Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Mar 16, 2010 6:27 PM

According to The Research Institute for Publications (RIP), the yearly sales of manga (magazines and comic books) in 2009 was 418.7 billion yen and made a year-on-year decrease of 6.6%, which is the largest drop since the onset of RIP records.

Chart: Manga Sales in Japan 1991 - 2009

Manga Magazines: 191.3 billion yen (-9.4%)
Comic Books: 227.4 billion yen (-4.2%)

RIP attributes the drop to three reasons:
1. Effect of the economic recession
2. Spread of Manga Cafe
3. Small number of big hit titles

Sources: NHK, RIP
Modified by dtshyk, Mar 16, 2010 6:36 PM

Mar 16, 2010 6:54 PM

lol, RIP. The irony.

Anyways, what do you expect? Do to the economic downturn, I'm pretty sure they're gonna choose basic necessities over manga even if they're hardcore otaku.

Mar 16, 2010 6:55 PM

Wow, magazine sales have been on the drop for 15 years now...
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans

Mar 16, 2010 7:02 PM
On the Case

>1. Effect of the economic recession
>2. Spread of Manga Cafe
>3. Small number of big hit titles

Japan never ceases to amaze me with what little brainpower they have when it comes to sensibility.

Protip: There's this thing called the internet and it is not a big truck. It is a series of tubes in which manga can be found. For free.

Blame everything on the recession.

Number three is also ridiculous, with the biggest big hit (most popular) titles of all time being released in the last 15 years (One piece, Naruto, Bleach, etc).

Mar 16, 2010 7:03 PM

The internet is most likely reason #4, if not higher.

And those Manga Cafes sound like fun. I usually go to Borders or Barnes & Noble to read manga. :D

Mar 16, 2010 7:05 PM

Damn, I wish they had manga cafes in Canada. There's absolutely nothing fun to do here but go to national parks.

Mar 16, 2010 7:15 PM

wtf it's still a lot of money

Mar 16, 2010 7:22 PM

My purchasing has been rising exponentially. :D (or D: for my $$$)

Mar 16, 2010 7:23 PM

I think its a combination of recession and Internet. Less spending power, off to the Internet for the manga fix. Bingo, more money for daily expenditure.

Mar 16, 2010 7:33 PM
Small numbers of big hit titles, I agree. I only buy One Piece and Naruto

Mar 16, 2010 8:01 PM

They're missing the most important issue for the manga industry (and the entire country), the demographic problems- declining population+aging population.

Mar 16, 2010 8:30 PM
Kamehamayhem said:
Damn, I wish they had manga cafes in Canada. There's absolutely nothing fun to do here but go to national parks.

WRONG!! You can always go to Daves Farm :P
Look up daves farm on youtube.
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you're part of the 8% who listens to real music copy/paste this into your sig.

Mar 16, 2010 9:05 PM
Kamehamayhem said:
This.

Mar 16, 2010 10:11 PM

Dang, I blame #2

Mar 16, 2010 10:31 PM

>.> i blame greedy companys that short sell that caused the recession
and obama also dont ask why

btw i second that idea for manga cafes but in australia also also maid cafes xD and loli cafes

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already

Mar 16, 2010 10:36 PM

Is this a bad news?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 16, 2010 11:00 PM

not really but then again it could be

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

fix MAL already

Mar 16, 2010 11:56 PM
Notably I've only ever read a small handful of manga's. I'm mostly an anime watcher.

It's only really bad news if the drop somehow makes a good manga/anime cancel it's release or end early. When thing's get tight many companies start creating cheap crap to fill the shelves. It's kind of like printing more money. It makes every individual note worth less. At least I assume that the industry will respond just like normal western industries and shoot itself in the foot if things get bad enough.

Obtw Aisha.

The internet isn't some kind of world wide devil. In places like Canada for instance sales have actually risen. Reason being? More access, more interest, and more people that actually know how much awesome the Japanese crank out every year.

