not "violating an important rule in writing" or whatever, it's simply not using given optional technique as a basis in order to present its elements.

Particularly, this author's narrative exposition is really well done and comfortable to read, be it for comedic effect or even for full blown characterization in the perspective of different characters (or the clever omniscient narration per se, when it takes itself seriously here and provide relevant information in key circumstances of which particular characters are more apt to introduce a plot device or a further insight on a certain character or relevant detail).

TL;DR (not really)
Using the "show don't tell" technique doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't the ideal way of something to be portrayed, much for the contrary, there are much more instances where I've seen people using it improperly as a key element in several works just because they took it for granted that it was some kind of "rule" to be followed in order to provide the better quality of content. Particularly, many books and movies/series of the mystery genre many times fall flat because of their lack in proper exposition and descriptions, often to rely in the "show don't tell" in order to make things more unreliably enigmatic, and instead creating a convoluted and not fully resolved plot.

It's not wrong (much for the contrary) for people to use heavy exposition, infodumps and "show don't tell" altogether if they so wanted to, the important thing is to use these presentation techniques effectively in their respective especific scenes, and this author is yet to fail me in that regard... with maybe the exception of the Firework Festival arc's climax, which I personally found a bit rushed and lacking here and there (especially with Shirogane's encounter with Kaguya bellow those stairs)....... but that chapter was so good that I kinda forgive that in a way.

As usual, "Tropes are tools".

May 12, 2019 7:27 AM

Okay, so literally no one will comment about the last panel and how Ishigami looked so hot?

Jul 7, 2019 1:59 PM

It's chapters like this that shows why this manga is so amazing. This chapter implies but doesn't prove. We've already known something about Ishigami's past through his own statements. We knew he was shunned due to something he did, but he has intentionally avoided bringing up the subject for his own reasons. This chapter uses an outside character to describe what Ishigami's situation actually is. We finally learn what the rumor around him actually is, and we see what people around him actually think about him. A critical revelation is that his classmates know that he likes Ino, which is something Ishigami is sure to believe no one else knows.

This chapter also shows who Isaragi actually is. She is a sidekick to a background character so there was no need to really dive into her character. What we do see is a person who knows a great deal of what's going on, but avoids doing anything unnecessary. She is a much more significant character than I thought, though her value comes from avoiding standing out.

Jul 10, 2019 7:49 AM

What the Hell. Aka Akasaka just reused pretty much the exact same negative rumor plot point on Ishigami that she used for Kuro from Instant Bullet. How did she get away with this?
Modified by EsotericDesign, Jul 10, 2019 8:02 AM
All you can hope for in your worldview is consistency