Without the internet the only way I would have ever seen an anime is horribly redubbed, censored, and or maimed ytv episodes that are only bought in half seasons. That I own as many box sets and individual titles as I do now is almost completely owed to fan subbing. The only exceptions being Inuyasha, Dragonball, undam wing, and Knights of the Zodiac. All of which I tried to watch bits and pieces of in a weekly fanatic like fashion on Ytv in my teens. One new episode a week; none of the series were actually complete.

That I've read any manga at all is Completely because of the internet. Without fan subbing it would be not to say impossible; merely extremely difficult.

p.s. Very much in agreement in regards to somehow creating a chain of manga's cafes in Canada. Preferably western Canada but I suppose we do have to share with Ontario... A little bit. That kind of environment sounds like somewhere I'd crash for long periods of time. At least so long as they didn't get to be retardedly overpriced.

Mar 17, 2010 12:47 AM

Lots and lots of money O.O

Mar 17, 2010 2:17 AM

1) Ever heard about the economy crisis?
2) You can read free manga online at hundreds of different websites.

Mar 17, 2010 2:26 AM

RIP---> it cracked me..
"..Hibari Kyoya is L.O.V.E..."

.. Wanna ask me something? Clicky HERE~!

Mar 17, 2010 2:29 AM

I think it's most likely due to the economical crisis worldwide. Manga rarely come cheap y'know..

Mar 17, 2010 2:46 AM

what u talken bout there 10 bucks US a Tankōbon 15-16 AUD which is getten ridiculous then it only rises to a ton for better mangas x.x id buy the akira manga sept it was like $40 each x,x bloody comic book guy!

fix MAL already

Mar 17, 2010 3:43 AM
rolddy said:

not so if converted to dollars. O.o

Mar 17, 2010 3:58 AM

When the manga market in japan starts promotional advancement for good quality diversed stuff that truly applies to most of the market, like they did on previous eras which actually set in motion the future of manga, then it's going to sell,otherwise it's not going to increase no matter how much they whine about how Dragon Ball or One Piece won't sell another 500 million copies.
It isn't surprising that the crumbing of the manga that has been going for 15 years is still ongoing, because there hasn't been any drastic change necessary which could have stopped this. How long it might take for Japan to realize another hit like it happened on the 50's and the 70's is necessary is completely up to them, not about them censoring all the internet in hopes people buy them even in times of recession though.

Mar 17, 2010 5:15 AM
maybe they should change there name because the name RIP is killing there statistics XD

Mar 17, 2010 6:52 AM

ios said:
maybe they should change there name because the name RIP is killing there statistics XD

Absolutely. xD
RIP... oh, the irony. xD

This is... kinda bad news, but not really unexpected, due to the economy crisis and all. :/ Plus: People read less than before, it's a trend all over the world. Magazines and newspapers are pretty much doomed.

3. Small number of big hit titles

If you ask me, there are manga out there far better than the "big hits", but they just don't get the attention they deserve and aren't suitebale for the mass, I guess. :/

Mar 17, 2010 7:24 AM

Wonder if Book-Off has something to do with it...
I mean, when you can buy 2nd hand manga in near new quality for 104yen per manga, rather than spending between 300-1500yen for one manga (on average around 400yen) then you can see which is going to sell more. I'll bet 2nd hand manga sales aren't counted in the stats.

Check out SunnyCon! The North-East of England's newest and biggest convention of anime, manga and Japanese culture!
Now a club on MAL too!

Mar 17, 2010 7:28 AM

Hello Internet.

Mar 17, 2010 7:47 AM
I can't believe there are so many people reading manga on the computer.. I can barely stand a single chapter at a time ~~

Mar 17, 2010 8:20 AM

LOL @ idiots who actually think that Japanese people prefer to go to some English site to read a small percentage of the manga that's available in Japan in English (a language that most Japanese people aren't very proficient in, especially not kids) and no, there aren't any Japanese sites that hosts manga in Japanese (to my knowledge), since they would quickly get shut down by the publishing corporation's lawyers.

Mar 17, 2010 8:23 AM

I don't see this as much of a surprise, not in this economy anyway. I don't know Japan's whole situation, but they are obviously making sure their necessities are being met, and not wasting their yen on manga.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 17, 2010 8:47 AM

i would say the internet is probably the bigger if not biggest reason for the better part of the last decade. free is just hard to compete with when you're charging.

Mar 17, 2010 9:58 AM
AfterGlow said:
there aren't any Japanese sites that hosts manga in Japanese (to my knowledge), since they would quickly get shut down by the publishing corporation's lawyers.

it's the internet, you can always find it if you look hard enough. You should know this.

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider

Mar 17, 2010 10:04 AM

I still buy all my manga, about $25-50 every two months. My shelf is happy. Anyways, until the recession is over I guess it'll keep dropping. If only we had Manga cafes.. I'm in love with the concept. But then sales would only drop further. :/

Mar 17, 2010 11:07 AM

kkslider5552000 said:
AfterGlow said:
there aren't any Japanese sites that hosts manga in Japanese (to my knowledge), since they would quickly get shut down by the publishing corporation's lawyers.

it's the internet, you can always find it if you look hard enough. You should know this.

Look for it hard and you'll might find it, this is the reason why the manga sales are dropping, derp.

It doesn't change the fact that it's not common, and the organisation that actually knows the deal doesn't list internet as any reason to why the sales are dropping.
Only a bunch of morons on MAL who don't know shit is.

Learn the difference between the manga market in Japan and the manga market outside of Japan.

Mar 17, 2010 12:20 PM

no money no honey! >.>

Mar 17, 2010 12:40 PM

zenith_kim94 said:
rolddy said:

not so if converted to dollars. O.o

this kid thinks 4.6 billion dollars isn't a lot of money

either he's stupid, or he's stupid.

Mar 17, 2010 1:18 PM

So RIP good manga sales I guess?

also

iiAnnie said:
1) Ever heard about the economy crisis?
2) You can read free manga online at hundreds of different websites.

This, but especially the first one. And I'm pretty sure there are a few sites in Japanese where you can download manga, probably even more than "a few". Just type "漫画" (manga in Japanese) with "download" in Japanese, but appearently I forgot how to write download in Japanese and not really willing to search it only for this post. And of course other variants, like "free" instead of "download", but I seriously suck at kanji/hiragana/whatever the fuck so yeah. And then there's of course the English and Chinese sites who offer free raw manga, don't forget about them. It's not "hard" to find at all if you use a certain search machine called "Google", yayay~

Mar 17, 2010 1:40 PM

Piracy has nothing to do with bad manga sales in Japan.

Mar 17, 2010 4:00 PM
what do u expect with capitalists running the world?
"Forged in darkness with wheat harvested from Hell's half acre. Baked by Beelzabub; slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chickens, force-fed to dogs by the hands of a one-eyed madman. Cheese boiled from the rancid utters of fanged cows. Layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."
ATHF

Mar 17, 2010 4:59 PM
manga is slowly dying, unfortunately. i dont buy manga, never have. i plan to if i ever have any money to commit to it. oh noes its my fault. that KILLS manga
YEEUH

Mar 17, 2010 5:33 PM

So people finally stopped caring about overlong series like Naruto and since they were casuals and didn't direct their buying power to anything else = zomghugedropinannualsales
Modified by 108s9001, Mar 17, 2010 5:53 PM

Mar 17, 2010 5:59 PM

androidphantom said:
manga is slowly dying, unfortunately. i dont buy manga, never have. i plan to if i ever have any money to commit to it. oh noes its my fault. that KILLS manga

Manga and anime will never die.

Mar 17, 2010 8:19 PM
This sucks. I'm not surprised though. All the more reason why I detest the greedy bastards who triggered the national-then-global recession in the first place. If I'm not mistaken, manga artists don't get payed a lot either unless I'm wrong.

Mar 18, 2010 12:50 AM
Supply and demand. Demand for manga drops. Demand for Anime increase. Ah, the free market system.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.